Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D

Re: John Landis - Top Secret Thriller Project!!!! Coming 2017

Whenever I hear anything bad about John I think of that interview he did when he was choked up talking about Michael when he passed. I choose to believe he spoke truth that day and prefer to think of that than any other nonsense he may have said.

I see on Twitter people are boycotting Thriller 3D. It seems crazy. It's one of Michael's best music videos - you'd think these people wanted it expunged from Michael's catalogue...

CrazyVegasMJ - thanks for reminding me there was a 3D This Is It! I forgot about it. Gonna order now.
And that was most likely heartfelt and genuine-that's a good way to look at it. The worst I'll say about John is that he can be an obnoxious jerk-but he's always been that way. Not so bad during The Making of Thriller, but pretty darn obnoxious behind the scenes of Black or White. I can't forgive or forget some of the more descpicable things he said, just like I can't about Quincy, BUT I do prefer to think of them at the time when things were great. Reading about Quincy's lawsuit makes me picture them on the night of the Grammy's-when they were hysterically happy and so was I.

That being said about John though, two of my favorite movies are Trading Places and Coming to America. In fact, I could sit and watch Coming to America any time, any place, any where.

Why in the world would people boycott Thriller 3D? I thought people were excited about it.

And that was most likely heartfelt and genuine-that's a good way to look at it. The worst I'll say about John is that he can be an obnoxious jerk-but he's always been that way. Not so bad during The Making of Thriller, but pretty darn obnoxious behind the scenes of Black or White. I can't forgive or forget some of the more descpicable things he said, just like I can't about Quincy, BUT I do prefer to think of them at the time when things were great. Reading about Quincy's lawsuit makes me picture them on the night of the Grammy's-when they were hysterically happy and so was I.

That being said about John though, two of my favorite movies are Trading Places and Coming to America. In fact, I could sit and watch Coming to America any time, any place, any where.

Why in the world would people boycott Thriller 3D? I thought people were excited about it.

These are probably the same people who boycotted Xscape and the reason that it didn't enter at #1. These people don't realize that they are hurting Michael's legacy. How sad!!

There are those that boycott anything releated to the estate. The ironic thing is that they prob dont have the equipment to watch a home release of it anyway. Same as most fans.

Nothing post 09 effects mjs legacy musically. Such releases are irrelevent to what mj created and released himself.

I am kinda excited about this project... I love the Thriller short film, and I don't care much for 3D, but if this means that they scanned the original film rolls in 4K, polished it, made it widescreen possibly... that would be marvelous. I would love to buy Thriller in widescreen 4K.

These are probably the same people who boycotted Xscape and the reason that it didn't enter at #1. These people don't realize that they are hurting Michael's legacy. How sad!!

Don't be silly, that's not the reason it didn't get to number one.

Also, after the "Michael" fiasco, I can't blame anyone for turning their back on the Estate and what they stand for. At the best of times, it doesn't see, like they stand for MJ's artistic legacy.

Bottom line- support something if you want, and if others don't want to? Get over it

Let people boycott if they want. There missing out on some great stuff whilst they wallow in misery and conspiracy.

Me? I'm determined to enjoy MJ - pre and post 2009 - for the rest of my life.

boycott for what reason? For what purpose?

I am very interested in the Making of Thriller.

Surely they must have "upscaled it" or what it is called to make it better quality. If they show the same old VHS quality we have on a big screen it will look crap.
If we get The Making of Thriller in HQ released on Blu-Ray this project will be great.

I don't really care much about 3D or a new ending... - The original Thriller video in HD released on Blu-Ray THAT would be great!!!

I am very interested in the Making of Thriller.

Surely they must have "upscaled it" or what it is called to make it better quality. If they show the same old VHS quality we have on a big screen it will look crap.
If we get The Making of Thriller in HQ released on Blu-Ray this project will be great.

I don't really care much about 3D or a new ending... - The original Thriller video in HD released on Blu-Ray THAT would be great!!!

If they're going to premiere it at a film festival, there's a pretty good chance they have restored it.

Yes, I'd see no point showing it if it hadn't been improved in some way. It's not like the festival would need a 30+ year old VHS to use as filler.

^ I hope it's different than the original making but maybe not.. who knows? I mean wouldn't/shouldn't it be titled "making of Thriller 3D" if it was really different? or at least give it some type of different name from the original?

^ I hope it's different than the original making but maybe not.. who knows? I mean wouldn't/shouldn't it be titled "making of Thriller 3D" if it was really different? or at least give it some type of different name from the original?
I don't think so. The Making of Thriller was an interesting BTS and film of Michael's history to that point. BTS of Thriller 3D would be a bunch of guys on computers converting the film. That doesn't sound too interesting.

Do y'all think it would be release on Blu-Ray for the Halloween holiday?

I am sure they go the film negatives for this Making of Documentary. I've been hoping for a HD version.

If they're going to premiere it at a film festival, there's a pretty good chance they have restored it.

I hope so very much. Then we might actually - finally - be able to get it on Blu-Ray in great quality.

Good news: Thriller 3D will come in special events from the Venice Film Festival that will be held from August 30 to September 9
CR: Screendaily

Last edited:

^ Yes and they will release an official schedule of events "soon" ...!

Can fans buy the tickets to the special screening? or only reporters are allowed in?

^ More than reporters will be allowed in, they are just not releasing any details that would help those outside of media outlets to get in.. ie. waiting later and later to release times and dates of each event.. People would need to make travel arrangements etc if fans really wanted to see.. but we get a "coming soon"

Does anyone know if it will be premiering at any other film festivals? I hope it makes it my way!

any recent news about this release?

We only know that it will be shown at the festival.. waiting on exact date/time within the 9 day event.. no release news for post festival

"Michael Jackson's Thriller 3D will premiere at the upcoming Venice Film Festival, three years after Jackson's estate settled their legal battle with director John Landis and first announced plans to rerelease the singer's "Thriller" music video in 3-D.

Landis, along with Optimum Productions, supervised the updated version of the legendary 1983 video – the greatest music video of all time – that now boasts "the highest quality audio and visual experience" via "the latest available technology" in addition to the 3D conversion.

"I am so happy to have had the chance not only to restore but enhance Michael Jackson's Thriller," Landis said in a statement. "We took full advantage of the remarkable advances in technology to add new dimensions to both the visual and the audio bringing it to a whole new level. Even though Thriller was shot traditionally, I was able to use the 3-D creatively. Let me just warn you, there is a rather shocking surprise in there."

Jackson estate co-executors John Branca and John McClain added, "Michael Jackson made Thriller a rich theatrical experience: Fun, funny, scary and wildly entertaining. No one before or since has made anything like it. Michael Jackson's Thriller 3D is a modern day technical enhancement of his and John Landis’ original vision, and I think fans will love it."

The premiere at the Venice Film Festival, which begins August 30th, will also include a screening of the Making of Michael Jackson's Thriller documentary that aired on MTV and Showtime when the video first premiered; the mini-documentary, created to offset the production costs of the "Thriller" video, has been out-of-print since the VHS stopped being produced in 1990.

Plans for a wider release for Michael Jackson's Thriller 3D have not yet been revealed. The 3-D version of the 14-minute short film was originally conceived as a backdrop during Jackson's planned This Is It tour. However, shortly before Jackson's death, Landis and the singer's estate soon became embroiled in a legal battle over the ownership of the film, a fight that lasted nearly five years."

Link: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...ller-3d-to-screen-at-venice-film-fest-w496275

Press reports:

Michael Jackson's Thriller 3D will premiere at the upcoming Venice Film Festival, three years after Jackson's estate settled their legal battle with director John Landis and first announced plans to rerelease the singer's "Thriller" music video in 3-D.

Landis, along with Optimum Productions, supervised the updated version of the legendary 1983 video – the greatest music video of all time – that now boasts "the highest quality audio and visual experience" via "the latest available technology" in addition to the 3D conversion.

"I am so happy to have had the chance not only to restore but enhance Michael Jackson's Thriller," Landis said in a statement. "We took full advantage of the remarkable advances in technology to add new dimensions to both the visual and the audio bringing it to a whole new level. Even though Thriller was shot traditionally, I was able to use the 3-D creatively. Let me just warn you, there is a rather shocking surprise in there."

Jackson estate co-executors John Branca and John McClain added, "Michael Jackson made Thriller a rich theatrical experience: Fun, funny, scary and wildly entertaining. No one before or since has made anything like it. Michael Jackson's Thriller 3D is a modern day technical enhancement of his and John Landis’ original vision, and I think fans will love it."

The premiere at the Venice Film Festival, which begins August 30th, will also include a screening of the Making of Michael Jackson's Thriller documentary that aired on MTV and Showtime when the video first premiered; the mini-documentary, created to offset the production costs of the "Thriller" video, has been out-of-print since the VHS stopped being produced in 1990.

Plans for a wider release for Michael Jackson's Thriller 3D have not yet been revealed. The 3-D version of the 14-minute short film was originally conceived as a backdrop during Jackson's planned This Is It tour. However, shortly before Jackson's death, Landis and the singer's estate soon became embroiled in a legal battle over the ownership of the film, a fight that lasted nearly five years.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/n...ller-3d-to-screen-at-venice-film-fest-w496275

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also as above.......

John Branca, co-executor of the estate of Michael Jackson, describes the restored and enhanced Thriller as “authentic, visceral and still impactful. When you see it in a theater on the big screen with a theater-level sound system, it’s pretty unbelievable,” he adds. “Michael was going to use 3D elements on the This Is It tour, so this is something Michael would have done. He would love this.”

Branca and fellow Jackson estate co-executor John McClain will join Landis when Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D is screened at the Venice Film Festival along with the original Making of Michael Jackson’s Thriller. It was Branca, Jackson’s then-attorney, who negotiated the history-making deal between MTV and Showtime for this first of its kind documentary, which helped offset the cost of filming Thriller.

According to Branca, more news and events tied to Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D will be announced in the coming weeks. Thriller remains the only music video to be inducted into the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress.

http://www.billboard.com/articles/c...riller-3d-world-premiere-venice-film-festival

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you weren’t around in 1983, it’s all but impossible to understand the sensation caused by the release of the music video for Michael Jackson’s “Thriller” – and it’s impossible for those of us who were here to overstate it. The 14-minute promotional clip for the title single from Jackson’s blockbuster album wasn’t just a “music video”; it was a full-on short film, with wrap-around story and dialogue scenes, directed and written by John Landis (Animal House), whose 1981 film An American Werewolf in London inspired Jackson’s vision for the video. (Landis brought along that film’s Oscar-winning make-up artist Rick Baker to provide the convincing creature effects.) From its ambitious conception to its big-screen personnel to its successful theatrical run and home video release, Michael Jackson’s Thriller was treated less like a music video than a movie (and it’s the only music video in the Library of Congress’ National Film Registry). So it only makes sense that, like many beloved movies from our recent past, it’s being re-mastered and re-released in 3D.

Landis supervised the restoration and conversion from the original 35mm negative, provided by the Jackson estate archives. (If you’re curious about how they make a 3D movie out of one that wasn’t shot that way, here’s more on that.) In addition to the visual work, the film’s audio – the song, the effects, and Elmer Bernstein’s original score – has been upgraded to 5.7, 7.1, and Atmos standards. So as usual, however you feel about slapping a layer of 3D on an old movie, at least they’re doing a restoration first.

Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D will make its world premiere at the 74th annual Venice Film Festival next month, alongside its original companion film The Making of Michael Jackson’s Thriller – an hour-long behind-the-scenes documentary whose broadcast sale to MTV and Showtime and release on VHS offset the costs of the pricey Thriller film itself. Making Of has never been released on any other format, and Thriller has never been released on Blu-ray – so here’s hoping there’s more news on that front to come.

http://flavorwire.com/609047/michael-jacksons-thriller-is-getting-a-3-d-upgrade

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As above , with additional material:

Thriller premiered at the AVCO Theatre in Los Angeles in 1983, and it sold out every night for three weeks. It remains the only music video to be inducted into the National Film Registry by the Library of Congress. It is fitting that Michael Jackson’s Thriller 3D and Making of Michael Jackson’sThriller will premiere at the prestigious Venice Film Festival, the oldest film festival in the world. The Making of Michael Jackson’s Thriller was available on VHS from 1983-1990, and has never been available for purchase in any format since then. Its screening in Venice will mark the first time that the award-winning documentary has ever been shown in a theater.

Read more at http://www.comingsoon.net/horror/news/877029-michael-jacksons-thriller-3d#sUxIfGvZcIrQslid.99

Last edited:
Re: Michael Jackson's Thriller 3D to Premiere at Venice Film Festival

Great news. I just hope that the other short films get same kind of 4K restoration. No 3D.

Thanks, great news indeed !
So the short film is confirmed to be restored, both on video and audio sides which is just neat. Can't wait to put my hands on it :)

Let's wait and see if the documentary followed the same treatment.

Great news. I just hope that the other short films get same kind of 4K restoration. No 3D.

It may not be possible for some of them like Billie Jean. Even if shot on film originally, I remember reading that visual effects for Billie Jean were mixed / created on a lower-resolution film, making an HD or 4K conversion impossible.

1 month out man... I just realized/remembered we have 5 weeks this month! :doh:

Not trying to be a smart @ss.. is there a reason we split this into a new thread?

Back