Michael Jackson's Vocal Fach

Something completely different brought to re-think about high frequency vocals...
...and reminded me I was curious about comparing Mariah Carey's Emotions which reportedly has the high vocal note in popular music, G7 with MJ/Gibbs' All In Your Name . ...as I had the impression they might come close. And as I think I mentioned, I find All In Your Name more impressive considering that they are actually singing words...

I thought some tool to measure notes would be easy to find, but the first ones I tried just didn't work. I ended up trying with two Android application, on two phones.
In Emotions it measured a C7, maybe a F7 at a brief moment (but haven't gone through the all songs as it was unpractical).
In All In You Name it measured up to things around D5, F5 and sometimes somthing-6 (that last time MJ says "follow me" I think).

I'm not sure at all if my test is accurate, and they're not precisely the same from on try to another, I would be interested if someone else know how to make it right. But yet I found potentially interesting that they're high than MJ's reported higher notes...

Something completely different brought to re-think about high frequency vocals...
...and reminded me I was curious about comparing Mariah Carey's Emotions which reportedly has the high vocal note in popular music, G7 with MJ/Gibbs' All In Your Name . ...as I had the impression they might come close. And as I think I mentioned, I find All In Your Name more impressive considering that they are actually singing words...

I thought some tool to measure notes would be easy to find, but the first ones I tried just didn't work. I ended up trying with two Android application, on two phones.
In Emotions it measured a C7, maybe a F7 at a brief moment (but haven't gone through the all songs as it was unpractical).
In All In You Name it measured up to things around D5, F5 and sometimes somthing-6 (that last time MJ says "follow me" I think).

I'm not sure at all if my test is accurate, and they're not precisely the same from on try to another, I would be interested if someone else know how to make it right. But yet I found potentially interesting that they're high than MJ's reported higher notes...
In terms of actual full (chest/mixed) voice range, the highest I've heard from adult MJ is F5 (in "Enjoy Yourself). The lowest full voice note from him I've heard is F#2 (in the vocal warmup). There was also a really bad vocal fry F2 in the vocal warmup. All of the "hee-hee" "aaow" and "ooh" is falsetto, not really his full voice range.

So that's 3 octaves in full voice, which is quite impressive.

I don't know much about this, I just know Seth Rigs said he had a 4 octave range. I think this is the only true answer as someone who was a vocal coach to Michael for years would know best. A lot of information on the internet is based on songs released by MJ and not on what he could actually do / sing.

I also found this article interesting from 2017

Back