Michael originally considered to play the lead in The Crow

MJBT

Proud Member
The 1994 film adaption of The Crow was'nt originally going to be as dark as the comic according to James O'Barr the first idea the producers came up with was to make it a musical starring Michael heres a vid with O'Barr explaining just to prove I'm not making this up.

I like the final film Brand Lee is amazing, although I would like to have seen this as a musical with Michael would you?

Thanks for sharing!

I found that Mike would play as Vampire Pimp in the "House of Pain":

Pop Icon Michael Jackson was originally going to have a cameo in the "House of Pain" sequence as a "Vampire Pimp" that Nyssa encounters as she searches the upstairs hall. Jackson had to drop out due to scheduling conflicts and the part was played by a Czech actor. The sequence was ultimately cut out entirely for pacing reasons.

http://marvel-movies.wikia.com/wiki/Blade_II_Trivia

So many producers had him in mind for different roles... Too bad nothing ever materialized.

Well I love the movie with Brandon and can't imagine it different than what we all know now, let alone as a musical. I don't think it was meant to be for Michael, but it's an interesting new fact :)

I wish he did play Edward scissorhands. He was the 1st choice for that role and how fitting would that movie been for Michael.

I wish he did play Edward scissorhands. He was the 1st choice for that role and how fitting would that movie been for Michael.

Hm, I don't know about that. I think the public would have a hard time separating Michael from the character he plays, and this would only make him seem even more "weird" to them. Plus, Michael just wasn't that great of an actor, imo.

It's a shame Michael never got to direct his own movies like he always wanted to, I think that could've been very interesting.

You learn something new everyday, how about that. I'd had been interesting Michael being involved in the project.

IMO, racism, the Chandlers and Arvizos ruined his opportunities to make more movies.
Johnny Depp did a wonderful job performing Edward but Michael was a closer real version than Johnny. Not because of being weird in reality, I've never considered him such thing and I bet the people who were closer to him and millions of fans either but many people do, treated him like a freak and was a loner just like Edward. That's why I totally envisioned Michael performing that role.

I can't really picture this movie being a musical, nor Michael being a vampire pimp (ok maybe that lol :p ). Interesting. I wish Michael could have played Peter Pan though. That would have been a great role for him.

I can't really picture this movie being a musical, nor Michael being a vampire pimp (ok maybe that lol :p ). Interesting. I wish Michael could have played Peter Pan though. That would have been a great role for him.

As it happens, I had a dream once of Michael being a vampire. He wasn't the evil type, though, and CERTAINLY not a pimp. (Uggghhh!) His part in the dream was very small, but I distinctly remember how he came off as being very nice, sweet, and shy. The funny thing about that is that the dream occurred back when I knew very little of the man, yet it still got the personality right! (-:

Hm, I don't know about that. I think the public would have a hard time separating Michael from the character he plays, and this would only make him seem even more "weird" to them. Plus, Michael just wasn't that great of an actor, imo.

I certainly disagree, I think Ghosts is a great example of what he could do and possibly Bad extended version as well as others. I mean with Ghosts his voice and whole persona changed, he had the ability to do that. After all that's what good actors are capable of. Short films may not seem like a good place to look for great performances but with Michael's type of short films, he had to have some sort of acting ability. I think he certainly did and Edward Scissorhands has always seemed like a project that might've been good for him to show that.

It's a shame Michael never got to direct his own movies like he always wanted to, I think that could've been very interesting.

I have to disagree Michael is one of best things in The Wiz, in the extended video for Bad he is on form and firing, I would like to seen Michael work with some of the directors of his videos in films especially with Martin Scorsese, David Fincher & John Singleton

Michael did great playing as characters in full getup, because thats what he wasused to. But roles without disguises, those weren't very good. Captain EO, Moonwalker, BAD, Agent M. I wouldn't exactly call any of those examples of great acting.

^I totally disagree on your comment, Michael was the only one who received possitive critiques on The Wiz, he didn't have negative on Thriller, Captain Eo, Bad, Moonwalker, Ghosts and most importantly, he isn't considered the worst singer turned actor. In all the lists I checked, he doesn't appear. Madonna is another story...

http://www.imdb.com/list/wG7Rs4YsBGM/

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/movies-without-pity/the-last-song-the-worst-singer/

http://www.mattsmoviereviews.net/spotlight-a-closer-look-singers-turned-actors.html

http://www.makefive.com/categories/entertainment/movies/the-worst-singer-turned-actors

I might post some more.

Last edited:
Michael did great playing as characters in full getup, because thats what he was used to. But roles without disguises, those weren't very good. Captain EO, Moonwalker, BAD, Agent M. I wouldn't exactly call any of those examples of great acting.

That's what I mean. He wasn't terrible but there are better actors out there and I don't think MJ should have had roles handed to him just because of who he was.

^I totally disagree on your comment, Michael was the only one who received possitive critiques on The Wiz, he didn't have negative on Thriller, Captain Eo, Bad, Moonwalker, Ghosts and most importantly, he isn't considered the worst singer turned actor. In all the lists I checked, he doesn't appear. Madonna is another story...

http://www.imdb.com/list/wG7Rs4YsBGM/

http://www.televisionwithoutpity.com/show/movies-without-pity/the-last-song-the-worst-singer/

http://www.mattsmoviereviews.net/spotlight-a-closer-look-singers-turned-actors.html

http://www.makefive.com/categories/entertainment/movies/the-worst-singer-turned-actors

I might post some more.

Again, in The Wiz he was fully disguised and only had a minor part, his acting part in Thriller (where he actually has to speak and 'carry' the character) is what, 2 minutes long? Captain EO and Moonwalker have bad reviews (check IMDB) and I've heard negative things about MJ's acting in Bad. The reason he's not on that list is probably because he's not really known for his acting (and acting in music videos doesn't count because virtually all artists do that). He never played a major part in any movie, where he had to transform into another person and display different emotions.

Of course he shouldn't have parts just because he was Michael Jackson, but let's face it... that's exactly how many actors & actresses these days get their roles, not everyone but a lot of them do and aren't even that good. He certainly didn't have a longer part in movies because he wasn't allowed to & probably for the same reason you say "because he was Michael Jackson" also, you're forgetting about Ghosts, which is certainly longer & a bit more "challenging". I think that Bad, Moonwalker, Captain EO weren't intended to be "great" movies, they were mainly extended musical videos which has to be one of the reasons they got bad reviews. I think if he had had the opportunity to work on his acting, be trained & that stuff, it would've been much better because he already had some of that ability in him. Any form of acting counts in order to get more "serious" movie roles IMO & some of today's famous actors/actresses started their careers with music videos, so it does count.

Last edited:
Again, in The Wiz he was fully disguised and only had a minor part, his acting part in Thriller (where he actually has to speak and 'carry' the character) is what, 2 minutes long? Captain EO and Moonwalker have bad reviews (check IMDB) and I've heard negative things about MJ's acting in Bad. The reason he's not on that list is probably because he's not really known for his acting (and acting in music videos doesn't count because virtually all artists do that). He never played a major part in any movie, where he had to transform into another person and display different emotions.

The bolded part, are you serious?

Tell that to Jodie Foster who debuted in Banana Republic commercial
Courtney Cox (Bruce Springsteen- Dancing In The Dark)
Liv Tyler and Alicia Silverstone (Aerosmith- Crazy)
Wesley Snipes and Angelina Jolie were already acting but they had more exposure when he appeared on BAD- MJ and she appeared in the video Anybody Seen My Baby- The Rolling Stones

The racism there's in the industry didn't let Michael to improve his acting but he was powerful enough to have high profile directors accepting to work with him and his short films stand out from the crowd because many of them are crappy.

This thread is great. :D Made my summer, I thought Michael would have been quite fitting for the film ..If it was indeed like * The Crow* as WE know it, Michael in my opinion would have portrayed beautiful Eric's emotion very well. A musical would have been soooo vivid, So moving and maybe ground breaking ? Hmmm...where else could they have taken the story ? maybe a whole different theme ? I adore that film anyway so for me it's SO nice to think about.
the-crow-james-o-barr.jpg
the_crow_by_345_litres_of_blood-d4epjty.jpg

Back