Michael Receives Awards

King Sanwi - Crowning

February

In February, 1992, on occasion of one of his goodwill trips to Africa, Michael Jackson is crowned King Sanwi by King Nana Amon Ndoufou IV - ruler of Sanwi on the Ivory Coast - during vast ceremonies held in the Village of Krindjabo. Jackson is also welcomed on February 11 by 100,000 people when he arrives in Libreville, Gabon, President Omar Bongo recompensing him with the 'National Honor Of Merit Award' on behalf of the country of Gabon, West-Central Africa, at the Ambassador's Hall in the Presidential Palace.

Smiling modestly and sitting on a golden throne white two young bare-breasted virgins fanned him in 90-degree weather and two small boys stood guard, megastar Michael Jackson was crowned "king of sanwi" in a West African village. During impressive ceremonies observed by a huge crowd, the 33-year-old entertainer was regal in his bearing as a crown of gold was placed upon his head by Amon N'Djafok, the traditional tribal chief of the Village of Krindjabo, Ivory Coast, West Africa.

The shy singing sensation who once told Jet that he "would rather blaze trails than follow in someone's footsteps," had been sitting silently and smiling brightly beneath a special canopy reserved for a person of high rank as his four Black American bodyguards stood nearby.

Wearing an orange shirt and black pants, Jackson removed his trade-mark black fedora hat which was replaced by a crown of glittering gold.

Hundreds of proud people from the gold-mining, village occupied by the Agni Tribe , located near Abidjan, Ivory Coast , cheered loudly as the chief and his assistants draped him inside a colorful robe trimmed in gold and placed a six-foot scepter of gold in his right hand. A choral group of aged and revered women, wearing white robes, sand and chanted on the grounds to invoke the ancestors.

A tribal official holds scepter decorated with gold as he watches over table with a golden crown, robe and shoes for Jackson.
Jackson, " King of pop,rock and Soul" , stands solemn and silent as he is being crowned "King of sanwi" by Amon N'Djafok, traditional tribal chief of Krindjabo kingdom in the Ivory Coast region near Ghana.

The energetic entertainer who already wore the title of " King of pop,rock and Soul" for selling more albums than any other artist in the history of recording world-wide, stood in front of the throne that was below a sacred village tree. He was told that he was on the land of his ancestors as the "prodigal child of the Bible".

Filled with emotions, Jackson acknowledged his elevation to the royal rank as honorary "King of Sanwi" and responded with six words. Using the language of the French-speaking West African peoples, he exclaimed: "Merci beaucoup!" "King Sanwi" then used the English translation: "Thank you very much!" He then sat down.

When the ceremonies concluded, Jackson remained for a short time to pay respect to the village chief and the fans who turned out to honor him.

After the crowning ceremonies, the elderly women who are the guardians of the village sang, danced and gave their blessing. They asked for God's protection at a tree symbolizing the essence of power.
A proud tribe of people who were forced into exile from Ghana, a neighbor nation, in the 18th Century, they settled in the Ivory Coast and founded their own kingdom and have managed to keep their own monarchy.

http://www.the-michael-jackson-archives.com/africajet.html

Michael Jackson visits Africa 1992

[video=youtube;AoupR2HUQJo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AoupR2HUQJo[/video]

NABOB Awards (National Association of Black Owned Broadcasters)

Lifetime Achievement Award

NABOB is the first and largest trade organization representing the interests of African-American owners of radio and television stations across the country.
The association was organized in 1976 by a small group of African-American broadcasters who desired to establish a voice and a viable presence in the industry and to address specific concerns facing African-American broadcasters.
NABOB is a non-profit corporation and is governed by a volunteer Board of Directors elected by our members. Day-to-day operations of the association are carried out at our headquarters in Washington, D.C.

http://www.nabob.org/about.html

On March 5, 1992, he is offered the "Lifetime Achievement Award" by the National Association of Black Owned Broadcasters, at the organization’s eighth annual Communications Awards Dinner, at the Sheraton Washington Hotel in Washington D.C. The honor recompenses Jackson's 'contributions to pop music, culture, fashion and philantropy'. NABOB represents African-American radio and television station owners; a month before awarding the singer with the mentioned honor, the organization resolved a boycott against Sony Music Entertainment, citing discriminatory distribution and promotion of Jackson’s Epic album, "Dangerous". Michael Jackson, himself, would cite similar issues with regard to the company 10 years later.

It didn't take a genius to figure-out the drawing card.

At the National Association of Black Owned Broadcasters Eighth Annual Communications Awards Dinner it was Michael Jackson's show.

To prove it, some 900 guests turned out in black-tie affair wear to see - and possibly exchange a few words with-the man who was to receive the Lifetime Achievement Award from the trade association, which represents the interests of the nearly 200 Black owned radio and television stations across the country.

Jackson, dressed in black pants, black jacket and red shirt, had them all spellbound. They didn't care that there would be no singing or dancing by the man who NABOB Chairman Pierre Sutton described as having "revolutionized and dominated contemporary music, dance, video and fashion”. They just wanted to be in the place.

Squeezing into the packed reception entrance hall-exchanging how-to-do's with one another-in the nation's capital were a legion of celebrities in their own right. Rev, Jesse Jackson came with his youngest daughter Jacqueline, who is a self-described ultimate fan" of Michael Jackson. Entertainers Stevie Wonder, Al Jarreau, and Stacey Lattisaw, boxing heavyweights Muhammad Ali, and Leon Spinks (along with promoter Butch Lewis), as well as movie heavyweights Spike Lee, and Robert Townsend rubbed elbows with other NABOB honorees Motown President Jheril Busby, BET President Robert Johnson, Sen, Bill Bradley (D., NJ.) and Rep, Bill Richardson (D., N.M.).

In accepting the Lifetime Achievement Award, Jackson thanked Black Sony/Epic music executive Hank Caldwell, recognized the other honorees who were not present and NABOB for supporting his musical career. " This award is great," said Jackson, holding the plaque. "You (NABOB) were there from the beginning and I feel in my heart that you'll always be there."

And with Jackson as the drawing card, the association had the rare opportunity of mass media appeal.

http://books.google.com/books?id=4M...&resnum=1&ved=0CDAQ6AEwAA#v=onepage&q&f=false
http://www.thesilencedtruth.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=66&Itemid=60

Michael Jackson NABOB Awards 1992

[video=youtube;fDueEkwG4yY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDueEkwG4yY[/video]

Last edited:
Re: Michael receives awards

Entertainer Of The Decade

Point of Light Ambassador

In 1990, the Point of Light Foundation created by President Bush SR, was to encourage American citizens to lend their services to the community in "a call to action."

On May 1, 1992, the entertainer receives a new "Point of Light" award from Mr. George Bush Sr. at the White House in Washington D.C., for his perseverent efforts toward disadvantaged and depraved children. 20 other Americans are awarded the honor for their special contributions to volunteer work.

Ambassador Jackson, says the White House, has made America better by, among other acts, inviting disadvantaged young people and children with disabilities to his California ranch. His work with young people, the proclamation continued, ''reflects a commitment to children that finds its expression in direct and consequential service.''
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com...0687_1_michael-jackson-ambassador-white-house

The President lunches with the singer and gives him a seat of honor at the front of the White House East Room during the awards ceremony.

Michael, dressed in black of course, wore sunglasses, but with light colored lenses that you could see his eyes through. He briefly declares that "I wanted to come to lunch, because I believe each person can make a difference in the life of someone in need. That is what a Point Of Light is. I'm very, very happy to be here. I love you all. Thank you very much."

Last edited:

Some of the photos of him in the hotel in Washington[/url] are really lovely. He looks quite happy there I think, at least that smile looks genuine. :)

Last edited:

Billboard Music Awards:

1992 Billboard World Artist Award

Hot 100 Singles Male Artist

Hot R&B Singles Artist

Hot Dance Music Club Play Artist

Hot Dance Music Maxi-Single Sales Artist

December, 10

Annual ceremony created in 1989, the BMA honor entertainers in the music industry - based on Billboard's year-end music charts. Held since 1990, the ceremony is held in the month of December on the Fox Network.
The Billboard Music Award is an honor given by Billboard magazine, the preeminent publication covering the music business. The Billboard Music Awards show had been held annually in December until it went dormant in 2007, but it returned in May 2011. Janet Jackson has won the most awards.
Unlike other awards, such as the Grammy Award, which determine nominations as a result of the highest votes received, the Billboard Music Awards finalists are based on year-end chart performance according to Nielsen data for sales, downloads and airplay. Awards were given for the top album/artist/single in different genres.
From 1990–2006, the show had the same categories and category names every year.
The BMA is one of four awards ceremonies (American Music Awards, Grammy Awards and the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame Induction Ceremony) that honor entertainers in the music industry.

The artists with the most Billboard Music Awards are:
Janet Jackson 33 awards
Michael Jackson 31 awards
Whitney Houston 30 awards

Michael Jackson is the award show's biggest winning male and pop artist to date.

From 1992 onwards, the shows have been live:
1992–1994: The Universal Amphitheater in Los Angeles

http://www.tvacres.com/awards_music_billboard.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Billboard_Music_Award

At the 3rd Annual Billboard Music Awards, held at the Universal Amphitheater in Los Angeles, California, in 1992, Michael Jackson wins 3 awards, among which the Number 1 World Single for "Black Or White", and the Number 1 World Album for "Dangerous". The singer accepts his awards from his Neverland home. Phil Collins presents the Awards to MJ.
The singer's socially-conscious, "Black Or White" also wins the Video Of The Year Award at the Pro-Set Los Angeles Music Awards.

Michael Jackson Billboard Awards 1992

[video=youtube;RKH3-PlwBZg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKH3-PlwBZg[/video]

MPEG, 192 МB - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=X6NT7L2P

Last edited:

NAACP Image Awards

25th Anniversary Entertainer of the Year Award

Outstanding Music Video - "Black or White"

16 January

Michael attends the NAACP Image Awards with Katherine in Pasadena, California.

Michael Jackson is presented with the 'Outstanding Music Video Award' for the socially conscious song, Black Or White. He also receives the '25th Silver Anniversary Entertainer Of The Year Award' at the 25th "National Association for the Advancement of Colored People" event (NAACP Image Awards).

Michael Jackson, Entertainer of the Year, brought down the house just standing on stage. The crowd didn't let him get away - "I wasn't prepared to sing," he protested, till Patti Laell struck up his tune. And of course, he had to oblige. Patti Labelle sings "Will You Be There" with Michael joining for the last verse.

Michael's acceptance speech:

"First I’d like to say ‘Thank you’ to my mother. Thank you for giving me life — I really mean that.
There are two things which the NAACP stands for which are the most important things in my life: freedom and equality. In every person, there is a secret song in their heart. It says: ‘I am free!’, it sings: ‘I am One!’. This is the natural feeling of every child. To be free as the wind, to be one with every other child. All the troubles in the world are caused by forgetting this feeling.
And when I perform, my connection with people is to just remind me of that: to be free and to be One. In this spirit the NAACP has done its cherished work.
Thank you for having the faith to see that I share your work — for I deeply feel I do.
I accept this award on behalf of the world’s healing. When all our brothers and sisters will be as free and equal as we are today.
I love you so much and I am very honoured, and thank you for this award.

Thank you so much."

http://mjjtime.blogspot.com/search/label/1993?updated-max=2011-01-19T01:18:00-08:00&max-results=20

Michael Jackson NAACP Image Award 1993

[video=youtube;mhzal75FP8Y]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhzal75FP8Y[/video]

[video=youtube;GsqybfafHLI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GsqybfafHLI[/video]

Last edited:

American Music Awards:

Favorite Pop/Rock Album – “Dangerous”

Soul/R&B Single - "Remember the Time"

The Michael Jackson International Artist Award

Michael was collecting awards on January 25 at the American Music Awards, where he had five nominations. Dangerous was voted as the Favorite Pop/Rock Album, and "Remember the Time" was chosen as the Favorite Soul/R&B Single. Besides these awards, Michael received a special honor, becoming the first recipient of the American Music Award International Artist Award. The award was presented by Elizabeth Taylor, and a taped message from Eddie Murphy revealed the award will in the future be named "The Michael Jackson International Artist Award."
The American Music Awards opene with a performance by the King of Pop himself. Machine gun fire spray out and a dancer drops to his death as Michael Jackson is revealed standing behind him. Dressed in a dark pinstripe suit, spats, and fedora, Michael opened the show with "Dangerous".
Michael joined several dancers in a Smooth Criminal flavored performance of Dangerous featuring his usual fascinating choreography with plenty of crotch grabbing and carefully timed sound effects.

[video=youtube;rrOWyMN0oD0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrOWyMN0oD0&feature=related[/video]

In accepting an offer from the show's executive producer, Dick Clark, to perform on the show, Michael asked if he could open the show, to which Clark responded, "Michael, you can do whatever you want." Clark added, "I couldn't think of anyone more appropriate to kick off our 20th anniversary show. Not only is Michael one of the most exciting stage performers in the business, but one of the most honored as well."

Sourse: Michael Jackson : The King of Pop's DARKEST HOUR by LISA D. CAMPBELL

Michael won Favorite Soul/R&B Single for Remember The Time. He came from back stage to accept the award, having taken his hair down, and removing his tie. In accepting the award, he acknowledged the fans in the balcony:
“Thank you very much. I love you up there. I'd like to thank everyone at Sony Music, especially Mr. Morita, Mickey Schulhof, Tommy Mattola, Dave Glew, Bruce Swedian, Quincey jones, Sandy Gallin, Jim Morey, and of course, all my fans. I love you.”

Amidst the performances and award presentations, Elizabeth Taylor, recovered from a respiratory infection, returned to public life by presenting Michael's honorary award. She announced the recipient of the first ever International Artist Award narrating a video tribute to Michael featuring footage from his videos and live performances from both the Bad and Dangerous tours. She then introduced a taped message from another of Michael's friends and fans, Eddie Murphy:

“Hi, Michael. Knowing how uncomfortable you feel when someone says something nice to you right up in your face, I went 3,000 miles away to do this. Now, the inscription on your award says, 'In recognition of his record-breaking international concert tours, and his album sales, and his heartfelt efforts to make this world a better place, the American Music Awards presents its first International Artist Award to Michael Jackson January 25, 1993.' In addition the American Music Awards are proud to announce that when the award is given in the future, it will be known as 'The Michael Jackson International Artist Award.' So, congratulations Michael, I know you better be smiling from ear to ear. I know you better smile bigger than that, I want to see gums! Congratulations”.

Elizabeth Taylor then called Michael to the stage from his front row seat at the Shrine Auditorium. He had now changed into a black leather jacket and removed his sunglasses before going on stage. The crowd was on their feet and cheering as Michael began to speak. Michael used the stage to spread a message of love:

“I love you very much, Elizabeth Taylor. Teddy Riley, you are a genius. Thank you Eddie, thank you all my friends. Traveling the world has been a great education for me and if there is one insight I've had it is this, wherever you go, in every country, on every continent, people yearn and hunger for only one thing, to love and be loved. Love transcends international boundaries and it heals the wounds of hatred, racial prejudice, bigotry, and ignorance. It is the ultimate truth at the heart of all creation. I would also like to thank God, and my mother and father, Katherine and Joseph Jackson. Thank you once again, I love you all.”
Michael, who had now removed the black leather jacket came from the wings and was brief in his acceptance. "I really wasn't expecting to win. Thank you again Teddy Riley, the public, I love you very much. Thank you."

Having won in two of the five categories in which he was nominated and being named the International Artist of the Year, Michael was the night's big winner. Michael also received an honorary Merit award in 1984 and an Achievement award in 1989. He now has 14 of the awards in competitive categories.

http://mjjtime.blogspot.com/search/label/1993

[video=youtube;QiE1zNrR5zo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiE1zNrR5zo&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Grammy Awards

Living Legend Award

February, 24

Michael appearance at the 35th Annual Grammy Awards on February 24, where Janet Jackson presented the Grammy Legend Award to her big brother, Michael. After narrating a tribute to her brother, "How To Become A Legend", Janet brought Michael on stage from his front row seat at the Shrine Auditorium, "Now I'm very happy to present the Grammy Legend Award for 1993 to my big brother, Michael Jackson." Looking dashing in black jean s and boots, a white t-shirt and a white beaded jacket , Michael embraced Janet Instead of performing on the show, as had been previously announced, Michael chose instead to speak. In his acceptance speech, which lasted an incredible four minutes, Michael poked fun at himself and showed his sense of humor that many have n't had an opportunity to see. Approaching the microphone, standing next to Janet and putting his arm around her, Michael remarked, "I hope this finally puts to rest another rumor that has been in the press for too many years...me and Janet really are two different people!" He brought more laughs from the crowd when he began, "In the past month I've gone from 'Where is he?' to 'Here he is again!'". His comments prompted host Garry Shandling to ask, "When did he get so damn funny?" The rest of Michael's comments centered on his feeling that it was "nice to be thought of as a person and not as a personality,...:

...Because I don't read all the things written about me, I wasn't aware the world thought I was so weird and bizarre. But when you grow up as I did in front of 100 million people since the age of 5, you're automatically different. The last few weeks I have been cleansing myself and it has been a rebirth for myself, it's like a cleansing spirit. My childhood was completely taken away from me. There was no Christmas, no birthdays. It was not a normal childhood, no normal pleasures of childhood. Those were exchanged for hard work, struggle and pain, and eventual material and professional success. But as an awful price, I cannot recreate that part of my life. Nor would I change any part of my life. However, today when I create my music I feel like an instrument of nature. I wonder what delight nature feels when we open our hearts and express our God given talents. The sound of approval rolls across the universe and the whole world abounds in magic. Wonder fills our hearts for we have glimpsed for an instant the playfulness of life.

And that's why I love children and leant so much from being around them. I realize that many of the world's problems today, from inner city crime to large scale wars and terrorism and over crowded prisons are a result of the fact that children have had their childhoods stolen from them. The magic, the wonder, the mystery and the innocence of a child's heart are the seeds of creativity that will heal the world. I really believe that. What we need to learn from children isn't childish. Being with them connects us to the deeper wisdom of life which is ever present and asks only to be lived. They know the way to solutions that lie trying to be recognized in our own hearts.
Today I would like to thank all the children of the world including the sick and deprived, I am so sensitive to your pain. I also want to thank all those who have helped me to channel my talents here on Earth. From the beginning, my parents, all my brothers and sisters, especially Janet. I am so proud of her, it's incredible. I remember when we were little I used to ask her to be Ginger Rogers while I was Fred Astaire. The Motown family, my teacher, Berry Gordy, Diana Ross, I love you. Suzanne de Passe, the wonderful, great Quincy Jones, Teddy Riley, my new godson Michael Gibb, my new Sony family Akio Morita, Mickey Schulhof, Tommy Mottola, Dave Glew, Polly Anthony, thanks for making one of my most creative efforts, the album Dangerous such an incredible success. I love you all so much. Sandy Gallin, Jim Morey, all the fantastic fans around the world, I love you very much."

Besides his honor as the Grammy Legend, Michael had two Grammy nominations. He was nominated for Best Pop Male Vocal for "Black or White" and for Best R&B Male Vocal for "Jam".
The Pop Male Vocal award went to Eric Clapton for "Tear s in Heaven" and the R&B Male Vocal Grammy went to Al Jarreau for "Heaven and Earth".

Teddy Riley, who co-produced several tracks on Dangerous was nominated for Producer of the Year, but lost to Lindsey Buckingham and Vince Gill.
The Grammy for Best Engineered Recording went to Bruce Swedian for "Dangerous".

The new social butterfly and his date, Brooke *******, attended Sony Music's party at Jimmy's in Beverly Hills along with Bob Jones and his date . They later made a brief appearance at the Polygram Label Group's party on the A&M movie lot following the awards. Michael's appearance at the party was said to be the "buzz" of the evening.

Michael Jackson - Grammy Awards 1993

Last edited:

Soul Train Awards

Humanitarian of the Year Award

Best R&B Single "Remember The Time" Best R&B Album Dangerous

9 March

Michael had three nominations and received the Humanitarian of the Year award at the Seventh Annual Soul Train Awards that were handed out in March.

Despite having sprained his ankle the day before during dance rehearsals, he attended the awards presentation and he performed as scheduled.

His first nomination was for Best R&B/Soul Music Video for "Remember the Time". The award went to Boyz II Men for "End of the Road".

Michael's first appearance during the telecast came when he was named the Humanitarian of the Year. The award was presented by Michael's friend, Eddie Murphy:
“I address these remarks to a very good friend of mine, Michael Jackson. Now Michael, everyone knows you have broken every sales record known to man and that you have the number one and number two best selling albums of all time and the number one selling single of all time and he's the biggest selling artist ever, but tonight we're not here to talk about that, we're here to talk about your achievements as a humanitarian and your concern about the well-being of children and brothers and sisters everywhere and Mother Earth herself. "

As the cheers from the crowd threatened to drown Murphy out, he cut his remarks short and said, "Hey, just show the film, huh!"

A short film tribute to Michael, narrated by Eddie Murphy, outlined a few of Michael's countless efforts to help children and make the world a better place. Michael, who was on crutches, was helped to the stage from his front row seat by Bill Bray. He was dressed in black pants and a black jacket Michael Jackson: The King of Pop's DARKEST HOUR with belts across his chest, a red armband, and one shoe.

After blowing kisses to the wildly cheering crowd, he apologized for his injury, and Murphy insisted he tell how it happened,
"You can't just come out like that and not tell us what happened." Michael replied, "You really want to know? I was dancing and I went into a spin and I twisted my ankle very badly. But I wanted to come here to thank everyone." After poking fun at Murphy, "Eddie, I heard you have a new album out, that you're the one whose 'dangerous'",Michael continued :

"Ever since I was a child, I realized I had a lo of love to share from my soul The black tradition is a tradition of soul which is a gift of love and joy. Soul is the most precious thing you can share because you're sharing yourself and the world needs that gift now more than ever. The child with AIDS, in the ghetto, is waiting for you along with th starving people in Africa and everyone else who needs healing. Make the world more beautiful by sharing with me the wonderful feeling you get when yoursoul is lifted up to become pure love. I accept this award on behalf of all the children of the world who are my inspira tion and my hope... "

Michael's next award was for Best R&B Soul Single, Male for "Remember the Time". Michael was wheeled out from backstage in a wheelchair by Bill Bray, then he stood with the aid of a crutch to accept the award:
Thank you again, I love you all Thank you Berry Gordy, the Sony family, Akio Morita, Mickey Schulhof, Tommy Mottola, Dave Glew, and especially Hank Caldwell. Teddy Riley, all the program directors and DJ's, you play my records, Sand Gallin and Jim Morey and the fans.

For the presentation of the Heritage Award, Michael Jackson and Eddie Murphy traded places. This time Michael was the presenter and Eddie Murphy was the recipient Michael has rarely, and never in more than ten years, appeared as a presenter on any award show. He was introduced by host Patti Labelle, "Please welcome the King of Pop, Rock and Soul, Mr. Michael Jackson!"

Michael was wheeled out on stage in the wheelchair by Bill Bray, then stood with the aid of a crutch. As Michael began the tribute to his friend, the cheers from the crowd grew deafening and Michael had to remind them that "this is Eddie's moment":
"At the young age of 31, Eddie Murphy has carved out a truly spectacular career in almost any direction he choose to go in, including stand-up comedy, television, film-acting film-directing television producing and music included. It would be impossible to cover all of Eddie's achievements and how brilliantly he performed in each area, but let's take a look ".

After a short collection of clips from Murphy'smany films, Michael introduced his friend, "Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the recipient of the 1993 Soul Train Music Award's Heritage Award, Mr. Eddie Murphy."
Eddie Murphy then said to the crowd, "Isn't it nice seeing him getting out and giving people awards and stuff?" He also thanked Michael, "for hobblin' out here and giving me this award."

Later in the broadcast Michael changed in the gold Egyptian costume he wears in the video for "Re-Michael Jackson: The King of Pop's DARKEST HOUR 27 member the Time" and he performed the song sitting in an elaborate gold chair placed in the center of the stage, with his dancers behind him. Seated, he gyrated from the waist up and belted out the song like nobody's business, even bringing himself up to stand, balancing himself on one foot a couple of times during the performance.

The final award of the evening was fo Best R&B/Soul Album, Male, and it went to Michael Jackson for Dangerous. He was again wheeled out in the wheel-chair from backstage by Bill Bray, he then stood on crutches. In accepting the award, Michael acknowledged one of the award presenters, Run DMC:
"Run DMC, 1 think you're brilliant. I'd like to thank Don Cornelius, I love you Don, thank you. Thank you Berry Gordy, Dave Glew, and especially Hank Caldwell, Bob Jones, and last, the public, the fans. I love you all."

Michael Jackson Soul Train Music Awards1993

[video=youtube;n6kop51P668]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n6kop51P668[/video]

[video=youtube;2Z91nEuFWQ4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Z91nEuFWQ4[/video]

Michael Jackson Perfomance Live Remember the time

[video=youtube;uXOETjgWuqc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uXOETjgWuqc[/video]

Last edited:

World Music Awards

World's Best Selling Pop Artist
Best Selling American Artist
World's Best Selling Artist Of The Era

12 May

Megastar Michael Jackson recently jetted to Monte Carlo, Monaco, to pick up three top World Music Awards during a ceremony full of royal presenters.
Prince Albert and his sister, Princess Stephanie, honored Jackson as best artist of his country, of the year and of his era.
Princess Caroline awarded Luciano Pavarotti with an award for best classical artist. Tina Turner was given the Lifetime Achievement Award and Eric Clapton was chosen as best British artist and best rock artist.
Hit soul group Boyz II men also was awarded.
Jet, May 31st, 1993

Airing on June 1, 1993 were the World Music Awards that were actually held on May 12 at the Sporting Club in Monte Carlo. The World Music Awards were established by Prince Albert of Monaco to recognize the top selling artists in major international markets and genres.This year the awards were being telecast in the U.S. for the first time. Helping to increase their stature and credibility was the presence of the King of Pop who would be attending, not to sing and dance, but to pick up three of their biggest honors. He received his first award of the evening from the program's host, Michael Douglas:
“ It wasn't difficult to determine the Best Selling American Artist this year. His records have been at the top of the charts for over 24 years. He sold more records than any other individual in recording history. His televised interview was one of the most watched shows of all time and you can hear the screams anytime he even thinks of appearing on stage anywhere. In this princely principality, it may be considered inappropriate to introduce a king but indulge me this once as I introduce this year's Best Selling American Artist, the King of Pop, Michael Jackson.”

The crowd rose to its feet as Michael ascended the stairs to the stage. He was seated in the front row of the Sporting Club with a little girl, and a young boy who was dressed as Michael in a black jacket and a black fedora. Michael was dressed in black pants, a wide metallic belt, black and silver boots, and a black jacke t with a red armband over a white t-shirt. He also wore a black fedora and large mirrored sunglasses.

Michael said: “Thanks to all my fans and friends in America for your continued support of my music. Thanks to Mickey Schulhof, Tommy Mottola, Dave Glew, and my entire Sony family, you made it happen. Thanks to Sandy Gallin and Jim Morey. I love you all Thank you very much. “

For Michael's second honor, Michael Douglas introduced a montage of video clips and concert footage of Michael Jackson. Sir John Morgan, president of the International Federation of the Phonographic Industry, next introduced Princess Stephanie of Monaco. She in turn introduced Michael:
“The name of this year's Best Selling Pop Artist I'm sure will come as no surprise to anyone. He has been ruling the charts for some time now with a musical style that blends Pop, Rock, R&B, Gospel, Rap and Motown. It is a combination that has captivated the world and garnered him with this year's World Music Award as Best Selling Pop Artist and his name is Michael Jackson. “

In accepting his second award of the evening, Michael took time to recognize another Motown group who had performed on the program : “Thank you, Michael Douglas, thank you Sir John Morgan, and Princess Stephanie. Thank you so much. Boyz II Men, I think you're brilliant. Thanks to my fans around the world for making my album, Dangerous the biggest selling album of '92. You continue to make my dreams a reality. Thanks to my Sony International family which made it happen. I love you madly. Thank you. “

Prince Albert of Monaco presented the final award of the evening for World's Best Selling Artist of the Era :

”...Congratulations to all the artists whose work has been recognized here tonight. Only one recording artist is receiving three World Music Awards this year. As you have recently seen the accolades are justified. He not only set standards for all artists in sales and use of recording and video media but he demonstrates how the power of celebrity can be used to positive effect in helping to ease the problems of our world. It is with great pleasure that I present him with this award which names him World's Best Selling Artist of the Era. Once again, ladies and gentlemen, the King of Pop, Mr. Michael Jackson!”

Michael walked out from backstage carrying his two awards he had won earlier then collected his third honor from Prince Albert. In the middle of this acceptance remarks, he asked Prince Albert to hold one of his trophies:

«Thank you, your Serene Highness. I am honored to accept this World Music Award. It means a lot to me, for I sincerely believe that thorough music... could you hold this for me? Would you mind ? Sorry, it's kind of heavy.”

Then he continued: “I believe that through music we can help heal the world. It's through such charities as the Princess Grace Foundation of Monaco that this will be accomplished. Again, thanks to my fans around the world, I love you, and you wonderful people of Monaco for these honors. Merci, merci, еncore!"

The crowd was cheering wildly, calling "Michael!, Michael!, Michael!", and a banner was held up reading, "M.J. 4 Ever".

Immediately following the World Music Awards presentation, Michael was pushed to the floor by an over zealous fan. The Italian fan was trying to get close to his idol and give him a hug. Michael said later, "He just got over excited". This incident was over as quickly as it happened. Unfortunately, the world would later hear more than they ever expected, or wanted, from the young boy who attended the award show with Michael.

An ad in the June 5, 1993 issue of Billboard magazine congratulated the winners at the World Music Awards. In the center of the page was the biggest winner, a photo of Michael holding his three heavy
awards.

Michael Jackson World Music Awards 1993, Monte-Carlo

[video=youtube;UuZPYMNnOk0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UuZPYMNnOk0[/video]

Last edited:

Guinness Book of World Records:

Lifetime Achievement Award

gwr-logo.jpg

May, 19

Michael picked up an honor on May 19, from the Guiness World of Records Museum, who presented him with the first ever Lifetime Achievement Award.

The award was in recognition of his many world records : the best selling album in history (Thriller), winning the most Grammys in a single year (Eight in 1984), the biggest concert (500,000 people in four shows at London's Wembley Stadium), the biggest contract in the history of show business, (Signed with Sony in 1991), and performing before the largest ever television audience (133.4 million during his halftime performance at the 1993 Super Bowl).

The master of ceremonies for the event was Casey Kasem and the founding editor of the Guiness Book of World Records, Norris McWhirter, flew to Los Angeles from London especially to present the honor.

Michael, dressed in black, with large mirrored sunglassesand and fedora, accepted the honor and spoke to the crowd of fans that had brought Hollywood Blvd. to a standstill, "I love you all and thank you very much for coming."

Lori Byler, president of the Michael Jackson Observer Fan Club, then presented Michael with a second award. The plague was in recognition of his work with children and its inscription read:

“In deepest appreciation for all you nave don for the children of the world, Because of your great love and sensitivity towards all children, they now have the chance to live a happy and normal life. Without other great humanitarians, like yourself, the lives and future of our children the world over is hopeless.
All of us wish to join hands with you, Michael, to help Heal the World and to preserve the future for all the children of the world. We, the members of the Michael Jackson Observer Fan Club wish to offer you our support, love, loyalty and appreciation for everything you have done for our children, and for all of us.
With our deepest respect and love,

The Michael Jackson Observer Fan Club
of the United States and around the world. “

Following the award presentations, Michael went inside the museum to unveil an updated lifesize likeness of himself being added to the museum's display. The figure of himself stands on top of a giant 45 rpm record in recognition of his unprecedented world records in entertainment. Also part of the display are Michael's albums, memorabilia, and video monitors playing highlights from his entire career. The wax figure later need repairs when it was damaged in the earthquake that rocked California in January.

LISA D. CAMPBELL "The King of Pop's DARKEST HOUR"

Michael Jackson Guinness Certificate –

“Michael Jackson ‘King Of Pop’ is presented on May 1993 with a lifetime achievement award for his unprecedented world records in the sphere of popular music including ‘Thriller’ the number one best selling album in the world; most successful concerts series; most GRAMMY awards won in a year; and largest contract.”

The certificate is signed by Peter Matthews and Norris McWhirter.

[video=youtube;Nl--xzi_Mto]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nl--xzi_Mto&feature=player_embedded[/video]]

Last edited:

excuse me why dont You Continue such a perfect topic like this?

American Television Awards:

Best Mini Series - nominated

Best News, Information or Documentary - nominated

There were two Jackson nominations for the first American Television Awards; The Jacksons: An American Dream was nominated for Best Mini Series, but didn't win. Michael Jackson Talks To ... Oprah was nominated for Best News, Information or Documentary, but it didn't win either.

Michael did not attend the award presentation.

Jack The Rapper Award:

The Our Children, Our Hope of Tomorrow Award Outstanding Music Video "Black Or White" - Awarded

Jacktherapperbw.gif

Jack The Rapper, known as one of the fathers of Black radio, started his career in the late 30’s, creating a unique on-air announcing style, which incorporated rhymes in his daily chatter. By 1949, Gibson was chosen to lead Atlanta’s first national black radio station, WERD as Program Director. Gibson, also, established the National Association of Radio Announcers (NARA) and founded the first Black music trade magazine called Jack the Rapper Weekly. Additionally, Gibson was the first National Director of Promotions and Public Relations for Motown Records. Within modern day HipHop, Gibson continued discovering new talent allowing DJs and A&R reps access to new talent at his music convention “Jack the Rapper.” Started in the early 90’s out of Atlanta, the Jack The Rapper Convention was considered the first music convention where aspiring HipHop artists could showcase their talent and possibly earn a record deal. The Jack The Rapper Convention earned national notoriety, thus, helping to stamp Atlanta as the new hot bed for the music scene.
http://www.jeandfe.org/the-atlanta-hiphop-film-festival-honors-jack-the-rapper-gibson.html
Reed more - http://www.daveyd.com/Jacktherapperbw.gif

Berry Gordy and Michael Jackson were honored at the annual Jack the Rapper awards, named for the pioneering black disc jockey.

Jack the Rapper Awards, handed out in August in Atlanta, honored Motown founder Berry Gordy.
Gordy, the founder of Motown Records, received the ''Original 13 Award'' for his legendary work in the music industry. The ''13'' were a group of black DJs, including Jack ''The Rapper'' Gibson, instrumental in pushing early rock 'n' roll and soul.
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/1993-08-17/news/9308170487_1_gordy-jack-the-rapper-jackson

The Our Children, Our Hope of Tomorrow Award, which was named after Michael Jackson, was awarded to, well, Michael Jackson.

In a videotaped message Michael said, "I am honored and humbled."

I couldn't find this video, unfortunately, couldn't yet.

Sony Music Entertainment Singapore:

Special orchid "Michael Jackson"

While in Singapore, Michael was honored with a special orchid bearing his name. The orchid accolade is usually awarded only to visiting royalty and dignitaries.
It was presented to Michael by Sony Music Entertainment Singapore managing director Terence Phung, marketing manager Ian Ng and international A&R manager Joseph Loo.

I haven't found this orchid, and it would be desirable to see it very much.

Sony Music Singapore:

Platinum Record Award

Platinum Record Award presented to Mickael Jackson for six-time platinum sales for the album Dangerous presented August, 29 1993 by Sony Music Singapore.

Malaysian Platinum Record Award

August 30

Malaysian platinum record award presented to Michael Jackson, August 30, 1993, in recognition of sales exceeding 180,000 units of the album Dangerous.

Epic Thailand Award

August

Pair record award presented to Michael Jackson by Epic (Thailand) for double platinum sales of dangerous and gold sales of Bad, both presented August 1993

MTV Music Video Awards:

Best Choreography - Michael Jackson Jam - nominated

September, 2

New York City, NY

Michael obviously could not attend the MTV Music Video Awards held on September 2, but he was in the thoughts of many the artists who did attend.
There was said to be a sense of sadness in the air for one of their own that night. Attendees Cindy Crawford, Sinead O'Connor, Sharon Stone and many others all pledged their support for Michael to reporters. The only nomination any of Michael's videos received was for Barry Lather's work on the choreography for "Jam". The Best Choreography award went to Envogue's video for "Free Your Mind".

Janet performed live on the award telecast. It was reported that she then planned to join Michael on his tour in a show of support for her brother. Learning later that the rest of her family would be joining Michael.

Rock and Roll Hall:

Induction - nominated

In September, the nominees for induction into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame were announced. The nominees included the Jackson Five.
Later when the actual inductees were chosen, the Jackson Five were not among them. One of the requirements for consideration is that it must be at least twenty five years since the artists' first recording. As such, Michael Jackson, who made his first solo recording in 1971, will be eligible for consideration as a solo artist in 1996.

Sony Music Mexico:

Double platinum award - for sales of Dangerous

Sony Music Mexico executives Aloysio Reis and Raul Vasquez presented Michael with a double platinum award for sales of Dangerous in excess of 500,000 copies
in Mexico. Despite his continued legal problems, sales of Dangerous increased five hundred percent during his stay there and fans flocked to his concerts. In five
shows, the Dangerous tour played to over 500,000 fans in Mexico.

American Friends of Hebrew University:

Scopus Award

In July, 1993, Michael Jackson was announced as the recipient of the 1994 Scopus Award to be presented at the Beverly Hilton Hotel on January 29, 1994.
The award, from the American Friends of Hebrew University, was in recognition of his international humanitarian efforts.

The Scopus Award

The Scopus Award is the highest honour that can be bestowed upon an individual by a Friends Association. It truly represents and reflects the tradition of excellence that embody the Hebrew University of Jerusalem.
The Award is presented to an individual or association who have excelled in their respective fields and whose humanitarian endeavors and outstanding commitment contributed to the betterment of the Hebrew University, the State of Israel, the Jewish people and Humanity.
http://www.nvhu.nl/Engels/The Scopus Award.aspx

While his career was not directly affected, the scandal attached to Michael Jackson did take a toll in different ways. It was later announced that Michael Jackson would not be receiving the Scopus Award from the Friends of Hebrew University.
While the media liked to print that Michael had been dumped, Michael's publicist announced that he had asked to be withdrawn from consideration. A phone call to the West Coast Friends of Hebrew University confirmed the publicist's statement.

The official statement from the university stated:

"Prior to the leak in a show business trade publication of Daily Variety that the Hebrew University will seek a replacement for Michael Jackson, the latter had earlier requested the Western Friends of Hebrew University to withdraw his name as recipient of their Scopus Laureate Award on January 29 in Los Angeles."

His spokesman also had conveyed at that time the artist's regrets and apologies to the organization for any inconvenience and thanked everyone for understanding and the support extended on his behalf.

I use the book by LISA D. CAMPBELL

NAACP Image Awards

January, 24

The programme for the NAACP Image Awards contains a two-page ad consisting of a picture of Michael Jackson and the words, “Michael, I Love You.-Elisabeth.”

Michael Jackson makes surprise appearance at NAACP Image Awards

In his first major U.S. public appearance of the year, superstar Michael Jackson told a black-tie crowd at the 26th Annual NAACP Image Awards in Pasadena, CA, that he is not guilty of any allegations leveled against him and that he is strengthened by a belief in God and the support of fans.

Jackson was on hand to present a special Image Award to Debbie Allen for her choreography work on last year's Academy Award telecast.

He told the crowd: "For decades, the NAACP has stood at the forefront of the struggle for equal justice under the law for all people in our land. They have fought in the lunch rooms of the South, in the hallowed halls of the Supreme Court and the board rooms of America for justice, equality and the very dignity of all mankind. Members of the NAACP have been jailed and even killed in noble pursuit of those ideals upon which our country was founded. None of these goals is more meaningful to me at this time in my life than the notion that everyone is presumed to be innocent and totally innocent until they are charged with a crime and then convicted by a jury of their peers. I never, I never really took the time to understand the importance of that ideal until now, until I became the victim of false allegations and the willingness of others to believe and exploit the worst before they have a chance to hear the truth."

To the enthusiastic applause of the sellout crowd, Jackson added: "Not only am I presumed innocent, I am innocent, And I know the truth will be my salvation."

He thanked the organization for its support and commitment to fairness and justice. "You have been there to support me when others weren't around and I thank you for that. I have been strengthened in my fight to prove my innocence by my faith in God and by my knowledge that I am not fighting this battle alone. Together, we will see this thing through and I'm very proud to be here."

Jackson's surprise appearance overshadowed the controversy of the evening which was the nomination of rapper Tupac Shakur as best actor for his work in Poetic Justice. Some groups felt his Controversial music and current legal troubles should have precluded him from being nominated. It turned out to be a moot point anyway as Denzel Washington ended up with the award for his role in Malcolm X.

While not necessarily defending Jackson or Shakur, Jasmine Guy told reporters that the two "are innocent until proven guilty."

Other winners included Whitney Houston, Ms. Guy, Angela Bassett, Al Freeman Jr., Jaleel White, Martin Lawrence, Danny Glover, Halle Berry, Arsenio Hall, Luther Vandross, Levar Burton, Patti LaBelle and En Vogue. The film Malcolm X was named best picture.
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1355/is_n12_v85/ai_14777970/

[video=youtube;hNLSOv_vqa8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNLSOv_vqa8&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:

Michael Jackson&The Jacksons Family Honors

Febriary, 19

Michael and the whole Jackson family (except LaToya) reunited for The TV Special "Jackson Family Honors" benefit at the MGM Grand Hotel in Las Vegas, Nevada. His date for the evening was Lisa Marie Presley.

The Jackson family Honors take place in Las Vegas at the MGM Grand Hotel. Acts appearing with the Jacksons are Celine Dion, Smokey Robinson and Dionne Warwick but the artist the crowd most wanted to see - Michael – did not perform, causing sighs of disappointment from his fans. Liz Smith, columnist with the New York Newsday, writes: ‘All Michael has to do regain his place in America’s heart, is perform. He was not booed because of the accusations against him; only because he wouldn't sing!’
He is neither loved nor hated for his inner self – the public mostly couldn't care less. As long as Michael entertains, he’s safe. In Las Vegas, Michael received, once again, the message that’s been ingrained in him since early childhood – only your talent matters, nothing else.’
Michael attends the Jackson Family Honors and presents awards to actress/friend Elizabeth Taylor and Motown founder Berry Gordy.

When Michael took the stage to present two lifetime achievement awards to the night's honorees, Berry Gordy, founder of the Motown record label, and Elizabeth Taylor, he drew a nearly 5-minute standing ovation from a crowd of 12,000 fans. He has this to say on introducing his good friend:

"Today we honor Elizabeth Taylor for who she is, as much as what she does. For me, Elizabeth Taylor is the ultimate humanitarian, because she is the embodiment of love, compassion, faith, and integrity and she has been that ideal for hundreds and millions of fans over the five decades of her illustrious career.

Elizabeth began her career when she was nine years old and since then, has starred in some of the greatest of all American films. She has been, and she continues to be, one of the most celebrated women of the twentieth century. I know, from having the honor of being a friend of Elizabeth Taylor's, that she's in no need of another trophy or plaque to recognize her humanitarian work on behalf of the fight against AIDS.

And I also know Elizabeth is here tonight not for any ego gratification, but because this gives her another chance to get the all important message out to the public. The message of AIDS awareness and the need for compassion and the efforts to find a cure. To the formation of AMFAR in 1986 and her own Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation, no one has done more to fight this dreaded disease.

But in knowing Elizabeth, I know her reward comes from the work itself, from the small battles won in the all-out war, from the gains she's been responsible for by eliminating the problem for the world to see and from the unspoken things of the victims who's lives she has enhanced during their times on earth. In the midst of my recent trials and tribulations, Elizabeth stood by my side with unwavering strength and support. Elizabeth stands for truth. She's immune to criticism and unfearful to any challenge and places the highest truth in the wisdom of her own heart and the direct knowledge of her own intuition. She is not swayed by public opinion, because she knows in the end truth always triumphs.

Elizabeth, I love you and we honor you not only for what you stand for, but also for the magnificence of who you are. The world is a better place because of your existence. Because Elizabeth is so unselfish in her devotions to humanity, it is doubly fitting that she be the recipient of the Jackson Family Honors award."

Michael also joined his family in the finale, If You Only Believe.
http://mjjtime.blogspot.com/search/label/1994

Michael Jackson&The Jacksons Family Honors 1994

[video=youtube;e1TBrIcFDL0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1TBrIcFDL0&feature=player_embedded[/video]

Febriary 22
"The Jackson Family Honors" is televised on NBC. The earnings of the show are given to their own newly formed charity, "Family Caring for Families".

March
Teen Beat publishes an issue devoted entirely to Michael, ‘Michael Jackson And His Famous Family.’

May 1
USA Today reports as follows: ‘A California judge ordered Jackson Communications Incorporated to pay $1.6 million to Smith-Hemion Productions, which claims it was hurt by the ill-fated Jackson Family Honors in 1994. The company claims it was never paid for work done on the TV special and that it lost money because Michael Jackson did not perform solo. The Judge halted all proceedings in the case whie the parties await the results of an identical federal case.’

Febriary 25, 1997
A Superior Court Judge dismisses most of a lawsuit that held Michael Jackson responsible for production loses from the failed 1994 Jackson Family Honours show. Judge Sherman Smith Jr. threw out two of three claims brought against Jackson by Smith-Hemion Productions. The judge found that Jackson did not commit a breach of contract of break implied contractual indemnity. “It is undisputed that Mr. Jackson made a written promise to appear on the show, and that gave the big greenlight to go ahead with production,” Smith-Hemion attorney William Briggs said. “His failure to appear caused all the hurt and damages.” The lawsuit seeks to have Jackson pay most or all of a $1.7 million judgment brought against Jackson Communications Inc. The company claimed it had no assets and was unable to pay. Smith-Hemion also has sued in federal court to have the judgment enforced.

Michael Jackson: A Visual Documentary the Official Tribute Edition
By Adrian Grant

:)

Children's Choice Awards

Caring For Kids Award

April 12

The Kids Award is a special category, that acknowledges a celebrity, who has devoted time to work with young people, to enhance their lives.

One hundred thousand children between the ages of eight and eighteen, gave Michael their vote of confidence. The Children’s Choice Awards are sponsored by Body Sculpt, a non-profit drug prevention programe for youth (a charity teaching physical education to youngsters to keep them from drugs). An estimated 75,000 people aged between 8 and 18 years old (over 75 percent) voting for him. 'Body Sculpt' votes Jackson as their favorite role model. The 'Caring For Kids' award honors celebrities devoting time to the youth.

Michael attends the 2nd Annual Children’s Choice Awards held at City Center in New York to accept a “Caring For Kids’ award.

Hundreds of children chanted “Michael! Michael!’ as Jackson, flanked by 30 youngsters, received the award.

On receiving award a vulnerable-looking Michael Jackson graciously says: “I’m flattered and most appreciative that 75 thousand children from New Jersey, New York and Connecticut - I love you too.. - (inaudible) with the Choice Award, and my sincere thanks to ‘Children’s Choice’ and ‘Body Sculpt’, I love you.”

Michael Jackson: A Visual Documentary the Official Tribute Edition By Adrian Grant
Jet, May 16, 1994

Michael Jackson Children's Kids Choice Awards 1994

[video=youtube;0GW5hj-JpGg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GW5hj-JpGg[/video]

Last edited:

MTV Movie Awards:

Best Song from a Movie - Michael Jackson — "Will You Be There" (from Free Willy)

June 4, 1994

The third annual MTV Movie Awards hosted by rapper and actor Will Smith.

Third annual MTV Movie Awards broadcast in which feature film awards are presented in offbeat categories as a result of MTV viewer voting.
Nothing will interest you more than knowing that the illustrious honor of Best Song From A Movie went to Michael Jackson for "Will You Be There," as featured in Free Willy . Now THAT'S poetic justice.
http://www.mtv.com/ontv/movieawards/1994/

Free Willy is a 1993 American family film directed by Simon Wincer, and released by Warner Bros. under its Family Entertainment label. The film stars Jason James Richter as a young boy who befriends a killer whale, named "Willy."
Followed by two sequels, a third non-consecutive sequel, Free Willy: Escape from Pirate's Cove (released in 2010), and a short-lived animated television series, Free Willy was a financial success, eventually making a star out of its protagonist Keiko. The film's famous climax has been spoofed several times in popular culture.
Michael Jackson produced and performed "Will You Be There", the theme for the film, which can be heard during the film's credits. The song won the MTV Movie Award for "Best Song in a Movie" in 1994. It was also included in the album All Time Greatest Movie Songs, released by Sony in 1999. Jackson also performed songs for the film's first sequel.

Directed by Simon Wincer
Produced by Lauren Shuler Donner, Jennie Lew Tugend, Richard Donner (executive producer), Arnon Milchan
Written by Keith A. Walker, Corey Blechman Charles L Frankenstein
Music by Basil Poledouris
Theme: Michael Jackson
Release date(s) July 16, 1993

The film begins with a pod of orcas swimming near the coastline of the Pacific Northwest. The pod is tracked down by a large group of whalers, and a single orca (Keiko the Orca) gets caught in their net. Despite their best efforts to save him, his family leaves him behind, and he is taken away to a local amusement park.

Sometime later in Washington, Jesse (Jason James Richter), a young 12-year-old boy who has been on the streets since he was abandoned by his mother six years before, gets caught by the police for stealing food and vandalizing a theme park, along with a group member of three other abandoned children. However, his social worker Dwight helps him avoid legal consequences by placing him in a foster home and provided he cleans up the mess at the park. While there, Jesse befriends Willy, the orca that was caught earlier and has a collapsed dorsal fin. He is amazed by Willy who obeys his commands, something the trainer, Rae Lindley (Lori Petty), had failed to do. Over time, Jesse and Willy become the best of friends, and Jesse earns a long-term job at the marina while learning to live with his new and supportive foster parents, Glen (Michael Madsen) and Annie Greenwood (Jayne Atkinson).

The owner of the amusement park, Dial (Michael Ironside) sees the talent Jesse and Willy have together, and makes large plans to host "The Willy Show" in hopes of boosting sales and making money for himself. On the day of the first performance, everyone is set to begin, but Willy comes down with stage fright due to the children banging constantly on his underwater observation area. Willy scares them off by smashing against the tank, unintentionally damaging it. Jesse is devastated, and plans to run away feeling everyone has let him down. Later, while at the tank, Jesse notices Willy's family calling to him and Dial's assistant Wade (Richard Riehle) and other men sneaking into the underwater observation area and damage the tank enough that the water will gradually leak out in an effort to kill Willy. It is surmised that Dial is interested in collecting the insurance money, since he has a $1,000,000 life insurance plan on Willy.

Thus, Jesse, Haida native Randolph Johnson (August Schellenberg) and Rae begin plans to release the orca. They use equipment at the park to load Willy onto a trailer, and Jesse and Randolph "borrow" Glen's truck to tow Willy to the ocean. They try to stick to back roads to keep from being spotted with a gigantic orca, and eventually get stuck. Wade meanwhile notifies Dial that the orca is missing, and begin a search to find Willy.

Jesse must admit that he needs help, and calls his foster parents using a CB-Radio located in the truck they took. Annie and Glen show up and are able to help free the truck, and continue on to the marina they are headed to, in order to release Willy. Dial knows where they are likely headed, and when they show up, he, Wade and his henchmen are blocking the gate into the marina. Glen charges at them full speed in the truck, forcing the henchmen to move right before the truck plows through the gate to the marina. Glen quickly turns the truck around and backs Willy into the water, flooding his truck in the process.

Willy is finally released into the water, but Dial and his goons attempt to stop them. During the struggle, Jesse is able to get Willy to swim away, but panics when he sees that Dial has the whaling company to back him up when their boats show up in the water. They release nets and Jesse has one last chance to get Willy away before he becomes trapped. He runs towards a wall of rocks, calling for Willy to follow him, which steers him away from the boats. Jesse goes to the edge of the rocks where Willy swims up to him and tells Willy that if he makes the jump (it will be the highest jump Willy has ever attempted), he'll be free. Jesse then starts to cry as he tells Willy goodbye, but pulls himself together and goes back to the top of the rocks. He says a prayer that Randolph taught him from a story from his tribe and throws his arm in the air, giving Willy the signal to jump. To the amazement of everyone, Willy makes the jump with no problem and is finally free to return to his family and escapes the boats. Everyone cheers, Willy leaps out of the water in celebration, and Jesse happily jumps up and down, but stops when he realizes that he'll probably never see Willy again. He goes back to Glen and Annie who hug him as they look out into the sea.

The movie ends with Willy who has found his family and the entire pod swims and jumps through the ocean.

The aquatic star of this film was an orca named Keiko. The huge national and international success of this film inspired a letter writing campaign to get Keiko released from his captivity as an attraction in the amusement park Reino Aventura in Mexico City; this movement was called "Free Keiko". Keiko was famously moved to a bigger pool in Oregon by flying in a specially modified United States Air Force C-17 freight aircraft. In Oregon it was discovered that the combination of the chlorination and the excessively warm temperature of the water was causing skin lesions. Then Keiko was moved to Iceland to learn to be wild and after that to Norway where there were other orcas. Keiko eventually died of pneumonia in a Norwegian bay on December 12, 2003.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Willy

Micheal Jackson - Free Willy (will you be there) video from movie

[video=youtube;_dE4YrrAAGk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_dE4YrrAAGk[/video]

"Will You Be There"

(Theme from "Free Willy")
Written and Produced by Michael Jackson
Co-Produced by Bruce Swedien
Performed by Michael Jackson
Courtesy of Epic Records

The soundtrack for the film, the first release on Michael's MJJ Records label, featured "Will You Be There" as the movie's theme song. Also included on the soundtrack was "Right Here" by SW (Sisters With Voices), that included a sampling of Michael's "Human Nature". T3, made up of Taj, Taryll, and Tito Jackson Jr., contributed "Didn't Mean To Hurt You" to Uncle Mike's first release on his record label. The Free Willy soundtrack album peaked at number forty seven on Billboard's pop album chart, and at number forty nine on the R&B album chart.

The lyrics to "Will You Be There", Michael's contribution to the soundtrack, would become more poignant in just a few weeks:

In our darkest hour
In my deepest despair
Will you still care?
Will you be there?

The video for Michael's latest single combines footage of whales swimming and frolicking freely in the ocean with Michael's performance of the song in concert Smooth and graceful choreography showcase his performance, complete with an angel descending and wrapping her wings around him.
Sourсe: Michael Jackson : The King of Pop's DARKEST HOUR by LISA D. CAMPBELL

[URL=http://img265.imagevenue.com/img.php?image=942358118_b25c5bbcbf3bt_122_357lo.jp g]
[/URL]

Last edited:

MTV Video Music Awards :

Favorite Pop/Rock Male Artist - nomination

Favorite Soul/R&B Male Artist - nomination

The 1994 MTV Video Music Awards aired live on September 8, 1994, honoring the best music videos from June 16, 1993, to June 15, 1994.
The show was hosted by Roseanne Barr at Radio City Music Hall in New York City, and this would be the last time there was a female host for the VMAs until Chelsea Handler hosted in 2010. Kurt Cobain, frontman of grunge band Nirvana, was honored this night after his death on April 5.

Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley opened the show by Michael giving a speech.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_MTV_Video_Music_Awards

Michael Jackson and Lisa Marie Presley attended what was their first public engagement together.

'I’m very happy to be here,’ said Michael, after welcoming everyone to the show. ‘And just think, nobody thought this would last!’ Referring, of course, to his marriage.
Their 120 second appearance stole everyone else the show when Michael, surprising everyone, swept Lisa Marie into his arms, and tenderly kissed her in public for the very first time. The long, sensual kiss drew gasps and whistles from the audience.

The next day, it's THE event in the media all over the world. Some refered to it as "The Kiss of the Century", others compared the kiss to the famous kissing-scene in "Gone With The Wind" between Scarlett O'Hara and Rett Buttler.

http://mjjtime.blogspot.com/search/...0-08:00&max-results=20&start=14&by-date=false

Michael Jackson and Lisa Presley Kiss - MTV VMA 1994

[video=youtube;_ibUlqUi7ck]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_ibUlqUi7ck[/video]

It is possible to look on site МТV: http://www.mtv.com/videos/news/4049...chael-jacksons-infamous-kiss.jhtml#id=1614830

1992 -1995

Smash Hits Awards

Smash Hits was a pop music magazine, aimed at teenagers and young adults and originally published in the United Kingdom by EMAP. It ran from 1978 to 2006 and was issued fortnightly for most of that time. The name survives as a brand for a related spin-off digital television channel, digital radio station, and website which have survived the demise of the printed magazine.

Smash Hits was founded in 1978 by Nick Logan, who had previously edited the New Musical Express during one of its most creative periods and went on to create '80s fashion bible The Face.

After releasing a test issue in September 1978, with Plastic Bertrand on the front and a centre spread of Sham 69, the first issue was published in November 1978 and featured Blondie on the cover. The publication was initially monthly but switched to fortnightly after only three issues, which it remained until its demise. The backbone of the magazine in its early years, and one of its major early selling points, was the publication of Top 20 song lyrics.
The magazine was at its peak in the 1980s, launching the career of many journalists including Heat's editor Mark Frith. ...
In the 1990s the magazine's circulation slumped and it was overtaken by the BBC's spin off magazine Top Of The Pops. Emap's other biweekly teen magazine of the period Big! (which featured more celebrities and stars of TV programmes like Home And Away and Beverly Hills, 90210) was closed and this celeb focus was shifted over to Smash Hits, which became less focused on Teenpop and more of an Entertainment magazine. The magazine also shifted size a number of times in subsequent relaunches including one format that was as big as an album with songwords to be clipped out on the card cover. Television presenter and journalist Kate Thornton was editor for a short time.

The magazine was also available in Continental Europe, especially in Germany where the issues could be bought at train stations or airports, whilst the title was licensed for a French version in the 90s. There were other licensed versions in the magazine's history. In 1984 an Australian version was created and proved just as successful for that new market as the original had back in Britain, whilst in the US, a version was published during the Eighties under the title Star Hits, drawing articles from the British version.

It was published by Emap, who also use the name for one of their digital television services, and for a digital radio station. The brand also covered the annual Smash Hits Poll Winners Party, an awards ceremony voted for by readers of the magazine.

In February 2006, it was announced that the magazine would cease publication after the 13 February edition due to declining sales. The digital television, digital radio, and website services will continue.

In July 2009 a one-off commemorative issue of the magazine was published as a tribute to singer Michael Jackson. Further one-off specials were released in November 2009 (Take That) and December 2010 (Lady Gaga)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smash_Hits

The Smash Hits Poll Winners Party was an awards ceremony which ran from 1988 to 2005. Each award winner was voted by readers of the Smash Hits magazine. It ended with the closure of the magazine in February 2006.
The event was initially produced by concert promoter, Harvey Goldsmith and Janet Street-Porter. Steps manager Tim Byrne, also worked on the show. Bryne now works alongside Simon Cowell.
The awards ceremony was shown on BBC1 from 1988 to 2000 then later on Channel 4 from 2001 to 2005. During 2004 and 2005 it was renamed to T4 Smash Hits Poll Winners Party.

The award itself was seen as a gimmicky object by many outside the magazines readership, including winners such as rock bands (who only were eligible to win "Best Rock"). It was an oversized fake gold disc bearing the magazine's logo, turned slightly by 45 degrees to the left placed in a black stand.

The ceremony was publicised by Anita Strymowicz for several years. The Smash Hits Poll Winners Party Party, a post-show bash gained almost as much coverage as the event itself with most of the artists and bands attending.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smash_Hits_Poll_Winners_Party.

Michael Jackson has won three Smash Hits Awards:

Best Male Solo Singer

Smash Hits Awards 1992

Best Male Solo Singer

Smash Hits Awards 1993

Best Male Solo Singer

Smash Hits Awards 1995

NARM [National Association of Recording Merchandisers]

Harry Chapin Memorial Humanitarian Award:

Best Male Vocalist Of The Year

February 23

The National Association of Recording Merchandisers ("NARM") is a United States not-for-profit trade association based in Marlton, New Jersey that serves music retailing businesses in lobbying and trade promotion. Established in 1958, the Association's membership includes music and other entertainment retailers, wholesalers, distributors, record labels, multimedia suppliers, and suppliers of related products and services, as well as individual professionals and educators in the music business field.

According to its Mission Statement, NARM "serves the music and other entertainment software industry as the pre-eminent forum for insight and dialog in an increasingly diverse and rapidly evolving industry".
NARM retail members operate 7,000 storefronts that account for almost 85% of the music sold in the $12 billion U.S. music market.

NARM rewards Michael with the "Harry Chapin Memorial Humanitarian Award", at the 37th annual NARM Convention in San Diego, Ca.
The award recognizing efforts to advance social change. The award is not given out every year. This is one of five humanitarian awards issued in honor of Harry Chapin.

Harry Forster Chapin (December 7, 1942 - July 16, 1981) was a American folk singer, playwright, known for his story songs. Later in his life he focused his energy on the philanthropic efforts with a special focus on world hunger with creation of World Hunger Year. He also performed benefit concerts for hundreds of other organizations during his career. Toward the end of his career, half his concerts were benefits.

On that occasion, Michael gives a special preview of several new songs off of his forthcoming album, "HIStory".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Association_of_Recording_Merchandisers
http://mjjtime.blogspot.com/search/label/1995

Michael Jackson 1995 NARM

Last edited:

VH-1 Awards (Honors)

Special Award for charitable works

June 22

"Michaeel Jackson The Power of Music Is The Power Of the Soul. VH1 Honors The Musician Who Goes Beyond Sharing The Soul and Shdres time, Fnergy, and Resources To Help Others.
June 22nd 1995."

VH1 or Vh1 (known as VH-1: Video Hits One from 1985 to 1994) is an American cable television network based in New York City. Launched on Tuesday January 1, 1985 in the old space of Turner Broadcasting's short-lived Cable Music Channel, the original purpose of the channel was to build on the success of MTV by playing music videos, but targeting a slightly older demographic than its sister channel, focusing on the lighter, softer side of popular music. The channel was originally created by Warner-Amex Satellite Entertainment, at the time a division of Warner Communications and owner of MTV. Both VH1 and its sister channel MTV are currently part of the MTV Networks division of corporate parent Viacom. While VH1 still occasionally plays music videos and the Top 20 Video Countdown, its more recent claim to fame has been in the area of music-related reality programming, such as Behind the Music, the I Love the... series, the Celebreality block of programming, and the channel's overall focus on popular culture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/VH1

Every year, The American cable TV station VH1, which broadcasts music videos 24 hours a day, organizes a gala event in honor of the show-biz personalities who regularly contribute to charity.

This year Michael was quest of honor for his work with Heat The World.
The actor Morgan Freeman, who presided over the ceremonies, spoke of the many causes that Heat the World has sponsored since its creation.
The group “Boys it Men” then came on stage to interpret Heal The World: and right smack in the middle of they performance. Michael appeared in a cloud of smoke from beneath the stage. He sand for a white with Boys it Men, as the audience gave him a standing ovation. He then went up to the podium, where Morgan Freedman handed him his awards, trophy that will henceforth be called the “Michael Jackson Special Award”, and will be awarded to artists who follow the example set by the King of Pop in working for humanitarian causes “Thanks Morgan”.

Michael said in his soft voice, audibly moved, as he received the trophy. “Thanks you VH1, thanks you for this honor. Thanks you all my friends and fans for your love and support. You've given me some much, it allowed me to take some of that love and pass it on to those people whose problems in this world need and deserve out help. A perfect example is the recent UN announcement that : to 3 million lives could be saved if Third World children were given a vitamin A pill there times a year. Cost per child is just six cents, that's all. So we must join together in healing the world so we can share this beautiful planet in joy and love. I love you very much”.

History Magazine,№2, 1995

Michael Jackson's Acceptance Speech 1995

[video=youtube;1nzXzy5rpqk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nzXzy5rpqk[/video]

Michael Jackson with Boys II Men - Heal The World & We Are The World

[video=youtube;z29h40ANw-k]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z29h40ANw-k[/video]

Last edited:

MTV Video Music Awards

Best Dance Video "Scream"

Best Choreography "Scream"

Best Art Direction "Scream"

September 7

An MTV Video Music Award (commonly abbreviated as a VMA), is an award presented by the cable channel MTV to honor the best in music videos. Originally conceived as an alternative to the Grammy Awards (in the video category), the annual MTV Video Music Awards ceremony has often been called the "Oscars for youth", an acknowledgment of the VMA ceremony's ability to draw millions of youth from teens to 20-somethings each year. By 2001, the VMA had become a coveted award. The statue given to winners is an astronaut on the moon, one of the earliest representations of MTV.
The annual VMA ceremony is usually held in mid-September, and broadcast live on MTV. The first VMA ceremony was held in 1984 at New York City's Radio City Music Hall. Other VMAs have been held in Los Angeles, Miami, and Las Vegas.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MTV_Video_Music_Award

Megastar Michael Jackson opened the recent 12th annual MTV video Music Awards with a bang, boom and three costume changes. One critic raved that "apparently the M in MTV stands for Michael".
The audience cheered wildly as the King of Pop performed a 15-minute medley of his greatest hits including Billie Jean, Scream, Dangerous, and his current smash, You Are Not Alone.
He was joined onstage by a children's choir, a troupe of dancers and guitarist Slash at different times during the opening number.
Before he launched into an exhilarant performance of Dangerous, Michael said:
"Some of us like to play it safe and take each day as it comes. Some of us like to take that crazy walk on the wild side . . . so, for those of us who like living dangerously - this one’s for you!"
"Thank you", he told the crowd, which gave him a standing ovation. "Listen, I love you." Jackson's wife Lisa Marie Presley-Jackson and his sister, superstar Janet Jackson led the applause at the sold-out Radio City Music Hall.
As a finale, Michael sang You Are Not Alone. Michael's performance and the standing ovation he received proved unquestionably his continued popularity with the public in general, and his ability to excite and satisfy a live audience. Michael Jackson featured a new look for this public appearance.
Then, rather disappointingly, as the show progressed the innovative Scream promo picked up just three awards: Best Dance Video, Best Choreography (Michael, Lavelle Smith, Travis Payne, Tina Landon and Sean Cheeseman) and Best Art Direction (Tom Foden).
Michael and Janet collected the first of these awards personally and, in his brief acceptance speech, Michael said, "My favorite thing about doing the Scream video was that it was really an excuse to work with my sister, Janet, because I truly adore her. She’s one of the sweetest people in the world."
Janet caused a stir by wearing a T-shirt with "PERVERT 2" embroidered on it, her way of showing her support for Michael.
"I had it made especially," she told reporters. "People can draw their own conclusions."
Which is precisely what many people did - wrongly!

Jet, Sept.25th, 1995
http://mjjtime.blogspot.com/2010/09/today-in-mjj-history_07.html

Michael Jackson MTV VMA 1995

[video=youtube;K7NBx2uAgmA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7NBx2uAgmA[/video]

Michael Jackson MTV Video Music Awards 1995 Performance

[video=youtube;_tjg_aCp6ao]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_tjg_aCp6ao[/video]

BET Walk Of Fame Award

First ever recipient of the BET Walk Of Fame Award

September 23

The BET Awards show celebrates the achievements of African Americans and other minorities within the entertainment industry. Categories such as music, athletics, acting, and others are awarded.

Michael was in Washington DC, to join the 15th Anniversary celebrations of Black Entertainment Television.

As well as singing You Are Not Alone with the Union Temple Baptist Choir, he became the first inductee in BET’s newly founded Walk Of Fame - created to recognize contributions to the music industry by African American artists.

Robert L. Johnson, BET’s president, presented a special plaque to Michael, who said he was ‘really proud’ and that it was ‘a great honour’. The BET show was screened, on American cable television, on 6th December 1995.

http://mjjtime.blogspot.com/2010/09/today-in-mjj-history_22.html

Michael Jackson BET Award 1995

[video=youtube;p4x7bm3ItDE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4x7bm3ItDE[/video]

[video=youtube;py-Xamf5CPI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=py-Xamf5CPI[/video]

Last edited:

King Of Ghana, Africa, Recognition:

Diamond of Africa Award

November, 2

Michael Jackson receives the Diamond of Africa award from Ghana’s President, Jerry Rawlings during a dinner at the Hotel Hilton in Beverly Hills, California.

The evening's highlight was the appearance of pop legend Michael Jackson who postponed a trip to Europe to make certain he was at the event. "I'm supposed to be in Germany, but I postponed it to be here," Michael told the President and First Lady. "I was advised of your presence and I found out about your mission to rebuild Africa. I couldn't resist. I love Africa... You are not alone."

Michael present the first couple with two elegantly decorated swords on behalf of Saudi Arabian Prince Al-Waleed bin Talal. According to the dinner's organizer, Dr. Khalid Abdullah Tariq AlMansour, the swords were designed "to cut out devision, insecurity, hypocrisy and negativism. Rise and Unite! Africa is back."

President Rawlings said of Michael to the sellout, black-tie crowd: "I never thought I'd have the honor and privilege of meeting the genius in person. To meet him on a day like this is an honor. What impressed me most is that he's a man of heart."

The President and first lady expressed their gratitude to Michael by presenting him with the elegant Diamond of Africa, To a Favorite Son of Africa Michael Jackson, offered by "That's What Friends Are For Committee". On accepting the honor, Michael acknowledges a few children that joined him on stage, among whom cancer-stricken ones.

http://mjjtime.blogspot.com/search/...0-07:00&max-results=20&start=14&by-date=false

[video=youtube;Eq3_HvWViSI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eq3_HvWViSI[/video]

Brit Awards

Artist of a Generation Award

February 19

http://www.brits.co.uk/britstv/1996-artist-of-a-generation-michael-jackson

“London, February 19th, 1996: for the second time in less than six months, Michael Jackson is again in a European television studio to perform one of the songs from his last album. The Brit Awards - equivalent of the American Music Awards - receive the King of Pop this year. With all the greats of British pop music watching, Michael will sing “Earth Song” and later will be bestowed a special award created especially in his honor the ‘ Artist of a Generation’ award.”

The account of the 1996 Brit Awards could have sounded like that , summed up in a few innocuous lines. But unfortunately, Jarvis Cocker had to make a spectacle of himself and disrupt the show. Who is Jarvis Cocker? He’s the lead singer for the British pop group Pulp. Like everybody else, you’ve surely already heard about the incident that caused so much commotion at the year’s Brit Awards: Jarvis Cocker tried to interrupt Michael Jackson’s live performance. The affair was picked up by the press throughout the world. All kinds of things were reported. Today, History Magazine is going to objectively reveal the whole truth about this ridiculous, troubling incident, giving a chance for all sides to state their point of view.

London, February 19 th 1996: While Michael Jackson is performing “ Earth Song” for the audience present at the Brit Awards, Jarvis Cocker and Pete Mansell , members of the group Pulp, climb up onto the stage and try to interrupt the live performance. Precisely at this moment, Michael Jackson is at the other end of the stage, on a crane carrying him, suspended, over the crowd. He can’t even see the commotion going on at the other end of the stage. Jarvis Cocker, in the middle of a group of young extras, begins his own little act: he shows his behind to the audience and starts making obscene gestures. Pete Mansell decided to climb down off the stage without imitating him. A member of security, who’s also playing one of the extras, quickly intervenes. He grabs Cocker by the arm and tries to lead him backstage. Cocker resists and manages to make it back to the middle of the stage. But he doesn’t continue his little performance for long. This time, they come to get him and manage to eject him from the stage for good. Cocker then returns to his table in the audience, where he sits peacefully, watching the rest of the show, until the police show up to arrest him a little later in the evening. Why the police? Because Cocker is accused of having brutally knocked about three children is said to even have a cracked rib. No one knew it at the time, but Cocker is not directly responsible for the accusations against him. What actually happened is that at the moment when he was being removed from the stage, while he was resisting the security people, three children who happened to be in the way of the scuffle were lightly injured. While waiting to clarify exactly what happened, the police held Cocker in his dressing room, then hauled him off to the station. He was released at dawn the next day on bail.

In the hours immediately following the incident, everyone was wondering what exactly pushed Cocker to attempt to interrupt Michael Jackson’s performance. A communiqué was quickly released by a spokesman for the Brit Awards: “ We are extremely concemed that Jarvis Cocker’s actions resulted in injury to three children who were performing with Michael Jackson. Whilst the Brit Awards is an exuberant, high spirited occasion, it is totally unacceptable for any artist to disrupt another artist’s performance. To do so with such apparent disregard for the safety of the performers on stage, the production crew and the audience was dangerous and irresponsible.”

It wasn’t until the next day, through an open letter addressed to the media, that Jarvis Cocker explained his own point of view. “ My actions were a form of protest at the way Michael Jackson sees himself as some kind of Christ-like figure with the power of healing. The music industry allows him to indulge his fantasies because of his wealth and power. People go along with it even though they know it’s a bit sick. I just couldn’t go along with it any more. It was a spur-of-the-moment decision brought on by boredom and frustration. I just ran on the stage and showed off. I didn’t make any physical contact with anyone as far as I can recall. I certainly didn’t push anybody off stage. I find it very insulting to be accussed of assaulting children. All I was trying to do was to make a point and do something that lots of other people would have loved to have done if only they’d dared.”

Jarvis Cocker’s communiqué was followed by Sony Music’s : “Michael Jackson respects Pulp as artists but is totally shocked by their behavior and utterly fails to understand their complete lack of respect for fellow artists and performers. His main concern is for the people that worked for him and the fact that children should be attacked. He feels sickened, saddened, shocked, upset, cheated, angry, but is immensely proud that the cast remained professional and the show went on despite the disgusting and cowardly behavior of the two characters that tried to disrupt it. Even though the evening ended on a sad note, he wants to thank all his fans and the media for their understanding and support.”

History Magazine,№4, 1996

Michael Jackson Brit Awards 1996

[video=youtube;jfbY9IBJmNs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jfbY9IBJmNs[/video]

Brit Awards 1996 - Earth Song live

[video=youtube;CJqIEU6RfUo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJqIEU6RfUo[/video]

Last edited:

World Music Awards

Best Selling Record Of All Time Thriller

Best Selling Male Artist Of 1996

Best Selling American Artist

Best Selling R&B Artist

Best Selling Artist Ever

May 8

Sunday May 5th, 1996: Michael Jackson has just arrived in Monte Carlo, capital of the world-renowned Principality of Monaco on the equally famous Cote d’Azur in the south of France . He’s come to take part in the gala celebrity event known as the World Music Awards, which are scheduled to take place in a few days.The World Music Awards is a highly prestigious ceremony, during which artists from around the world are honored for the year’s record-breaking album sales. In 1993, Michael was here for the festivities in Monte Carlo, and went home with an all-time record of three awards. This year, 1996, a new page in music history will be written here. The King of Pop will be honored with no less than five awards from the World Music Awards.

During the days leading up to the festivities, Michael spent most of his time rehearsing for the show that he was planning on offering the WMA’s guests and spectators. According to the experts, some 900 million people around the world be tuned in for the airing of the Awards. There are certainly few televisions shows or events that can boast such figures. For all of these people - practically one person for every seven of the world’s total population! - Michael planned to give them a very special performance of his “Earth song”. History Magazine’s special correspondants were on location…

Wednesday May 8th , 10.30 p.m.: the lights of the Monaco Sporting Club go off. On the stage of the club’s performance hall, a giant sphere representing the Earth is in position.Suddenly, a vertical opening in the middle can be seen, slowly separating the globe’s two hemispheres. From the light glowing from within the sphere, Michael Jackson’s silhouette can be discerned. The first notes of his “Earth Song” begin to fill the cavernous hall. The performance that follows is charged with energy. Michael complements his legendary with little dance steps, clearly a recent innovation. He does the robot, moonwalks to the left, spins around… His dance number is brilliantly effortless, as extraordinary and inspired as the song that accompanies it.

And as the song draws to a close, and the “Earth song” melody is played in a loop on piano. Michael heads to the left side of the stage, to the microphone stand from which the show’s hosts address the audience. And there, Michael starts dancing again. A voice can barely be heard through the sounds of the cheering audience. It’s Michael’s! He had lip-synched to “Earth Song” earlier, but now he’s singing live! Unfortunately, the microphones next to him are off. Michael’s voice can barely be heard. Eventually, and luckily for them, the sound technicians finally wake up and get the mikes to work. Michael’s voice rings out clearly now through the vast performance hall. He’s singing “what about us… What about children now… What about us…”. His voice quivers with extraordinary emotion. The audience has suddenly become quiet in order to hear everything, every note, every fantastic shimmering sound of passion and caring. But Michael chooses not to make this exceptional moment last any longer. Rapidly, he stops singing and goes to the middle of the stage, where a group of children has come to join him for the finale. The audience is visibly overwhelmed with the emotion that Michael’s voice has created.

As soon as he was backstage, Michael headed to his dressing room to watch a video playback of his performance. Later on, we would learn that he was not at all happy with the way things went. During his act, the ventilation machines placed before the stage stopped working, the smoke machine wasn’t working either, not to mention the mikes that were off at the wrong time, as everybody could see. . As a result, Michael insisted on doing the whole performance over again. The gala event’s organizers had no choice but to accept. The audience had to wait 15 minutes, the time it took for Michael to make sure things were arranged just right this time.

The second take of “Earth Song” was virtually the same as the first, with perhaps a bit less spontaneity. Michael also didn’t redo the original dance steps he delighted us with during the first performance, nor did he sing live at the end. But for the second take, he had the fans in the audience come right up to the stage - as he had wished all along - to create a real live concert atmosphere.

And as the irreducible perfectionist, Michael certainly would have been able to do the number again, and again, as many times as it took to get it just right. However, because the World Music Awards are almost recorded live, there was no possibility of starting over again. The show was already behind schedule. So Michael went back to reclaim his seat in the audience. He would appear on stage again later, when he went up to accept the trophies that the World Music Awards had bestowed on him. In the televised version of the show, every one of his appearances on stage was broadcast.

History Magazine,№4, 1996

Michael Jackson World Music Awards 1996

[video=youtube;cEx6xKdcmNY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cEx6xKdcmNY[/video]

Earth Song - World Music Awards 1996

[video=youtube;EIdQO4TUKGM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIdQO4TUKGM[/video]

Last edited:
Back