Michaels 90s live performances are overrated

PurpleThriller

Proud Member
You heard me.Yes,over the years, I started to realize that ,,Michael Jackson live,, were maybe the most overrated shows of the 1990s.His shows were always full of damn lame playback.After The Bad Tour,Michael used playback extremely much.Half of The Dangerous Concert is playback.All the songs where his vocals sound actually great,like Jam ,Thriller,Black or White ,Smooth Criminal,Will you be there,The way you make me feel,Heal the World,Bad,Man in the Mirror,Dangerous itself.......are completely lip synched.The second half of the heavily edited Bucharest 1992 show its completely lip synched.And theres lip synch in the first half too.But if you take a look at Wanna Be Starting Something,Human Nature or Billie Jean ,you can see those are sung live since hes always out of breath and sounds tired most of the times.And especially during the Bucharest show those live songs sounded like an impersonator without any vocal talent has sung them.Not to mention the Bucharest show had to be heavily edited to look like a spectacular show....they had to edit that crappy show to make it look great,but wheres the greatness if all Michael did was lip synching songs?
I really think Mjs later tours are just lipsynching marathons of his hits .The dancing was getting maybe better,but way too robotic.And those werent his moves last time I checked,he borrowed them all :D
Michael Jackson should have stopped after Bad or Dangerous 1992 tour.The 1993 tour and History Tour are the most lame shows I have ever seen.Lazy dance and lipsynching shows. History Tour its a shame :D Live performances wise he completely lost it for me after 1992

I agree that they were not as good as Bad Tour but Dangerous Tour was still very good. Oslo 1992 is a great concert.
I completely agree :D He was still great during the 1992 leg of Dangerous,but something changed after that.Tokyo 1992 seems like his last fire show

I do agree. His performances were still great in the 90s minus the history tour, but not as great as they were in the previous decades. Recently I have been watching a lot of his performances from the 70s when he was a teenager and I am blown away by his singing and dancing. His live singing had obviously declined by the 90s. Even his dancing in the 90s, which was still great was more choreographed and less fluid, in my opinion.

I do agree. His performances were still great in the 90s minus the history tour, but not as great as they were in the previous decades. Recently I have been watching a lot of his performances from the 70s when he was a teenager and I am blown away by his singing and dancing. His live singing had obviously declined by the 90s. Even his dancing in the 90s, which was still great was more choreographed and less fluid, in my opinion.
His teenage performances are cute,but they dont blow me away like his 80s and early 90s ones.The Jacksons late 70s performances are interesting,when not being lip synched tv shows lol,but his early childhood Jackson 5 are just cute...the 1975 Mexico show on the other hand its amazing :D

You heard me.Yes,over the years, I started to realize that ,,Michael Jackson live,, were maybe the most overrated shows of the 1990s.His shows were always full of damn lame playback.After The Bad Tour,Michael used playback extremely much.Half of The Dangerous Concert is playback.All the songs where his vocals sound actually great,like Jam ,Thriller,Black or White ,Smooth Criminal,Will you be there,The way you make me feel,Heal the World,Bad,Man in the Mirror,Dangerous itself.......are completely lip synched.The second half of the heavily edited Bucharest 1992 show its completely lip synched.And theres lip synch in the first half too.But if you take a look at Wanna Be Starting Something,Human Nature or Billie Jean ,you can see those are sung live since hes always out of breath and sounds tired most of the times.And especially during the Bucharest show those live songs sounded like an impersonator without any vocal talent has sung them.Not to mention the Bucharest show had to be heavily edited to look like a spectacular show....they had to edit that crappy show to make it look great,but wheres the greatness if all Michael did was lip synching songs?
I really think Mjs later tours are just lipsynching marathons of his hits .The dancing was getting maybe better,but way too robotic.And those werent his moves last time I checked,he borrowed them all :D
Michael Jackson should have stopped after Bad or Dangerous 1992 tour.The 1993 tour and History Tour are the most lame shows I have ever seen.Lazy dance and lipsynching shows. History Tour its a shame :D Live performances wise he completely lost it for me after 1992

and for such an thread this guy joins this forum. 🙈

So all I'm seeing is somebody with poor grammar b*tching about how 90s Michael wasn't as great as 80s Michael and saying lipsynching is "lazy". Okay. Don't quit your day job. :ROFLMAO::rolleyes:
English not being my mother language it’s maybe the matter ;) Still doesn’t change the fact that Michael was overrated as a live performer after the 1980’ s :)(

Having a bad day again, Triumph1976?

I would not call the HIStory Tour a shame considering that 4.5 million fans attended those concerts, making it in that way one of the biggest and most successful tours of all time (by a solo artist).

And Michael Jackson (in that tour) gave sold-out concerts even in Asian and African countries, which are countries that many top artists have avoided to perform there because they find it difficult to sell many tickets due to their lower popularity in these countries.

I also find it strange that you describe his dancing in HIStory Tour as lazy, actually his dancing in that tour became more refined and he even added new choreographic elements to it.

Believe it or not, Michael Jackson danced more in a HIStory concert than in a BAD concert or in a Dangerous concert.

About his excessive lip-syncing in the HIStory Tour, this is a known issue and it has to do mainly with his health problems at that time (laryngitis, throat problems, nodules on his vocal cords, etc).

I mean, I kinda get that. I also get why fans are tired of discussing the obvious playback, since no one can bring anything new to the table, but I can't deny that especially the HIStory Tour has lost all of its appeal to me over the years. It's the fact that every show is a goddamn carbon copy and the playback of course, there's simply no point in watching some of these concerts, it's really boring and it breaks my heart to say that, it really does. I get nothing out of watching songs like Stranger in Moscow or Heal The World (Off the Wall Medley anyone??) performed live. I know that Michael wanted to present the fans his songs as they knew it from the albums, and maybe that's just an artistic/creative decision which I happen not to agree with, but it's so sad, since that only adds to the fact that there is not much to discover anymore, when it comes to the artist Michael Jackson (in terms of live performances).
Don't get me wrong, with all of the dancing and his overall health I'm not expecting a 100% live show, songs like Smooth Criminal or Dangerous come to mind, but come oooon, I'm kinda sad I don't get to show my friends more of MJ's amazing moments on stage from the 90s on, simply 'cause of the embarrassing use of playback (or the terrible execution of it).

I mean, I kinda get that. I also get why fans are tired of discussing the obvious playback, since no one can bring anything new to the table, but I can't deny that especially the HIStory Tour has lost all of its appeal to me over the years. It's the fact that every show is a goddamn carbon copy and the playback of course, there's simply no point in watching some of these concerts, it's really boring and it breaks my heart to say that, it really does. I get nothing out of watching songs like Stranger in Moscow or Heal The World (Off the Wall Medley anyone??) performed live. I know that Michael wanted to present the fans his songs as they knew it from the albums, and maybe that's just an artistic/creative decision which I happen not to agree with, but it's so sad, since that only adds to the fact that there is not much to discover anymore, when it comes to the artist Michael Jackson (in terms of live performances).
Don't get me wrong, with all of the dancing and his overall health I'm not expecting a 100% live show, songs like Smooth Criminal or Dangerous come to mind, but come oooon, I'm kinda sad I don't get to show my friends more of MJ's amazing moments on stage from the 90s on, simply 'cause of the embarrassing use of playback (or the terrible execution of it).
The only part of the show that I find painful is the OTW medley. MJs overall performance is much more than just singing & the movement during SIM and Billie Jean on certain performances were the best moves he ever did. Certain Billie Jean breakdowns also for me rank very high as his best ever.

The only part of the show that I find painful is the OTW medley. MJs overall performance is much more than just singing & the movement during SIM and Billie Jean on certain performances were the best moves he ever did. Certain Billie Jean breakdowns also for me rank very high as his best ever.
I agree with you, the moves are definitely there. Even though he seems less energetic than in the 80s (obviously, he's only human after all), but at that point he has developed a more refined kind of dancing, more precise in a way, I love that, especially the robotic parts!
But even there, he tends to repeat the same moves in the same part at every concert (I'm not talking about iconic choreography routines like Beat It and stuff), which is why I can never find myself binging several HWT performances in a row.

Completely agree with the OP
His dancing maybe got more complex but the spontaneity and energy was gone, naturally he danced less in the 70s and 80s tours as he was singing live then. Everybody knows singing and dancing don't go well together. Judging by the sound of his live vocals in the 90s he better not have toured at all.

I always wondered why he got back into touring in the first place, since he clearly stated that the BAD Tour would be hist last one. Does anybody know the reason? The new contract with Sony perhaps?

I always wondered why he got back into touring in the first place, since he clearly stated that the BAD Tour would be hist last one. Does anybody know the reason? The new contract with Sony perhaps?
Maybe he never really intended to retire performing after Bad Tour.

Michael probably said that Bad tour was his last tour in the spur of the moment. I very much doubt he meant it.

Well… yes a lot of time how live vocals didn’t sound so good but come on.. the ending of MITM was awesome live singing on BwT and HWT

Cash Rules Everything Around Me
MJ's debt accumulating extravagant lifestyle and huge album budgets had to be taken care of.
20's-early 30's is peak physical level for any person that exerts as much energy as a performer/dancer/athlete. And now that we know he was basically a functioning addict by the end of Dangerous....not hard to realize the effects of that, lack of sleep, wear and tear of years of performing and dancing at high levels and aging all attributed to a decline in his ability to perform consistently as well as he did in the 80's.

Back