Michaels 90s live performances are overrated

Yah it is so overrated. Bad Tour, Victory Tour and Triumph tour are better. Seriously, Triumph tour has best vocal.
Dangerous Tour is not very overrated but not Bucharest. Because there are good DWT concerts like Oslo, Bremen, Copenhagen. But people usually considered Bucharest as best. And also HIStory tour is worst tour he ever did. No energy, no good vocal. And Munich 1997 is very overrated

Yah it is so overrated. Bad Tour, Victory Tour and Triumph tour are better. Seriously, Triumph tour has best vocal.
Dangerous Tour is not very overrated but not Bucharest. Because there are good DWT concerts like Oslo, Bremen, Copenhagen. But people usually considered Bucharest as best. And also HIStory tour is worst tour he ever did. No energy, no good vocal. And Munich 1997 is very overrated
I think we can "all" agree that vocal wise it was the least good tour, however in terms of show, spectacle etc, it was beating the other tours. I've seen both Dangerous and HIStory concerts here in NL and both were incredible shows, being part of the audience you don't really notice the lip-syncing, the experience itself was simply mind-boggling fantastic. When you now see the videos of the concerts it all becomes clear there was a lot of lip-syncing going on, however these videos fail to capture the magic that the concerts were as a whole.

So what you are saying is, you would rather see a poorly choreographed show but with live singing.
You are bascially a guy who gets off seeing the performer sit in their chair, with a guitar and a microphone.
That's fine but that's not what Michael was about. Michael was about entertainment, about magic, about the experience.
Special effects in a movie also didn't happen in real life, but who cares. If they are done properly, the experience is enjoyable and the viewer gets immersed.
As far as I'm concerned, Michael can lip-sync the entire damn show, as long as I can see him dancing and enjoying onstage. He brought his music to life, gave it character. Who cares about live singing at that point.

My question is why these people joined a forum JUST to TRY and tear down Michael. Is there an agenda? Hmm, IMO, there IS an agenda. Do you actually think I would join another artist’s JUST to criticize and tear them down, if I didn’t have an agenda? Why NOW? Why not last year or the year before? What “fan” does that? 🤨

@SilkySnare you can still put in a good show on a much smaller scale though. Does Michael need pyrotechnics, tanks, a dozen background dancers and hugely build sets to perform a magical show? Short answer : no
If you are in doubt about my statement just watch the performances of Billie Jean or Human Nature or if we’re talking about live singing just watch the magical performance of Gone Too Soon at the Clinton gala. This is also how he could have performed… just my opinion

Smaller occasions can be well choreographed too, it doesn’t have to be big in numbers.

My question is why these people joined a forum JUST to TRY and tear down Michael. Is there an agenda? Hmm, IMO, there IS an agenda. Do you actually think I would join another artist’s JUST to criticize and tear them down, if I didn’t have an agenda? Why NOW? Why not last year or the year before? What “fan” does that? 🤨
THAT'S WTF I'M SAYING!!

I think we can "all" agree that vocal wise it was the least good tour, however in terms of show, spectacle etc, it was beating the other tours. I've seen both Dangerous and HIStory concerts here in NL and both were incredible shows, being part of the audience you don't really notice the lip-syncing, the experience itself was simply mind-boggling fantastic. When you now see the videos of the concerts it all becomes clear there was a lot of lip-syncing going on, however these videos fail to capture the magic that the concerts were as a whole.
It's not like HIStory tour is bad but it's worst among best though. Like I said, energy and vocal are not great. But I still like instrumentation and it is best choreographic tour ever. However, people , especially people who don't watch many MJ concerts or who don't know HIStory tour was lip-synced, agreed that HIStory is best tour. That's the reason HIStory Tour is overrated. Meanwhile Good performance like Bad tour 1987 is hated by fan just because of setlists and Because of the rarity of tapes, Bad tour 1988 is overlooked. Otherwise, HIStory is still incredible.

It's not like HIStory tour is bad but it's worst among best though. Like I said, energy and vocal are not great. But I still like instrumentation and it is best choreographic tour ever. However, people , especially people who don't watch many MJ concerts or who don't know HIStory tour was lip-synced, agreed that HIStory is best tour. That's the reason HIStory Tour is overrated. Meanwhile Good performance like Bad tour 1987 is hated by fan just because of setlists and Because of the rarity of tapes, Bad tour 1988 is overlooked. Otherwise, HIStory is still incredible.
I've watched every MJ concert that's available so many times, I don't even know how many times. In fact, I watch a MJ concert every single day (mostly HIStory tour). I'm aware that HIStory tour is lip synched, and I still think it's the best?

To be fair, I think in a way it's better he lip synced it because

Well...

Listen to it yourself

(2:30) I mean I still love it, if Michael did an entire song where he sang falsely or just making burps I'd still love it

But being objective, that's not really good

Michael's vocals weren't at their best during the HIStory Tour so while I don't like it the lip syncing is understandable. And that Scream clip is a perfect example of that. And this was the very first song in the show.

Well we know since the dangerous tour that his voice deteriorated, because he sounds out of breath on most WBSS openers ever since 1992. This shows that high intensity movement and singing at the same time just doesn’t work. Michael uses every piece of body for his dancing. His upper body is equally active as his lower body.
If you listen to clips of the early 80s you can hear he is out of breath to at times but he still seemed to have more control.

I have often wondered what went wrong during scream Brunei. I think there must have been a technical problem which required him to sing the first verse live. Unfortunately technical problems were rare :p
I also think singing and dancing with a headset is pretty difficult, every breath you take is heard.
As bad as he sounds this small segment of scream is the best thing HIStory tour had to offer In my humble opinion.

Well we know since the dangerous tour that his voice deteriorated, because he sounds out of breath on most WBSS openers ever since 1992. This shows that high intensity movement and singing at the same time just doesn’t work. Michael uses every piece of body for his dancing. His upper body is equally active as his lower body.
If you listen to clips of the early 80s you can hear he is out of breath to at times but he still seemed to have more control.

I have often wondered what went wrong during scream Brunei. I think there must have been a technical problem which required him to sing the first verse live. Unfortunately technical problems were rare :p
I also think singing and dancing with a headset is pretty difficult, every breath you take is heard.
As bad as he sounds this small segment of scream is the best thing HIStory tour had to offer In my humble opinion.
He also sings a little part of Dangerous Live in Oostende 1997 and the ending of TWYMMF in amsterdam 1996 because of technical issues.

It’s funny how Michael’s vocals declined between Royal Brunei concert which took place in July 96 and the start of History tour in September 96.

It’s funny how Michael’s vocals declined between Royal Brunei concert which took place in July 96 and the start of History tour in September 96.
I don't see a decline in his vocals between Royal Brunei and say Bucharest 96. He sounds pretty much the same when he sings live. If he would have done the same set in Bucharest, he would have been just as able to pull it off with live vocals imo.

I don't see a decline in his vocals between Royal Brunei and say Bucharest 96. He sounds pretty much the same when he sings live. If he would have done the same set in Bucharest, he would have been just as able to pull it off with live vocals imo.
I disagree. I think his vocals weren’t at his best at Royal Brunei concert, but they were still better than his vocals at any history concert.

I think the Dangerous Tour had plenty of great performances, and there were moments of brilliance sprinkled through the HIStory era (e.g., the Royal Brunei show, the MTV VMAs performance, the 1999 rendition of “Dangerous”). The HIStory Tour was godawful though, that much I can’t deny. The miming was also embarrassing, but it seems a bit ridiculous to criticize a man in his late 30s for being out of breath when he’s dancing his ass off for 2 straight hours.

The biggest issue with his ‘90s performances, in my opinion, is that he started recycling proven positives and stopped trying to surprise us. Every performance of “Thriller,” “Beat It,” “Human Nature,” “Smooth Criminal,” “Wanna Be Startin’ Somethin’,” etc. was the exact same. For me, it makes it abundantly obvious that MJ didn’t want to tour and, as such, didn’t put his 100% into the creative aspect of it.

Side note: I think the complaints over MJ’s energy and stamina are nonsensical. I despise his miming as much as the next person, but does anyone really expect a man in his mid-to-late 30s to have the same agility as he did in his 20s? Even though I hate the HIStory tour, the fact that he could still maintain that much at that age is incredibly impressive.

C'mon he was in his 30s that's not old. I can go on and name an endless list of athletes who still performed at the highest level in their 30s. Their was absolutely nothing wrong with his stamina or he wouldn't be doing these energetic dance shows. There was something wrong with the voice and nothing else imo. Also laziness, he knew he would get away with miming. He long stopped caring about what the press thought, if the fans didn't mind him miming then it was good enough for him.

Michael had been singing and non stop performing since he was around 5 to 9 years old. How many tours and award shows that man has done from the 1960's to September 1996? The amount of body injuries the man had (broken foot, collapsed lung, burned scalp which caused constant pain with a balloon being inserted into his scalp!!!!) constant throat problems (The LA BAD Tour shows had to be delayed months later to January 1989 because his voice declined) Lets not even talk about how many physical health and mental health issues (with Lupus constantly flaming on his body, and his skin being sensitive to any sunlight due to Vitiligo, stress) I would call Michael Jackson a lot of things and critique him, but him being LAZY???? He literally continued to perform after the Munich 1999 bridge accident which cause back pain for the rest of his life! Then after the last song was done, collapsed in the back stage. Michael Jackson had talent that was out of this world, but he was still human, and the constant problems someone in his shoes would face, eventually will start affecting anyone's performance.

He long stopped caring about what the press thought
If I recall correctly, Michael took out "Morphine" out of the 1997 HIStory World Tour, one of the reasons was because of the press coverage him performing the song would cause.

If I recall correctly, Michael took out "Morphine" out of the 1997 HIStory World Tour, one of the reasons was because of the press coverage him performing the song would cause.
Is that true? Did Michael rehearse Morphine for History Tour?

@issabreakofdawn

Life is a rollercoaster but I stand by my opinion it was lazy of him to not sing live anymore from the 90s onwards. I'm not talking about the dozens of other things he was involved him, this is solely about touring. Touring when not able to sing is criminal. It would absolutely not be appreciated by today's crowd, he would get massacred (figuratively) even by fans.
Though I also believe it was not solely his decision to do these gargantuan tours, in fact I think basically every tour he did after "bad" was not his own choice but the record companies choice. We could continue talking in circles, we all have our opinions.

But yeah maybe I'm being harsh, his life had been hard for sure. I would have collapsed much earlier under that weight. I already feel uncomfortable facing 4 people...

I'm not a fan of lip syncing generally and I think it's a shame that he did it as much as he did. I do think as time went on it became more understandable though. Expecting a singer to sing totally live whilst being out of breath from dancing, and still sound good is expecting something that isn't necessarily going to happen. I do think MJ was also experiencing vocal problems even back then, not to a serious degree but serious enough for him to re-evaluate how much he sang live. MJ also seemed obsessed with having his live performances sound exactly like the album, which definitely contributed to him lip syncing, and is something that I think is unfortunate.

What I can agree on is that I think Michael could have at least sang some of the more calm songs like "Heal The World" and "You Are Not Alone" live. But I never really cared when he lip synced, and casual viewers who flock to Munich 1997 to this day (due to how HQ the video and production quality is) either don't even notice or don't obsess over it. This is why Dangerous tour is my favorite, It still has live vocals that made the Bad Tour special, but also has the improved and new evolving dance moves/theatre like effects that made the HIStory Tour special also. It's like the middle ground/hybrid of those two tours.

I really think MJ had less desire for the HIStory Tour then for his previous tours, but the record label was correct in that it definitely extended the life of the HIStory album era (which then crossed over with the BOTDF EP during the 1997 leg) The first tour date started more than over a year after HIStory/promo album was released, and by the time the tour wrapped up, it was nearly 3 years since HIStory started to release in its final stages (Smile was planned for a January 1998 single/radio release, but was canned) Dangerous also had this "extended life" with Michael doing that US PR tour in early 1993 (which really helped his public image in the US and his sales soared again in the US, which is amazing for a then 1 and a half old album) If the 93 allegations never happened, Michael would have released (as speculated) Dangerous as his single/radio hit music video, instead of leaving "Gone Too Soon" as the last single, and probably would have had finished the Dangerous Tour in early 1994, but I am afraid I am getting a bit off topic here LOL.

Is that true? Did Michael rehearse Morphine for History Tour?
I might have gotten some of the info wrong, according to "All The Songs Michael Jackson" book, Michael wanted to preform it, but his record label said no due to public backlash, I stand corrected if so.

I might have gotten some of the info wrong, according to "All The Songs Michael Jackson" book, Michael wanted to preform it, but his record label said no due to public backlash, I stand corrected if so.
Thank you. Do you know how genuine "All The Songs Michael Jackson" book is?

Back