Michael's background dancer saying they performed RTT on the dangerous tour once, where is it?

rolerprod

Proud Member
at 56:00-58:00 he says they performed it in Germany with the full routine and "masks" does anyone know anything about that?

also makes sense mike decided to pull it off cause it was way too vocally demanding

Maybe he was thinking about the 'in chair' performance in US. Don't know if he was there. I have never heard of RTT live in Germany, but if it exists, I NEED to see it!!

Maybe he was thinking about the 'in chair' performance in US. Don't know if he was there. I have never heard of RTT live in Germany, but if it exists, I NEED to see it!!
I don't think so he's talking about the chair performance. I haven't listened to this interview here but he talks about this in another online interview. A discussion ensued in the comments. Someone who knew someone who had - so it was claimed - attended every single gig on the tour confirmed that RTT was never performed at a show. The conclusion was that Eddie was remembering a full-on rehearsal but that an actual performance never took place.

Whether that counts as definitive proof is anybody's guess.

I think so too :( given that it was Dangerous era, if it was ever performed, a footage would have appeared. I got super excited for a minute 😥

It's worth pointing out that Eddie is a great interviewee. Haven't listened to this interview but have heard him interviewed elsewhere and he was fab. Great storyteller. Great memories of working with Michael. I really enjoyed listening to him.

I don't think so he's talking about the chair performance. I haven't listened to this interview here but he talks about this in another online interview. A discussion ensued in the comments. Someone who knew someone who had - so it was claimed - attended every single gig on the tour confirmed that RTT was never performed at a show. The conclusion was that Eddie was remembering a full-on rehearsal but that an actual performance never took place.

Whether that counts as definitive proof is anybody's guess.
he made a good point about the fact that michael put so much money on that number and everyone rehearsed it for hours and it was long and very difficult that he must have performed it at least once, which makes alot of sense.
he also said another dancer remembered performing it on the tour once as well

I remember this topic.

Personal speculation is that he is talking about some rehearsal before the opening Munich show. Maybe Michael wanted to run through the performance before withdrawing the song from the setlist completely, if he did not already do so in earlier rehearsal. There is just no way there would be no video, or at least no photos, if this performance actually happened in a show. Just look at how much footage we have from DWT, amateur and pro! The only Germany concert we do not have video of is Bayreuth (9/2/92). All other German shows we have video of, amateur and pro, and none of which contain this RTT performance, so they check out

he made a good point about the fact that michael put so much money on that number and everyone rehearsed it for hours and it was long and very difficult that he must have performed it at least once, which makes alot of sense.
he also said another dancer remembered performing it on the tour once as well
Interesting.

Otoh, if another dancer remembers a performance of RTT, that's significant. It supports Eddie's claim that they did perform it. I listened to the relevant bit and it was interesting cos Eddie says people keep telling him the song was never performed at a show but he insists he still has a memory of that happening.

Otoh, it does seem weird that there is no evidence, either photos, film footage or even just anecdotes from fans who were there. That would be a LOT of people who would have seen it.

It's such a mystery.

Last edited:
Interesting.

Otoh, if another dancer remembers a performance of RTT, that's significant. It supports Eddie's claim that they did perform it. I listened to the relevant bit and it was interesting cos Eddie says people keep telling him the song was never performed at a show but he insists he still has a memory of that happening.

Otoh, it does seem weird that there is no evidence, either photos, film footage or even just anecdotes from fans who were there. That would be a LOT of people who would have seen it.

It's such a mystery.
someone should grill him HARD lol

Grilling him is not going to change the fact that we missed out on an amazing performance, twice!!
Though I love the song, but there is something totally wrong about it 🤣
c4569b222e02a0df8e4cec1c869ba93f.jpg

Grilling him is not going to change the fact that we missed out on an amazing performance, twice!!
Though I love the song, but there is something totally wrong about it 🤣
c4569b222e02a0df8e4cec1c869ba93f.jpg
You missed the fact that he travels around as a column of sand. The guy clearly has the ability to transcend any and all historical / physical / technological limitations.

I really do not think RTT was ever performed live during the Dangerous Tour in front of an audience.

Maybe a dress rehearsal just before the tour started, but had MJ ever performed the song live we would know for sure. - Some german fans would remember surely and write about it, reviews of the concerts would probably mention the performance - or sometimes reviews have a set-list of the songs performed.

I am very sure RTT was onlt performed once - at an awardshow with MJ having an injury and sat in a wheelchair.

But God almighty I hope I'm wrong. Imagine seeing a full live performance of RTT from the Dangerous Tour - maybe even sung live... Would be incredible.

You missed the fact that he travels around as a column of sand. The guy clearly has the ability to transcend any and all historical / physical / technological limitations.
conspiracy theory #11 Michael Jackson time travels

I really do not think RTT was ever performed live during the Dangerous Tour in front of an audience.

Maybe a dress rehearsal just before the tour started, but had MJ ever performed the song live we would know for sure. - Some german fans would remember surely and write about it, reviews of the concerts would probably mention the performance - or sometimes reviews have a set-list of the songs performed.

I am very sure RTT was onlt performed once - at an awardshow with MJ having an injury and sat in a wheelchair.

But God almighty I hope I'm wrong. Imagine seeing a full live performance of RTT from the Dangerous Tour - maybe even sung live... Would be incredible.
Back to the "Just Good Friend" performance with Steve being only a guest appearence on Bad lol.

It wasn't a wheelchair, it was an ordinary chair. He used a wheelchair when receiving some of the awards, but not for the performance

They withdrew the 'Remember The Time' performance from the Dangerous Tour (before the start of the tour) because of its heavy costumes and risky dance routines.

Jennifer Batten had already explained the issue with the costumes and how they were prone to malfunction.

Costumes were also time-consuming while putting them on and taking them off (for all the back-up dancers).

Also, it has been said that Michael Jackson feared that his dance routines were too risky for potential ankle twisting, which would lead to future cancellations of concerts of that tour.

Of course, these things also mean that the song was never performed during that tour, contrary to what some people claim in their interviews every now and then.

I doubt RTT was performed at the Dangerous tour. If it was, we surely would have had some footage of it by now.

But having said that, Walk Right Now was performed at the Triumph tour, and there is no footage available, so I guess there is hope that RTT was performed at the Dangerous tour.

I doubt RTT was performed at the Dangerous tour. If it was, we surely would have had some footage of it by now.

But having said that, Walk Right Now was performed at the Triumph tour, and there is no footage available, so I guess there is hope that RTT was performed at the Dangerous tour.
well, Triumph and Dangerous are not the same, completely different era. There is so much more footage available for Dangerous, both official and amateur. I doubt anything so big as RTT live is still unknown about Dangerous.

Resurrecting this thread.

I’ve been at Kingvention 2022 today and Kevin Dorsey, Michaels vocal director on tour also said that Remember the Time was performed!

He also said so was Can’t Let Get Away and In The Closet.

Kevin went into detail too about the costumes masks and headdresses.

So two people either have the wrong shard memory on things or it did happen!

My guess though there is some confusion and I think it’s a conflation of rehearsal, instrumental interludes on tour and the Soul Train performance but I want to be proved wrong!

I’ve been at Kingvention 2022 today and Kevin Dorsey, Michaels vocal director on tour also said that Remember the Time was performed!

My guess though there is some confusion and I think it’s a conflation of rehearsal, instrumental interludes on tour and the Soul Train performance but I want to be proved wrong!
We need Sherlock Holmes! Or somebody, lol. This mystery is so intriguing.

What was Kingvention like? Was Kevin good to listen to? I've heard interviews with him and I really enjoyed listening to him.

I've heard stories that remember the time is only performed during rehearsal and at the sole trade awards. And other than that during the tour, it was basically an absolute and the band would play the music while Michael was backstage and the same for In The Closet and can't let her get away.

What was Kingvention like? Was Kevin good to listen to? I've heard interviews with him and I really enjoyed listening to him.
There is no mystery about that.

Kevin Dorsey clearly misremembers.

During the Dangerous Tour era, there were Michael Jackson fanzines with sections dedicated to each Dangerous concert.

These sections also included detailed fan field reports, sent from fans who physically attended those concerts.

The 'Remember The Time' performance was never mentioned in those fanzines, and the reason was simply because it never took place during that tour.

He was really good as was Bill Bottrell and Lavelle Smith Jr. lots of great memories, stories and particularly from Lavelle, gossip. But that has to remain private

He probably remembers wrong. It was probably peformed at the dress rehearsals many times. Maybe even in Munich earlier in the day but was removed before the concert.

Also, it has been said that Michael Jackson feared that his dance routines were too risky for potential ankle twisting, which would lead to future cancellations of concerts of that tour.
I usually never speak on you but this.... bruh where tf do you get this delusional a$$ unfactual unreliable sources from? Too risky? To dance??? Idk what to say about you sometimes. I usually never don't because it's entertaining but this 1 disturbed tf out of me because as a tribute artist & as many times as I did it.... this is just mind blowing to even read

Man, I remember the previous thread about this, because I started that one. This was what Eddie said in an interview in the MJcast, word for word:

"I think we only performed it live once. [...] One time. One time. So one audience got to see that performance. I think we were in Germany. Because I think that's where we started. So I think we were in Germany. This is my... I am trying to remember. And the reason I know we only did it once, is because how physically gruelling it was. And how hard it was to get through the whole thing. I had a gold mask, of, like an Egyptian mask on my face, that was real gold. It was gold. And, we had these two drapes that came down over the speakers, like on the sides of the stage, they were huge. I think they said Michael Jackson in hieroglyphics. I remember I had these gold plates that went across my chest, and we had these, like, a black fitted shirt that was really tight, you know, and then my black jeans, and then we had this kind of – for lack of a better word – kind of a skirt in front and back of our jeans. It was very Egyptian looking. And because we're in a gold mask with a little tiny breathing hole, it was so claustrophobic in it, and we're sweating, and to be able to see where you were on stage was so challenging... After the show, he felt it was too physically gruelling and vocally gruelling on him. [...] as much as he loved the song, it was too much and he wouldn't be able to sustain his performances, for a long period of time, over a tour, if he kept it. [...] And I know – I myself have always been looking for it. 'Cause I know we did it once. [...] I know we did it, because I remember being on stage! [...] I know, I know somebody has to have it. It has to be out. And Michael always kept copies of everything. He had everything. It's there. So I am sure, if people petitioned, and put feelers out, someone's gonna find it."

That sounded pretty convincing, but I agree with everyone else on this forum: we should have had a confirmation from a German fan at least. It's more plausible that Eddie remembers incorrectly. Could it be that they did a rehearsal with a lot of guests, or something like that? Did Michael ever invite groups of people to watch a rehearsal? That could explain why it felt like a true show to Eddie.

He was really good as was Bill Bottrell and Lavelle Smith Jr. lots of great memories, stories and particularly from Lavelle, gossip. But that has to remain private
Don't wanna derail the thread but just wanted to say, Bill Bottrell is the one I'd want to listen to. More than anyone else Michael worked with, more than Brad Buxer, even.

I'd love it to be true but I fear they're getting confused with a dress rehearsal? We'd have known of it by now if it were true, it's been 30 years. I hope I'm wrong

Back