Michael's current record label situation

Dieter Wiesner never was a record company exec!

And yeah, Live Nation is only an option if he's commited to touring, which he isn't!

Not really,
the live nation contracts are different for each artist, they could also not inglobe tours or shows, but is not a good contract for mj: it obliges the artist to produce an amount of work in a certain time, no care about quality but about selling numbers because the artists in order to get the money has to make a proportional income for the Live Nation, and has to give up all the image rights and stuff.
Not a contract that can fit MJ.

Well, the main interest of Live Nation is the live entertainment aspect, where most of the money lies.... they won't be interested in an artist that only seldomly or never tours!

Well, to release it with Sony yes, but only let them distribute it... meaning, he should produce and finance it himself, without any interfering from Sony and then let them distribute it on a one album deal, so they know that they only will get his next album if this one's a success! So they know that they have to do their job, because otherwise he will be gone!

Hmm, I would think so that he can afford to finance the production himself... at least I hope so! Of course... promotion and distribution would be Sony's job!

Well, I guess the same they did with Thriller 25, but this time with personal input and appearances by Michael and really pushing the singles!

Epic sony or whoever needs to put live cds of mj,they will sell like hotcakes

Last edited:
From what I understand, Epic was/is a label exclusively for African-American performers on Sony, and is also a vanity label. I'd say it would have to be Eipc all the way.

if we were honest, i think nobody knows..

and...we never know what the future holds and how Michael will fare in it, except that he will be successful.

I tend to agree. Only Michael knows what the future holds for his career.

It used to be the branch of CBS records which primarlily housed CBS's black acts.

Michael needs a major to make large scale things happen. He needs a major to fund certain things, I would think, and to get maximum promotion.

I still think the best option is to produce the album himself and then propose it to sony/epic or whatever.

Marvin Gaye was signed to CBS in 1982 but he was signed to COLUMBIA not EPIC. It sounds funny to say that because both Sony labels have a respectable amount of acts of all races signed to the labels.

Last edited:
It was known as a black branch of the lable when the Jackson's signed.
Well, the Philadelphia International Records branch, which released the first 2 Jacksons albums, probably was, but not so much Epic! But either way, it's not a record label exlusive for african american artists! They have a diverse mix of artists!

Well, the Philadelphia International Records branch, which released the first 2 Jacksons albums, probably was, but not so much Epic! But either way, it's not a record label exlusive for african american artists! They have a diverse mix of artists!

Yeah and the Jacksons were signed to Philadelphia International from 1976-78 and that label was very much an R&B-oriented label but not Epic itself.

Here is a little interesting info!

As some may or may not know, Michael Jackson and Omer Bhatti became friends during 96 HIStory tour and has stayed in touch ever since. He's moved on to became a rapper/dancer and has been in the spotlight lately in Norway.

When asked in an interview, what do you think Michaels next album will be like? He said:

"It will be good, He already has alot of material, but it probably will take some time, he is very meticulous. And also he's got no record company to push him anymore"

There's not much we already don't know, but the above statement in bold coming from a reliable source, I find very interesting.

Last edited:
Good for him, he always wanted some freedom, just hope he will release something soon anyway.

"It will be good, He already has alot of material, but it probably will take some time, he is very meticulous. And also he's got no record company to push him anymore"

I will take this comment with a grain of salt.

Anyway, I think MJ is with Sony/BMG. I doubt he doesn't have a record lable but who knows really?

the kind of control MJ wants and what a label wants in return from MJ i believe there is some gappage there. push comes to shove any label that takes him is gonna want a piece on the Publishing and they want him out on tour breaking in a new set of acts.

Back