Michael's music(pop) against rock music. and kids

It's like the earlier 1970s prog rock Genesis fans trashes the later 80s pop version, and the "Invisible Touch" fans doesn't understand the Peter Gabriel era. A lot of Diamond Dave fans didn't like "Van Hagar", who was considered bland and "sellouts". Defenders of Sammy always say that he's a better singer than David Lee Roth. In the old days rock music in general sold more than other genres. How many R&B, country, jazz, etc albums are contained on the best selling albums lists? Very few, if any. So since the majority rules, rock was considered "valid" music, and everything else isn't. Most of the serious music magazines were run by these types (white males usually), so that's why all the press for the Led Zepplin, R.E.M., or Black Sabbath sort of acts. "Pop" acts were usually in the "Tiger Beat" type magazines and weren't taken seriously. Michael tended to be in these, so by default not "valid" to the powers that be. Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, or Jimi Hendrix have never been in 'Tiger Beat' or 'Right On!'. They weren't marketed to teen girls, so are considered "real" music to white males who run the media/mainstream. It's kind of a racism behind it. Eric Clapton, Elvis Presley, & Stevie Ray Vaughn are given a lot of praise and sell way more than the little known blues acts they copied.

i hate pop music i generally listen more to rock, real hip hop and i dont like the whole manufactured and commercialized aspect of pop music however Michael transcends this! his raw talent, singing, creativity and ways to innovate music is what clearly puts him in a category of his own!!

Here we go again.

Now one of my same friends is saying that he went to and MJ concert in France back in 1988. And he and his girlfriend left becuase there were too many kids.

Hes such an idiot.

Here we go again.

Now one of my same friends is saying that he went to and MJ concert in France back in 1988. And he and his girlfriend left becuase there were too many kids.

Hes such an idiot.

What a lucky bastard! :lol:

Damn, he should have just gave me his tickets but sadly I wasn't even born yet.... :(

Gosh, I HATE HIM SO MUCH..... :p

Does he even know the lengths us fans will go just to frickin' witness a Bad tour concert in high definiton Blu-ray DVD.... but he had the chance to watch the real thing in reality and he LEFT! :shock: (shakes head) What the hell, man?

Your friends are probably a fan of rock. He's (MJ) not as good to them because they've never felt compelled to actually listen to a good portion of his work.

It's the same reason why I would say Dylan and Tom Petty are not as good Jackson. I don't have anything to base it off, I'm just not a fan of that music, so my point is nullified.

This is just a guess, of course.

*If they were trying to prove the point that MJ only appealed to kids, then that right there shows how uneducated they are. Because when I watched 30th Anniversary (and any MJ concert), I saw people of all ages in the crowd. Now if he had said he makes grown folks ACT like children, then maybe he'd have a point. And MJ isn't really a "pop" artist. He's an R&B/Soul artist who crossed over into other genres like rock, funk, etc. Pop was a label given to him when too many people started buying his sh*t to put him into a boxed-in category.

People who only listen to one genre are narrow-minded and snob IMO. I like and listen to many, many genres. The wonderful thing about Michael was that he had everything on his albums from soul to rock. That's why as a child I have never found it boring to listen to his albums from start to finish, while I often found albums of of other artists boring, even if I liked a couple of songs from that album. But to listen to them at once, one after another sounded boring, because it all had the same sound and style.
Since then I have learnt to appreciate artists who play only one genre, because they can be very very good in their own genre. But Michael had so many sides and I think it's because of him that I like and understand so many genres of music.

Here we go again.

Hes such an idiot.

I don't think you have to convince him. You cannot argue about taste IMO. And Michael is appreciated enough without the appreciation of your friend. He was pretty much admired by many rock stars as well. On YoutTube I have seen Metallica play "Billie Jean" at one of their concerts after Michael's death.

And BTW, putting Elvis above MJ is an insult and total ignorance IMO. Elvis never even wrote a song, he just sang what was given to him. MJ was over that period by the age of 18 and from then on he wrote most of his songs.

Last edited:
And one more note: that Michael's music appeals to children (but not only) is rather a plus in my eyes than a minus. I mean, children are not yet influenced by things like elitism or snobism. They like what they like and that's it.

I guess Michael would be proud of this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGuiE-NcAno

Back