Michael’s signature dance moves

tumblr_m5hni5lTRz1rxbjdro1_250.gif

@filmandmusic had this to say yesterday:

MJ invented his own dancing style. Unique in movement, fashion and singing.

f&m's larger point was to do with BJ and Thriller in particular but I think it stands as a general point, also. Is this why Michael had SO many signature dance moves? Bc he invented his own dance style? I probably sound really gonzo but this honestly had not occurred to me before even though my interest in Michael always centred first and foremost around his dancing.
Oh my god! That move! The placement of hands, the leg and one very precise hip movement! 🔥 🔥
Yes, he invented his own dance style by mixing various different styles. He had rhythm in his body, he could hear music and just move with it.

Ankle Breaker Evolution video

1983 - 2009 / 11m 8s

Just been reminded on another thread of the ankle breaker dance move. So here's a compilation. My fave bit of this particular video is the TII / BJ clip at the end.

Last edited:
difjdsi-1.gif

I think this qualifies as an 'ankle breaker' move even though it is slightly different from the *actual* ankle breaker thing. At the very least. it's closely related, imo. :D

I am mesmerised by how he's using his right foot. Tracing the movement of it as he moves it across in front of his other leg. Gets me every time. This whole move, imo, is very Jackie Wilson - more JW than JB - but with Michael's own special genius added in.

Last edited:

Evolution of the Ankle Breaker - The Iconic Moves of MJ

1980 - 2009 / 2m 35s

To finish up, another 'ankle breaker' compilation. Shorter but it starts earlier than the other one.

Last edited:
The "Smooth Criminal" pose in Dangerous was always one of my favorites. He shakes it up quite a lot, sometimes it saves energy, sometimes it expresses more.

I personally refer to the ‘ankle breakers’ as ‘swivel knees’. I’m glad that it’s been acknowledged that they began during ‘don’t stop til you get enough’.

I read a review that likened the skipping during ‘heartbreak hotel’ to a rain dance.

labelling michael’s dances are a creative way to give them character. everybody has their own. I love it 💜

this has gone viral again, so I thought it would be the perfect opportunity to share.
Michael practising his circle glides for the ‘victory’ tour.

for me, the glides in general were the best things about the tour. they were magical ✨interestingly, he would only use the ‘swimming’ motion with his arms in the Kansas city concert.

How is this the best remix when 2008 is right there?
Oh, I didn't bother to listen to the audio, just watched Michael dancing. Don't like remixes anyway so not bothered. Plus, I don't like PYT. That's why I put my little caption in, to make it clear. :)

Oh, I didn't bother to listen to the audio, just watched Michael dancing. Don't like remixes anyway so not bothered. Plus, I don't like PYT. That's why I put my little caption in, to make it clear. :)
It's not even a remix, it's a sample of PYT. Really a mashup of the instrumental and Haven't you heard by Patrice Rushen. And a choir.

You don't like either version of PYT?

It's not even a remix, it's a sample of PYT. Really a mashup of the instrumental and Haven't you heard by Patrice Rushen. And a choir.

You don't like either version of PYT?
Don't know what to tell you, lol. Like I said, I didn't listen to the audio at all. Wasn't bothered about that. Just wanted it for the dancing.

Not keen on PYT. Used to really get on my nerves. I did listen a couple of times last year but, generally, no, don't wanna listen to that one. There's so much else that I love.

Don't know what to tell you, lol. Like I said, I didn't listen to the audio at all. Wasn't bothered about that. Just wanted it for the dancing.

Not keen on PYT. Used to really get on my nerves. I did listen a couple of times last year but, generally, no, don't wanna listen to that one. There's so much else that I love.
Well, I love the song. But I do prefer the demo by MJ. It was a markedly different song before James Ingram and Quincy. Though I'm sure you know that already.

It isn't really a signature dance move but it is iconic. :)

FpQlpUwX0AU60Jl
wow!! It is a signature pose! and you can clearly see the difference between Michael's lines and perfection of that pose vs the other person. Michael's everything is perfectly aligned.

Back