MJ and Queen world premiere!!!!!!!!!!!

Just saw a comment on the Queen Online Forum that someone has received a copy of the sampler CD from a friend at a record store and the mix on the CD is the same as the one we have all heard, so basically you cant't hear Freddie at the end of the song.

If this doesn't get fixed in time then William Orbit will be forever know to me as the only moron alive who could ruin something to do with both Michael and Freddie.

It's a shame they ruined this release. It could have had potential if it was well done, especially with Christmas coming soon.

I guess the Estate was right after all to hold on to State of Shock and Victory. Let's hope they will give those songs a better treatment.

I dont understand with this being a Queen release how Brian and Roger would allow something of this standard to be added when they are less than impressed by it. I know they have both stated that they have released songs in the past that they didnt like, but as a band sometimes you may not like a song that someone else brings to the table. In this case, they have let an outsider take their work, and the work of a deceased friend and completely returned an underwhelming product. Im baffled.

Just saw a comment on the Queen Online Forum that someone has received a copy of the sampler CD from a friend at a record store and the mix on the CD is the same as the one we have all heard, so basically you cant't hear Freddie at the end of the song.

If this doesn't get fixed in time then William Orbit will be forever know to me as the only moron alive who could ruin something to do with both Michael and Freddie.

Relax. We don't know if that is true. Let's wait, then judge.

They didn't ruin anything yet. Because it is not released yet. It will be released almost a month from now!

If the information innuendo141 shared is true then it looks like the song sent out to record stores as sampler CD still sounds the same as what was presented on the radio.

Actually I believe innuendo141 is correct.

Jesta - who happens to be a MJ and a Queen fan (and attends a lot of Queen events and quite close with Brian May)- attended a lecture about one of Brian May's photography books at October 9. He told me that he asked Brian May if the mix would be changed on the album and Brian May told him no and it was too late to do anything about it.

I don't get it though. It's extremely weird. When Orbit was attacked over the mix on his FB he claimed it was just some kind of mistake. Apparently it wasn't then. It's also weird how Queen do not have a say in what is released under their name. I mean if they do not like it they should be able to do something about it... Just weird.

I'll wait and see/hear. I pre-ordered mine so I'll be the judge when my copy arrives.

I'll wait and see/hear. I pre-ordered mine so I'll be the judge when my copy arrives.

Im trying to cling to your optimism Onir, I really am. I've been so looking forward to an official release for years and years so hopefully at the end of the day MJ and Queen fans will be happy with the final product on the album.

There Can Be Only One.

If the mix/song is released just as we heard it, I won't support it because it sounds horrendous. It was their change to give a regal and dignifying treatment to two of the most iconic and legendary performers that ever lived and Orbit blew it big time. Then I'll cling on with fan made duet.

Last edited:
If the mix/song is released just as we heard it, I won't support it because it sounds horrendous. It was their change to give a regal and dignifying treatment to two of the most iconic and legendary performers that ever lived and Orbit blew it big time. Then I'll cling on with fan made duet.

Hopefully, HOPEFULLY, William Orbit wasn't bullsh*tting when he said it was a technical issue and it will be sorted. We don't have long left to wait but to be honest, you rarely hear of artists releasing a song to a radio and then immediately coming out with "Oh no! something went wrong, that's why it sounds bad!"

There's a bit of blame to be shifted on Brian and Roger (it is a Queen release, after all) but from what I can gather, Orbit has the final say on this track and should be mortally embarrassed at the reaction his work on this song has immediately received. This guy is supposed to be a world class producer and somehow released a song containing the two biggest greatest, most popular, entertaining showmen of all time containing a technical error?

Over to you Orbit, let's see if you can really fix this mess.

Last edited:
UPDATE

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/roger-taylor-queen-interview-2014/?trackback=twitter_top

Well that interview pretty much states that Queen had to go along with whatever the estate wanted, which is why we won't hear the Queen mix.

To say I'm disappointed in all involved is an understatement. Brian and Roger had worked with Freddie and know how his songs should have sounded .ie There Must Be More To Life, as this was an outtake from one of their albums before it made Mr. Bad Guy.

Very disappointed MJ's estate feels that William Orbit was needed when he has clearly done a remarkably underwhelming job.

And, the mix has not been changed as can be heard on the iTunes samples. You still can not hear Freddie in the last verse.

Such as shame, and a massively blown opportunity to show that legends never die. Instead, this is overshadowed by corporate bullsh*t on both sides.

Long live The King and Queen

^ And how did you conclude that from this interview?

Very disappointed MJ's estate feels that William Orbit was needed when he has clearly done a remarkably underwhelming job.

This is what Taylor says:

There is a new Queen compilation coming out on November 10th called ‘Queen Forever.’ There are some interesting things on this set, including several unreleased tracks. Can you tell us a little bit about the process of getting those tracks ready for release?

Well, in a nutshell, Brian and I worked on the three tracks to get them ready. The track featuring Michael Jackson ['There Must Be More To Life Than This'], which is an old Freddie song that he recorded with Michael, we had our version — which was a very stripped down version with alternating lines. Then we got our friend William Orbit to do, I guess, a more radio-friendly mix. He has some alternating verses, so it’s very different. They’re two very different versions. The version you’re going to hear on the album is William’s version. Another track, ‘Love Kills,’ was an old dance record, really, with Giorgio Moroder, which Freddie did as a solo [track]. But we all actually played on it at the time without telling anyone. That one, Brian had the idea of doing that one half-time and just completely replacing the instrumentation and really bringing a new sort of gravitas to the song, I think vastly improving it. It’s a beautiful vocal performance from Freddie.

The third track is an old Queen track ['Let Me In Your Heart Again'] which we never really quite finished when we were recording ‘The Works’ in L.A. Brian and I just did a little more work on it, [added] a little bit of backing vocals and that track comes out great and you can hear the old Queen rhythm section in full swing on it and it sounds good to me!

The next question and answer is simply about which song the MJ Estate allowed to release out of the three, as I understand it:

I know that there was some other stuff that Freddie worked on with Michael. Did you guys look at those tracks too?

We did, yeah. But we had to really go along with what Michael’s record company and his estate would release. So, we had talks with them and that’s what they would agree to.

It simply means they only allowed to release TMBMTLTT.

I don't know if this gets twisted into something it is not on Queen forums, but I cannot see how anyone can conclude what you concluded from this interview when Taylor says it was them, Queen, who gave the track to their old friend, William Orbit. There's nothing about the MJ Estate or his record company forcing them to do so or to release that version. And then there is a next question which is simply about which song was allowed to be released by the Estate and MJ's record company.

I hope we get to hear Queen's version sometime as I'm no fan of Orbit's take on it. More stripped down sounds great, should suit the song just nicely.

I don't know if this gets twisted into something it is not on Queen forums, but I cannot see how anyone can conclude what you concluded from this interview when Taylor says it was them, Queen, who gave the track to their old friend, William Orbit. There's nothing about the MJ Estate or his record company forcing them to do so or to release that version. And then there is a next question which is simply about which song was allowed to be released by the Estate and MJ's record company.

From previous comments by Brian and Roger they had both expressed dissatisfaction with Orbits outcome, which leads me to think why on earth they would release something they are not entirely happy with as Queen due to someone else, unless there is another party involved.

Maybe my post was a little harsh on some points but it just comes down to my disappointment really. I don't see why Queen would turn to Orbit off their own back when they could have easily produced their own (which they have) and it seems like they could only release the Orbit version.

Also, it makes complete sense that TMBMTLTT was the only song they could release as this was Freddie's. In an ideal world we would get to hear all 3 but I would happily settle with a decent mix of TMBMTLTT for starters.

UPDATE

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/roger-taylor-queen-interview-2014/?trackback=twitter_top

Well that interview pretty much states that Queen had to go along with whatever the estate wanted, which is why we won't hear the Queen mix.

To say I'm disappointed in all involved is an understatement. Brian and Roger had worked with Freddie and know how his songs should have sounded .ie There Must Be More To Life, as this was an outtake from one of their albums before it made Mr. Bad Guy.

And, the mix has not been changed as can be heard on the iTunes samples. You still can not hear Freddie in the last verse.

Such as shame, and a massively blown opportunity to show that legends never die. Instead, this is overshadowed by corporate bullsh*t on both sides.

Long live The King and Queen

??? Where did you read in that interview that the Estate wanted Orbit mix???

"Then we got our friend William Orbit to do, I guess, a more radio-friendly mix."

we got our friend!!! - WE

All they've said about the Estate is that they didn't allowed State Of Shock and Victory to be released. And we knew that already. It was probably their record company that wanted more radio-friendly mix.

^ And how did you conclude that from this interview?

This is what Taylor says:

The next question and answer is simply about which song the MJ Estate allowed to release out of the three, as I understand it:

It simply means they only allowed to release TMBMTLTT.

EXACTLY! Well said.

From previous comments by Brian and Roger they had both expressed dissatisfaction with Orbits outcome, which leads me to think why on earth they would release something they are not entirely happy with as Queen due to someone else, unless there is another party involved.

Not true. At all! They didn't express dissatisfaction with Orbits outcome. At all. They just weren't satisfied with loudness of the vocals. That's it.

Not true. At all! They didn't express dissatisfaction with Orbits outcome. At all. They just weren't satisfied with loudness of the vocals. That's it.

This was my understanding. I take back my points then. I'll just put it down to my bitter disappointment of the crumbiness of the outcome.

The Queen version could also have sounded terrible BTW I might add just for fear I'm just getting on the MJ Estate's case. This whole mess is down to Brian and Roger. Its their album/release.

In my opinion Queen version should have been an album track and William Orbit mix should have been single version because it is apparently more radio-friendly. Win-win situation. Everybody's happy: Queen, William Orbit, Queen's record company, Queen's fans & Michael Jackson's fans.

In my opinion Queen version should have been an album track and William Orbit mix should have been single version because it is apparently more radio-friendly. Win-win situation. Everybody's happy: Queen, William Orbit, Queen's record company, Queen's fans & Michael Jackson's fans.

Exactly. There is every chance we could hear the Queen mix but no mention yet. This isnt a case where "not everybody is going to be happy". Like you said, its that simple. Everybody SHOULD be happy!!! Its Michael and Freddie for cryin out loud. I dont hate Orbits version myself, it just needs fine tuning.

This was my understanding. I take back my points then. I'll just put it down to my bitter disappointment of the crumbiness of the outcome.

The Queen version could also have sounded terrible BTW I might add just for fear I'm just getting on the MJ Estate's case. This whole mess is down to Brian and Roger. Its their album/release.

Maybe it was MJ's Estate who approved only William Orbit's mix to be released (although I doubt it). And I'm sure that Queen members wanted William to do that mix (maybe for a single release or as a remix or something). To me it sounds that then their record company decided which version to use (like Sony decided on Teddy Riley's version of Hollywood instead of Neff-U's).

But the point is that nowhere in that article says that it was MJ's Estate and it is stupid just to accuse them without any proof. We all know that they've made some shitty decisions and moves in the past, but we shouldn't just jump at them when anything goes not how we wanted.

Why don't people get the Estate has nothing to do with this project except approving its release?

Why don't people get the Estate has nothing to do with this project except approving its release?

Yeah, I think that they just allowed the song to be released. Not which version or how it will be mixed or remixed.

Maybe my post was a little harsh on some points but it just comes down to my disappointment really. I don't see why Queen would turn to Orbit off their own back when they could have easily produced their own (which they have) and it seems like they could only release the Orbit version.

Also, it makes complete sense that TMBMTLTT was the only song they could release as this was Freddie's. In an ideal world we would get to hear all 3 but I would happily settle with a decent mix of TMBMTLTT for starters.

It's just that in certain comment sections I have already seen Queen fans trying to go into that direction and blame it on the MJ Estate and come up with some conspiracy theory about "MJ's Estate wanting to make MJ sound better than Freddie". There is no evidence for that. Orbit is Queen's old friend, so it's more likely that his hiring has to do with Queen than with the MJ Estate. There were already news about Orbit working on the tracks last July. Then in September Roger Taylor complained about the MJ Estate being slow in giving their blessings (it was actually more rude than that, his words were something about the MJ Estate having to move their asses at last). So Orbit started to work on the songs sooner than the Estate gave the go-ahead and it seems the Estate actually needed a lot of pressuring from Queen to give the go-ahead.

I already wrote that Brian May told Jesta that it was too late to fix the issues with the song. I don't know if this product requires some sort of a special packaging or collectors item but like I said Brian May said they didn't have the time or chance to fix it. So why not believe what he says and think that they couldn't fix it even though they might have wanted to fix it.

Last edited:
William Orbit @WilliamOrbit · 4 h ago

I should stop now. Got stuff to do, but it is rather fun. I've got another TMBMTLTT mix up my sleeve . . .

Back