MJ and Queen world premiere!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't hear any country in it. For me it's classic rock tune.

Lol. There is NO country whatsoever in it. I quite like it.

Listening to this and Love Never Felt So Good, it's so obvious that MJ's vocals are demo vocals. For example on State Of Shock from the same year he sounds much more "mature". On these 2 demos he sounds too youthful, especially in comparison to Freddie Mercury. This song would be perfect if MJ recorded proper studio vocals or even better if it was recorded in the late '80 when MJ's voice matured and became more "grittier". In this song thier vocals are not compatible for a duet in my opinion. Still great, 2 greatest vocalist of all time in 1 song (just 2 bad that MJ's vocals are just demo vocals).

Of course it is. The first guitar and violins sound very country-like. I want to hear the real duet so bad, in this new mix Orbit or whoever else mixed it didn't any justice to Michael's vocal in the demo snippet those sound more powerful.

Honestly, Xscape is probably going to ruin things like this for me. That album was re-done so perfectly, and this, this just sounds poor to me. Unfortunate but I hope people enjoy it and it has some success for Michael's sake.

Listening to this and Love Never Felt So Good, it's so obvious that MJ's vocals are demo vocals. For example on State Of Shock from the same year he sounds much more "mature". On these 2 demos he sounds too youthful, especially in comparison to Freddie Mercury. This song would be perfect if MJ recorded proper studio vocals or even better if it was recorded in the late '80 when MJ's voice matured and became more "grittier". In this song thier vocals are not compatible for a duet in my opinion. Still great, 2 greatest vocalist of all time in 1 song (just 2 bad that MJ's vocals are just demo vocals).

You make a good point about the vocals actually. Would have loved a more mature and gritty MJ vocal, but for what they had to work with, it's quite good. The drums near the end are very Beatlesque.

Honestly, Xscape is probably going to ruin things like this for me. That album was re-done so perfectly, and this, this just sounds poor to me. Unfortunate but I hope people enjoy it and it has some success for Michael's sake.

1. It's a Queen song featuring Michael Jackson. It is still possible that the song will appear on future Michael Jackson album, maybe as a solo version, in different arrangement.
2. It's just a radio rip, not actual CD quality.
3. Maybe Roger & Brian turn up the vocals for single or CD release, they admitted the vocals are little low.

You make a good point about the vocals actually. Would have loved a more mature and gritty MJ vocal, but for what they had to work with, it's quite good. The drums near the end are very Beatlesque.

Hey aazzaabb how you been?

- definitely agree with the Ringo drums! Iam the eggmaaaan! All in all i love the new version. its different but still not a million miles from the version on Mr. Bad Guy.

I always loved MJ's vocals on the demo, and I do here too. The song is so innocent and I think his voice compliments Freddie's no end. And vice versa

Lol. There is NO country whatsoever in it. I quite like it.

I agree. I like the song as well. I never heard any of the demo vocals, and I'll see if I can find them after work. Are they on YouTube?

Anyhow- the intro (just before Freddie Starts signing) reminds me a lot of Pachelbel's Canon- which happens to be one of my favorite music pieces of all time.

And I hate to bring it up, but I am wondering if it is just me- does Michael's voice sound AutoTuned to anyone? For the most part it sounds okay, but on this line- then we can all just live in peace- his vocals sound like they've been altered. It sounds almost robotic.

Loved it! I don't hear any country, sounds like a rock ballad to me. I love the guitars too! And of course the vocals are amazing, gave me goosebumps! I hope we also get to hear the shared vocals duet too at some point!

And I hate to bring it up, but I am wondering if it is just me- does Michael's voice sound AutoTuned to anyone? For the most part it sounds okay, but on this line- then we can all just live in peace- his vocals sound like they've been altered. It sounds almost robotic.

Not to me, I think it's the same vocal take from the demo.

Yeah, hopefully we will hear the untouched duet that was featured in Freddie's documentary.

Actually in Michael's first verse "There Must Be More To Life Than This" "This" is different than in the demo. It sounds like he's not saying "This" at all. It sounds to me like "killing" or "king". I know it doesn't make any sense but that's what I'm hearing. And it's definitely different than in the demo.

Edit: I found it! It's on 0:33 in the demo, not at 1:18.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_e8t5B2H1c

MJ-QUEEN.jpg

William Orbit retweetet
Michael Jackson ♕ @MJJLegion · 3 h.

“Hearing Michael Jackson's vocals was stirring. So vivid, so cool, & poignant, it was like he was in the studio singing live”- @WilliamOrbit

Chris Evans - "Roger, are you happy?"

Roger - "I was listening for the balance between Freddie's vocal and Michael's vocal and I'd have them a bit louder."

Chris Evans - "What, either one or them both together?"

Roger - "Them both."

Chris Evans - "What about you Brian?"

Brian - "Yeah, similar things that bother me, first time I heard them outside the studio really."

I don't really understand how they do not have a say in it if they are unsatisfied with it?

I thought that while listening to it as well.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/michael-jackson-freddie-mercury-duet-20140919

Hear Michael Jackson and Freddie Mercury's Long-Lost Duet
"There Must Be More to Life Than This" is one of three unreleased tracks on upcoming compilation 'Queen Forever'

By Andy Greene | September 19, 2014

Thirty-three years after they first began work on the track, Queen will finally release "There Must Be More to Life Than This" - featuring vocals by Freddie Mercury and Michael Jackson - on their upcoming compilation album Queen Forever, which hits shelves on November 10th. The song was written during the Hot Space sessions, but they never finished it and Mercury eventually released his own version on his 1985 solo debut Mr. Bad Guy.

Related Freddie Mercury Queen
Queen's Tragic Rhapsody

Producer William Orbit, best known for his work on Madonna’s Ray of Light, was brought in to finish "There Must Be More to Life Than This." "When I first played it in my studio, I opened a trove of delights provided by the greatest of musicians," he said in a statement. "Hearing Michael Jackson's vocals was stirring. So vivid, so cool, and poignant, it was like he was in the studio singing live. With Freddie's vocal solo on the mixing desk, my appreciation for his gift was taken to an even higher level." In contrast ​to Mercury's solo, stripped-back version, the new Orbit-produced version adds strings, guitars and a lot more bombast.

Queen Forever will also feature a new version of "Love Kills," which Mercury recorded with producer Giorgio Moroder for a restored version of Fritz Lang’s Metropolis in 1984. "They took out all the disco production and turned it into more of a traditional Queen arrangement," says Adam Lambert, who played the tune with Queen on their summer tour."It's an amazing song, very dramatic and powerful with a beautiful melody."

Also appearing on Queen Forever is "Let Me in Your Heart Again," a Brian May-penned tune that dates back to the sessions for 1984’s The Works. Mercury put down a vocal track, but the song was never finished. May and Roger Taylor recently went back into the studio to record new guitar parts and backing vocals.

The LP will be available as a 20-track single CD and an 36-track two-CD set. Skipping obvious hits like "We Will Rock You" and "Bohemian Rhapsody," the collection focuses on lesser-known tunes like "Mother Love," "The Miracle" and "Drowse."

Queen and Adam Lambert wrapped up their 2014 world tour with a show in Auckland, New Zealand on September 4th, but future shows remain a possibility. "I’m definitely down," Lambert told Rolling Stone in June. "I’m having so much fun."

Here’s the complete track listing for both editions of Queen Forever.

Read more: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/michael-jackson-freddie-mercury-duet-20140919#ixzz3DmOk8zgx
Follow us: @rollingstone on Twitter | RollingStone on Facebook

Chris Evans - "Roger, are you happy?"

Roger - "I was listening for the balance between Freddie's vocal and Michael's vocal and I'd have them a bit louder."

Chris Evans - "What, either one or them both together?"

Roger - "Them both."

Chris Evans - "What about you Brian?"

Brian - "Yeah, similar things that bother me, first time I heard them outside the studio really."

I don't really understand how they do not have a say in it if they are unsatisfied with it?

I hope they'll fix this on cd version

I hope there is an extended version. The end part is to soon, near the end I hear a buildup of more singing, but the song just ends. Anyone else notice it? It sounds like the bridge in Hey Jude, it could be easily mixed by an amateur with that song, hope it does. Sounds very similar.

what time to skip to on the "listen again"?
I wish the first poster would add important info like this to save wasting time.

Hello I've missed this thread yesterday.. I have and have had the demo of There Must Be More To Life Than This on my hard drive for years now.
Yet can someone please upload the new version to vimeo.com so people in the United States and Canada can have a picture montage of the audio?
I've heard it on several sites in stream.

Here's my demo montage that I made in 2009 I made it for a MJJC Legacy Team Project essay HERE:
http://www.mjjcommunity.com/forum/threads/82083-Standing-Together-For-Michael

Last edited:
That Innuendo cover is my least Queen album cover ever, they look siameses, no matter Michael was added. I really, really hope it's not the final mix either.

Back