MJ being contradictory?

Snek;4289173 said:
Like people in the thread have already said, one of the main factors is probably that the record companies wanted him to tour to promote his album. In the man’s own words, he didn’t like to do it because of how it affects his health.

During Dangerous Tour 1993 he became so addicted to painkillers that he had to cancel the final dates of the tour and go into rehab. I’ve read that during the HIStory tour was when he first started taking propofol to sleep. Touring was not good for him even though he was so good at performing.

I know the backing vocalists mimed, but I was under the impression that Batten and Sugarfoot were performing live at least 99% of the time? I don’t think the audience felt cheated because they still saw the greatest entertainer in the world do what he does best. The vocals may be mimed 95% of the time but the band is live and the dancing can not be faked.

Sugarfoot: I am 99% certain that Scream, TDCAU, SIM(Except the hi hats) YANA are all mimed. 50/50 on if he plays on Blood On The Dance Floor. His snare and overall drum sounds are different sounding on certain songs. More than happy to be corrected on that one :)

Batten: She 100% mimes on Scream, TDCAU and not sure she plays on Keep It In Closet. Doubt she'd need to. I thought the Beat It solo on that tour was mimed but, really listened to it again there and I stand corrected. She's just that damn good

In my opinion i think Michael was a great actor. i wish he acted more. he always want it to do movies and other things to do with movies. near the end of his life he want it too. but due to a music career, tours, and other stuff he didn't have enough time to do so.

his children are now taken the role to make movies and act just like Michael want. i wish them the best of luck. :)

ScreenOrigami;4289132 said:
I think the ha ha lol comment about MJ’s movie career that never happened was a bit insensitive

I agree. we all different and have different taste. what might be great to someone else may not be great to someone else. that's perfectly fine. through i don't think someone should be cruel about it. cut some people some slack.

JichaelMackson;4289125 said:
I wouldn't mind MJ turning into an actor provided he did musical films so I can at least still hear what he does best.

He actually want it to do more musicals. the wiz and moonwalker was musicals. you mean broadways? he loved broadways. that's why the estate making the MJ musical because he loved thoses.

ScreenOrigami;4289126 said:
Newsflash: You don’t get to decide other people’s choices. :)

True. you can give people ideas,opinions,and advices. but you can't make them choose what they want.

I love the moonwalker. my mom love the wiz. me and her like the bad and thriller short films.

i'm think about reviewing those movies in the future. the wiz didn't get much promote due to the fact it was a black version of the wizard of oz. which wasn't no fair. the wiz was actually a musical before it was a movie.

This been talked about before many times. to be real with you Michael never like it touring. he mostly tour for his fans. Michael was big. if he didn't wanna tour he didn't have to. like others said, this was a different time so he had to tour sometimes for promoting his albums.

BAD was suppose be his last tour. but he was kind enough to keep touring for his fans. like others said, touring can be tiring. it's took a lot to tour those days and the fact he was Michael Jackson.

dancing and singing every night non stop is tiring. Michael was human and need it time off sometimes. he did everything to make us happy and we should be thankful he did those tours because sometimes Michael was sick as a dog and still got on stage to entrain us when he could of just rested until he was better. which he should have.

age play apart too. also the fake lies did a number on him too.

Sometimes i wish Michael did different songs then the same songs over and over again. love you mike but i wish you did different stuff and songs sometimes.

Snek;4289173 said:
Like people in the thread have already said, one of the main factors is probably that the record companies wanted him to tour to promote his album. In the man’s own words, he didn’t like to do it because of how it affects his health.

Actually, that also happened with the BAD Tour.

Michael Jackson did not even want to tour for the ‘BAD’ album.

But when it was becoming clear to him and to his inner circle/record executives that the ‘BAD’ album could not surpass the sales of the previous ‘Thriller’ album, they started making plans for a possible BAD Tour as the only way to drastically increase the sales of the ‘BAD’ album.

Walter Yetnikoff (the then-president of CBS Records) officially announced to him the sad news: that he had to tour in order to effectively promote the ‘BAD’ album and thus to surpass the sales of the ‘Thriller’ album.

Michael Jackson had no other option, and he reluctantly agreed to begin the BAD Tour.

mj_frenzy;4289200 said:
Actually, that also happened with the BAD Tour.

Michael Jackson did not even want to tour for the ‘BAD’ album.

But when it was becoming clear to him and to his inner circle/record executives that the ‘BAD’ album could not surpass the sales of the previous ‘Thriller’ album, they started making plans for a possible BAD Tour as the only way to drastically increase the sales of the ‘BAD’ album.

Walter Yetnikoff (the then-president of CBS Records) officially announced to him the sad news: that he had to tour in order to effectively promote the ‘BAD’ album and thus to surpass the sales of the ‘Thriller’ album.

Michael Jackson had no other option, and he reluctantly agreed to begin the BAD Tour.

Wrong. Michael want it to go solo and do the bad tour. he just didn't want do any tours after that.

Wrong. Michael want it to go solo and do the bad tour. he just didn't want do any tours after that.

Yep.

It is without question the one tour he wanted to do. If you check out the performance in Yokohama of WBSS, the way he delivers the "I know I am someone" line, it's almost like he had a point to prove on that tour. His first tour without his family shadowing him and making things difficult for him, he was free and independent.

Can see in his performances on that tour he wanted it and he mean't it.

NatureCriminal7896;4289188 said:
I love the moonwalker. my mom love the wiz. me and her like the bad and thriller short films.

i'm think about reviewing those movies in the future. the wiz didn't get much promote due to the fact it was a black version of the wizard of oz. which wasn't no fair. the wiz was actually a musical before it was a movie.

My impression is, that mainly critics in the white media had a problem with The Wiz. If you look at old articles in black media, like JET or Ebony, it’s a whole different picture there. Here’s an article that I recently found:

r6IhCp6.jpg

rgWk1El.jpg

Michael was also recognized as an actor in the black community:

7Vc4roH.jpg

I’m seeing this pattern throughout his career, and I understand why he rather talked to Ebony & Jet than the white media. You can find some old issues on Google Books. I guess, that’s also a reason why he chose to speak out on Oprah’s show in 1993.

But if you love being on stage , then why do you say publicly right at your peak that you will stop touring? I still find it contradictory.
I initially thought perhaps he meant to do one of concerts or smaller venues , no more world tours but since he never did those type of concerts either he clearly wanted to end every type of concert after 1989.

Well no. Michael DID tour twice after Bad therefore we cannot say if if he would have done the one off concerts or smaller venues. Because he didn't do both is no indication that he wouldn't have done either.

I always thought the Dangerous Tour was a way to raise money for the Heal the World foundation. And then Michael's massive career derailment in 1993 and 1994 compelled him to shore up a new album with greatest hits and a world tour to ensure it's success and further promote the album and his ability to get his career back on track.

But then, artists often say it's a farewell tour or they wont play again, and then they do. Just a bit of PR.

Who can say?

Some artists say it's gonna be their last tour and then tour again. some artists do it because they love touring. it's their thing. while some do it for money. prince toured before he died. so? some artists just tour just to tour because they like to.

Michael was shy and a homebody. when Michael got off stage he was a totally different person.

Well no. Michael DID tour twice after Bad therefore we cannot say if if he would have done the one off concerts or smaller venues. Because he didn't do both is no indication that he wouldn't have done either.

I always thought the Dangerous Tour was a way to raise money for the Heal the World foundation. And then Michael's massive career derailment in 1993 and 1994 compelled him to shore up a new album with greatest hits and a world tour to ensure it's success and further promote the album and his ability to get his career back on track.

But then, artists often say it's a farewell tour or they wont play again, and then they do. Just a bit of PR.

Who can say?

This makes me think about Live Aid, if he had been part of that we could have gotten a live state of shock duet with Jagger, now he sang it with Tina Turner.

This makes me think about Live Aid, if he had been part of that we could have gotten a live state of shock duet with Jagger, now he sang it with Tina Turner.

That would of been interesting. Michael was busy with Captain EO. that's why he wasn't apart of it.

NatureCriminal7896;4289188 said:

ScreenOrigami;4289153 said:
Maybe I’m reading too much into it or I’m overthinking it because I’ve watched it so often recently, but for me, Moonwalker isn’t really that random. We see MJ going wild with all the things he can do on a movie set, and the whole thing is bookended by his concert performances. So basically he’s breaking out of his daily routine on stage to experiment with the possibilities of film. From claymation over film noir to tranformers – exploring all the possibilities of the dream factory. So, random and not random at the same time. To me, it makes a lot of sense, actually, in the context of where MJ was at, at the time.

Good, good. :clap: And oh yes, some genre experiment way before Tarantino, haha. OK, I'm exaggerating a bit of course, but I really do think that Moonwalker not being your average kind of film is something to be appreciated. And the usual criticism towards The Wiz (being slow and sort of depressing) is what makes it stand out IMHO.

BTW I was in my film noir/French gangster movie phase when Smooth Criminal came out, so I was completely :woohoo: about it.

JM, sorry for derailing your thread a bit, but this film subject is just irresistible. :flowers:

Back on topic: like Piek explained it performing on stage is one thing (and a rewarding one) while traveling is another. Constant rush, jet-legs, staying in different hotels (for someone with sleeping problems it's a nightmare), etc and not much redeeming factor.

He could still perform on stage but not tour the world. He could of done residencies, one night only shows like what was mean't to happen in 1995 and performances on award shows etc.

ozemouze;4289291 said:
JM, sorry for derailing your thread a bit, but this film subject is just irresistible. :flowers:

Do we have a good thread to discuss MJ’s film work as a whole (not in separate threads)? I’m currently very interested in exploring them more, themes, symbols, parallels, context etc. :)

JichaelMackson;4289295 said:
That's fine, I think everything that can be said about it is already said, keep derailing if you like :p

Careful. We might take you up on that, hahaha. :D

ScreenOrigami;4289318 said:
Do we have a good thread to discuss MJ’s film work as a whole (not in separate threads)? I’m currently very interested in exploring them more, themes, symbols, parallels, context etc. :)

You can make a thread. i don't think it exist.

NatureCriminal7896;4289261 said:
That would of been interesting. Michael was busy with Captain EO. that's why he wasn't apart of it.

No, that was merely an excuse on his part so as to avoid participating at the Live Aid event.

For him, there was a deeper racial issue about that Live Aid event.

Michael Jackson (as a black artist) did not like the fact that most of the artists that were invited to participate at that event were white, and just few of them were black artists.

As a result, he decided to avoid participating at that event as a way to express his disagreement with that.

But he could not express his disagreement publicly at that time for a number of reasons, so he came up with the ‘Captain EO’ excuse.

ChrisC;4289244 said:

Who can say?
Raising money for the Heal The World Foundation was certainly not the main reason for the Dangerous Tour.

The long-term contract that he signed with Sony in 1991 (March) implicitly demanded from him to tour for supporting his subsequent studio albums.

The contract in order for it to be lucrative for both Sony and Michael Jackson demanded a very large number of sales of his next studio albums.

An album cannot sell itself, so he had to embark on giant world tours for supporting and increasing the sales of his albums that he later released during the ‘90s (‘Dangerous’, ‘HIStory’).

In 1994, he was even secretly planning to resume his Dangerous Tour by performing at the venues that his concerts were previously cancelled there due to the accusations against him that broke out in 1993 (August).

But if you love being on stage , then why do you say publicly right at your peak that you will stop touring? I still find it contradictory.
I initially thought perhaps he meant to do one of concerts or smaller venues , no more world tours but since he never did those type of concerts either he clearly wanted to end every type of concert after 1989.

The only reason I can think of is that he eyed more acting jobs or work in the movie business in general but that never really worked out (thank God lol)

Could have been a way to make the tour the biggest in history. If fans thought they would never get another chance to see him then they would make sure they would get tickets to the show

I think MJ did some good acting performances, like his performance in the Wiz or his performance as the Mayor in Ghosts, but I think there were some absolutely stinkers like his acting in Moonwalk and the Bad music video, which was really cringe. All in all, I think Michael was an average actor, and his talent definitely lied in the field of music and not acting.
Exactly....

MJ was good at playing Michael Jackson that’s it in my opinion. After all, he was a super hero!

It's like with NBA players.. Or many other pro sports. But IMO in the NBA it's rather extrem.

The players love playing basketball & being on the hardwood floor.
But 82 games a season, all the traveling, especially the air travel, living in hotel rooms all the time, being away from family, from your own home/safe haven... It's extremely difficult & tiring, for the body and for the mind/soul...

Regarding MJ on Tour:
The constant media attention, the adrenalin, not being able to sleep after shows, losing weight (if you look at MJ at the beginning of a tour versus at the end of tour, he always becomes very thin/frail), etc..

To perform and being on stage and loving that is one thing.
But there is a whole lot of heavy & difficult circumstances that come from being on tour for around 100 or more shows...

I always thought Michael was a natural actor. His acting in Ghosts is top notch. He was perfect in the WIZ. I loved his “acting” in the videos Thriller, TWYMMF, You Rock My World and Bad. I also LOVED his acting in Moonwalker, I think he would have been awesome in a historical type film. I’m sad that he didn’t get that chance.

Back