MJ Bizniz news...let's keep it in this thread for months o come

a little clue of what to look forward to with Sony/ATV is in a past article...

Mr Bandier is convinced that many have overpaid, and - lacking experience - will be forced to sell sooner or later. "At some point in time, we're going to be able to buy those things back at a much cheaper rate," he predicts.

He also foresees an eventual windfall from a host of new social networks, such as MySpace, which are ramping up their music offerings and will have to pay royalties.

In the meantime, he is focusing on Sony/ATV's most valuable asset - its trove of Beatles songs. "There's no bigger star than 'All You Need is Love'," he says, calling the collection "unique".

http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/398

Sony/ATV current featured releases.... ..try to understand why Michael is not touring non-stop ..

www.sonyatv.com

resize_image.php

David Cook
David Cook

sep_template_feat.gif

resize_image.php

Beyonce
I Am...Sasha Fierce

sep_template_feat.gif

resize_image.php

Everlast
Love, War And The Ghost Of Whitey Ford

sep_template_feat.gif

resize_image.php

Ne-Yo
Year of the Gentleman

sep_template_feat.gif

resize_image.php

Nelly
Brass Knuckles

sep_template_feat.gif

resize_image.php

DJ Khaled
We Global

sep_template_feat.gif

resize_image.php

The Game
LAX

sep_template_feat.gif

resize_image.php

Miley Cyrus
Breakout

sep_template_feat.gif

resize_image.php

Sugarland
Love On The Inside

sep_template_feat.gif

resize_image.php

Jonas Brothers
A Little Bit Longer

sep_template_feat.gif

resize_image.php

Lil' Wayne
Tha Carter III

sep_template_feat.gif

resize_image.php

Plies
Definition Of Real

sep_template_feat.gif

resize_image.php

Usher
Here I Stand

sep_template_feat.gif

resize_image.php

Ashanti
The Declaration

sep_template_feat.gif

resize_image.php

Rihanna
Good Girl Gone Bad

sep_template_feat.gif

sb2_up_roll.gif

sb2_up.gif

sb2_bubble_center.gif

sb2_down_roll.gif

sb2_down.gif

lol..yeah..so..dayum. other people are essentially touring FOR MJ. lol

so..be careful when u feel like bashing baby bash or tpain or chris brown or usher, or Britney, cus..they keep MJ from having to tour.

and..if u turn on the radio..most likely, whatever u hear, keeps MJ from having to tour. lol

but it's nice that they are begging him to tour..partly cus they know he doesn't have to, and they're envious..and....partly cus they just need to see him in concert. lol. patience has been MJ's greatest weapon.

so..lol..evvrybody leave lil wayne alone..he's payin MJ's bills. lol.

so..be careful when u feel like bashing baby bash or tpain or chris brown or usher, or Britney, cus..they keep MJ from having to tour.
well thats not a good thing LOL its all their fault lol

bilde

The Associated Press​

2008: The Year in Review / Taylor Swift: 19, poised to be pop superstar

November: BMI declares Taylor Swift's "Teardrops on My Guitar" song of the year and Sony ATV Tree as publisher of the year.

'Straight from her heart'

While the songs reflect the thoughts of a teenager, they are written with a sophistication that songwriters years older have yet to master. What could seem like youthful musings become, via Swift's pen, complex stories that are also relatable to adults decades older. It's one reason why publishing company Sony ATV made her the youngest songwriter they had ever signed.

It's also why Swift, at 15, walked away from a development deal with RCA Records because the company wasn't interested in her recording her own songs. "You don't just walk away from a big record label like that when you're an unsigned artist," Swift says. "But I had a gut feeling about it, and some of the best decisions I've made in my career have been based on solely gut feelings and my instinct."

(So RCA lost out, BIG TIME.
) :doh: :tease:

http://www.cmt.com/news/country-music/1601827/2008-the-year-in-review.jhtml

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/article/20081225/ENTERTAINMENT04/812250313

Last edited:
another thing about Michael in a marketing sense.. he help usher in the "featured" artist on a record... remember SOMEBODY WATCHING ME .. with Rockwell... Rockwell raps and Mike does the chorus ....(sounds like every hip/hop ...song out there now to me)... anyways... Michael didn't write the song... but it helps market Michael Jackson every time its played...

I hear it every Halloween along with Thriller.. and now its featured in the Geico commerical..

The song was covered by several artists, such as Raunchy, Presence, Beatfreakz, Jeffree Star (chorus sampled under the title "Starstruck", verses are re-written), DJ Bobo (under the title "Somebody Dance With Me"), T.O.K., Toby Mac, and Warmen among others. Kidz Bop Kids covered this song on the 2004 album Kidz Bop Halloween.
In December 2008, a series of Geico television commercials featuring a remix of the song by Mysto & Pizzi began airing. The campaign was created by The Martin Agency.[3]

[edit] Beatfreakz Cover

“Somebody's Watching Me”Single by BeatfreakzReleased2006FormatCD SingleWriter(s)Kennedy GordyBeatfreakz singles chronology"Somebody's Watching Me"
(2006)
"Superfreak"
(2006)
[[Image:||200px]]
In May 2006, the Beatfreakz cover peaked at #1 in Spain, #3 in the UK Singles Chart, #3 in the German Official Dance Chart, #4 in Russia, #7 in Finland, #12 in the Dutch Top 40, #18 in France, #36 in the Belgium UltraTop 50, #45 in Australia.

CD Single
  1. Somebody's Watching Me [Hi_Tack Edit]
  2. Somebody's Watching Me [Hi_Tack Club Mix]
  3. Somebody's Watching Me [E-Craig's 2006 Remix]
  4. Somebody's Watching Me [DeNnis Christopher Remix]
  5. Somebody's Watching Me [Ian Carey Club Mix]

the other thing about the "marketing" of Michael.. there is not a Christmas or Halloween that goes by in any country worldwide that plays American songs.. that Michael's songs are not heard on the radio...(the J5 Christmas album, and Thriller)

Last edited:
i can't promise you that you would hear it on the net, but if you logged onto

www.710espn.com

they are a sports station, and everytime they come in from a commercial, they use an atv song. this is in case u don't believe me. they've done it, everyday, since i started listening to them. it def comes in on the radio..i don't know if it extends to the website, but, just in case, just click the 'listen live' and, you might be able to hear what i hear, everyday. lol

let me use the quote from Paul McCarthy that was in a recent article in the UK Telegraph to emphasive Michael's publishing power:

Sir Paul later said: "You know what doesn't feel very good, is going on tour and paying to sing all my songs. Every time I sing Hey Jude, I've got to pay someone."

Source: Telegraph

There's nothing more interesting then this subject
:timer::ermm:-_-:mello:

let me use the quote from Paul McCarthy that was in a recent article in the UK Telegraph to emphasive Michael's publishing power:

all Paul had to do was pony up. he only should be mad at himself. america could take a lesson from you, Paul. there is a certain baseball player that no one is interested in ponying up for. and they're all going to ruin baseball for america if they don't pony up.

There's nothing more interesting then this subject
:timer::ermm:-_-:mello:

it's interesting to me. and i got all your time in the world. :)

Don't bash every artist because they're on Mike's payroll? Nah, f**k that, I'm bashing them even more. "Ha-ha, your money goes to Mike, ha-ha..." :rofl: F**k outta here! LMAO! Now I have to be NICE to musicians who suck IMO? :lol:

Anyway, Rockwell who? I still think "Somebody's Watching Me" is a Michael Jackson song. Yeah and?

"I always feel like somebody's waaaatching meeeee..." :listeningtomusic

Don't bash every artist because they're on Mike's payroll? Nah, f**k that, I'm bashing them even more. "Ha-ha, your money goes to Mike, ha-ha..." :rofl: F**k outta here! LMAO! Now I have to be NICE to musicians who suck IMO? :lol:

Anyway, Rockwell who? I still think "Somebody's Watching Me" is a Michael Jackson song. Yeah and?

"I always feel like somebody's waaaatching meeeee..." :listeningtomusic

keep quiettttttt and go listen to some tpain, dude :lol:

[SIZE=-2]CMT.com[/SIZE]

2008: The Year in Review
[SIZE=-1]CMT.com, TN - Dec 29, 2008[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]BMI declares Hank Williams Jr. its 2008 Icon, Casey Beathard songwriter of the year, Taylor Swift's "Teardrops on My Guitar" song of the year and Sony ATV ...[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-2]AmericaJR.com[/SIZE]
Jennifer Hanson Rides Her Second Wind on 'Thankful' (CMA)
[SIZE=-1]AmericaJR.com, MI - Dec 22, 2008[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]She signed as a writer with Acuff-Rose Music Publishing (now incorporated into Sony/ATV Music Publishing) in 1998, obtained an artist development deal in ...[/SIZE]

Songwriters Hall of Fame - Michael Jackson Detailed Song List

Publisher: Warner-Tamerlane Publishing Co./Mijac Music. ALL NIGHT DANCIN’ ... Publisher: Mijac Music. Award: Grammy Award for Record of the Year (1983) ...

hmmm...and i thought Universal was the number 1 publisher. it's really hard to believe that MJ is not the number 1 publisher in the world at this point, considering his aggressive campaign. i'm betting he is number 1. after all, the prolific country music scene has named his company, publisher of the year.

What most people do not know is that SONY-ATV (Michael) also owns the rights to some Elvis Presley songs including "Suspicious Minds" :)

it's funny, just how humble MJ is. How big is he, really?

the real name of the company should be Sony/Michael Jackson. but, he chose Sony/ATV.

and believe me..i've known, anyone who has bought a company, to always use their own name on it.

but..MJ is a special case.

i also know that anybody who put their name on a company, that they own, never got flack for it. but if MJ did, he would have gotten ****loads of flack for what rightfully should be done.

http://www.sonyatv.com/index.php/news/434

2009 Sony/ATV Grammy Nominees
Dec 05, 2008

resize_image.php

The following is a list of 2009 Sony/ATV Grammy Nominees for the 51st Annual Grammy Awards...

Album Of The Year

Tha Carter III
Lil Wayne
Babyface, Brisco, Fabolous, Jay-Z, Kidd Kidd, Busta Rhymes, Juelz Santana, D. Smith, Static Major, T-Pain & Bobby Valentino, featured artists; Alchemist, David Banner, Vaushaun "Maestro" Brooks, Cool & Dre, Andrews "Drew" Correa, Shondrae "Mr. Bangladesh" Crawford, Darius "Deezle" Harrison, Jim Jonsin, Mousa, Pro Jay, Rodnae, Skillz & Play, D. Smith, Swizz Beatz, Robin Thicke, T-Pain & Kanye West, producers; Angel Aponte, Joshua Berkman, Andrew Dawson, Joe G, Darius "Deezle" Harrison, Fabian Marasciullo, Miguel Scott, Robin Thicke, Julian Vasquez & Gina Victoria, engineers/mixers; Vlado Meller, mastering engineer
[Universal Motown/Cash Money]

Year Of The Gentleman
Ne-Yo
Chuck Harmony, Ne-Yo, Polow Da Don, StarGate, Stereotypes, Syience, Shea Taylor & Shomari "Sho" Wilson, producers; Kirven Arrington, Jeff Chestek, Kevin "KD" Davis, Mikkel Eriksen, Jaymz Hardy Martin, III, Geno Regist, Phil Tan & Tony Terrebonne, engineers/mixers; Herb Powers, Jr., mastering engineer
[Def Jam/Compound]

Raising Sand
Robert Plant & Alison Krauss
T Bone Burnett, producer; Mike Piersante, engineer/mixer; Gavin Lurssen, mastering engineer
[Rounder]

Song Of The Year

Love Song
Sara Bareilles, songwriter (Sara Bareilles)
Track from: Little Voice
[Epic; Publisher: Tiny Bear Music]

Best New Artist

Jonas Brothers

Best Female Pop Vocal Performance

Love Song
Sara Bareilles
Track from: Little Voice
[Epic]

Best Male Pop Vocal Performance

Say
John Mayer
Track from: Continuum
[Columbia]

Closer
Ne-Yo
Track from: Year Of The Gentleman
[Def Jam/Compound Entertainment]

Best Pop Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals

Apologize
OneRepublic
Track from: Dreaming Out Loud
[Mosley Music/Interscope Records]

Best Pop Collaboration With Vocals

Rich Woman
Track from: Raising Sand
[Rounder]

Best Pop Vocal Album

Spirit
Leona Lewis
[J Records/SYCO Music]

Best Dance Recording

Just Dance
Lady Gaga & Colby O'Donis
RedOne, producer; Robert Orton, mixer
[Streamline/Interscope/Kon Live]

Disturbia
Rihanna
Brian Kennedy, producer; Phil Tan, mixer
Track from: Good Girl Gone Bad: Reloaded
[Def Jam]

Best Electronic/Dance Album

Bring Ya To The Brink
Cyndi Lauper
[Epic]

Best Traditional Pop Vocal Album

Noël
Josh Groban
[143/Reprise]

Best Solo Rock Vocal Performance

Gravity
John Mayer
Track from: Where The Light Is — Live In Los Angeles
[Columbia]

I Saw Her Standing There
Paul McCartney
Track from: Amoeba's Secret
[Hear Music/MPL Communications Ltd.]

Rise
Eddie Vedder
[J Records]

Best Female R&B Vocal Performance

Spotlight
Jennifer Hudson
[Arista]

Superwoman
Alicia Keys
Track from: As I Am
[J Records]

Best Male R&B Vocal Performance

Miss Independent
Ne-Yo
[Def Jam/Compound]

Can't Help But Wait
Trey Songz
Track from: Trey Day
[Atlantic]

Here I Stand
Usher
Track from: Here I Stand
[LaFace]

Best R&B Song

Miss Independent
M.S. Eriksen, T.E. Hermansen & S. Smith, songwriters (Ne-Yo)
[Def Jam/Compound; Publishers: Pen In The Ground Publishing, Universal Music-Z Tunes]

Spotlight
Mikkel S. Eriksen, Tor Erik Hermansen & Shaffer Smith, songwriters (Jennifer Hudson)
[Arista Records; Publishers: Super Sayin' Publishing/Universal Music-Z Songs, Sony/ATV Tunes, EMI Music Publishing]

Best R&B Album

Motown: A Journey Through Hitsville USA
Boyz II Men
[Decca Records]

Jennifer Hudson
Jennifer Hudson
[Arista Records]

Best Contemporary R&B Album

Growing Pains
Mary J. Blige
[Geffen]

Back Of My Lac'
J. Holiday
[Capitol Records]

First Love
Karina
[Def Jam]

Year Of The Gentleman
Ne-Yo
[Def Jam/Compound]

Fearless
Jazmine Sullivan
[J Records]

Best Rap/Sung Collaboration

Low
Flo Rida Featuring T-Pain
Track from: Mail On Sunday
[Poe Boy/Atlantic]

Best Rap Song

Low
T. Dillard, M. Humphrey & T-Pain, songwriters (Flo Rida Featuring T-Pain)
Track from: Mail On Sunday
[Poe Boy/Atlantic; Publishers: E-Class Publishing/Top Quality Publishing/NappyPub Music/Zomba Songs]

Best Rap Album

Tha Carter III
Lil Wayne
[Cash Money/Universal Motown]

The Cool
Lupe Fiasco
[1st & 15th/Atlantic]

Nas
Nas
[Def Jam]

Best Female Country Vocal Performance

This Is Me You're Talking To
Trisha Yearwood
Track from: Heaven, Heartache And The Power Of Love
[Big Machine]

Best Male Country Vocal Performance

Troubadour
George Strait
Track from: Troubadour
[MCA Nashville]

Best Country Performance By A Duo Or Group With Vocals

God Must Be Busy
Brooks & Dunn
Track from: Cowboy Town
[Arista Nashville]

Best Country Collaboration With Vocals

House Of Cash
George Strait & Patty Loveless
Track from: Troubadour
[MCA Nashville]

Best Country Song

Dig Two Graves
Ashley Gorley & Bob Regan, songwriters (Randy Travis)
Track from: Around The Bend
[Warner Bros.; Publishers: Songs of Combustion Music, Music of Windswept/Famous Music, Mt. Tallac Music]

Best Country Album

Troubadour
George Strait
[MCA Nashville]

Around The Bend
Randy Travis
[Warner Bros.]

Heaven, Heartache And The Power Of Love
Trisha Yearwood
[Big Machine]

Best Latin Pop Album

Palabras Del Silencio
Luis Fonsi
[Universal Music Latino]

Best Latin Urban Album

La Sinfonia
La Sinfonia
[Norte/Sony BMG]

Best Regional Mexican Album

A Puro Dolor
Nadia
[Warner Music Latina]

Best Contemporary Folk/Americana Album

Raising Sand
[Rounder Records]

All I Intended To Be
Emmylou Harris
[Nonesuch Records]

Best Comedy Album

Flight Of The Conchords
Flight Of The Conchords
[Sub Pop]

Best Compilation Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media

American Gangster
(Various Artists)
[Def Jam]

Juno
(Various Artists)
[Fox Music/Rhino]

Best Song Written For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media

Say (From The Bucket List)
John Mayer, songwriter (John Mayer)
Track from: Continuum
[Aware/Columbia; Publishers: Sony/ATV Tunes, Specific Harm Music]

Best Remixed Recording, Non-Classical

Closer (StoneBridge Radio Edit)
StoneBridge, remixer (Ne-Yo)
[Def Jam]

Best Classical Contemporary Composition

Mr. Tambourine Man: Seven Poems Of Bob Dylan
John Corigliano (JoAnn Falletta)
Track from: Corigliano: Mr. Tambourine Man: Seven Poems Of Bob Dylan
[Naxos]

Best Long Form Music Video

Where The Light Is — Live In Los Angeles
John Mayer
Danny Clinch, video director; Lindha Narvaez, video producer
[Columbia]

Good Girl Gone Bad Live
Rihanna
Paul Caslin, video director; John Paveley, Ruth Paveley & Rupert Style, video producers
[Def Jam/SRP Records/Mercury Music Group/Universal Music]

Here is where Sony and Mijac Publishing are reaping benefits from the UK for Michael ... with>>>

clear.gif

Thriller Live Begins West End Run Jan. 2

By Mark Shenton
02 Jan 2009

thriller.jpg
clear.gif
Poster for Thriller — Live.
Thriller Live, the new West End celebration of the life and career of Michael Jackson, begins performances at the Lyric Theatre Jan. 2, prior to an official opening Jan. 21. The limited run will play through April 12.

Former 5 Star lead vocalist, songwriter and Brit Award winner Denise Pearson is making her West End debut in the show, which also features Ricko Baird, who co-choreographed Jackson's "You Rock My World," and doubled for him in the video. He was also lead dancer alongside Jackson on the award-winning "Dangerous" and on the "Michael Jackson and Friends" tour.
Three 13-year-old boys alternate in the role of the young Michael Jackson: Layton Williams (previously the first black Billy Elliot in London), Sterling Williams (Young Simba in The Lion King) and newcomer Kieran Alleyne.

Also in the cast are Roger Wright, who created the role of Simba in the original London cast of The Lion King and played Marvin Gaye in the West End production of Dancing in the Streets; John Moabi (seen in Street Scene at the Young Vic earlier this year); Ben Foster (Doody in the West End production of Grease) and Ashton Russell, with Kamilah Beckles, Ivan Blackstock, Jordan Darrell, Jo Dyce, Christabelle Fields, Elliott James, Earl Perkins, Danni Rothman, Emily Rumbles, Ross Sands, Sean Williams and Yasmin Yazdi.

Pearson formed British R&B group 5 Star – once dubbed "the British Jackson 5" - in 1983 with her four siblings, Stedman, Lorraine, Doris and Delroy. 5 Star songs written by her include "Stay Out of My Life" - the group's only self-composed Top 10 hit; "Hard Race," "There's a Brand New World," "What About Me Baby," "Live Giving Love," "Let Me Be Yours," "Feel Much Better," "Funktafied," and "Don't Let Me Be the Lonely One," among others. In 1986 5 Star received a Grammy Award nomination for Best Rhythm and Blues Instrumental Performance for Pearson's composition, "First Avenue," which was the B-side of 5 Star's first hit single "All Fall Down." In 1987 the group won a Brit Award for Best British Group. They disbanded in 2006. After moving to California with her family in the early 1990s, Denise married a racing driver. In 1994 she gave birth to a son, Karan Saneinia, followed by a daughter, Hassa Alexis Saneinia a year later.
Baird is from St Louis, MO, where he started dancing on the neighborhood street corners. Moving to Los Angeles in 1996, he went on to dance in concerts and videos with Janet Jackson, Britney Spears and Tina Turner, among many other top artists. He has choreographed for Mya, winning a Best Choreography Award for the U.S. Top 20 hit "My Love is Like... Wo."
Thriller Live, which pays tribute to the musical hits and career of Michael Jackson and the Jackson 5, has previously enjoyed three U.K. tours as well as engagements in Germany, Holland and Scandinavia.

Billed as a spectacular, high-octane show specially created to celebrate the career of the "world's greatest entertainer and undisputed King of Pop," the show's performance schedule includes two Sunday showings every week at 3 and 7 PM, as well as Tuesday-Saturday evening performances at 8 PM and an additional Saturday matinee at 4 PM.

The West End season is being produced by Paul Walden and Derek Nicol for Flying Music, and Sony BMG Music Entertainment UK in association with Adrian Grant for Key Concerts.

In a recent press statement, producer Nicol of Flying Music said, "Thriller Live is an uplifting, feel-good show with incredible choreography and sensational songs that everyone knows and loves — it's just the sort of escapist entertainment people need to take their minds off how tough life is at the moment. Thriller Live has high production values, a large company on stage and a live band — and it delivers high class entertainment that is suitable for everyone from 8 to 80. It's obvious to us from the recent early closing of West End musicals, cancellation of several planned UK tours, and the number of ticket discounts and promotions, that money is extremely tight and a lot of the current shows are struggling to fill their theatres. We want to make sure that Thriller Live is in the price bracket of as many people as possible."

Paul Curran of Sony BMG Music Entertainment UK, added, "The show is a celebration of one of the greatest music catalogues in history. We are thrilled to be involved and there are obviously many promotional and marketing opportunities between the show and our catalogue."

Songs heard in the show include "I Want You Back," "I'll Be There," "Show You The Way To Go," "Can You Feel It," "Rock With You," "She's Out Of My Life," "Thriller," "Beat It," "Ben," "ABC," "Man in the Mirror," "Dirty Diana," "Billie Jean" and "Earth Song".

The production was originally conceived and created by executive director Adrian Grant, a long-time associate of Jackson's and author of "Michael Jackson – The Visual Documentary." It is directed and choreographed by Gary Lloyd (who has previously worked with Leona Lewis, Will Young, Gareth Gates, Emma Bunton, Robbie Williams, Pink, Anastacia, Lemar, Rachel Stevens, Kelly Clarkson and Girls Aloud) and features additional choreography by five-time MTV award-winning LaVelle Smith Jnr. and Kerys Nathan.
To book tickets contact the box office at 0844 412 4661 or visit www.nimaxtheatres.com/thriller.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/124773.html

rasta help me out here which jackie wilson song does mijac have is it higher and higher or sweetest felling cause i can never remember

Bandier Hails Million-Selling 'Hallelujah'
January 06, 2009

By Andre Paine, London

Sony/ATV (Michael Jackson) Music Publishing chairman and CEO Martin Bandier has spoken of the longevity and current success of "Hallelujah," which is currently No. 1 in the U.K. singles chart.

The cover of Leonard Cohen's 1984 song by Alexandra Burke, winner of the TV music talent show "The X Factor," will officially become a million-sellling single by the end of the week. After three weeks at No. 1, the Syco/Sony Music Entertainment release had sold 992,387 copies by Jan. 3, according to the Official Charts Co.

The publishing rights to "Hallelujah" are controlled by Sony/ATV. Bandier says it belongs to a select group of compositions that have the "ability to evoke emotion and memories and create something that is lasting."

"Hallelujah is one of those songs, it's been around for a while and it never ceases to catch the attention of people when it's played and performed," Bandier tells Billboard.biz.

While Burke's single was the biggest-seller of 2008 in the U.K., according to the Official Charts Co, it was one of a number of versions in the chart. When Burke secured the Christmas No. 1 on Dec. 21, Jeff Buckley's version from 1994 album "Grace" (Columbia) was at No. 2 - the first time the same song has held the first and second positions on the U.K. chart since 1957. Cohen's version made No. 36, while Bon Jovi's version and Kate Voegele's also made the Top 200.

Bandier says the song will always make a connection with the public. "I think that's what happens whenever it's performed and wherever it's performed, whether Leonard Cohen does it himself or whether you hear a version by Jeff Buckley," says Bandier, "it's one of those truly emotional songs that cuts across all genders, genres, religions, it feels very spiritual."

The success of the song will benefit Leonard Cohen, following a widely reported fraud. A court ruled in March 2006 that $9.5 million was stolen by an ex-manager of the veteran Canadian artist and it then emerged that Cohen was unlikely to recover the money.

Cohen staged a successful comeback tour last year, promoted by AEG Live.

"It's kind of interesting that this year Leonard was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall Of Fame, which again is a real tribute to him and I think in a certain manner it's almost a tribute to that song ["Hallelujah"]," says Bandier. "Because it does cut across all borders. There are no limits to that song and what it can be used for and who would like to hear it, or who would like to become emotionally attached to it."

He adds, "This is one of those songs that we very carefully guard in terms of how it's used and who it's licensed to for product endorsement and anything like that. I think that there are wonderful things that are out there where the song can be used. We're not against it but I do think that we carefully watch it. To put it in today's parlance it's protecting the brand. 'Hallelujah' is a brand."

Although no approval was necessary for the song to be released by the winner of "The X Factor," the Sony/ATV boss was happy to see it being chosen by Simon Cowell, one of the show's judges. His company Syco is also behind the TV format and signed Burke.

"Simon Cowell is one of the great song people in the world, there's no question that he has the ability to recognize incredible melodies and lyrics and knows what works," says Bandier. "So I think that for him to pick this song, I think first of all it's a tribute to him and I think we're proud of the fact he would pick that song. But we're also proud of the fact that we're involved with that song and his selection of it only reinforces our own view about how spectacular the song is."

Bandier says that Cohen is being regularly updated on the current success of his song.

http://www.billboard.biz/bbbiz/content_display/industry/e3i7b57851228481ca58bf3a61be00bfdfb

rasta help me out here which jackie wilson song does mijac have is it higher and higher or sweetest felling cause i can never remember

from what I remember from going thru the Mijac Music list when I started doing MJ bizniz news... I think its HIGHER AND HIGHER

oh, found it.. here is proof.... check the bottom of the sheet music on this link:
http://www.alle-noten.de/pdf/CHM04055.pdf

he also has Percy Sledge WHEN A MAN LOVES A WOMAN..

some new bizniz news

Cledus T. Judd waits on Obama
[SIZE=-1]Country Standard Time - Newton Centre,MA,USA[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]Judd has signed a new publishing deal with Sony/ATV Music and Rascal Flatts' Joe Don Rooney's publishing company as a songwriter. ...[/SIZE]

Bandier Hails Million-Selling 'Hallelujah'
[SIZE=-1]Billboard Business News - New York,NY,USA[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]By Andre Paine, London Sony/ATV Music Publishing chairman and CEO Martin Bandier has spoken of the longevity and current success of "Hallelujah," which is ...[/SIZE]

Beatles Gamia!

Written by JP Watson
Tuesday, 06 January 2009 00:00
spacer.gif

Culture - Global
hdCulture.gif

At the beginning of November 2008, news of a video game that will write a new chapter in the history books of the world’s most famous band emerged. It has taken nearly two years of negotiations between MTV/Harmonix (developers behind the console music game, Rock Band) and Apple Corps, the business enterprise built from the success of the Beatles, to agree that this was a good idea. Since the moment Yoko Ono, Sir Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and Olivia Harrison officially signed off on the deal, there has been a constant churn of rumour about issues ranging from game-play to song availability. Growing speculation has come from journalists and game developers alike, hunting for details of what may turn out to be a brilliant experiential journey through the annals of Liverpool’s finest.

For a group that has been somewhat reluctant to digitalise (legal downloads of their albums are effectively a non-entity, for example), this looks like the first gusts of what Martin Bandier, head of Sony/ATV music publishing, controllers of the Beatles’ copyrights, describes as “a changing wind” towards the digital age for the band. Ono was certainly keen to publicise the “perfect sense” of the project in an unusually frank interview with Entertainment Weekly: “All of us are actually pretty hip, so we said yes. I’m personally very excited. [The game] lets you participate in a way where you’re really [immersed in] the music. With so many young kids into the Beatles, it’s a start to a beautiful new page in [the band’s] history. Maybe they’ll start to make music and not just listen to it, and really understand what it’s about.”

The publicised affiliation with MTV/Harmonix is also important. They are the powerhouses behind the hugely successful Rock Band franchise of computer games, games which test your ability to strike correct notes in sequence to your favourite music and score points along the way. Rock Band incorporates bass and lead guitar, drums and a microphone; thus the developers already have the design savvy to create the musical experience of each of the Fab Four. Despite this background, though, they have been keen to state this project as a stand-alone title, something that intensifies the ambiguity about what this game really is by perplexing fans of their already popular franchise. It also discounts what seemed to be logical titles for the game (Beatles: Rock Band, etc). Alex Rigopulos, head of Harmonix, confirmed during a press call: “This game is not just a Rock Band song expansion pack. It is much, much more than that. It'll be a full-blown, custom game title production built from the ground up.”

McCartney’s statement didn’t really clear things up either: “The project is a fun idea which broadens the appeal of the Beatles and their music . . . I like people having the opportunity to get to know the music from the inside out.”

What does this really mean? Will each of us finally share the tongue trip, getting the chance to fly in the sky and learning the secrets of Lucy (does anyone still care?); will we undergo vicarious ancient Hindu meditation with a digitalisation of recently deceased Maharishi Mahesh Yogi in the foothills of India? Sadly, I fear not.

Yet over the last couple of weeks, the rumour mill has been churning up some positive insights into the game, with CEO of Viacom (part of MTV Networks) Philippe Dauman going on record about the integrated “journey” of the game, all of which is very exciting when you think we may get the chance to experience some of the most famous passages of musical history firsthand (albeit through a two-foot plastic guitar or fluorescent hollow drum sticks). "It will just blow you away," Dauman claimed. "It really goes through the history of the Beatles and they're collaborating with it. [Gamers] will start out in clubs in Liverpool and work [their] way through to the Abbey Road studio with never-before-heard dialog from when they were recording their music."

This leak is borne out of what is becoming an increasingly strong position for Harmonix/MTV in the battle for fake axe wielding supremacy. Dauman’s comments exude the type of confidence he has in a media platform that is becoming an integral part of the promotional vehicle for the music industry: "There's a strong music orientation to our company; many of our networks are ideal vehicles to promote [a band] . . . and you'll see more and more of that as we move forward,” he said. "We also have the opportunity to attract talent to [Rock Band] in a way that our competitors have greater difficulty doing."

All of this influence, unsurprisingly, has led to a number of collaborative influences on the project, things that will surely raise the pleasure of the game in the long run. For example, all music will be drawn from the actual master recordings of the Beatles’ single releases; any additional music will be supervised by Giles Martin, son of the producer George, and co-producer of the Beatles/Cirque du Soleil show, LOVE.

All of this must make uncomfortable reading for the main rival, Activision, and their flagship competitive title Guitar Heroes. Their particular failure to secure the Beatles deal suggests that they do not have the same power of influence as MTV, a company who has held the hands of rock and roll’s most influential stars since music television was born. Even the recent acquisition of Metallica for Guitar Heroes pales in significance, because it just doesn’t offer the same possibilities for ravenous media behaviour; behaviour like the game-title punning that comes alongside the output of Sergeant Pepper’s ensemble. Activision were further wounded, albeit through an extremely confusing blogsite, by Axl Rose (Guns ‘n’ Roses front man) in a recent outburst that tarnished Guitar Hero with “low life chicanery” and unfair treatment with regards to the licences of music, something the likes of Ono and McCartney would never stomach, digital or not.

The future success of this project, therefore, appears to be unstoppable. CEO of Apple Corps Jeff Jones highlighted the encompassing quality of moving the music onto an interactive platform. He said: "This video game is an innovative way to introduce the timeless music of the Beatles to a brand new generation of fans and a unique opportunity for existing Beatles fans to experience the band as they never have before in a complete immersive, interactive way.”

The obvious problem with this, from the perspective of someone who believes in musical “experience” relying on acquisitions of real instruments, is that a complete immersive musicianship is not really happening here, that the timeless quality of the music was played, not mimed. Unbelievably, all of the central figures behind this project, including members of the original band and spouses of deceased legends, are wholeheartedly touting the outreaching value of the new game. This is happening without paying attention to the fact that the instrumental genius of the original movement is being left behind somewhere by this overuse of fake microphones, gamepads and avatars in place of moppish haircuts and massive audiences of actual screaming girls.

http://www.sevenglobal.org/index.php/culture/57-global/297-beatles-gamia.htmlvar JOSC_ajaxEnabled=1;if (!JOSC_http) JOSC_ajaxEnabled=false;var JOSC_sortDownward='0';var JOSC_captchaEnabled=true;var JOSC_template='http://www.sevenglobal.org/components/com_comment/joscomment/templates/default-emotop';var JOSC_liveSite='http://www.sevenglobal.org/components/com_comment/joscomment';var JOSC_ConfigLiveSite='http://www.sevenglobal.org';var JOSC_linkToContent='http://www.sevenglobal.org/index.php/culture/57-global/297-beatles-gamia.html';var JOSC_autopublish='1';

a non embarrassment of riches....

another number 1 atv song...

T.I. and Rhianna, 'Live Your Life', this week.

great message rapped by T.I....

'be grateful for what you do have..stop worrying about what you don't have'.

'unhappy with your riches cus you're **** poor, morally'.

dude(T.I.) is goin thru somn, but congratulations to him, for tryin to do something with his life.

i'm tellin you...if somebody keeps listing the atv number 1's(pun) on the top 40, MJ can now enter the Guiness, yet again.:clapping:

Back