MJ moves up Soundscan's 'best selling artists chart'!

The Soundscan chart is definitely correct within the stated confines. it charts the sales as scanned by soundscan since it started in 1991. Nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't claim to represent the true chart of total sales in the US over that time period (for example it doesn't include club sales which were quite substantial in the early 90s) but is a good indicator of that.

A reliable number for worldwide record sales can be calculated by summing up the certifications they received in various countries. In USA, we have the RIAA which does that. There are similar companies in every country which do that. Wikipedia is saying that that number is 155 million for Michael.

There are many countries where sales have not been accurately recorded, even in recent years, and where certifications are not awarded or are not 100% accurate. Sales data from previous decades (e.g 50s, 60s, 70s, even in developed countries such as the USA and UK is not very accurate in many cases (mj was under certified by the RIAA for years - I believe some of his albums still are). Of course with digital systems in place around the world these days data is much more easily obtainable and verifiable but that was not always the case and so sales for acts such as the beatles, elvis and mj are not accurate - that is the reason why there is so much debate over each acts sales. If it was as easy as you suggest there would be no debate at all.

A reliable number for worldwide record sales can be calculated by summing up the certifications they received in various countries. In USA, we have the RIAA which does that. There are similar companies in every country which do that. Wikipedia is saying that that number is 155 million for Michael.

Like bomboo79 said, that isn't necessarily reliable either. That just gives you the lowest limit an artist sold. If we take that as an indication MJ is not third, but fourth because Madonna has more certified records. But I doubt she really sold more, when Michael has three albums (Thriller, Dangerous, Bad) which sold more than the highest selling Madonna album (which is, interestingly, not one of her studio albums but a compilation album - The Immaculate Collection). Although Madonna has a bit more albums, but I still doubt she sold more. Also Michael is possibly the most global artist and what you see on Wikipedia just a couple of countries' certified sales, but not all of them.

Also those data on Wikipedia are not really comparable because for example they have data for Madonna from Argentina but they don't have data for Michael from Argentina. It's pretty random from what countries they have data for each artist.

Last edited:
US is not the best mirror for Michael's success...

Exactly, Michael Jackson and the Betales are the only worldwide/global acts, maybe Id say, Michael is the only one, because his musical and artistic impact covers all continents, including countries like India, China, Iran, Irag, Afrika....
MJ is the GLOBAL artist.....

Hi,
this is my first post on here..and

i have to point out that this Soundscan list doesn't include Music Clubs sales, where Michael sold millions: over 2,8 millions through BMG alone., but his sales were way bigger with the Columbia MC.
So that list doesn't reflect all his american sales since 1991.
Instead, albums for artist like The Beatles or Pink Floyd haven't been never available through M. Clubs so all their sales are included on that list.

I wish HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone :)

Hi,
this is my first post on here..and

i have to point out that this Soundscan list doesn't include Music Clubs sales, where Michael sold millions: over 2,8 millions through BMG alone., but his sales were way bigger with the Columbia MC.
So that list doesn't reflect all his american sales since 1991.
Instead, albums for artist like The Beatles or Pink Floyd haven't been never available through M. Clubs so all their sales are included on that list.

I wish HAPPY NEW YEAR everyone :punk:

Back