MJ Short films not shot in 16:9 or 2.39:1 or 2.40:1 on film negative.

I personally don't think the estate has bothered to look for the majority of this stuff. They've shown that they don't care about stuff unless they already have it. I also don't really have any sympathy for them, they are not a small company and can easily hire other people to get all this stuff done.

Last edited:
I personally don't think the estate has bothered to look for the majority of this stuff. They've shown that they don't care about stuff unless they already have it. I also don't really have any sympathy for them, they are not a small company and can easily hire other people to get all this stuff done.

I don't know; I think they really tried by people who underestimate how mismanaged Michael himself actually was. They probably knew it existed but who had it and where? That took time. would be nice to get a slightly better release with the images.

That's all I'm trying to tell eckoes!!!

Last edited:
Why doesnt the estate just answer these questions from us fans? I see lots of speculation on where these 'original' films, tapes, etc are, cause we all simply dont know.

Has the estate ever given a statement or something on what type of material they are in possession off? I dont even need to know all the details, just a statement with either (1) we have nothing, (2) limited material , or (3) a lot of material, that would be helpful..

Why doesnt the estate just answer these questions from us fans? I see lots of speculation on where these 'original' films, tapes, etc are, cause we all simply dont know.

Has the estate ever given a statement or something on what type of material they are in possession off? I dont even need to know all the details, just a statement with either (1) we have nothing, (2) limited material , or (3) a lot of material, that would be helpful..
Quoted By The official Mj site
"The Estate has every intention of upgrading Michaelā€™s short films wherever possible. Upgrading Michaelā€™s short films is more akin to what is required for older theatrical motion pictures as opposed to music videos by other artists in large part due to all of the work (e.g., effects, etc.) customarily done on each short film beyond the actual filming and the manner and format in which all of that work was originally done. A few short films, like ā€œThrillerā€ and ā€œSmooth Criminalā€, have 35 mm masters where the upgrade is expensive but much more doable. However, that is not the case for most of the short films and, in these cases, the process is more expensive and requires more work (and time). In some cases, it may not even be possible if all we have is a poor quality master tape and no original source materials are located. It is important for fans to understand that not everything that was created by Michael actually made it into Michaelā€™s storage facilities (including, for example, the high def footage of the full Bad Tour concert at Wembley even though we know that Michael shot ā€œAnother Part of Meā€ at that and other concerts on film to create the short film for that song). But we will continue to look for the best solution for the challenges we face with each of the short films and we look forward to sharing the upgraded short films when the work required has been completed"

& that was a few years ago.

Just because it's MJ, that doesn't mean everything else around him is operating at a top level.
Ok.... listen when I said this is mj...I meant nobody is bigger & look at how they do him within his own estate with the bs products & teasers they throw in our faces.
What if they did hire someone, and that person looked, and they couldn't find them?

You're simplifying this way too much.
How could they not find something in a Michael Jackson storage facility?? They have clearly said where it was stored & we even seen the warehouse on et. Let alone the video room mj already had. How is that simplified? Most ppl cherish & adore & hold on to things mj had given them or etc. Hence the reason its so many private collectors out there that don't wanna share anything due to not getting sued by the estate.
Pick a person you live with. Now try to write down EVERYTHING that they own - every single item. Now try to find one item at random. And that's just a small family who have maybe 10 rooms and a garage. Now imagine you've gotta search 10,000 rooms and hundreds of garages in different cities.
I couldn't imagine but whoever I lived with in the past wasn't Michael Jackson either so it makes a difference especially if I'm getting paid to do the job they're paying me for. Again, did they have to hire someone to do that yet & why haven't they just said "nope, didn't find 1 piece of source material".. what reason or excuse is it to why they haven't ever hired anyone to look for these things. Where did all the 4k behind the scenes bad 25 stuff come from? You really think Michael had an entire film crew around at all times & didn't keep up with the original negatives to his shorts?? Yall can't be that gullible (R1chard, misterteejay, & eckoes)
I don't. That's why I'm saying it's not guaranteed they have everything they need. The "estate" isn't nearly as professional as you seem to think.
I never once thought they were professional. That's the main problem for me. They don't gaf!

Last edited:
You are over simplifying things. All we said was:
- one would need to find the original film elements.
No I'm not. Ok so answer this... why hasn't nobody been hired to actually go look for them? Are they never not going to look just because it's "too much"? Seriously?!
Do they still exists? And if they do, where are they? And if we find them, are they still in good conditions (proper storage, color have not faded, film has not warped, etc)? And if they are, are they complete? do they need mechanical or/and photochemical restoration?
even if they do, why can't this billion dollar estate corporation do just that for the sole person of the estate... im not understanding that part
And that is just step 1 of many. It's not easy. We never said, anywhere, that it was impossible. We have just said that, because it is MJ, and that he used to hire so many different firms over the years to film a lot of stuffs that have been unreleased, that finding ANYTHING is already a not-so-trivial task. That's it.
Why do you keep saying "we"? Who else are you speaking for? & yeah did hire alot of different directors over the years but I can't understand for the life of me why you don't think the other directors still have a copy like John had thriller & more behind the scenes things.
Tone down the attitude, please.
How do you conduct in your head that I have an attitude on text? You may be reading what I have to say out of context in your own head lol. It's no hard feelings to strangers on the internet. It's not that serious to have an attitude on an mj site. I don't do that
The fact that Beat It original negatives were found and restored, same for Thriller, is already quite exceptional for music videos. We are not saying the task is impossible, it's just not as simple.
So what about smooth criminal, bad, the way you make me feel, etc what's the reason we don't have those in 4k? How are they not simple? You really think the estate can't find the negatives from the bad era at all??šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
I'll give you three examples: Frank Zappa, Eddie Van Halen and Prince. They got all their archives properly stored at one place: master tapes, film negatives, multitracks, live tapes, session tapes, the whole lot. Everything is in there, stored correctly and in good shape. Even with the knowledge that everything is available, and with a huge budget to start with, and the will to release stuffs from their vaults by their estate, it still took a huge expertise to go through it all, catalog them, restore them and all. And this is in the case of three artists who had everything stored properly in one place and a willing estate. Even in the best case scenario, it's not as simple as one may think.
& this was my point from jump like I said...mj was bigger than all of them!! Bigger than they will ever be & had way better quality films over music videos yet those people's things were archived & Michael's wasn't? The most important things wasn't stored properly? Man come tf onšŸ¤¦šŸæā€ā™‚ļø
MJ had so much stuffs stored everywhere but lots of different people. Most of it unreleased. It's not simple. Really not.
I'm just curious to know how you know that the people still don't have it & the estate doesn't care to get it?
Stop repeating that "the estate lies" rethoric, and look: it's not simple. At all.
Ok JohnšŸ¤­šŸ¤­

Why doesnt the estate just answer these questions from us fans?
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but... the "estate" only exists to make money. They don't care about you one bit. You don't matter to them. It doesn't matter if you're happy or sad or angry or anything else.

Everything they do is to generate as big a profit as possible - they don't release stuff to give you a warm feeling inside.

Above all, don't let this stuff get to you. You are a customer, your role is to decide whether or not you want to buy what they're offering for sale, nothing more, nothing less. If you don't like the estate, don't buy their stuff. That's all you can do.

Ok.... listen when I said this is mj...I meant nobody is bigger
That doesn't matter. That doesn't mean they can find stuff they don't have.

How could they not find something in a Michael Jackson storage facility?
It's not like these things all have GPS tags on them. They don't flash or beep when you get close. Again, we're talking about small items spread over a very large area. It's needle in a haystack stuff.

Most ppl cherish & adore & hold on to things mj had given them or etc.
These crews are businesspeople. It's just business. They're not fans of MJ.

You really think Michael had an entire film crew around at all times & didn't keep up with the original negatives to his shorts??
If you're getting filmed 24 hours a day, you literally haven't got time to watch it! And why would MJ have anything to do with cataloguing and storing stuff? He had people to do everything.

I never once thought they were professional. That's the main problem for me. They don't gaf!
That's what I mean. They don't owe you anything. They're gonna do as much or as little as they want, and there's literally nothing you can do about. Maybe they'll release something, maybe they won't. It's really not something to waste your time on.

Last edited:
I hate to be the one to tell you this, but... the "estate" only exists to make money. They don't care about you one bit. You don't matter to them. It doesn't matter if you're happy or sad or angry or anything else.

Everything they do is to generate as big a profit as possible - they don't release stuff to give you a warm feeling inside.

Above all, don't let this stuff get to you. You are a customer, your role is to decide whether or not you want to buy what they're offering for sale, nothing more, nothing less. If you don't like the estate, don't buy their stuff. That's all you can do.

That doesn't matter. That doesn't mean they can find stuff they don't have.

It's not like these things all have GPS tags on them. They don't flash or beep when you get close. Again, we're talking about small items spread over a very large area. It's needle in a haystack stuff.

These crews are businesspeople. It's just business. They're not fans of MJ.

If you're getting filmed 24 hours a day, you literally haven't got time to watch it! And why would MJ have anything to do with cataloguing and storing stuff? He had people to do everything.

That's what I mean. They don't owe you anything. They're gonna do as much or as little as they want, and there's literally nothing you can do about. Maybe they'll release something, maybe they won't. It's really not something to waste your time on.
Lmao you keep referring to me as if I'm the only fan that wants this. U trying to make it personal when it really ain't even that so... I hope you're enjoying your day. Carry on with the negativity.

Probably when AI makes remastering videos as easy and convenient as recording them, then they'll probably remaster everything. With no need to edit the original scans and what not.

So when people say it would be costy to have a video restored to HD, does anyone have a price or an idea of how much it would cost for a 5 minutes video? How much are we talking about?

Back