MJs vocals on Triumph

8th wonder

Proud Member
The quality of Michael's voice on Triumph was amazing and was arguably his best however his tone sounded slightly different to Off The Wall which was only recorded a year prior. Not sure how to describe how it changed (maybe some tracks were slightly sped up or it sounded a bit brighter) but there was a slight difference which you can even hear on the late Destiny tour shows e.g. Oakland.

The album is nearly 45 minutes long so there is definitely a possibility they sped some songs up but can't say for certain. His tone sounded similar to Triumph on Baby Be Mine which might've also been sped up; Matt Forger said one of the songs on Thriller was sped up and that's the most likely one.

This was something I always noticed as well. My take on it is I think you heard MJ finding that voice on DESTINY that he used on OFF THE WALL....That solo style voice with all the fire and energy. Once they began the TRIUMPH sessions I feel like he tried to sing the tracks differently than he had on OFF THE WALL so he could keep that style he had been developing for his solo albums. It was a much more restrained and higher tone (which could have been achieved by speeding the tracks up) but you can definitely hear a stylistic change to "how" he decided to sing the tracks on TRIUMPH. By the time he started working on his next solo project after TRIUMPH you can hear him return to the free form vocal style he used on OFF THE WALL.

Is speeding up music common practice?
Isn’t it kind of cheating? The whole feel of a song the way it was intended gets changed I’d guess. Is it also possible for musicians to play a the sped up version of a song live? I mean you can speed up music so much that it becomes impossible to recreate the music by human vocal or hands.
This feels so artificial to me

I also hear a brightness in his voice that is absent later on in his career but I don’t attribute it mainly to Triumph. I hear it everything he recorded in the early 80s. I doubt it is sped up much. He sounds just as bright live on the victory tour as he does on album. At least to me…

This was something I always noticed as well. My take on it is I think you heard MJ finding that voice on DESTINY that he used on OFF THE WALL....That solo style voice with all the fire and energy. Once they began the TRIUMPH sessions I feel like he tried to sing the tracks differently than he had on OFF THE WALL so he could keep that style he had been developing for his solo albums. It was a much more restrained and higher tone (which could have been achieved by speeding the tracks up) but you can definitely hear a stylistic change to "how" he decided to sing the tracks on TRIUMPH. By the time he started working on his next solo project after TRIUMPH you can hear him return to the free form vocal style he used on OFF THE WALL.
I think the change from Destiny to Off The Wall happened because he started working with Seth Riggs which led to changes such as his belts sounding fuller; maybe that's what also led to his voice changing on Triumph & towards the end of the Destiny tour.

Isn’t it kind of cheating? The whole feel of a song the way it was intended gets changed I’d guess. Is it also possible for musicians to play a the sped up version of a song live? I mean you can speed up music so much that it becomes impossible to recreate the music by human vocal or hands.

I also hear a brightness in his voice that is absent later on in his career but I don’t attribute it mainly to Triumph. I hear it everything he recorded in the early 80s. I doubt it is sped up much. He sounds just as bright live on the victory tour as he does on album. At least to me…
Speeding up songs is pretty common & people such as MJ & Prince used it. Back then it was mainly done to get an album to be short enough to fit on a vinyl but nowadays it's very common since people prefer sped up/high pitched versions of songs (they're all over TikTok). You can recreate it live by playing a quicker tempo or raising the key.

Yeah his voice on early albums like Off The Wall was brighter & he was belting higher notes than later years (e.g. WDAN). In 1981/1982 he still had some of the brightness he had on OTW & Triumph, 1987 had a little less brightness but in the 90s his voice lost a lot of brightness (probably due to the Bad tour)

It's common practice, well maybe not much anymore, but it isn't something completely unheard of. I wouldn't consider it cheating as you still need to be talented enough to arrange the whole song, and execute the idea, play the instruments, sing the vocal. Half the album is at least sped up.
The album is nearly 45 minutes long so there is definitely a possibility they sped some songs up but can't say for certain. His tone sounded similar to Triumph on Baby Be Mine which might've also been sped up; Matt Forger said one of the songs on Thriller was sped up and that's the most likely one.
Thriller itself was sped up, also Baby Be Mine should be sped up too.
The vocals are definitely sped up. Wondering Who is like 1.5x speed or something. Walk Right Now and Your Ways sound sped up too.

They probably couldn't decide what song to cut/trim down, so sped everything up instead so it would fit on a vinyl record.
Your Ways isn't really sped up that much surprisingly, that's just some crazy Michael falsetto

Last edited:
The vocals are sped up on at least some songs. When MJ's part kicks in on Can You Feel It, it's very noticeable, he sounds like a chipmunk. I guess it was done because it was felt that it was a more commercial sound.

The vocals are sped up on at least some songs. When MJ's part kicks in on Can You Feel It, it's very noticeable, he sounds like a chipmunk. I guess it was done because it was felt that it was a more commercial sound.
They were probably sped up to make the songs more danceable.

Yeah, that's why TWYMMF was sped up as well. Gives it a certain sound.
Most of the BAD album is sped up, TWYMMF given the worse end of things though, Bad is sped up a lot, the original sounds so much more groovier, meanwhile the album track sounds like a dance track, you cant dance to something that's not somewhat upbeat

I don’t believe that michael’s vocals were sped up on ‘triumph’. I think it was either a deliberate choice, or just where his voice was at that time. it sounds the same as the other songs he featured on from that era; ‘save me’, ‘just friends’, ‘say say say’ and ‘the man’ (they were recorded two years prior to their release in 1983).

Quincy jones said that he wanted to strengthen michael’s lower range. I’m not sure if his vocal coach Seth Riggs was present for the non solo projects..

I do believe that there is a difference between the way Michael sounded on his own in the late seventies/early eighties, versus the Jacksons. on the latter, he sounded more effortless and clean, but I feel he was more explorational and soulful independent from his brothers.

i personally consider both of them to be his peak 💜

Most of the BAD album is sped up
Wasn't it just TWYMMF, Bad & Smooth Criminal? His voice on the rest sounds in line with how you would expect it to sound in 1986/1987 (minus APOM ofc).

I don’t believe that michael’s vocals were sped up on ‘triumph’. I think it was either a deliberate choice, or just where his voice was at that time. it sounds the same as the other songs he featured on from that era; ‘save me’, ‘just friends’, ‘say say say’ and ‘the man’ (they were recorded two years prior to their release in 1983).

Quincy jones said that he wanted to strengthen michael’s lower range. I’m not sure if his vocal coach Seth Riggs was present for the non solo projects..

I do believe that there is a difference between the way Michael sounded on his own in the late seventies/early eighties, versus the Jacksons. on the latter, he sounded more effortless and clean, but I feel he was more explorational and soulful independent from his brothers.

Wow I'd never heard Save Me or Just Friends before; his voice on Save Me sounds great & like a mix of OTW & Triumph. Say Say Say & The Man sound slightly deeper to me compared to Triumph (closer to Thriller) which makes sense given they were recorded in 1981 (you can also hear his voice getting slightly deeper in 1981 when comparing the vocals on the Destiny tour to the Triumph tour or Diana Ross show).

Yeah OTW to Thriller was his peak imo. OTW had great moments such as the end of RWY & the E5s in WDAN & even though Thriller had less brightness (minus Baby Be Mine) he made up for it by being able to add grit to his voice & vocals like WBSS & LIML are amazing so it's definitely part of his peak.

Wasn't it just TWYMMF, Bad & Smooth Criminal? His voice on the rest sounds in line with how you would expect it to sound in 1986/1987 (minus APOM ofc).
Speed Demon and Liberian Girl, and maybe JGF by about a key (im unsure on JGF, but we have a snippet of it being sung in a different key in the BAD 25 Documentary), Smooth Criminal, TWYMMF, Dirty Diana slightly too, and Bad, and Another Part Of Me too.

It's common on a lot of old funk, R&B, disco, dance music, children's & comedy songs. It's used quite a bit in Funkadelic/George Clinton songs. In other songs it's slowed down. But in these cases it wasn't done to save time on an album, it was more of an Alvin & The Chipmunks effect. Prince even recorded seceral of songs like that and used the name "Camille" as the singer. It was supposed to be an album as Camille, but that was cancelled and some of the songs were released elsewhere like on the Sign O'The Times albums and B-sides to singles. Hard Day by George Michael has sped up vocals at the end and the remix for Wham!'s I'm Your Man has a slowed down voice at one part. In the early 2000s there were a lot of rap songs on the radio with sped up voice samples, I remember one had a Luther Vandross sample, but I forgot what the song & artist was. It might have been Kanye West.

Wow I'd never heard Save Me or Just Friends before; his voice on Save Me sounds great & like a mix of OTW & Triumph. Say Say Say & The Man sound slightly deeper to me compared to Triumph (closer to Thriller) which makes sense given they were recorded in 1981 (you can also hear his voice getting slightly deeper in 1981 when comparing the vocals on the Destiny tour to the Triumph tour or Diana Ross show).

Yeah OTW to Thriller was his peak imo. OTW had great moments such as the end of RWY & the E5s in WDAN & even though Thriller had less brightness (minus Baby Be Mine) he made up for it by being able to add grit to his voice & vocals like WBSS & LIML are amazing so it's definitely part of his peak.
interesting. ‘baby be mine’ always stood out to me as the moment when michael showed vocal strain..

I listened to both ‘save me’ and ‘just friends’ for the first time in awhile. I didn’t realise how low his voice was mixed in the former. like he was faraway from the microphone. the lyrics remind of the stories michael would later tell about the perils of chasing the ‘Hollywood dream’.

michael’s vocals on ‘just friends’ (as well as the song itself) was somewhat reminiscent of ‘time waits for no one’ to me, but nowhere near as clear. I think his duet partner brought him down. I don’t think they blended well.

I think the delicate high timbre is perfect as long as he’s not drowned out by production (as demonstrated in ‘give it up’).

this Disney medley from 1980 has all of michael’s elements💜. I’m not sure if it was recorded before or after ‘triumph’. I doubt it was sped up.

interesting. ‘baby be mine’ always stood out to me as the moment when michael showed vocal strain..

I listened to both ‘save me’ and ‘just friends’ for the first time in awhile. I didn’t realise how low his voice was mixed in the former. like he was faraway from the microphone. the lyrics remind of the stories michael would later tell about the perils of chasing the ‘Hollywood dream’.

michael’s vocals on ‘just friends’ (as well as the song itself) was somewhat reminiscent of ‘time waits for no one’ to me, but nowhere near as clear. I think his duet partner brought him down. I don’t think they blended well.

I think the delicate high timbre is perfect as long as he’s not drowned out by production (as demonstrated in ‘give it up’).

this Disney medley from 1980 has all of michael’s elements💜. I’m not sure if it was recorded before or after ‘triumph’. I doubt it was sped up.
Which parts sound strained? To be fair he was hitting loads of D5s on that song so he was really pushing himself. Wouldn't be surprised if it was sped up tho since the final version is a bit quicker than the demo and Michael's voice is a bit brighter/higher.

The Disney special seems to have been recorded before the Triumph album and at times Michael's vocals sound like a mix of OTW and Triumph.

Speed Demon and Liberian Girl, and maybe JGF by about a key (im unsure on JGF, but we have a snippet of it being sung in a different key in the BAD 25 Documentary), Smooth Criminal, TWYMMF, Dirty Diana slightly too, and Bad, and Another Part Of Me too.
Turns out Liberian Girl was actually slowed down, the only track in the album who had the opposite treatment i guess lol

Everybody on Triumph is pitched up....I did an edit a few years back and pitched it down to Michael's original tone and it sounds better that way

Btw where did you hear about Speed Demon, Liberian Girl, Dirty Diana and the album version of APOM being sped up?

Btw where did you hear about Speed Demon, Liberian Girl, Dirty Diana and the album version of APOM being sped up?
Dirty Diana i've heard stuff from the original multitrack.

Speed Demon, That Nero remix's vocals seem to be at the original speed (most likely since for Bad 25 they used the original tracks, and not mix stems), also try pitch the album version a key down, and see how close it sounds to the demo.

Liberian Girl, the BGV from Brad's slave reel i think say more than enough, different key.

APOM i had the original speed % written down somewhere, I asked somebody who was there during the sessions, also I think its obvious also cause the Captain EO version isn't sped up as much.

Dirty Diana i've heard stuff from the original multitrack.

Speed Demon, That Nero remix's vocals seem to be at the original speed (most likely since for Bad 25 they used the original tracks, and not mix stems), also try pitch the album version a key down, and see how close it sounds to the demo.

Liberian Girl, the BGV from Brad's slave reel i think say more than enough, different key.

APOM i had the original speed % written down somewhere, I asked somebody who was there during the sessions, also I think its obvious also cause the Captain EO version isn't sped up as much.
Just compared them and I can't hear it tbh. The Dirty Diana acapella sounds the same as MJs vocals in the song and Speed Demon sounds the same with the remix having more revurb.

With Liberian Girl the low pitch background vocals were probably just turned down a bit in the final mix which would explain why it sounds a bit higher.

To me APOM sounds the same but the Captain EO version might sound a bit lower because MJs vocals aren't as prominent and the bass is more prominent. You can hear the same thing with the Wembley show; the DVD was more bass heavy which resulted in MJ sounding deeper in APOM compared to the CD. The single version was definitely pitched up tho.

Just compared them and I can't hear it tbh. The Dirty Diana acapella sounds the same as MJs vocals in the song and Speed Demon sounds the same with the remix having more revurb.

With Liberian Girl the low pitch background vocals were probably just turned down a bit in the final mix which would explain why it sounds a bit higher.

To me APOM sounds the same but the Captain EO version might sound a bit lower because MJs vocals aren't as prominent and the bass is more prominent. You can hear the same thing with the Wembley show; the DVD was more bass heavy which resulted in MJ sounding deeper in APOM compared to the CD. The single version was definitely pitched up tho.
Unrelated and definitely not relevant to this conversation, just wanted to say that i find it very funny how people use "pitched up" and "sped up" interchangeably even though they are really different things, although i guess in the end it doesn't matter.
Yes, APOM, TWYMMF, Dirty Diana and of course, Smooth Criminal, were all sped up for their single releases.
I honestly never liked how fast they made APOM and TWYMMF in the singles, it made MJ sound like a chipmunk.

Unrelated and definitely not relevant to this conversation, just wanted to say that i find it very funny how people use "pitched up" and "sped up" interchangeably even though they are really different things, although i guess in the end it doesn't matter.
Yes, APOM, TWYMMF, Dirty Diana and of course, Smooth Criminal, were all sped up for their single releases.
I honestly never liked how fast they made APOM and TWYMMF in the singles, it made MJ sound like a chipmunk.
I mean back in those days if they were speeding a song up it would result in the pitch going up so yeah they do mean different things but changing one variable would affect the other.

TWYMMF and Smooth Criminal were also sped up on the album; the single and reissued albums versions did have some changes tho like the bass, kick drum and breathing changes in Smooth Criminal and the end of TWYMMF.

I mean back in those days if they were speeding a song up it would result in the pitch going up so yeah they do mean different things but changing one variable would affect the other.

TWYMMF and Smooth Criminal were also sped up on the album; the single and reissued albums versions did have some changes tho like the bass, kick drum and breathing changes in Smooth Criminal and the end of TWYMMF.
Indeed, Smooth Criminal went from a bpm of 114.731 to 118.200, that's like a 3% increase in speed just in there.
Then the single version came out and it was even faster at a BPM of 119.891.
There's 4 official versions of Smooth Criminal, the OG mix that came out with the release of Bad, then the 2nd album mix which rather than a different mix was straight up a rework of the song (due to the many changes they did, like the bass and kick drum which you already mentioned), then the 3rd mix which was the same as the 2nd, but it didn't have the breathing during the intro, and then the single version which is literally using the same session as the Moonwalker version.

For Dirty Diana, the leaked "pack" sourced from stream recordings is from stems, what i've heard is from the actual multitrack, it's not too much slower, but it definitely is a bit slower.

Speed Demon, pitch the album version down a key, and see how it sounds compared to the demo, you'll realize they should sound similar, since the strings sound the same on the chorus you can use that to compare, speed demon was definitely sped up quite a bit.

I used pitched because I was talking in terms of keys, you don't say you speed it up a key.

Back