MJ’s website 2001

That was before all hell broke loose having 30+ million dollars spent on making the album, having it be delayed numerous times, and Michael making the mistake of speaking out, saying his contract was coming to an end and he wasn't going to renew it.

If you were a record label, would you want to promote something that was not going to end well? IMO the failure of Invincible is a 2 sided sword. Sony is to blame for part of it, Michael had a hand in it as well.
That's all because of Sony. Michael was the only right person in this battle. If Motola just agreed to give him 15 million dollars to make 3 more videoclips, the album would become a legend.

I never knew internet existed in 2001
The internet came into being circa 1969. Mostly just used by IT / computer / software types. The web was up and running by 1989 or thereabouts. I was using the web by the mid-90's but it didn't really expand for a few more years. I had a job in the mid-90's, maybe 800 people worked in the building. There were precisely two computers that had an internet connection. :ROFLMAO:

Actually, I just remembered another job I had in the 90's. Again, there were two computers that had the internet. This was in the days of dial-up connections. I could only access the internet on my computer when the other person was out of the building or in a meeting.

oh my days! :ROFLMAO:

The internet came into being circa 1969. Mostly just used by IT / computer / software types. The web was up and running by 1989 or thereabouts. I was using the web by the mid-90's but it didn't really expand for a few more years. I had a job in the mid-90's, maybe 800 people worked in the building. There were precisely two computers that had an internet connection. :ROFLMAO:

Actually, I just remembered another job I had in the 90's. Again, there were two computers that had the internet. This was in the days of dial-up connections. I could only access the internet on my computer when the other person was out of the building or in a meeting.

oh my days! :ROFLMAO:
omg.... you are soo mature. probably the eldest MJ fan on this forun. In 90s i didn't even exist. I started to exist in 2002:D

@Richard76 I thought you were born in 1976, lol
My mom was born in 1976, but the story behind my nick is a little bit more complicated. Few years ago, I was a big fan of Spider-Man. I used to read a lot of comic about him, and there was a spin-off, called "Peter Parker The Specracular Spider-Man", that started coming out in 1976. That's why i decided to use a password Richard76 in all my acounts, a little while after I decided to use a nickname Richard76

This was in the days of dial-up connections. I could only access the internet on my computer when the other person was out of the building or in a meeting.
the good old days where your phone line was always busy when connected to the internet - or vice versa

My name is Legion. For we are many.
Name: Richard. Surname: Classified. Age: 20. Gender: male. Eye colour: black. Hair colour: black. Race: Russian. Height: 5'9. Weight: 135lbs. Status: not married. Kids: none. Bad habits: none smoker.
Fav food: pizza and shaurma. Fav colour: purple. Fav drink: tomato juice and chocolate cocktail :)

I listen to it all the time lol. I like the song, but it was clearly calculated on MJ's part considering how it came about.

Last edited:
It really wasn't. Getting Santana two years after his album came out isn't really calculated.
Two years isn't a long time, especially considering how big the album was. Sold 30 million worldwide, which is tremendous for an album released in 1999, and even broke Thriller's record for most awards won in a single night at the 2000 Grammy's. Doing a song with Santana two years after Supernatural is like doing a song with MJ two years after Thriller; the success of his album was still felt in the industry, so doing a song with him was an easy way to get a hit.

And MJ couldn't have worked with Santana sooner after his album came out, anyway, because he was busy touring to promote it. Supernatural came out in June 1999; his tour started in February of that year and ended in October 2000. "Whatever Happens" was recorded in February 2001, so MJ basically got Santana as soon as he was available.

And getting him on a song that was made 2 years before that is interesting.

Not really. MJ just took someone else's song and recorded it without adding any of his own input beyond the vocals. The lyrics and melody are basically the same as the demo; MJ slapped his name onto the list of co-writers even though he wrote no part of the song. Neither did Teddy Riley, for that matter; Gil Cang and Geoffrey Williams wrote it all by themselves.

A lot of songs on Invincible are like this. Dr. Freeze confirmed that he wrote "Break of Dawn" all by himself, the writer demos to "Heaven Can Wait" and "Butterflies" are basically the same as the final versions if I remember correctly (and "Heaven Can Wait" was supposed to be a Blackstreet song before MJ asked Teddy for it), "2000 Watts" was supposed to be for Tyrese on his album of the same name before MJ asked Teddy for it, Darkchild wrote the songs that he produced all by himself with his brother Fred and LaShawn Daniels and the only thing MJ changed on "You Are My Life" was the title from "You Are My World".

Hard to feel like MJ worked hard on this album when he's giving himself co-writer credits on songs he didn't actually write at all. Save for "Speechless" and "The Lost Children", all of the songs were written by other people; MJ would pick them for his album after hearing the demos and just add his own vocals. He was just shopping, basically.

Last edited:
Doing a song with Santana two years after Supernatural is like doing a song with MJ two years after Thriller; the success of his album was still felt in the industry, so doing a song with him was an easy way to get a hit.
Yeah but doing anything with MJ at any point after Thriller was like doing a song with MJ after Thriller. There simply was no higher peak lol.

Not really. MJ just took someone else's song and recorded it without adding any of his own input beyond the vocals. The lyrics and melody are basically the same as the demo; MJ slapped his name onto the list of co-writers even though he wrote no part of the song. Neither did Teddy Riley, for that matter; Gil Cang and Geoffrey Williams wrote it all by themselves.
That has nothing to do with what I said. The song existed and was done up a long while before Santana. It never had to go to Santana. But it did and that's fortuitous.

Hard to feel like MJ worked hard on this album when he's giving himself co-writer credits on songs he didn't actually write at all.
I don't disagree that he didn't write them. But it's not like he has to do the singer-songwriter thing always. MJ just never was Prince, he didn't do it "all". The J5, Motown, (Early) Jacksons stuff had barely any of his "input" and yet those are beloved classic songs. His work load was about the same it had been since his career inception, just because the pivot back is diswaying to some changes nothing. Truth is MJ didn't write certain types of songs so in order to branch out, he did need others. I think that's a fair credit as an artist, not merely a Bob Dylan-esque author.

Back