Musical Parallels Thread

Somebody’s Watching Me
I always feel like somebody's watching me

Threatened
You should be watching me

Maybe it's only slightly MJ related, but I was listening to Fiddler on the Roof's Wedding Segment song and the melody of the song resembles Little Susie.

I think 'Trouble' and 'Dangerous' are thematically similar:

'But I loved it 'cause it's dangerous'

'She's trouble, I love it, even though it feels so good'

I think 'Trouble' and 'Dangerous' are thematically similar:

'But I loved it 'cause it's dangerous'

'She's trouble, I love it, even though it feels so good'
Thematic/lyric similarities are interesting but not really the focus here.

I might expound upon this, but Billie Jean and Money actually share a lot of the same melodic DNA. Compare the original demo of BJ if it helps.

D.S.: 'You know he really tried to take me down by surprise, I bet he missioned with the CIA

Cheater
: 'You know I work too hard for this kinda play, I wrote a letter for the ghetto of the CIA

Tabloid Junkie
: 'Who's the next, for you to resurrect, JFK exposed the CIA'
Streetwalker (1986 rough mix): I wrote a letter for the CIA ghetto

Speaking of the Streetwalker demo, I think the first part is also very Billie Jean-ish:

I'm not sure, what are you talking about Mister Jay Tee, but I hope you mean songs like Ghosts and Is It Scary. They have parellels: same lyric lines

• We're Here to Entertain You (the Jackson 5) <> Don't Walk Away (Michael Jackson) - Not like they sound like melodies in any way... But they make me think of each other in the sense that both start with very good MJ ballad singing (in the way that I really like MJ singing ballads)... and both end into whatever uninspired randomness that takes like half of the song....

• We're Here to Entertain You (the Jackson 5) <> Don't Walk Away (Michael Jackson) - Not like they sound like melodies in any way... But they make me think of each other in the sense that both start with very good MJ ballad singing (in the way that I really like MJ singing ballads)... and both end into whatever uninspired randomness that takes like half of the song....
This is a nothing comment.

A pretty obvious one maybe but I don't think it was already posted:

Streetwalker:

'Hey pretty baby, kisses for your loving
I really get it when you're next to me, yeah yeah

The Way You Make Me Feel:

'Hey, pretty baby with the high heels on
You give me fever like I've never ever known

According to the web search results, musical parallels are the parallel movement of two or more melodies or chords that have the same intervallic structure. Musical parallels can create a sense of harmony, contrast, or effect in a musical composition.

Some examples of musical parallels that I like are:

• The parallel fifths in the opening of Beethoven's Symphony No. 5, which create a powerful and memorable motif.

• The parallel triads in the chorus of "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey, which create a catchy and uplifting melody.

• The parallel quartal chords in the intro of "So What" by Miles Davis, which create a cool and modern jazz sound.

We're talking "musical" parallels. Not lyrical.

Well... I had an idea for a much wider scope "Musical/songs similarities" and I never opened it because this thread came up and my idea initially seemed redundant with this one...
If this one is now only about strict musical parallels, I kind of regret not opening my own thread. But I think I already shared a large part of my ideas in this current thread.

According to the web search results, musical parallels are the parallel movement of two or more melodies or chords that have the same intervallic structure. Musical parallels can create a sense of harmony, contrast, or effect in a musical composition.

• The parallel fifths in the opening of Beethoven's Symphony No. 5, which create a powerful and memorable motif.

• The parallel triads in the chorus of "Don't Stop Believin'" by Journey, which create a catchy and uplifting melody.

• The parallel quartal chords in the intro of "So What" by Miles Davis, which create a cool and modern jazz sound.
That’s another type of parallel. The thread title perhaps isn’t optimal, but I think the intention is clear from the context.

A better example would be pretty much every rock song which utilize guitars and power chords.

Well... I had an idea for a much wider scope "Musical/songs similarities" and I never opened it because this thread came up and my idea initially seemed redundant with this one...
If this one is now only about strict musical parallels, I kind of regret not opening my own thread. But I think I already shared a large part of my ideas in this current thread.
Now? That’s the idea from the start!

(Correct me if I’m wrong, @Mister_Jay_Tee)

C

Richard figured out ChatGPT.

By all means, try again. I'll contribute. I always enjoy new discussions about the artist who made Invincible :)

Back