My meeting with Siedah Garrett at the Westlake Recording Studios

crismjj

Guests
Hi, everyone.
Me and a group of MJ fans from Brazil went to Los Angeles in late January, to watch the "Immortal world tour" and to visit many MJ-related places. We had the opportunity to meet Siedah Garret, (co-writer of the song "Man in the mirror" who worked with Michael during the Dangerous World Tour) at the Westlake Recording Studios (Studio D), where "Bad" was recorded.
It was an unforgettable experience for me and for all my friends, she was very kind and sweet. I would like to share this video with all MJ fans, I hope you like it!

What a tremendous experience you had. Many thanks for sharing it with us!

This made my day, thank you so much for sharing your awesome meeting with Siedah :better: You guys are great, and Siedah couldn't have been more friendlier and sweeter.

Thank you guys! I´m so happy whenever I read or listen to any story related to Michael, as if it happened to me, you know? I´m glad that I finally have something to share with you guys. The energy in the studio was just amazing and being in the same place where Michael did what he loved the most is remarkable, to say the least :)

That was amazing Chrismjj. I was pleasantly suprised. :) That wasnt what I was expecting. I am deelply touch by you and your friends and how gracious and kind Siedah was to you. What a awesome video to have of your meeting in the same studio Michael worked at with Siedah.

crismjj thanks so much for that. What a great experience you had. I'm from Brazil too - Pernambuco - and I can imagine how does you feel.
Many thanks.

crismjj;3601039 said:
Thank you guys! I´m so happy whenever I read or listen to any story related to Michael, as if it happened to me, you know? I´m glad that I finally have something to share with you guys. The energy in the studio was just amazing and being in the same place where Michael did what he loved the most is remarkable, to say the least :)
I always enjoy reading such stories as well, but seeing them is even better! I can absolutely imagine that it must be amazing to be in the place where he made some of his greatest records and to be there with Siedah, who always seems very kind-spirited and is a legend just for writing MITM, must make it that much more special. Thanks again for sharing!

Oh my God, it was so emotional! Siedah is awesome. Thank you, this made my day.

That was beautiful and touching. My heart still aches but I love to see how Michael and his music and touched so many lives in a positive way.

Wow...What a beautiful experience. Thank you very much for sharing it with all of us.

Siedah is such a gracious woman. She deserves all the blessings. I hope she wins the Oscar next week Go Siedah!!!

Thank you for your comments, I´m glad that you liked it! I´m getting all the pictures from this trip (including the pictures from the studios) and I´ll share with you guys this week.
I can honestly say that visiting Westlake Recording Studios was one of the best experiences I´ve ever had, as a Michael Jackson fan, it´s like being in a holy ground. As I said in the video, it´s different for me listening to "Off the wall", "Thriller", "Bad" after being in the same place where he recorded such hits. ("Captain EO", some tracks from "Victory", "Dangerous" and "History" were also recorded at Westlake)
The owners of the studio were also very kind and very generous, they are thinking about doing tours with other groups of fans in the future. I think we were the second or third group of MJ fans they received there and they enjoyed seeing our joy and our reaction just for being there. As soon as I have more info about it, I´ll post it here ;)

And by the way, Siedah has a new project, she´s recording a new cd which includes a track called "Keep on loving you", which is a tribute to Michael. This is her website, if you want to check it out: www.artistshare.com/siedahgarrett

Last edited:
Thank you so much for sharing this with us !! Siedah is just fantastic !

OMG this must have been such an unforgettable experience!!!!!!!!Totally amazing!!!!!!

I'm so so glad for you!!!!!!

Thank you so much for sharing your joy with us!!!!!

Siedah is soooo sweet!!!!!

I must say, Siedah Garrett has my respect. It's so awesome that she took time to meet with you. I would absolutely love to meet her some day myself.

Guys, some songs from the Dangerous Tour in Buenos Aires leaked on the web. This is the performance I mentioned in the video, "I just can't stop loving you", where Siedah is wearing the blond wig.

C
redits to MJJacksonHDvideos

wow thank you so much for sharing this with us..I feel so blessed to of been able to see it. It must have been an amazing experience meeting her and being in the same room where all the magic happend once upon a time. She seems so sweet and kind. Again thank you for sharing your experience

Guys, some songs from the Dangerous Tour in Buenos Aires leaked on the web. This is the performance I mentioned in the video, "I just can't stop loving you", where Siedah is wearing the blond wig.

C
redits to MJJacksonHDvideos

Michael must of been thinking....wtf is this..lmao. Seidah must be sad each and every day of her life...her and Michael have so much history...thank you for posting this.

What I´m wondering about is what Siedah said in the video, the thing about the demo for MITM. She said that the original demo was in a TOO HIGH key for MJ to sing, so they had to re-record it in a lower key. That may be so, but then I´m curious about which key the original demo really was in. Because as we all know MJ had a remarkable range for a male singer, and is known for being able to sing in a very high key. And although Siedah has a great voice, she doesn´t hit me as a singer who is able to sing in extreme keys herself. So i don´t get it, do you? Someone please explain.

PS! The MITM demo on Youtube must be the re-recorded version, though, because that´s not in a very high key.

Mr. Norway;3608760 said:
What I´m wondering about is what Siedah said in the video, the thing about the demo for MITM. She said that the original demo was in a TOO HIGH key for MJ to sing, so they had to re-record it in a lower key. That may be so, but then I´m curious about which key the original demo really was in. Because as we all know MJ had a remarkable range for a male singer, and is known for being able to sing in a very high key. And although Siedah has a great voice, she doesn´t hit me as a singer who is able to sing in extreme keys herself. So i don´t get it, do you? Someone please explain.

PS! The MITM demo on Youtube must be the re-recorded version, though, because that´s not in a very high key.

I'm not a singer so i don't totally know, but i have an idea as a musician. Keys have associated scales with them and it's not about the notes themselves, it's about the intervals (the space between the two pitches, the size of the leap) in a higher key the intervals will still be the same, but will be so from a higher starting pitch making them harder to achieve. There is a recording of Michael singing beat it live, but i've totally forgotten where it is, where he's really out of tune cause it's in the wrong key for him, i think it was in the original album key but his voice had changed a lot since Thriller, in terms of comfortably of keys, he could still sing high sure and hit the same actual notes, but his power range wasn't as high for a long time, i can't really explain it well haha. Also aside from all that which is speculation it could simply be that it was a key with a scale that his ears and voice weren't comfortable with at pitching, some singers like certain keys and they practise singing more often in them. A lot of MJ's songs tend to feature a lot of the black keys on the piano (many sharps or flats) he must like singing in those keys i guess.

AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
kermit.gif
But it broke my heart :( .... We miss you dear Michael...... :cry:

Mr. Norway;3608760 said:

I'm not a singer myself, but Siedah's demo (the one that is on youtube) is in Ab major, while Michael's album version is in G major - so the demo is indeed half a tone higher.

Last edited:
TheSilentOne;3609342 said:
I'm not a singer myself, but Siedah's demo (the one that is on youtube) is in Ab major, while Michael's album version is in G major - so the demo is indeed half a tone higher.

I´m not a singer, either. And okay, maybe it is a half tone up. But if it was this demo Siedah was talking about that MJ could not sing, I find that very hard to believe. My guess is that MJ just found it more comfortable and thought it would sound better with him singing it in G major - and not that he wasn´t able to sing it that way. I don´t know but that´s my thoughts about it. Because the original demo didn´t sound that hard (for a singer like MJ) to do.

Mr. Norway;3608760 said:

Have you watched this video? Start watching it at 01:00
[video=youtube;psQzF7mo3xg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psQzF7mo3xg[/video]
I think that when Michael listened to her version of MITM for the first time , maybe that's what he heard at that time, she's singing in a higher key. And then she had to record it again to a lower key and that is the demo that we know. That´s my opinion.

crismjj;3610472 said:
Have you watched this video? Start watching it at 01:00
[video=youtube;psQzF7mo3xg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psQzF7mo3xg[/video]
I think that when Michael listened to her version of MITM for the first time , maybe that's what he heard at that time, she's singing in a higher key. And then she had to record it again to a lower key and that is the demo that we know. That´s my opinion.

- No, I hadn´t watched that video, so thank you for posting it. And yes, I think you´re right that she probably recorded the demo in that key - which is, as she puts it herself, too high. And MJ wisely got it lowered for his version. However, i do believe that MJ COULD sing it in that key if he really wanted to. That´s a totally different discussion, though.

This moment captured in this video is amazing. I cried along with you wonderful ladies, thank you so SO much for sharing.

Back