New All-Star Tribute album?

Neff-U’s participation is what has me sold. He turned “Best of Joy” into something interesting and lovely, his take on “The Way You Love Me” is wonderful, and his version of “Hollywood Tonight” is one of the more authentic posthumous productions we’ve yet heard. Rodney is the cherry on top, and Will is the “okay that’s cool” addition, but Neff is the main course.

Neff-U is what got me hooked. I don't really care about Rodney being on this project because Imo he completely butchered Xscape with his remix, I'll try to give him the benefit of the doubt anyways because he's still a great producer. I would rather have some other producer like RedOne or Ne-Yo or even Brad Buxer instead of will.i.am but let's see how it goes. I don't really like his sound tbh but anyways lol.

I don't think the article even says that Will.I.Am is involved. It just says he recorded in that studio with Michael. It also doesn't mention 'unreleased songs'. It's almost like Mkgenie has misinterpreted the article and quoted it as 'a source'.

I'd be super excited if this was the long discussed duets album but I don't think it is. Its an unofficial tribute album. It'll be Michael's greatest hits sung by other artists, I look forward to it of course, but I don't see it being groundbreaking.

Will believe it when I see it...

Let's be honest, after the garbage unreleased tracks we got on T40 , this could be a welcome change.

So which songs could end up in this album?
Notable unfinished Tracks: You Were There, Adore You, Jungle, Willing and Waiting, Shut Up and Dance, Monster, D.I.E, Just Remember, I'm Still The King, I'm Dreamin, Broken Chair, I'm Innocent.
Although I don't really know which of them have written lyrics.
I’m Dreamin’ is just a cover of the song “Can’t Wake Up (I’m A Blunt)” but with different chorus lyrics, so unlikely they’ll choose that one.

Neff-U is what got me hooked. I don't really care about Rodney being on this project because Imo he completely butchered Xscape with his remix, I'll try to give him the benefit of the doubt anyways because he's still a great producer. I would rather have some other producer like RedOne or Ne-Yo or even Brad Buxer instead of will.i.am but let's see how it goes. I don't really like his sound tbh but anyways lol.
I wish Brad Buxer and Michael Prince could be involved as well.

From Neff-U's sessions alone they could use:
Broken Chair
Bang Your Head
D.I.E
You Were There
Love Heals
Silent Spring
Love Heals
Don't Make Me Stay
Dark Lady
Water
Red Eye

And from will.i.am's:
Can You
I Will Miss You
The Future
Still The King
A ballad with John Legend

Anything else from Rodney is complete guesswork since there's no song apart from GYWOOM that's confirmed to exist. I suspect that a lot of the songs we'll hear on the album will be songs we haven't heard of before.
I think there’s a good chance we’ll get Rampage. Rodney routinely talks about that track on his Instagram live.

I think there’s a good chance we’ll get Rampage. Rodney routinely talks about that track on his Instagram live.
Is there any of the Darkchild tracks written by Michael? If not it's possible that no song from Rodney will be used for the album and he was only called in for remixing. Unless if they lie and say that MJ did write them lol.

Is there any of the Darkchild tracks written by Michael? If not it's possible that no song from Rodney will be used for the album and he was only called in for remixing. Unless if they lie and say that MJ did write them lol.
“The Girl That Got Away” is credited to Michael and Rodney, but some say that is just the girl sample used in Xscape. Also maybe they’ll include songs MJ cowrote as well?

Personally speaking, I am not too interested in songs sung by other people. But if the songs are well received, then it could highlight Michael's songwriting prowess, which I feel is often neglected by the music critics.

I think if all of this is true it will be a very good release and could even get pretty big in the general public which is always good and moreso in the case of Michael's more unknown material, but I think there's still a lot to know... How different will the songs be from how he left them and if they will put the original tracks alongside the album mainly, aside from the more obvious stuff like everyone that will be working on it, what songs they'll choose and why, etc.
In any case I'll be cautiously optimistic until they hopefully clear things up later on.

Neff-U’s participation is what has me sold. He turned “Best of Joy” into something interesting and lovely, his take on “The Way You Love Me” is wonderful, and his version of “Hollywood Tonight” is one of the more authentic posthumous productions we’ve yet heard. Rodney is the cherry on top, and Will is the “okay that’s cool” addition, but Neff is the main course.
I really don't know how you can confidently say the stuff you'll be hearing is even anything MJ actually produced when it's going to be remixed. The confidence in this project is kinda puzzling to me considering we have no way of knowing what MJ actually made and what he didn't. His voice won't even be there so how are we to know?.

I really don't understand why this is a thing that is so hard to understand.

Obviously if this project provides the original demos it will be different. I just don't understand the excitement around it when we don't know this.

It's really starting to feel to me that fans will support anything without even asking any questions.

Last edited:
I really don't know how you can confidently say the stuff you'll be hearing is even anything MJ actually produced when it's going to be remixed. The confidence in this project is kinda puzzling to me considering we have no way of knowing what MJ actually made and what he didn't. His voice won't even be there so how are we to know?.

I really don't understand why this is a thing that is so hard to understand.

Obviously if this project provides the original demos it will be different. I just don't understand the excitement around it when we don't know this.

It's really starting to feel to me that fans will support anything without even asking any questions.
Threw my response in the spoiler tag to prevent any disinterested users from scrolling past a wall of text lol.

I think it’s incredibly disingenuous to say that “fans will support anything” when every single project released since MJ’s death has been met with everything from casual irritation to scathing condemnation. I wouldn’t call any of this discussion confidence as much as curiosity.

First, the initial press release touts it as an independent project overseen by MJ’s collaborators. I’d think the absence of any estate micromanaging would be appealing to everyone, though this is still to be seen. Secondly, it’s rather obvious that the material wouldn’t be exactly as MJ had left it; I don’t think anyone has contested that point. But the producers involved have demonstrated (at least in my opinion) that they are willing and capable of handling material in a respectful, dignified way, more so than someone like Teddy Riley or Timbaland. Third, we are nearly 14 years removed from MJ and have yet to experience any insight into the quality of his post-trial songwriting. Any sort of glimpse is tantalizing to me, no matter how fleeting or adjusted it is. If the two options are “never hear this material” or “hear this material with posthumously-completed production and a fill-in vocalist,” I’m baffled that anyone would choose the former. Of course everyone here would prefer the unadjusted demos, but if the estate won’t release them (and all signs suggest as much), what’s the next best route?

With respect to you, comments like this are why I feel this community is exhausting. All I’ve seen in this thread is intrigue at the album’s concept, excitement at the name’s attached, and interest in how it will play out, all while acknowledging the pitfalls and “what if’s.” And yet so many here and on Twitter feel the need to say, “How can any of you be excited about this? Why can’t they release THIS?” It’s just a constant stream of complaints and negativity and pessimism, even when (so far as we know) it’s not an estate-affiliated endeavor and is made as a genuine labor of love. I’m not saying anyone is required to like it, but at least let us discuss, hypothesize, and speculate without being made to feel like we’re in the wrong because of it.

I wouldn’t call any of this discussion confidence as much as curiosity.
That's definitely the space I'm in with regard to this project. I'm somewhat baffled but mostly curious and a little bit hopeful.

First, the initial press release touts it as an independent project overseen by MJ’s collaborators. I’d think the absence of any estate micromanaging would be appealing to everyone, though this is still to be seen.
That is SO appealing. MJE either doesn't understand artistic projects or doesn't care. So if they stay away from it, other than granting the necessary legal permissions, I'm fine with that.

If the two options are “never hear this material” or “hear this material with posthumously-completed production and a fill-in vocalist,” I’m baffled that anyone would choose the former.
I'm not someone who has any interest in incomplete songs being 'finished'. I really don't want that. But a one-off project like this does sound intriguing. I like this idea better than just a bunch of people covering songs that are already out there. As a tribute to Michael, at least it's a little bit different, it's a bit more creative.

Of course everyone here would prefer the unadjusted demos, but if the estate won’t release them (and all signs suggest as much), what’s the next best route?
Good question. I wish I knew. Perhaps people are tired of waiting for MJE to take the initiative on certain types of (non-commercial) projects and are moving forward with their own ideas. Pure speculation on my part but MJE doesn't seem to have any interest in smaller, more creative projects.

even when (so far as we know) it’s not an estate-affiliated endeavor and is made as a genuine labor of love.
Based on what we know - which isn't much and hasn't been officially confirmed, as far as I know - it does have that feel about it.

"A total of thirteen completed and unfinished songs were left at Grouse Lodge, which served as Michael's sanctuary during his career. The original producers have recently reunited to complete the album, and Warner Music will distribute physical copies of both the album and soundtrack exclusively to NFT holders. This NFT project serves as a testament to Michael Jackson's timeless impact and legacy, uniting fans and artists alike in their love for the King of Pop."

It seems that Fandom is a company that mainly deals with NFT and stuff like that :/

"Fandom Studio curates and directly invests in IPs to develop them as NFT products to increase engagement with consumers and create higher demand. We leverages the power of NFT in the content industry by developing a comprehensive strategy. The content strategy we develop is flexible enough to work for any business, regardless of its industry, products, or resources."

Threw my response in the spoiler tag to prevent any disinterested users from scrolling past a wall of text lol.

I think it’s incredibly disingenuous to say that “fans will support anything” when every single project released since MJ’s death has been met with everything from casual irritation to scathing condemnation. I wouldn’t call any of this discussion confidence as much as curiosity.

First, the initial press release touts it as an independent project overseen by MJ’s collaborators. I’d think the absence of any estate micromanaging would be appealing to everyone, though this is still to be seen. Secondly, it’s rather obvious that the material wouldn’t be exactly as MJ had left it; I don’t think anyone has contested that point. But the producers involved have demonstrated (at least in my opinion) that they are willing and capable of handling material in a respectful, dignified way, more so than someone like Teddy Riley or Timbaland. Third, we are nearly 14 years removed from MJ and have yet to experience any insight into the quality of his post-trial songwriting. Any sort of glimpse is tantalizing to me, no matter how fleeting or adjusted it is. If the two options are “never hear this material” or “hear this material with posthumously-completed production and a fill-in vocalist,” I’m baffled that anyone would choose the former. Of course everyone here would prefer the unadjusted demos, but if the estate won’t release them (and all signs suggest as much), what’s the next best route?

With respect to you, comments like this are why I feel this community is exhausting. All I’ve seen in this thread is intrigue at the album’s concept, excitement at the name’s attached, and interest in how it will play out, all while acknowledging the pitfalls and “what if’s.” And yet so many here and on Twitter feel the need to say, “How can any of you be excited about this? Why can’t they release THIS?” It’s just a constant stream of complaints and negativity and pessimism, even when (so far as we know) it’s not an estate-affiliated endeavor and is made as a genuine labor of love. I’m not saying anyone is required to like it, but at least let us discuss, hypothesize, and speculate without being made to feel like we’re in the wrong because of it.

I haven't tried to make anyone feel like anything lol. I just don't understand fans supporting an MJ project that is unlikely to even have anything MJ worked on in it.

I already said I'm happy if others can be excited about it, doesn't mean I understand why.

I will be very happy to be totally wrong, hopefully we get more info soon.

I agree the fans comment I made was a bit over the top.

Last edited:
I haven't tried to make anyone feel like anything lol. I just don't understand fans supporting an MJ project that is unlikely to even have anything MJ worked on in it.

I already said I'm happy if others can be excited about it, doesn't mean I understand why.

I will be very happy to be totally wrong, hopefully we get more info soon.

I agree the fans comment I made was a bit over the top.
Yeah, I know you specifically aren’t in that camp. I’ve seen too many comments on Twitter and other socials though filled with shame towards anyone who might express any enthusiasm though.

I can see your skepticism for sure. I just think there is so much potential here for something interesting and exciting.

Willing and Waiting is still a great song and MJ basically hated it lol. Basically never touched it, and some people have the gall to rate it higher than Invincible tracks. So some people can't make up their minds, and, in truth, good music is good music, and when it hits, it really hits, regardless. And every Estate Project, no matter how mishandled or not, has had at least 1 moment of that.

"A total of thirteen completed and unfinished songs were left at Grouse Lodge, which served as Michael's sanctuary during his career. The original producers have recently reunited to complete the album, and Warner Music will distribute physical copies of both the album and soundtrack exclusively to NFT holders. This NFT project serves as a testament to Michael Jackson's timeless impact and legacy, uniting fans and artists alike in their love for the King of Pop."

It seems that Fandom is a company that mainly deals with NFT and stuff like that :/

"Fandom Studio curates and directly invests in IPs to develop them as NFT products to increase engagement with consumers and create higher demand. We leverages the power of NFT in the content industry by developing a comprehensive strategy. The content strategy we develop is flexible enough to work for any business, regardless of its industry, products, or resources."
Still, it's interesting that Fandom official website mentions 13 songs.

"Warner Music will distribute physical copies of both the album and soundtrack". That's pretty confusing lol. Maybe the original MJ songs and the covers sung by other singers?

I doubt it completely that they'll include the original versions of the songs, will.i.am will be on this project and he's been saying for 10 or so years that he won't release the songs he made with MJ because MJ isn't here to give his input. Unless if the hypocrite changed his mind once again it's pretty unlikely that we'll get MJ's versions. Hopefully mkgenie simply misunderstood that Will is on this album like it's been said here already because I'm DYING to hear what kind of sound MJ was making at the time.

I doubt it completely that they'll include the original versions of the songs, will.i.am will be on this project and he's been saying for 10 or so years that he won't release the songs he made with MJ because MJ isn't here to give his input. Unless if the hypocrite changed his mind once again it's pretty unlikely that we'll get MJ's versions. Hopefully mkgenie simply misunderstood that Will is on this album like it's been said here already because I'm DYING to hear what kind of sound MJ was making at the time.
He said he'll do it if Katherine gave her blessing. And nobody said he was tryna release the MJ vocals, just using the song.

Back