New Ghosts 1993 Footage

@LindavG

I agree with you on the Shana story, the watermark and not contacting his mom etc. but that footage WAS meant for publication at the time. You see the clear footnotes, edits, markings and different camera angles as if they were doing takes for a production/campaign of some sorts. It's not that hard to tell so that shows it's not just a private recording of them hanging out.

@SrananKing

- The Jacksons tours: Money plays an issue, but I believe some of the Jackson brothers have had quarries over how the Estate have handled some of Michael's affairs, not letting them have say in various releases etc.

- Short films in HD: Lmao my comments are not invalid, if anything your comments are invalid. Go re-read my last post.

Movie studios can crank out classic movie after classic movie because it's a DIFFERENT process for a number of reasons, their entire production process was done utilising the original film negatives. Casablanca was shot on 35mm and the 35mm negatives were directly cut and assembled. Warner Brothers have the entire reel of the film sitting in pristine condition. It's relatively straight forward to dig it up, re-scan the film and remaster it (well, I mean it is a complicated process but you know). Similarly that's why Moonwalker was so quick to be released onto Blu-ray, because Warner Brothers had a reel of the final cut in 35mm. From what I understand, and from what most evidence points to, most of Michael Jackson's short films were shot on film, but once they hit post-production they transferred working on the film to tape format. Tape is only standard definition, which was perfect for where the films were going to end up (on MTV), as well as home video formats at the time (VHS and later DVD).

This means the masters of the final cuts of the films only exist in tape format. If they want to create new masters in high definition, they literally have to reassemble the films from scratch, from the original 35mm film negatives (which could be anywhere). Of course, like I said earlier, this is assuming they have all the relevant documentation such as EDL's to indicate which takes where used and when, and that they have these exact takes on film, otherwise it will take a lot longer.

If they had access to the short films in 35mm, we would've seen the Bad short films represented in HD in Bad 25, but no! There is a reason why whenever they showed snippets from the final product they switched to tape-grade footage! You honestly don't think the Estate discussed with Mr. Scorsese, Mr. Lee and the like in regards to what material they might have that's relevant to Bad 25?

Additionally, Michael was known to be sporadic with his archiving habits. Movie studios, on the other hand, are far more rigorous in their archiving habits.

- BTS footage: The Bad tours were shot in professional format (often 35mm) that is correct, but it's just a question of where all these negatives actually are and to what concerts they correspond to. I would've loved to see more BTS footage in the OTW documentary but I can't imagine at the time they were shooting a lot of BTS footage anyway, so it sucks but I don't think there's much anything can be done about that.

- New songs: I mean, once again, that's the fans fault for listening to leaked material if it's 'spoiled' for them when it's finally released. Just because material's leaked doesn't mean the Estate shouldn't release it. I hold that view as someone who also heard most of Xscape's material before it was released, but it's actually by far the release I've enjoyed the most by the Estate. I think the contemporary mixes made it feel like new songs to me, ya know?

- Thriller/Ghosts HD: As mainstream standalone releases? No? The standard for mainstream releases these days tends to be about a minimum of 90 minutes of footage. As standalone releases, there is far too little content to make it worthwhile. You really think they're going to dedicate a Blu-ray to a 20 minute short film? Ghosts could be released in it's own set, but it'd need to have a nice amount of extra material to make it worth the standard Blu-ray price. I'd like a Thriller/Ghosts boxset tbh. Both are horror themed, Thriller can help draw in the more casual going public, and if you have Thriller + Making of Thriller + Ghosts + Making of Ghosts, you get a nice few hours of content.

As for Moonwalker, well that's a feature length film so of course that can be released in it's own right. As for Captain EO, they could produce a nice little boxset I reckon too. I think it'd go best in a Bad orientated boxset, but that's me.

-Thriller 3D: Did the Estate actually confirm this was happening? I have a feeling they did but I genuinely can't remember. John Landis has been talking it up but he doesn't speak for the Estate.

- Neverland: A little Michael Jackson store all the way out at Neverland would be impractical given it's location. I would love to see them improve the online store though... but then again I probably wouldn't buy anything from there hahaha.

There's a whole wealth of ideas that can still be done with Michael Jackson's works, but I'm quite satisfied with what we've received already and you know, it's only been 8 years. There's plenty of time for Michael Jackson releases to come (and I'm very young so I'm biased in the long-term thing, but if I were to be hit by a car tomorrow, the potential Michael Jackson releases I am about to miss out on wouldn't be remotely near the top of my list of things I'd miss or whatever). The way I see it, the best Michael Jackson material is all out there and released anyways. What's left to come is really just the icing on top I suppose.

The Michael Jackson Estate is a business at the end of the day. Successful businesses HAVE to think about the longterm and that's what Branca and McCain are doing, regardless of whether they'll be around to see it or not.

- New songs: 90% of fans I know personally who actually buy his albums had already heard all of the unreleased songs. Only 10% hadn't and most other people are not into MJ as much as to actually buy the records or play them years on end. I'm a life-time fan and collector and I buy almost everything they put out, this is why I feel so strong about stuff.

- Neverland: There should at least be a museum of some sorts where fans could visit. If Paisley Park is already turned into a museum where fans can buy tickets for a grand tour and even buy merchandise in a little shop, MJ fans should have the SAME DAMN THING. Just my 2 cents.

I do not really believe this... I do not know many/any who had heard Price of Fame, Abortion Papers, Don't be Messing 'Round, I'm so blue, Free, Hollywood Tonight, Best of Joy, Another Day, Behind the Mask, Much Too Soon, Love Never Felt So good, Chicago, Loving You etc. etc.

Yes - Hold My Hand, A Place With No Name, Slave To The Rhytm, Do You Know Where Your Children Are, Blue Gangsta and Xscape had leaked - and I love the way you love me had been released in demo version.

BUT - most of the material the Estate has released has been all new to everyone. - And just because a few fans have heard illegal leaks - does that mean The Estate should not release such amazing songs as Xscape, APWNN, Blue Gangsta etc. ?? most people who bought Xscape had for sure never heard any of the songs before.

About Neverland - The Estate wanted to make something like Graceland - but is was not possible due to the law in Santa Monica. - The infrastructure could not handle the traffic either I think. - But it was not The Estates fault Neverland can not open as a museum.

@Hess

You're talking about 30-50 years into the future? LMAO. Who's going to be around by then to even concern themselves with MJ concerts of the 70's or 80's? Tell me :rollin: If some unreleased Elvis or Beatles concert gets released right now, I'm not jumping up and down for joy. Why? Because I'm not very much into their music. Only REAL fans are literally dying to see that material so don't give me the ''long legacy'' theory, please. John Branca and mr. McClain aren't even going to be around to see that happen, do you honestly think they concern themselves with MJ's legacy 5 decades from now? I don't think so.

And please show me the source where MJ always said ''after a release take time of, disappear - make people wonder what's happening, make them hungry for more new material - and then release it.'' I'm very curious.

I sure hope the Estate think many decades into the future - because new MJ fans should hopefully continue to come for a very very long time.

For how long has Elvis been dead? - They still release new music - actually this year they released a new album with an orchestra or something. I am not an Elvis fan - but they keep releasing new stuff to keep an interest for Elvis - and the Estate should do the same.

I think actually he says it in the BAD25 doc ? I'm at work now - but if anyone knows please share. - I will look into it when I get home. But from the top of my head I think MJ says it also in BAD25 doc.

Shana posted a short clip of new never before seen MJ footage today and said to go to her blog to find the full length one.
I wasn't going to do that (give her blog clicks) so I found the full length version on YouTube posted by someone else.
Here it is along with her description.

In August 1993, I was in the middle of filming a short film with Michael Jackson called, "Is This Scary". Just before we filmed this scene, Michael learned of the ridiculous allegations of child abuse against him from The Chandlers. Michael was sad, devastated and ANGRY. In a strange twist of fate, in this scene, I and a few of the other actors had to stand on the other side of the camera, and yell names at him like "weirdo" and "freak" and say, "you're scaring our children". Michael could no longer hold his emotions in and he let all of his anger out in this scene.. These lines were not in the script. This is pure and real emotion from Michael, This is one of the last scenes he filmed before he became so sick and distraught that he couldn't continue. His life was never the same again.

Oh, my poor thing! My heart ached for him! :cry:

That's why I was content when I found out that disgusting snake had died of cancer. Hoping he was in sheer agony and excruciating pain. I wish that coward bastard, Jordan suffers before he dies too. They have Michael's death over their shoulders, they deserve nothing but contempt and loathing.

Last edited:
Back