Official: Ebola virus 'highly unlikely' to spread in US; 2 Americans infected to be brought to ATL

I think the reason people are so freaked out is because this outbreak is the biggest ever recorded. Thousands of people have already died and still, it isn't under control. Obesity and alcoholism and all that are not contagious and deaths occurring because of them are generally a result of one's poor judgment and decision making. You can't exactly decide to stop dying from Ebola. So that is not really the best thing to compare it too.

People should be scared, in my opinion. Not the hateful, paranoid stupid kind of scared, but the constructive type of scared. The kind that makes them want to do everything in their power to help manage this outbreak.
And I agree wholeheartedly with that. It's absolutely horrible and tragic and I'm proud of the doctors and nurses, and soldiers going to help. Unfortunately, I've seen too much of the paranoia and racism that goes along with this kind of thing and the media here seems to be playing it up.

Supposedly there's a one person infected here in my country. It may be true but the media are experts spreading panic and lies, that's why I'm still skeptical about it.

I love the Ebola cartoon. I'm going to send it to some crazy people I know.
(The people that won't get flu shots but are freaked out over Ebola).

:lmao: I've collected quite a bit of them, have been doing just that! I first heard of the virus when I was a kid in the 70s, then heard of more outbreaks over the decades, but that was in African countries, not the US or in Europe. We don't have an outbreak here as far as I'm concerned. So far the ONLY person that died from Ebola on US soil was that poor man from Liberia, Thomas Eric Duncan. He would have had a chance to survive it if the ER staff hadn't have sent him home (with a 103F temp). If he was isolated/quarantined in the hospital the first time he went there, he could have gotten treatment sooner.

Here you go, Barbee. Send these to your paranoid friends too. . . :hysterical:

EbolaKermitdiss_zps5422304f.jpg

CopskillmorethanEbola_zpsaed1af94.jpg

EbolaFoxNewsNativePeople_zps1b1504b4.jpg

EbolaopensforAnthraxlol_zps19ee5fec.jpg

EbolaparanoiaFoxNews_zps6a0d12f9.jpg

My mom, who's been through nursing school, mentioned this.

It is very unlikely for someone to catch Ebola, unless they have cracks in their skin, or it's passed through blood or bodily fluids. It isn't going to happen if you simply just share the air with someone.

That being said, I find it highly unlikely that I will catch this disease. I do have a weak immune system, but I don't think it's going to end up anywhere close by. The US government are too vigilant.

And here we GO: this nurse (who treated Ebola patients in Sierra Leone) is raising a stink about having to abide by the recommended 21 day quarantine for ANYONE returning to the States from the affected west African countries. This idiot is only thinking about herself, since she was in direct contact with people afflicted with the virus. She's threatening to sue the state of Maine and leave her home by Thursday in protest. So far she has tested negative for the virus, but that means nothing since the incubation period for developing it is still within the 21 days. Kaci Hickox is her name.

Here's the New York Times link: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/30/u...-ebola-quarantine-threatens-lawsuit.html?_r=0

Bushmeat Travels: Ebola in a Suitcase

Global wildlife trade contributes to the emergence and spread of infectious diseases. As the world’s largest importer of wildlife and wildlife products, the United States has minimal pathogen surveillance to rule out zoonotic agents from wildlife confiscated in airports. Illegal bushmeat imported into the United States is a conduit for the spread of pathogens, including the Ebola virus.

The tragic Ebola outbreak highlights the massive risk that zoonotic diseases, which transfer from animals to humans, pose for our society. Chimps share 98% of our genetic make-up. They are intelligent and social beings who form strong family bonds, protect each other from harm, and nurture their young. Because of our genetic similarity, Ebola has also devastated the chimp and gorilla populations.

In Africa, the forest is called the "bush" and wildlife, "bushmeat," including threatened and endangered species such as elephants, gorillas, chimpanzees, antelopes, and crocodiles. Habitat loss, often cited as wildlife’s primary threat, ranks second to commercial bushmeat hunting and trading, which pose a more significant and immediate threat to wildlife around the world. The growing logging industry, with its infrastructure of roads and trucks, links forests and hunters to cities and customers, further expanding the commercial bushmeat market and spread of diseases.

In 2007, the World Health Organization (WHO) warned that infectious diseases are emerging at a rapid rate. New viruses appear while older viruses genetically change, recombine with other pathogens, or evade our immune system (e.g. swine and bird flu of the past decade). Approximately 75% of new diseases in humans are spread by contact with animals.

This bushmeat crisis is also a human tragedy. Bushmeat consumption is linked to deadly diseases such as HIV/AIDS, SARS, and Ebola. Viral chatter occurs when a virus jumps from a wild animal to a person. After entering the human body, the virus mutates, making transmission easier and more deadly. By monitoring viral chatter, scientists can discover trends earlier and prevent future diseases like Ebola from infecting humans. The tragic public heath story of HIV also originated from a virus that transferred from animals to humans via bushmeat. Scientists now postulate that humans contracted HIV by eating a Sooty Manguebey monkey infected with Simian Deficiency Virus (SIV). After mutating, SIV became HIV.

Global viral forecasting is more important today than ever before. When people travel, bushmeat travels with them in luggage or an ice cooler, thereby spreading viruses. According to a 2011 report by Government Accountability Organization (GAO), 55 million pounds of bushmeat enters the United States illegally each year.

There are only a few U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service (USFWS) agents working at airports, so very few pieces of luggage are screened. Other agencies responsible for enforcing import restrictions are the Food and Drug Administration (FDA), from a human health view; the U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA), from an agricultural view concerned with animal diseases; and U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP), responsible for coordinating all four agencies.

Despite the fact that four agencies enforce import restrictions on illegally imported animal products, viruses still travel into the United States via bushmeat hidden inside luggage. These agencies need better protocols to work together efficiently.
https://secure2.convio.net/ida/site...8BC29ABE.app263b?pagename=homepage&page=UserA

Sadly, the Ebola fighting methods here couldn't help this Sierra Leone surgeon (who was a legal resident of the United States and lived in the state of Maryland). His condition was too advanced (kidney failure) when he was flown to Nebraska for treatment. Dr. Martin Salia passed away Monday morning. He was working in his native country when he contracted the virus. He initially tested negative for Ebola, then came down with the severe symptoms of it a week or so later. He is the second person to die from Ebola on US soil, the first being Liberian native, Thomas Eric Duncan (in Dallas, Texas). :(

New York Times link: http://www.nytimes.com/2014/11/18/us/martin-salia-omaha-ebola-dead.html?ref=health&_r=0

Last edited:
Personally, I think the worry is unwarranted. Since it's not airborne, it's highly unlikely that it would pose a real issue. It's good to know when there are cases, though. Personally, I think most of the stories are used to cause panic. It seems like a ploy to get everyone's mind off of more important issues. Sorry if that sound a conspiracy theory kind of thing.

Back