On the linguistics of Michael Jackson

English is not my mother tongue, but I always assumed that MJ pronounced some words "wrong" on purpose (like kid: "shed", come on: "shamon" etc) - is this slang or did he make it up? I also noticed that he sometimes says "e/i" instead of "a" (any: "eny", many: "meny") - I guess that's some kind of an accent?

@Agonum Thanks, right It was strange to me too because i never heard M ever say that. Clearly the article was written by some young journalist i'm sure. (there's loads i could say on that )
However , I think it's certainly a newer phrase ? I have a fantastic thesaurus of slang from that time period... and nope it is not in there as reference haha and as i said i have never heard him use that. and if i can recall not even in the 2005 interview with Geraldo did he say any phrase like that? "the album is coming out / will be coming out " he would always say otherwise?
Anyhow Thanks for getting it. 🤩
“The album will drop” is not Michael’s jargon, no. It’s Teddy Riley’s! Or even MC Hammer’s!

“Come out” or “release” is what he’d say, you are absolutely right.

I get worked up, too, when I realize people are putting words in his mouth!

English is not my mother tongue, but I always assumed that MJ pronounced some words "wrong" on purpose (like kid: "shed", come on: "shamon" etc) - is this slang or did he make it up? I also noticed that he sometimes says "i" instead of "e" or "a" and "e" (any: "eny") - I guess that's some kind of an accent?
“Chid” and “shamone” are palatalizations. See the first post!

The second thing you’re mentioning is a feature found in many English accents called the pin/pen merger, where “pen” is pronunced “pin” and vice versa.

The second thing you’re mentioning is a feature found in many English accents called the pin/pen merger, where “pen” is pronunced “pin” and vice vers
Thank you for the explanation! Just read on quora: ‘SHAMONE.’ It is really… ‘CHUM ON.’ It is a black/southern,’ dialect/colloquialism for: ‘come on,’ or ‘c'mon.’

Last edited:
“The album will drop” is not Michael’s jargon, no. It’s Teddy Riley’s! Or even MC Hammer’s!

“Come out” or “release” is what he’d say, you are absolutely right.

I get worked up, too, when I realize people are putting words in his mouth!
Yeah thanks @Agonum. Was pretty happy when you noticed my post there , And with your knowledge on this subject.. Ah,
well, that is a true compliment and i have to say i was thrilled.
Yessss 'release'... that's it ! That is the other word i was hunting for. Exactly 🤗

The second thing you’re mentioning is a feature found in many English accents called the pin/pen merger, where “pen” is pronunced “pin” and vice versa.
The pin/pen merger melts me every time. I find it the most alluring ...I love this thread.

The pin/pen merger melts me every time. I find it the most alluring ...I love this thread.
I have a weakness for it, too! Although my favourite has to be the monophthongization (ungliding) of /aj/.

Double negatives ⁽ᵂᵏᵖ·⁾ resolving to a simple negative is a common feature of African American English (in the US, it is also commonly observed in Southern American English; in the UK, it is observed in various regional dialects), whereas in Standard English it is understood to resolve to a positive. With Michael, you will see it perhaps most prominently in the title of A Place with No Name.

More examples from Michael are welcome.

Double negatives ⁽ᵂᵏᵖ·⁾ resolving to a simple negative is a common feature of African American English (in the US, it is also commonly observed in Southern American English; in the UK, it is observed in various regional dialects), whereas in Standard English it is understood to resolve to a positive. With Michael, you will see it perhaps most prominently in the title of A Place with No Name.

More examples from Michael are welcome.
heres an example.

I ...ME! meaning .... it's for me. I win babe

Double negatives ⁽ᵂᵏᵖ·⁾ […]

A few more examples (italicized), from the albums Bad (1987), and Dangerous (1991):
Ain’t nobody’s business
Ain’t nobody’s business
Ain’t nobody’s business
but mine and my baby
The Way You Make Me Feel (1987)​

Ain’t nothin’ gonna stop me
Ain’t no stop and go

I’m speedin’ on the midway
I gotta really burn this road
Speed Demon (1987)​

Time after time, I gave you all of my money
No excuses to make
Ain’t no mountain that I can’t climb, baby
All is goin’ my way
Leave Me Alone (1987)​

I told my brothers, ‘don’t you ask me for no favors
I’m conditioned by the system, don’t you talk to me, don’t scream and shout’
Jam (1991)​

They print my message in the Saturday Sun
I had to tell ’em I ain’t second to none
[…]
I ain’t scared of your brother
I ain’t scared of no sheets
I ain’t scared of nobody

Girl, when the goin’ gets mean
Black or White (1991)​

Who is it?
Is it a friend of mine?
Who is it?
Is it my brother?
Who is it?
Somebody hurt my soul now
Who is it?
I can’t take this stuff no more
Who Is It? (1991)​

A few more examples (italicized), from the albums Bad (1987), and Dangerous (1991):

The Way You Make Me Feel (1987)

Speed Demon (1987)

Leave Me Alone (1987)

Jam (1991)

Black or White (1991)

Who Is It? (1991)​
Wow -you're so good at this. Are you a linguist?

Back