'One Night Only' Rehearsal Footage of Childhood

The hype for this in the fandom at the time was through the roof, and as we can see by the current posts, it still is, so call me senile, but can anyone job my memory as to why this wasn't postponed and put on at a later date as opposed to flat out cancelled?

It's not known really. But i can imagine, whether or not Michaels collapse was real, that when it got serious, he was not too sure anymore, about all the completely new performances to his classics, that they rehearsed. He probably got pushed in that direction, and then realized to late that it's no good. At least later on he never made any drastic changes to the performance of his hits.

Last edited:
I didn't know people are questioning if it was real.

I guess the fact that the concert never was resheduled contributed to those speculations. However the detailed rehearsals report we had recently also included graphic details of his breakdown, so going from that, it very likely was real.

I guess the fact that the concert never was resheduled contributed to those speculations. However the detailed rehearsals report we had recently also included graphic details of his breakdown, so going from that, it very likely was real.

Also what the doctor said in the hospital.

I don't know why people never want to believe MJ about health issues. As if he cannot have health issues.

It's sad indeed some of Michael's fans have doubts regarding his health issues. Why would he need to lie about being sick? He was putting together the special, he invested money on it, ergo he wanted to do it. Probably HBO didn't want to invest money again.

Of course, Michael did have 'serious' health issues cause he's only human.
He collapsed during rehearsals and 911 'saved' him there.
He was riddled with Infections and had to stay about 5 days in ICU so we almost lost him there.

I didn't even care about the HBO special. I just worried about his health :blush:

Daryll748;4104327 said:
Of course, Michael did have 'serious' health issues cause he's only human.
He collapsed during rehearsals and 911 'saved' him there.
He was riddled with Infections and had to stay about 5 days in ICU so we almost lost him there.

I didn't even care about the HBO special. I just worried about his health :blush:

Add, also, all those times that MJ had to get back to his hotel in an ambulance (instead of his personal limousine) after his shows during the ‘Dangerous’ Tour (1992).

KOPV;4104206 said:
^ I agree.. This and This Is It!

there has always been intrigue by fans to see MJ perform things in eras an looks we've never seen.. That's part of the reason the Brunei concert was such a big deal among fans to see.. See him in the history era perform things like Human Nature, Jam, Man In The Mirror...

the HBO special would have been amazing, not only for the reason mentioned above, I have considered that time frame to be Michaels most CRISP movements as far a dance... The collectiveness on how his style evolved through the years in my opinion reached a special peak around this time...

Regarding the ‘One Night Only’ show, many people speculated (& still do) that MJ faked his collapse for a number of reasons (to gain attention, sympathy, etc.). In my opinion, this is the type of people who find pleasure in trying to make MJ look incapable, vulnerable, unreliable, etc. Many of them are still poking fun at him in a very blatant way & this shows exactly their (low) intellectual level. So, obviously I am going to ignore all of them.

Personally, I doubt that MJ would have resort to such a fake/cheap attempt. He was about to embark on a giant world tour & I think it would have been unwise to give such a negative impression (prior to his forthcoming tour) for many serious reasons (insurance issues, uncertainty among people/fans, etc).

Regarding the ‘This is it’ residency shows, I firmly believe that MJ was made to rush things & that eventually cost him his life. It is common knowledge that MJ was always being plagued by health problems & was on meditation for many years even before 2009. Also, I am not exactly sure if Joe Jackson would have saved him if he knew the exact circumstances of the preparations/rehearsals & was not being cut off from MJ (as he officially stated a few years ago).

Additionally, I think that MJ’s self-confidence, at the early stages of the ‘This is it’ rehearsals, reached its nadir. But, I believe that if the official shows were in full progress, he would have gradually regained his lost self-confidence. It was meant the biggest comeback in music history & there is no doubt that he would have swept the board.

To sum up, I think that the root of the problem (concerning these two ill-fated shows) is that MJ rushed things at almost any cost & performing took precedence over his health.

Not only that, we have proof the collapse wasn't staged.

“He was already feeling ill and had been sick for a few days,” recalls Lather, who had camera blocked his new “Thriller” performance with Jackson onstage earlier that day. “Later that afternoon when we were doing additional camera blocking, he collapsed on stage and had to immediately go to the hospital.”

While Lather says that Jackson had been feeling unwell for a few days, Marceau, who was also rehearsing with Jackson in the days leading to his collapse, and was present to witness it, did not detect any ailment on Jackson’s part.

“I would have noticed something,” recalled Marceau. “There was no sign that he was on the verge of a crisis… I was in the Beacon Theatre, watching the [rehearsals], which were wonderful. Michael was on stage with about fifteen dancers. At one point I turned away to get something to drink and then, suddenly, there was a great silence. He stopped everything. Just before the music was loud, the lights flash, and then, in a moment there was total silence, it was as if the world had come to an end.”

“We were all standing on stage,” remembers Smith, “and saw him walk to the front of the stage and go down, hitting his face on the grating of the stage.”

“He had both hands by his side, with the microphone in one, and fell face-first onto the metal grate,” recalls Michael Prince, one of the show’s sound engineers. “He didn’t even put his hands out to break his fall. It was scary. And he fell down hard. I’m surprised he didn’t break his nose or his jaw on the grate.”

The metal grate is part of the stage that is specially built into the floor. Jackson uses this to create an effect in certain numbers, including “Black or White,” with bright light, wind, and smoke blasting out from beneath him. Witnesses recall that it was during camera blocking for “Black or White” that Jackson’s collapse took place.

“He was out,” says Margolis. “He fell so hard, and smacked his head on the grates so hard, that he was out cold.”

“He had collapsed, lost consciousness, and was on the floor,” recalled Marceau. “We were all petrified. There were people around him, he did not move at all. Paramedics arrived, and when I saw the stage I was very scared.”

“His bodyguards rushed over and formed a protective circle around him, holding their jackets up to give him some privacy,” says Prince. “Someone yelled for an ambulance and, within minutes, one arrived.”

Source: http://goo.gl/8Bn6Bo

mj_frenzy;4104334 said:
Regarding the ‘One Night Only’ show, many people speculated (& still do) that MJ faked his collapse for a number of reasons (to gain attention, sympathy, etc.).

The only ones I have heard say that were the media and the tabloids.. I think I have never come across a fan (Hardcore or regular), or just a regular person that ever expressed a belief that MJ faked his accident. Also there were a lot of people there present + it was all caught on tape. If he faked it I think something or someone would have came forward and said something about it.

To be honest, the idea that he would have faked that collapse to gain attention and sympathy doesn't even make sense..

Last edited:
The only ones I have heard say that were the media and the tabloids.. I think I have never come across a fan (Hardcore or regular), or just a regular person that ever expressed a belief that MJ faked his accident. Also there were a lot of people there present + it was all caught on tape. If he faked it I think something or someone would have came forward and said something about it.

To be honest, the idea that he would have faked that collapse to gain attention and sympathy doesn't even make sense..

There are numerous things that people (fans, non-fans, media, press, etc.) have said about him that do not make sense.

There are numerous things that people (fans, non-fans, media, press, etc.) have said about him that do not make sense.
Ok let's see

Hey Let's do a series of concerts in my country where I haven't performed for 6 years and make millions of dollars and sell out shows and create mass hysteria

vs

Hey let's fake an accident so I can get institutionalized in a hospital, lose millions of dollars, lose investors and lose the good will of some of the people in the states so people can feel sorry for me.. Hmm yeah, logical.

People that do think that he faked it for sympathy needs to get a reality check

There are several sources confirming he was really ill: the doctor from the hospital, now we have quotes above from Marcel Marceau and others above. I'd hope that would be enough to convince fans that MJ did not fake anything.

People that do think that he faked it for sympathy needs to get a reality check

I do not think that these people need to get a reality check. Generally speaking, this is the type of people who (frivolously) jump to conclusions very easily &, personally, it does not surprise me.

In any case, for those who have (still) doubts:

BW: Will you ever do this show for HBO one day?
M: No, I don’t think so, I worked so much to prepare that show, there was such a pressure, people pushing me to do this show no matter what! Then finally, the nature took its course and said, “stop”, she decided I shouldn’t do that show…

media_xl_947805.jpg

You know what would've been great? Working One Night Only routines into This Is It. That would've been awesome. Maybe for the second leg...

Back