Opinions on "Hot Street"?

I was coming here to type this bro.

I've got nothing against Hot Street, I just see why it wasn't released. Songs like this are why I'm glad Mike took charge of songwriting duties post Thriller

Mike liked Hot Street, if remember correctly he mentioned it in the 93 Mexico Deposition and said "I liked it but they didn't think it was strong enough"
You need to chill lol. Rod Temperton was one of the best songwriters of all time in my opinion with ZERO credit in the public eye. In fact I’d say without Rod, Michael would not be as big, his contributions were INSANE on OTW and Thriller! So even though I love Michael’s self written songs as well and I’m glad he started gaining more confidence in that aspect because he was incredible as well and became just as good in his own right. Rod was the unsung hero of those two albums and blended very well with Michael! In fact I’m sad they didn’t work together more frequently.

Midwestcowboy, to say that the Thriller outtakes were the worst is just ridiculous and you need to take a time out from this forum and sit in a corner to reflect on your silly take.

Niteline
Hot Street
Got The Hots
Carousel
Behind The Mask
Who Do You Know
Trouble
PYT (demo)

Some SERIOUS bangers and could have easily been a follow up album before bad because these went to waste. I hope to hear more of the demos from this era because they’re incredible! Still want to hear Rolling the Dice!!! 🎲

You need to chill lol. Rod Temperton was one of the best songwriters of all time in my opinion with ZERO credit in the public eye. In fact I’d say without Rod, Michael would not be as big, his contributions were INSANE on OTW and Thriller! So even though I love Michael’s self written songs as well and I’m glad he started gaining more confidence in that aspect because he was incredible as well and became just as good in his own right. Rod was the unsung hero of those two albums and blended very well with Michael! In fact I’m sad they didn’t work together more frequently.

Midwestcowboy, to say that the Thriller outtakes were the worst is just ridiculous and you need to take a time out from this forum and sit in a corner to reflect on your silly take.

Niteline
Hot Street
Got The Hots
Carousel
Behind The Mask
Who Do You Know
Trouble
PYT (demo)

Some SERIOUS bangers and could have easily been a follow up album before bad because these went to waste. I hope to hear more of the demos from this era because they’re incredible! Still want to hear Rolling the Dice!!! 🎲

No one here is disregarding the work and value Rod brought to the table. What are you on about?

I should have been clear (even though I was mentioning sifting through 100 songs) I was taking about the songs he recorded by outside writers. Nitline, Got the hots and Trouble are very weak songs in my opinion and had absolutely no place on Thriller or any other album. Carousel is okay I guess and I like Hot street (I called it a good song). btw there is no one that can convince me that WDYK is a true Thriller outtake. They absolutely did the right call with the songs they chose for Thriller.

No one here is disregarding the work and value Rod brought to the table. What are you on about?

Smoothcriminal1995 said

“Songs like this (Hot Street) are why I'm glad Mike took charge of songwriting duties post Thriller.”

I.E. I said put some respect on Rod’s name because he wrote some bangers that ultimately (arguably) helped make Michael’s career. It’s implying that it’s not a great song and that Michael’s self penned tunes are superior to others written contributions and I just have to disagree outright. I think Mike and Rod on the same level, both immensely talented, but as I said I wish Michael had worked with Rod more.

Smoothcriminal1995 said

“Songs like this (Hot Street) are why I'm glad Mike took charge of songwriting duties post Thriller.”

I.E. I said put some respect on Rod’s name because he wrote some bangers that ultimately (arguably) helped make Michael’s career. It’s implying that it’s not a great song and that Michael’s self penned tunes are superior to others written contributions and I just have to disagree outright. I think Mike and Rod on the same level, both immensely talented, but as I said I wish Michael had worked with Rod more.
I'm not saying Rod didn't write great music, not only for Michael, but throughout his whole career. Rod was an expert writer.

But for me personally I think some of the outtakes that were brought to the table during Thriller, weren't strong enough to be recorded, let alone seriously considered.

I think Mike did the correct thing taking charge of writing duties when did, because his songs seemed to have more an unexpected interesting quality to them. It's no disrespect to Rod whatsoever, people are allowed to have differing opinions mate

Smoothcriminal1995 said

Well that is your own inference. Nowhere in Smoothcriminal1995 post did he say that Michael’s self penned tunes are superior to ‘others written contributions’, but he did specifically say “Songs like Hot Street”. It’s like you can’t accept the notion that Rod could write a bad song.

Here’s the thing, I can only speak for myself but I love Lady In My Life, Baby Be Mine, Thriller etc but without MJ’s self penned songs Thriller would not have been the Thriller that garnered so much adulation and recognition. Imagine if MJ released Thriller with minimal to no self penned songs and substituted them with songs like NiteLine, Trouble, Got The Hots, Hot Street/Slapstick. I’m glad we don’t live in an alternate reality so I wont ever have to find out lol.

Last edited:
I can see why it wasn't released but it's the strongest outtake I've heard from MJ.

Reactions: MJ5
Well that is your own inference. Nowhere in Smoothcriminal1995 post did he say that Michael’s self penned tunes are superior to ‘others written contributions’, but he did specifically say “Songs like Hot Street”. It’s like you can’t accept the notion that Rod could write a bad song.

Here’s the thing, I can only speak for myself but I love Lady In My Life, Baby Be Mine, Thriller etc but without MJ’s self penned songs Thriller would not have been the Thriller that garnered so much adulation and recognition. Imagine if MJ released Thriller with minimal to no self penned songs and substituted them with songs like NiteLine, Trouble, Got The Hots, Hot Street/Slapstick. I’m glad we don’t live in an alternate reality so I wont ever have to find out lol.
I think you and Smooth took my initial post a bit serious, I was mostly poking fun at you two and telling you to put some respect on Rod’s name, that’s all. I totally see where you’re both coming from, I just think you’re nuts lol

Back