Opinions on "Hot Street"?

BadAtGames42749

The one, and only, Le Sha'mone!
Country
United-States
I, personally, love the song. It has a happy, uplifting beat to it and it makes me want to dance along. The lyrics are great, the instrumental is brilliant, and the track was finished and ready for release. But, regardless of that, it was rejected from "Thriller". Its predecessor "Slapstick" is good in its own way, but I like "Hot Street" much more. MUCH, much more. But, I want to hear the people's voices regarding the track.

Michael has had some incredible cuts not make the final albums and most of the time you enjoy them but can see why. However Hot Street is one where Iā€™m genuinely perplexed at what Rod and Quincy were thinking by not including it! Ive said it before and Iā€™ll say it again, as much as I love Baby Be Mine, Hot Street is much stronger and should have replaced it, it surely would have been a No. 1 single! Got The Hots as well I think would have been a smash with a little more fine tuning, but Hot Street was perfect!!

I'd put Hot Street between Human Nature and P.Y.T.
In Human Nature Michael is looking out across the nighttime and in Hot Street he is in the streets, feeling the night beat

1. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
2. Baby Be Mine
3. The Girl Is Mine
4. Thriller
5. Beat It
6. Billie Jean
7. Human Nature
8. Hot Street
9. P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)
10. The Lady In My Life

Last edited:
Great song. I wouldā€™ve put it in between Baby Be Mine and The girl is mine. This would for me be the perfect tracklist (which Thriller already was), but sadly you could only fit about 40-45 minutes on vinyl and make it sound good. I donā€™t know what I would take off of the album for it. I do still think Hot Street deserves an official release and Iā€™m certain it will some day (if Quincy finally approves).

I'd put Hot Street between Human Nature and P.Y.T.
In Human Nature Michael is looking out across the nighttime and in Hot Street he is in the streets, feeling the night beat

1. Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
2. Baby Be Mine
3. The Girl Is Mine
4. Thriller
5. Beat It
6. Billie Jean
7. Human Nature
8. Hot Street
9. P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)
10. The Lady In My Life
Hot Street was initially on the LPs A side

I love that song! And it derserves a release.

I still hope the estate releases an '80s project & album with Thriller outtakes. This can be very creative (not in the estates dictionary) project and can also gain more attention to releases of prior unreleased (new) songs.
After all, Xscape in 2014 was also decently succesfull, we had a video project, the hologram, etc.

I wouldnt even mind if they would include some (better quality) or reworked versions of demo's from Thriller40 to create a full album.

Maybe they could combine a new '80s album with the 4k release of victory tour, possibly more footage of him (like in thriller40 doc) and a fan project / music video.

I guess that is what Thriller40 might should have looked like.

But I just know this aint gonna happen.

I love that song! And it derserves a release.

I still hope the estate releases an '80s project & album with Thriller outtakes. This can be very creative (not in the estates dictionary) project and can also gain more attention to releases of prior unreleased (new) songs.
After all, Xscape in 2014 was also decently succesfull, we had a video project, the hologram, etc.

I wouldnt even mind if they would include some (better quality) or reworked versions of demo's from Thriller40 to create a full album.

Maybe they could combine a new '80s album with the 4k release of victory tour, possibly more footage of him (like in thriller40 doc) and a fan project / music video.

I guess that is what Thriller40 might should have looked like.

But I just know this aint gonna happen.
If they just made another record like Xscape and Michael, but favoring obviously most of the strongest 80s & 90s cuts.

Buffalo Bill
Throwin' Your Life Away
Hot Street
Chicago 1945
Serious Effect
Dreams Away
Rocker
I Was The Loser

Thriller Outtakes which are pretty finished:

Nite Line
Sheā€™s Trouble
Carousel
Behind The Mask
Hot Street
Sunset Driver
Got The Hots
Love Never Felt So Good
PYT original version

This would have been a solid record (not a masterpiece) really damn solid but as a follow up to thriller it would have been badly received (probably and correctfully)

Love each of these tracks and these are only the ones we have heardā€¦

Post thriller/pre Bad recordings look pretty solid as well with Dreams Away, Chicago 1945, Buffalo Bill, Be Not Always, Scared Of The Moon, Another Part Of Me, Liberian Girl and likely a lot of others.

And then there is my personal fave Someone In The Dark which should have been the ET theme or credits song and I have a big suspicion that the 4 songs he created for the unmade Peter Pan film were magical as well.
Michael was really going hard late 70s early 80s

Slapstick is better than Hot Street. There, I said it.
I was coming here to type this bro.

I've got nothing against Hot Street, I just see why it wasn't released. Songs like this are why I'm glad Mike took charge of songwriting duties post Thriller

Mike liked Hot Street, if remember correctly he mentioned it in the 93 Mexico Deposition and said "I liked it but they didn't think it was strong enough"

Amen my man! It terrifies me to think about how Thriller could have ended up if they went with the wrong songs. Hot Street is good but I struggle to see how it wouldā€™ve fit on Thriller. The same things goes for behind the mask and Carousel. They made the right call in omitting those tracks from the record.

The Thriller outtakes are some of the worst songs Michael ever recorded. To think that they sifted through 100 of submissions to choose songs like Niteline, lol.

Last edited:
I love Hot Street but... what would it have added to Thriller? Rod Temperton's signature funky sound is already in Baby Be Mine, plus there's also PYT which has a fairly similar vibe. They were right not to include it, 9 is the perfect number of tracks and adding something else wasn't absolutely necessary.

Might be a good idea to create all your topics as polls, ie 'how good is ___?" 1, 2, 3, 4 etc.

Back