Overrated artists in your opinion?

Michaelsherry59

Proud Member
For me is Beyonce, Nirvana, Amy Winehouse, Janet Jackson.

What about you guys and gals?

Last edited:
There should be a Michael Jackson section,
Extra Big Alone in every record store!

And a crap section - all the rest!)
-Beavis & Butthead

Nah, even Michael get influences from others.
Just remember, thinking sometimes off a episode where B&B talk about a crap section.
🙂

For me its Adele. I don't know what people see in her, she sounds nasal and her music is bland.

Taylor Swift, just boring middle of the road country and wannabe pop songs about how men do her wrong (Yawn change the record).

Kanye West or Ye as he calls himself now - stopped being relevant in 2008

Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber et al type singers.

By the way Janet Jackson is NOT overrated - her music is amazing and stands the test of time. She is a Jackson after all. To me she is the package, love Michael, you must at least like her too.

For me its Adele. I don't know what people see in her, she sounds nasal and her music is bland.

Taylor Swift, just boring middle of the road country and wannabe pop songs about how men do her wrong (Yawn change the record).

Kanye West or Ye as he calls himself now - stopped being relevant in 2008

Selena Gomez, Justin Bieber et al type singers.

By the way Janet Jackson is NOT overrated - her music is amazing and stands the test of time. She is a Jackson after all. To me she is the package, love Michael, you must at least like her too.

So according to you I have to like Janet Jackson because she's a Jackson? You GenXer's are such brain-dead children. I almost forgot why I don't take music discussions with GenX'ers and Millennials seriously.

Everyone?)
Beside Michael.
Nah but there's some truths in what Beavis&Butthead said in a episode.
There should be a: crap section.
And a..
Michael Jackson.

Every single piece of new crap that the kids listen to at school
And every single 5 second song on tick tock they listen to
For me is Mariah Carey, Beyonce, Nirvana, Amy Winehouse, Janet Jackson
Janet isn't overrated to me, I actually think her music is quite good (this is my real opinion, not just because she is Michael's sister)

Elvis Presley. He's a talent singer and performer, but calling him ''The king of rock and roll'' or just simply ''The king'' is going too far. I think to be labeled something like that you need to write your own songs.

Eminem. He has talent (When he chooses to use it) but the only reason he got so popular was because of the controversy and shock value in his music.

I do not understand the hype for Eminem at all. I am not just saying that because i’m a moonwalker,i just don’t really feel the vibe when it comes to his songs.

Sure iconic don’t get me wrong. But would i listen to his songs on a daily basis? Nah.

But i do give him some props for growing up a bit. I believe he said during an interview that the reason why he’s not “old eminem” is because he learned to grow,if you will. And i think that is kinda nice.

But overall something about him just…doesn’t sit right with me. 🤐

The whole Jackson brothers act (J5), Janet and 3T stuff. Nobody seems to care about them apart from Michael’s fans.

The whole Jackson brothers act (J5), Janet and 3T stuff. Nobody seems to care about them apart from Michael’s fans.
I can agree except for the Janet part. She's a great singer as well with a decently large fanbase and she managed to earn her own reputation despite many thinking she'd always be under Michael's shadow, especially considering she debut when MJ was in the prime of his career.

Last edited:
I do not understand the hype for Eminem at all. I am not just saying that because i’m a moonwalker,i just don’t really feel the vibe when it comes to his songs.

Sure iconic don’t get me wrong. But would i listen to his songs on a daily basis? Nah.

But i do give him some props for growing up a bit. I believe he said during an interview that the reason why he’s not “old eminem” is because he learned to grow,if you will. And i think that is kinda nice.

But overall something about him just…doesn’t sit right with me. 🤐
It is ironic that the biggest contributing factor to Eminem's success is the large amount of hatred that he has got over the years.
I can agree except for the Janet part. She's a great singer as well with a decently large fanbase and she managed to earn her own reputation despite many thinking she'd always be under Michael's shadow, especially considering she debut when MJ was in the prime of his career.
That was actually a disadvantage for Janet Jackson because the bar was already set too high for her.

But she learned a lot of things from her brother Michael Jackson when they were very young.

Michael Jackson used to advise her about things, like how to form a successful musical career.

She later even surpassed him on certain aspects.

For example, she has been described as one of the most erotic performers of all time, and of course a more erotic performer than Michael Jackson.

Even her lyrics are generally bolder, more elaborate, more diverse and more meaningful compared to Michael Jackson (for instance the 'The Velvet Rope' album, released in 1997).

Also, she is better in acting, whereas Michael Jackson as an actor has never been taken seriously outside his fan base.

Jason Malachi, he can not compare to MJ yet they use his voice for MJ’s music. I call that overrating!

That was actually a disadvantage for Janet Jackson because the bar was already set too high for her.
It's what I meant, it was already a big order for her.

Also, she is better in acting, whereas Michael Jackson as an actor has never been taken seriously outside his fan base.
Pretty much. Even if MJ was a good actor you wouldn't be able to take him seriously because you'd see him as the "Michael Jackson" instead of the role he was playing. Being a producer was the best choice for him if he wanted to get into the film industry.

Pretty much. Even if MJ was a good actor you wouldn't be able to take him seriously because you'd see him as the "Michael Jackson" instead of the role he was playing. Being a producer was the best choice for him if he wanted to get into the film industry.
Hmm yes but for certain parts he would have been perfect. The cancelled Peter Pan film for example would have fitted MJ. If that had happenend and it was a success then maybe he could have ventured deeper into movie territory.
You pretty much could have put him in any musical and it would have worked but I’m happy it never happened because I’m not a big fan of musicals in general

Hmm yes but for certain parts he would have been perfect. The cancelled Peter Pan film for example would have fitted MJ. If that had happenend and it was a success then maybe he could have ventured deeper into movie territory.
You pretty much could have put him in any musical and it would have worked but I’m happy it never happened because I’m not a big fan of musicals in general
I actually think it would’ve been cringy to see him as Peter Pan/Spider Man

I actually think it would’ve been cringy to see him as Peter Pan/Spider Man
No I don’t see him as a spider man either but Peter Pan? Could have worked I guess, though I don’t know all that much about that character either. Why do you think it would be cringey?

I do honestly think he could act, performing is also acting and he was on so many tv shows during the 70s, doing sketches etc. Technically I don’t really see a problem.

It is also something you have to learn. Many of those 80s action heroes had no idea about acting either in the beginning. You need to watch Arnold Schwarzenegger in “Hercules in New York” 🤣 and compare it with his efforts in lets say “twins” or “Maggie”.

I loved Michael in The Wiz! He was so charismatic and just full of life. He completely dominated every scene he was in! But his fame was too immense after Thriller probably for him to have a true acting career.

Looking back at this post, maybe I shouldn't have names dropped Mariah Carey into this due to the fact that she isn't really a critically acclaimed artist like let's say Beyonce or Janet Jackson, The Beatles, Michael etc.

I'll edit her out.

Disagree. Janet was a big star from late 80s-early 00s before the superbowl incident ended her career as a popular mainstream artist. But she is regarded as one of the most influential artists of all time, male or female.

Even Jermaine had a decent solo career in the late 70s and early 80s. He scored a few minor hits.

Agree about the rest.

Jermaine scored 7 billboard top 40 hits two of which hit the top 10. One made the "transatlantic double" which I probably made up but it is a top 10 hit in both US and UK, namely "let's get serious". He also scored 3 top 40 albums in the US with one peaking at nr 6!
His biggest hit scored terrible in both the UK and US but became an evergreen and smash hit in Europe "when the rain begins to fall", there is no party out there without this song being played. Also "do what you do" was a top 10 hit all over Europe.
Had he be allowed to release "tell me I'm not dreaming" it would have been a top 10 hit as well as it was killing it on airplay in the US in 1984.

So this is by all means a very respectable solo career... Combine that with his J5 career and you have a legendary artist.

Janet Jackson is not even debatable she scored 7 US nr 1 albums, dozens of top 40 hits and 10!! nr 1 hits the US

3T's debut album was top 40 all over Europe, their song "anything" was a worldwide top 10 hit, "I need you" and "why" scored top 40 all over Europe as well.

So a bit of respect for the other Jacksons' career's would be not out of place imo

Jermaine scored 7 billboard top 40 hits two of which hit the top 10. One made the "transatlantic double" which I probably made up but it is a top 10 hit in both US and UK, namely "let's get serious". He also scored 3 top 40 albums in the US with one peaking at nr 6!
His biggest hit scored terrible in both the UK and US but became an evergreen and smash hit in Europe "when the rain begins to fall", there is no party out there without this song being played. Also "do what you do" was a top 10 hit all over Europe.
Had he be allowed to release "tell me I'm not dreaming" it would have been a top 10 hit as well as it was killing it on airplay in the US in 1984.

So this is by all means a very respectable solo career... Combine that with his J5 career and you have a legendary artist.

Janet Jackson is not even debatable she scored 7 US nr 1 albums, dozens of top 40 hits and 10!! nr 1 hits the US

3T's debut album was top 40 all over Europe, their song "anything" was a worldwide top 10 hit, "I need you" and "why" scored top 40 all over Europe as well.

So a bit of respect for the other Jacksons' career's would be not out of place imo
So what? Jermaine still sucked. Get over yourself

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody shoot me, but The Beatles. I just don't understand the hype. The same goes for Elvis. Elvis had a great voice but he never wrote any songs.

Nobody shoot me, but The Beatles. I just don't understand the hype. The same goes for Elvis. Elvis had a great voice but he never wrote any songs.
I love The Beatles, I learnt English by trying to translate and understand their lyrics, which got good after they started taking psychedelics :D
It's more sentimental for me, though. I wanted to get to know them so I started listening to them alphabetically - "A Day In The Life" was unlike anything I'd heard before when I was 12, so I got hooked. People who bought the album in '67 must've felt the same.
However, I understand how people might not like them.
But Elvis... I can't get the hype. Maybe there's someone who'd like to change our minds by recommending a particular song? I'll gladly give him another shot.

Back