*PETITION* Victory tour on Blu ray

Come on y'all. Don't let laziness win you. This thread has had more than 900 views... which means that AT LEAST 200 people could have signed the petition. Think about what we can achieve together.

I choose the Victory Tour because it was recorded on film. It can be released on Blu ray. I'd also like to see the Triumph tour first but let be realist, that just didn't happen. They would have to release it on DVD and let's face it, most people won't pay for DVDs. It will probably end up leaking in HQ someday so The Estate lost the chance long ago. As far as I know, film does not exist for the Triumph shows in FULL so HQ is the best we're going to get.

Like seriously, don't be lazy and tell everyone about it. Let's make this petition right here in MJJC big.

Even Soundgarden fans get CONCERTS they want released! Look - https://youtu.be/-TMJqtdokOA

MICHAEL WOULD SELL WAY MORE. There is just no excuse. Film exists. People willing to pay for this are out there. What is the problem?

Last edited:
I doubt if we get this or triumph. I wanna talk to branca myself & ask him what really is the hold up! Like are you waiting for even new technology to come or what!? If mgm classic movies can get upscaled then how can the biggest artist on the planet not have hq footage!

I think the Estate can only re-produce concerts from footage that it owns. Does it own the Victory Tour footage? Knowing about all of the mess there was surrounding that tour (Don King, etc.).... I sincerely doubt it. Even if it was owned by the Estate, the profit margin would have to be shared with the remaining Jackson brothers (I assume) and the executors are not up for that. Right now, they are focused on resolving all outstanding court cases which continue to drag on. The Estate is still in probate until each court case is finalised - IRS, Thome Thome, HBO etc. - no telling how much money is involved in all of that, so it's best for them to remain prudent and fiscally responsible, in my opinion.

^Alright, here we go :D

First. The Estate SHOULD own at least one full copy of the Laserdisc that was meant to be released in '87. I'm guessing it is a standard high quality recording but I would be fine with it. It's very irrational to think that they wouldn't own a copy.

Second. Yeah, bro, it's obvious that the brothers would have to earn some money too. So? The Estate has payed to bad musicians to make HORRIBLE remixes to MJs songs. I'm sure they wouldn't mind sharing some money with the brothers, they are part of MJs history. :)

Third. You seem to be very negative about unreleased concerts in great quality. I remember you cause when I saw that someone was selling the History tour Brunei in Laserdisc on ebay (it was up to auction, we could have easily made a crowdfunding), and then posted here, you became really angry and said that it was illegal or something like that. Wrong. You were terribly wrong because it was officially released in Brunei, but only few people have it. Oh and you even closed that thread. Why so angry about these harmless things?

most people won't pay for DVDs.
Are you sure about that? Because DVD still outsells Blu Ray. At least it does in the USA, I don't know about other countries. And 4K discs sell to a small niche audience. More movies and TV shows are only released on DVD, especially older TV and less popular movies. You really think that people who have mostly listened to MP3s all this time care about video quality? :laughing: The average person likely has a cheaper TV from Wal-Mart. A lot of people still have a tube TV that they have to use a converter box with. The rest who do not buy physical discs stream content, so any disc is irrelevant to them. Some people don't buy movies but rent them from a Redbox that are in front of stores. I don't think Redbox has many music based DVDs.

Serious question: Why some of you say that "this is not just a MJ Estate decision because it involves the brothers". Okay, it's true. But what's the deal? All of them would make TONS of money. Btw, the brothers wanted to release the Victory Tour in Laserdisc back in '87.

I think the Estate can only re-produce concerts from footage that it owns. Does it own the Victory Tour footage? Knowing about all of the mess there was surrounding that tour (Don King, etc.).... I sincerely doubt it. Even if it was owned by the Estate, the profit margin would have to be shared with the remaining Jackson brothers (I assume) and the executors are not up for that. Right now, they are focused on resolving all outstanding court cases which continue to drag on. The Estate is still in probate until each court case is finalised - IRS, Thome Thome, HBO etc. - no telling how much money is involved in all of that, so it's best for them to remain prudent and fiscally responsible, in my opinion.

The Estate does not solely own anything that involves all the Jackson brothers.

This clearly means the Estate does not solely own video footage (such as, the Victory Tour) or audio material (such as, the Jackson 5/Jacksons albums).

Copyrights from such material belong also to the rest of the Jackson brothers as well, but also to their record companies.

So, if the Estate wants to release the Victory Tour, for example, then its two executors (John Branca, John McClain) will have first to get into a legal process of obtaining the required written permission from the rest of the Jackson brothers and also from their record companies.

This process apart from being a complicated one, it also takes a lot of time, and besides the Estate commercially is only interested in releasing material that involves only Michael Jackson as a solo artist.

Also, big organizations or institutions never operate on a petition basis.

When michael died, i remember hearing a guy on the radio or something saying, bet we`ll see the victory tour released now, as michael had that filmed himself.....

Cant remember who or were that was now...

Come on y'all. Don't let laziness win you. This thread has had more than 900 views... which means that AT LEAST 200 people could have signed the petition. Think about what we can achieve together.

I choose the Victory Tour because it was recorded on film. It can be released on Blu ray. I'd also like to see the Triumph tour first but let be realist, that just didn't happen. They would have to release it on DVD and let's face it, most people won't pay for DVDs. It will probably end up leaking in HQ someday so The Estate lost the chance long ago. As far as I know, film does not exist for the Triumph shows in FULL so HQ is the best we're going to get.

Like seriously, don't be lazy and tell everyone about it. Let's make this petition right here in MJJC big.

Even Soundgarden fans get CONCERTS they want released! Look - https://youtu.be/-TMJqtdokOA

MICHAEL WOULD SELL WAY MORE. There is just no excuse. Film exists. People willing to pay for this are out there. What is the problem?

I think Bad Tour Blu-Ray might be more likely and it would sell more. I hope we get both tours in great quality.

This was the biggest selling tour at the time. Deserves a release. Why let the film rot? If MJ had a show filmed by his own crew wouldnt that give him majority of the rights?

So, if the Estate wants to release the Victory Tour, for example, then its two executors (John Branca, John McClain) will have first to get into a legal process of obtaining the required written permission from the rest of the Jackson brothers and also from their record companies.

This process apart from being a complicated one, it also takes a lot of time, and besides the Estate commercially is only interested in releasing material that involves only Michael Jackson as a solo artist.

Also, big organizations or institutions never operate on a petition basis.

No problem, they've done that already for the Scream album. They included This Place Hotel which is a Jacksons song and Somebody's Watching Me, which is a Rockwell's song... and also from the Motown label.

Also, petition worked to get the Bad tour released.

EDIT: I knew I was missing something else when I commented this. Apart from Scream, they have done the "complicated process" of getting the rights of songs that don't only involve MJ in the "Vision" DVD. Yeap they included Blame It on the Boogie, Enjoy Yourself, Can you Feel It, Say Say Say (which is a song from Paul McCartney's album Pipes of Peace), Why by 3T... And you are telling me they can't release whatever concert they want? lol

There is no excuse.

Last edited:
DuranDuran;4265073 said:
Are you sure about that? Because DVD still outsells Blu Ray. At least it does in the USA, I don't know about other countries. And 4K discs sell to a small niche audience. More movies and TV shows are only released on DVD, especially older TV and less popular movies. You really think that people who have mostly listened to MP3s all this time care about video quality? :laughing: The average person likely has a cheaper TV from Wal-Mart. A lot of people still have a tube TV that they have to use a converter box with. The rest who do not buy physical discs stream content, so any disc is irrelevant to them. Some people don't buy movies but rent them from a Redbox that are in front of stores. I don't think Redbox has many music based DVDs.

I’d rather buy combos that are DVD/BluRay combos, Funimation’s been selling those combos and I think the Estate should do the same.

PoP;4265125 said:
I’d rather buy combos that are DVD/BluRay combos, Funimation’s been selling those combos and I think the Estate should do the same.
Those combo sets are usually current mainstream popular movies, aren't they? I don't think think I've seen one like that for music based releases like concerts & music videos. DVDs by themselves are generally cheaper than the combos or just a Blu Ray only. 4K are the most expensive

I really hope The Estate will release some concerts soon.

MJ is a legendary live performer... yet only 2 concerts are officially released - Bucharest DWT and Wembley BWT...

We need much more live concerts. - AND - those early concerts where MJ sang live - they should also be released as AUDIO CD's - and on iTunes.

The Jacksons - LIVE - I hear that album all the time in the car. - Such amazing energy and great live vocals. - We need more of that - I really enjoy Wembley Live very much too.

I don't own a blu ray player. I never will. if the estate releases something, i'd prefer it to be on the official youtube channel, which seems to be lacking performances in general. mainly Motown 25:eek:

as far as the 'victory' tour goes.. I wouldn't mind them putting together a 'billie jean' compilation. even if it's just the endings

^Dude, if this gets a Blu ray release then someone will probably upload it for you to watch for free in YT. Who knows if it'll end up in Netflix or something. I'm surprised that some people don't get the thread.

DuranDuran;4265130 said:
Those combo sets are usually current mainstream popular movies, aren't they? I don't think think I've seen one like that for music based releases like concerts & music videos. DVDs by themselves are generally cheaper than the combos or just a Blu Ray only. 4K are the most expensive

I don’t know about about popular films and I also forgot that Disney does that too releasing new films and re-releasing classics in those combos.

PoP;4265186 said:
I don’t know about about popular films and I also forgot that Disney does that too releasing new films and re-releasing classics in those combos.
Here's a few examples:
tumblr_pvrv2pvY9E1rw606ko1_400.jpg
tumblr_pvrv2pvY9E1rw606ko2_400.jpg
tumblr_pvrv2pvY9E1rw606ko3_400.jpg
tumblr_pvrv2pvY9E1rw606ko4_400.jpg

The recently released Aretha Franklin concert film Amazing Grace is DVD only, no Blu Ray. That is probably because the audience for Aretha (or a gospel concert in general) is less likely to have a Blu Ray player, and the movie was mostly shown in "art film" theaters not the multiplex. So a smaller audience has seen it in the first place. More people have a DVD player, than Blu Ray. A new DVD player costs around $30, which is a good price for people with lower incomes. Cost is one of the reasons DVD has remained the biggest seller. Another is a lot of things are only released on DVD and you don't need to buy a special TV to watch it. The library only has DVD to check out too.
tumblr_pvrv2pvY9E1rw606ko6_400.jpg

No matter if you have a Blu-Ray player or not - an official concert release on Blu-Ray offers the best possible quality - so it will always be a win-win situation.

Make no mistake, if it is released on blu-ray it will also be so on DVD. AND - it will be on YT - and also an official release might end up on Netflix - one can hope.

This Is It is on Netflix - hopefully Wembley '88 will also come on Netflix one day.

I hope this petition succeds and The Estate releases a great concert.

Back