Phil Collins returns: ''I am no longer retired''

Good, I wish he'd record "Speed Demon", him and Peter Gabriel would suit this type of MJ song.

http://consequenceofsound.net/2015/10/phil-collins-returns-i-am-no-longer-retired/

I'm really happy about this. I've always been a huge fan of him and Genesis

So am I. Can't say I'm familiar with their Peter Gabriel material (although I do love some of his solo stuff), but I certainly love some of their classics - Invisible touch, Land of confusion, I can't dance with the lovely Michael "dance" lol. And I also love immensely some of Phil's solo numbers like Against all odds and Can't stop loving you from the newer times. A few years ago I saw a concert special on HBO and loved the atmosphere. He really is an amazing performer and songwriter.

Not only that, but he seems to be a great human being. I still remember his very supportive words about the 1993 allegations.

Sorry to hear about his surgery. His decision to comeback is even braver. Bless him!!! Wish him well, tons of inspiration for the new album and great success with the tour.

Two of my all-time favorite songs

^^^ I sometimes think I'm enjoying this one song & video a bit too much for the comfort of my own sinful and occasionally hypocritical soul :p

A masterpiece full of sensitivity and soul.

Wow, I'm happy to hear this:clapping:

You cannot mention his name without In The Air Tonight coming to mind, and I loveeeeee how the song builds towards to drumming bit and then you cannot help yourself but to start "air drumming":D

I also would mention his Going Back albums as one to listen.

So am I. Can't say I'm familiar with their Peter Gabriel material (although I do love some of his solo stuff), but I certainly love some of their classics - Invisible touch, Land of confusion, I can't dance
The Peter Gabriel era was progressive rock like Yes, Rush, Gentle Giant, Van der Graff Generator, and ELP. It has little in common with the 1980s Genesis music and nothing at all with Peter's & Phil's solo records. Genesis debut album from 1969 is more like folky type Beatle songs rather than prog. If you're not into prog, you probably won't like the 1970s Genesis. There's a tribute band today called The Musical Box who performs the early stuff. Phil was also in a funk jazz (aka fusion) group in the 1970s called Brand X. Brand X is mostly instrumental, Phil was the drummer.

Here's another one with a slight Michael connection. Everyone knows what it is, right? ;)

I think You Can't Hurry Love and True Colours are better than the original versions. True Colours especially

Anthony Phillips

Here's Phil singing on a couple of songs on original Genesis lead guitarist Anthony Phillips 1977 album. Anthony & Phil were not in the group at the same time. Anthony was only on the 1st 2 Genesis albums, but a couple of songs on the 3rd album (which is the 1st one with Phil & Steve Hackett) were ideas started by Phillips.

Don't Lose My Number (hip hop style)

^^Phil has said in interviews that he got the "Ha, ha, ha!" from Melle Mel in The Message by Grandmaster Flash & The Furious 5.

Phil had a TV special in 1990 and did this with the hosts of Yo MTV Raps, Ed Lover & Doctor Dre.

Back