Privacy & GYWOOM

Hot_Street

Proud Member
It seems like Privacy and Get Your Weight Off Of Me sound similar in some ways. Why do people dislike Privacy so much, but appreciate Get Your Weight Off Of Me? Privacy is often mentioned as the least favourite song on Invincible, while Get Your Weight Off Of Me is among the most wanted for Invincible 25.

Last edited:
Personally, my interest in GYWOOM is solely because it’s an unreleased, fully-produced, vocally complete MJ track. Those are few and far between. By contrast, we’ve had “Privacy” for over two decades. It’s like comparing “Chicago 1945” with “Baby Be Mine”—the quality difference is debatable, but it’s easy to see why the former is more exciting and interesting.

As I hear more and more of GYWOOM, I am hearing that it sounds a lot like Privacy and I'm not a fan lol
I'm still interested in hearing a full leak of GYWOOM as I am interested in any unreleased song of Michael's ;)

If it was on the album, i had always thought it would sit between heartbreaker and invincible. I hadn't considered privacy 🤔

The songs always sounded a little mechanical/ too cold and missing a bit of heart. I guess that's down to the production.

I don’t like the vocals and the lyrical content of privacy, the guitar solo is uninspiring as well. For me CGYWOOM sounds more enthusiastic. That said I haven’t heard the similarities yet as I’m not familiar enough with CGYWOOM.

Not only parts of the rhythm and lyrics are similar, but also the whole message.
On GYWOOM he wants a woman to leave him alone and on Privacy it's the media.
These songs are like half brothers. One is hated, the other one loved.

It seems like Privacy and Get Your Weight Off Of Me sound similar in some ways. Why do people dislike Privacy so much, but appreciate Get Your Weight Off Of Me? Privacy is often mentioned as the least favourite song on Invincible, while Get Your Weight Off Of Me is among the most wanted for Invincible 25.
That is because people tend to like things that they cannot have.
If it was on the album, i had always thought it would sit between heartbreaker and invincible. I hadn't considered privacy 🤔
If that happened, then the first 4 songs (on that album) would have sounded like one very long song.
I don’t like the vocals and the lyrical content of privacy, the guitar solo is uninspiring as well. For me CGYWOOM sounds more enthusiastic. That said I haven’t heard the similarities yet as I’m not familiar enough with CGYWOOM.
The guitar solo also includes a mistake, because Michael Jackson utters "Slash!", but Michael Thompson actually plays the guitar solo (and not Slash).

The guitar solo also includes a mistake, because Michael Jackson utters "Slash!", but Michael Thompson actually plays the guitar solo (and not Slash).
Maybe it was planned for Slash to play on Privacy. But then he wanted his privacy.

Last edited:
I can see the similarities to "Privacy"; both were produced by Darkchild, after all, but "Privacy" is a rock influenced tabloid rant and "Get Your Weight Off Me" isn't. It's more like "Heartbreaker" and "Invincible"; they have that same early 2000s electronic dance pop sound.

is it just me or when I first listened to GYWOOM I thought it sounded like a Britney Spears song form the early 2000's 😭 😭

Definitely not just you. Darkchild tended to make music like that in the early 2000s. MJ was the one who pushed him in that direction; before, he mostly just made music like "You Rock My World", but MJ convinced him to make more futuristic-sounding songs with heavier production. "Heartbreaker", "Invincible", "Threatened" and "Get Your Weight Off Me" are all 'N Sync and Britney Spears-esque.

Both are in the same bin for me as worst tracks from the Invincible era. I didn't like Privacy, and I sure as hell don't like CGYWOOM.

Back