Question about Bad tour vocals

Literally surreal to read this. Idk. Just makes absolutely no sense to me.

Live is about being live. The energy, the excitement, the unpredictability, those shouts and hee-hees Michael can barely contain in the opening 60 seconds of that song because he's there, raw in the flesh, in the moment, feeling everything and giving it all back. It's the passion and the soul and the uniqueness of the moment that make live performance so special, so vital, so alive. The vast majority of that goes behind a massive barrier when he stops singing.

I understand you aren't into any of that, but to call it nonsensical is quite strange.

I wish I had the multitracks to leave me alone. Im listening to it as I type this &...i wanna play with those vocals so badly omg man that song is pure gold!

I don't mind some crowd shots, but Bucharest went overboard with it.

Exactly, Bucharest did indeed go overboard with the crowd shots. I don't watch a Michael Jackson concert to see overly emotional fans crying and passing out. I watch it to see Michael Jackson in action.

I think Mj was trying to show his perspective on stage/the entire atmosphere. I think we have the unedited versions on here.

Some other slightly unrelated news, the MJ youtube channel is bringing back Wembley and Bucharest for a limited run. Is it really, like really that hard for them to put up a new concert on the channel? Is it really such a hassle? I'm not talking about a brand new 18k mega hyper ultra definition with inter planetary surround sound remaster but just a vhs transfer, or umatic transfer. Is it really that hard to do something like that?

Isn't the original TV version of Bucharest 92 around? Crowd edits were ok in that. I've never watched the later DVD version, but seems it was re-edited to the worse there.

The tv broadcast is pure gold. Taped the Dutch broadcast and BBC broadcast back in the day and watched it hundreds times before the commercial release was available. That edit was way too much. The unedited Bucharest release is still one of my favourites. Only real downsides are the missed shot of the toaster and the mediocre jetpack footage. But other than that top notch.

I'm sure those unedited broadcasts can be found in the 2000 watts section.

Last edited:
So I just watched the Bad Wembley performance on MJ's YouTube channel.
How come TWYMMF wasn't part of the setlist that night? Also He mentions twice that the royal family is present yet I Dirty Diana was in the setlist? I thought he left it out out of respect?

We really really need a real live performance of TWYMMF, I can't stress this enough.

Also He mentions twice that the royal family is present yet I Dirty Diana was in the setlist? I thought he left it out out of respect?
Princess Diana told him to leave it in. He talks about in the beginning of this interview:

The tv broadcast is pure gold. Taped the Dutch broadcast and BBC broadcast back in the day and watched it hundreds times before the commercial release was available. That edit was way too much. The unedited Bucharest release is still one of my favourites. Only real downsides are the missed shot of the toaster and the mediocre jetpack footage. But other than that top notch.

There must be several different edits of Bucharest 92.
The version I first saw and watched 100+ times was the German free-TV premiere on ZDF in December 1992.
The toaster scene was definitly in there.
They probably fixed some things after the initial broadcasts in October.

Downside of that ZDF version is that it's missing "Will You Be There".

NatureCriminal7896;4284064 said:

Due to a technical malfunction (of the triangular slot in the heel and the metallic peg) he lost his balance and falls off during the ‘Smooth Criminal’ lean in this 1996 Tokyo HIStory concert (at 01:05 - 01:10):

[video=youtube;XepSAMHNWJM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XepSAMHNWJM[/video]

While he chases the girl in ‘The Way You Make Me Feel’ he slips due to the wet stage and he almost falls off in the 1996 Kaohsiung HIStory concert (at 14:04):

[video=youtube;uURKB5yPtJc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uURKB5yPtJc[/video]

Speaking of the ‘Smooth Criminal’ lean, one very important reason that the 1997 Munich HIStory concert is not going to get an official release is because one of his back up dancers accidentally reveals the trick while he comes back to his upright, original position.

mj_frenzy;4284134 said:
Speaking of the ‘Smooth Criminal’ lean, one very important reason that the 1997 Munich HIStory concert is not going to get an official release is because one of his back up dancers accidentally reveals the trick while he comes back to his upright, original position.

Sorry, but that's once again mj_frenzy-logic at it's finest. 1 + 1 = 11 :D

Firstly, it already was officially released ...to TV. While Michael was alive and in control over it.
And in case anyone in charge sees a huge problem with this little scene now... there's a thing called editing.

Last edited:
Live is about being live. The energy, the excitement, the unpredictability, those shouts and hee-hees Michael can barely contain in the opening 60 seconds of that song because he's there, raw in the flesh, in the moment, feeling everything and giving it all back. It's the passion and the soul and the uniqueness of the moment that make live performance so special, so vital, so alive. The vast majority of that goes behind a massive barrier when he stops singing.

I understand you aren't into any of that, but to call it nonsensical is quite strange.
Makes total sense. In fact it's extremely well put.

I think Mj was trying to show his perspective on stage/the entire atmosphere. I think we have the unedited versions on here.
Yeah, there are several videos of MJ instructing cameramen to film the crowd during public appearances (saying he wants them to shoot "action-reaction").

Bucharest is crazily overboard though.

So I just watched the Bad Wembley performance on MJ's YouTube channel.
How come TWYMMF wasn't part of the setlist that night? Also He mentions twice that the royal family is present yet I Dirty Diana was in the setlist? I thought he left it out out of respect?

We really really need a real live performance of TWYMMF, I can't stress this enough.

Michael was the ultimate PR man. The Dirty Diana anecdote was not true. Either that or he simply 'misremembered' it.

I believe TWYMMF was cut for time. The show started later as Michael hosted the Princess backstage and presented her and the charity with gifts.

Also He mentions twice that the royal family is present yet I Dirty Diana was in the setlist? I thought he left it out out of respect?

As far as i've heard the story over the years, Michael initially wanted to leave it off out of respect to her. But when he met Diana before the concert she asked if the song would be played, saying that it was her favourite. (Probably sensing that it might be left out because of her). So then it was put back in.

The very moment that they talk about this might be here (starting 2:38):

Any lip-readers around? :)

JichaelMackson;4284112 said:

ChrisC;4284227 said:
Michael was the ultimate PR man. The Dirty Diana anecdote was not true. Either that or he simply 'misremembered' it.

Electro;4284284 said:
As far as i've heard the story over the years, Michael initially wanted to leave it off out of respect to her. But when he met Diana before the concert she asked if the song would be played, saying that it was her favourite. (Probably sensing that it might be left out because of her). So then it was put back in.

Michael Jackson initially removed ‘Dirty Diana’ from the Wembley concert’s set list (on July 16th, 1988) out of respect for Princess Diana who attended that particular concert.

He revealed that publicly on two occasions: in the Barbara Walters interview (1997), and in the ‘Private Home Movies’ TV documentary (2003).

He specifically said to Barbara Walters that he took ‘Dirty Diana’ out of the show in honour of Her Royal Highness.

The confusion about it (if the song was performed or not at that night) started because Michael Jackson never said publicly that he eventually performed it at that night.

But he eventually performed ‘Dirty Diana’ at that night after Princess Diana asked him to perform the song (when he met him personally backstage some minutes before the start of the show).

Although it was too late, he and his production team managed to put the song back into the Wembley concert’s set list and the song was performed (as shown by leaked audio, but also by various fan reports).

Its possible that they removed The Way You Make Me Feel because of time constraints. Didn't they say that the show started late? Dirty Diana was performed so they had to cut some other song.

mj_frenzy;4284294 said:
Michael Jackson initially removed ‘Dirty Diana’ from the Wembley concert’s set list (on July 16th, 1988) out of respect for Princess Diana who attended that particular concert.

He revealed that publicly on two occasions: in the Barbara Walters interview (1997), and in the ‘Private Home Movies’ TV documentary (2003).

He specifically said to Barbara Walters that he took ‘Dirty Diana’ out of the show in honour of Her Royal Highness.

The confusion about it (if the song was performed or not at that night) started because Michael Jackson never said publicly that he eventually performed it at that night.

But he eventually performed ‘Dirty Diana’ at that night after Princess Diana asked him to perform the song (when he met him personally backstage some minutes before the start of the show).

Although it was too late, he and his production team managed to put the song back into the Wembley concert’s set list and the song was performed (as shown by leaked audio, but also by various fan reports).

Dude.............. 90% of what you just wrote was already just said in this thread. lol

How about participating in conversations without retelling the full story from scratch every single time?

You're posting like a spam bot... picking up keywords to unload all info you have stored about it.

Last edited:

Michael 100% performed Dirty Diana on July 16th 1988. I found this article from back then in which they talk about it. Thought I'd share it with you all:

DirtyDiana_BAD.jpg

Yeah we've known for a while MJ did DD that night - it's on the DVD

Yeah we've known for a while MJ did DD that night - it's on the DVD

Haha yes you're right. However, some people may still say that it was edited from a different concert Lol. I've even heard some people say that Beat It is from a different concert because of the black mic.:lmao:

Back