Question regarding Billie Jean

DancingMjsdream

Proud Member
https://youtu.be/1yxWBk22Htw

I've always assumed that with Billie Jean,MJ just recorded what was in his head,but now I've read that he talked to Daryl Hall when they sang 'We are the world' and admitted that he lifted the Bass Riff from 'No can do' and then I watched this video.
I've listened to No can do and i didn't hear many similarities.So do you think MJ meant that he was just inspired by the song? I don't play any instruments and can't tell if there are any similiar notes

The opening of Billie Jean definitely reminds me of I Can't Go For That (No Can Do). Both start off with solo drums then kick into a bass, the bass of No Can Do reminds me of Billie Jean.

The opening of Billie Jean definitely reminds me of I Can't Go For That (No Can Do). Both start off with solo drums then kick into a bass, the bass of No Can Do reminds me of Billie Jean.

You're right, i had to listen to it a few times.Great song btw

Out Of Touch is my favourite. And speaking of Maneater, that song and Stevie Wonder's Part Time Lover sound a like

I'll have to give both a listen! I think I have Part Time Lover on a playlist somewhere... :)

Rich Girl and You're Making My Dreams (Come True) are also great Hall and Oates songs.

Out Of Touch is my favourite. And speaking of Maneater, that song and Stevie Wonder's Part Time Lover sound a like
They both sound like You Can't Hurry Love by The Supremes. Also the bass on I Can't Go For That sounds similar to Tramp by Carla Thomas & Otis Redding.

Back