Rare spontaneous MJ moments on stage?

I love the breakdown on this version of Man In The Mirror. Even more reason why I'd love New York 1988 to be released. Mike was feeling it
That really impressed me. The reaction of the audience adds so much to the emotional effect of the performance. I realized that I want this audio on my playlist. Thank you for sharing!

Just found more information about the first Bad tour concert in KC, it was really different! During the song Bad he was lifted on a platform over the heads of some of the audience. While suspended there, his coat and hair flapped in an artificial breeze as he sang!!!!😲 and during Thriller he was enveloped in smoke and threw a white hat to the crowd!!

This makes me want to see the full showe even more!:cry:

Just found more information about the first Bad tour concert in KC, it was really different! During the song Bad he was lifted on a platform over the heads of some of the audience. While suspended there, his coat and hair flapped in an artificial breeze as he sang!!!!😲 and during Thriller he was enveloped in smoke and threw a white hat to the crowd!!

That sounds amazing. Where did you find this information out mate?

Thanks mate. That sounds amazing doesn't it
Do you think we will ever see the footage? Surely it must exist still? If nothing else where are all the fans that took photos during the concert? There must be a lot of camera photos out there, where are all the MJ fans that were there? Where are all the press photos? 🤷‍♂️

Do you think we will ever see the footage? Surely it must exist still? If nothing else where are all the fans that took photos during the concert? There must be a lot of camera photos out there, where are all the MJ fans that were there? Where are all the press photos? 🤷‍♂️
I hope so because that sounds excellent doesn't it. Given how much like clockwork Mike's live shows were, a one off like this is must see as a fan

Just listening to MSG March 5 88, during the intro to BJ fireworks go off, cool detail, that didn't happen during the european leg of the Bad tour.

I agree the camera angles for the Victory tour are unfortunate. I don’t understand why Michael agreed with them considering it is all about the illusion. It’s like a magician. His moves are meant to be seen from the front.
that’s probably why it wasn’t released professionally - despite joseph originally wanting it to air on pay per view.
I think this performance/montage was the best representation of the tour. from the picture and sound quality, to capturing the excitement of the diverse audience.
here’s a more close up sample of one of the new york shows. not sure if it’s from the same date from your original post, but michael does a mention a man in the audience again.

I actually enjoyed this despite the quality.

Last edited:
He always did that during the U.S. leg. After the first part of the song would end, just before the kids coming out, he would start the song on the platform at the back of the stage. Behind it were actually people sitting.

Regarding the white hat in Thriller, I wonder if it's not simply the journalist mixing up songs or something, or simply remembering wrong. I don't see why Michael would wear a white hat during Thriller. It seems very random. Perhaps he was thinking about the Thriller mask, but remembered wrong.

IJCSLY from one of the wembley shows where he abruptly tells the band to stop. He asks the audience for a quiet moment for Elizabeth who was very ill during that time and then they resume the song. Also extra points for MJ ending the song in that concert the same way he did on the 87 leg.
Yeah i always preferred that ending rather than the abrupt stop

Yeah i always preferred that ending rather than the abrupt stop
True, but it's always fun to hear the audience singing I just can't stop loving you back to MJ after the abrupt stop and seeing MJ looking shy while smiling🥰.

He always did that during the U.S. leg. After the first part of the song would end, just before the kids coming out, he would start the song on the platform at the back of the stage. Behind it were actually people sitting.

Regarding the white hat in Thriller, I wonder if it's not simply the journalist mixing up songs or something, or simply remembering wrong. I don't see why Michael would wear a white hat during Thriller. It seems very random. Perhaps he was thinking about the Thriller mask, but remembered wrong.
I thought they meant that he went out on the cherry picker, just like he did during Beat It over the audience but also while singing Bad?

There’s such awesome energy in both his moving around stage and his voice on the destiny, triumph and victory tours. It is the absolute peak of his adult career.
agree 💯 one of the reasons I’m looking forward to seeing the ‘thriller 40’ documentary is for high quality footage of ‘wanna be startin somethin’, ‘human nature’, ‘beat it’ and ‘billie jean’. it will be like experiencing it for the first time. though I’m mostly excited about ‘billie jean’ and ‘human nature’, as they were sung in the original keys.

I also wouldn’t mind seeing better footage of the third (final) leg of the ‘destiny’ tour. ‘blame it on the boogie’ and ‘don’t stop til you get enough’ on the same set list is a dream for me 💜

agree 💯 one of the reasons I’m looking forward to seeing the ‘thriller 40’ documentary is for high quality footage of ‘wanna be startin somethin’, ‘human nature’, ‘beat it’ and ‘billie jean’. it will be like experiencing it for the first time. though I’m mostly excited about ‘billie jean’ and ‘human nature’, as they were sung in the original keys.

I also wouldn’t mind seeing better footage of the third (final) leg of the ‘destiny’ tour. ‘blame it on the boogie’ and ‘don’t stop til you get enough’ on the same set list is a dream for me 💜
The Destiny tour is probably the most interesting one because of its flexible setlist, the longer the tour the more songs got introduced. Considering I saw London 1979 which is still very much a Jacksons tour I would also opt for one of the later dates and find out the differences with the triumph tour in terms of costumes, dancing, singing etc

Was MITM sung entirely live at those concerts?

Sorry to bum you out but they clearly just mistook beat it for bad. And the white hat must be a mistake its just the end of billie jean. However no doubt it was somewhat unique since it was the first show.

I love this second moonwalk in Copenhagen 1992. It's at 4.41, it's just so cool, possibly his most laid back moonwalk. It's not really rare but I've never seen him do anything similar

Back