Rembert Explains the '80s: Michael Jackson at the 1988 Grammy Awards [merged]

I remember watching this and I was so disappinted that Bobby Mcferrin won over him. In 1988, Song of the year, Best Pop Vocal Performance, Male recording, Record of the year, "Don't Worry, Be Happy" in the album Simple Pleasures.

Man in the Mirror beaten by Don't Worry Be Happy.
If MJ had written that song he'd have been laughed at, wouldn't have been nominated for a thing.

The 1988 Grammys Award show is considered having the worst winners ever. How come Michael went home empty handed and was beaten over a one hit wonder! How come Jetro Tull beat Metallica if they aren't considered a metal band! The Grammys have lots of WTF "winners."
sivestr-stalone-facepalm.gif

Now that you mention the VMA's, it reminded me when I knew David Bowie beat Thriller with China Girl for Best Male Video and I was like

tumblr_ll0o37v0xW1qixleeo1_500.gif

It's even more shocking because Thriller is the best musical short film ever made, I really like David Bowie but China Girl over Thriller,

tumblr_lgdavzeD1T1qany66.gif

Hey Bonnie, a little reminder! ;)
http://mjjgallery.free.fr/bad/awards/grammy/grammy.html

Now that you mention the VMA's, it reminded me when I knew David Bowie beat Thriller with China Girl for Best Male Video and I was like

tumblr_ll0o37v0xW1qixleeo1_500.gif

It's even more shocking because Thriller is the best musical short film ever made, I really like David Bowie but China Girl over Thriller,

tumblr_lgdavzeD1T1qany66.gif

Especially considering that Michael's videos helped to establish MTV...

ETA: And this won against Thriller in the Best Video category (Bowie won in the Best Male Video category).

tumblr_me3xp70AbV1qltqg1.gif

Last edited:
Guys ^^, you are right, but... we alll, the whole world does know what Thriller video is like, what the video means, why its officially proclaimed as the best video EVER, so... what David Bowie? The Cars? Who the hell knows what they are???? Where are those artists today? And where is MJ? (I dont mean in heaven..., but how MJ is considered ... as... yes... the worlds greatest entertainer, the KING)....

Guys ^^, you are right, but... we alll, the whole world does know what Thriller video is like, what the video means, why its officially proclaimed as the best video EVER, so... what David Bowie? The Cars? Who the hell knows what they are???? Where are those artists today? And where is MJ? (I dont mean in heaven..., but how MJ is considered ... as... yes... the worlds greatest entertainer, the KING)....

Good post, but the bolded^^ I met someone on Friday who told me Michael is not dead, because she saw the videos on Utube, so for some, Michael is not even in Heaven, he is on earth enjoying his Thriller's fame. Go figure.....

Especially considering that Michael's videos helped to establish MTV...

ETA: And this won against Thriller in the Best Video category (Bowie won in the Best Male Video category).

tumblr_me3xp70AbV1qltqg1.gif

David Bowie, The White Dutch is still a rock legend nowadays but The Cars, where the hell are they? Their video is a crap. And to MTV,

tumblr_m248ezCZgT1qexd10.gif

Knowing Michael gave that channel the international fame it has. Such mofo racists!

Back