Rhythm Nation (Janet) - striking similarities to later work of Michael?

Remington Steele

Proud Member
I bought the "Rhythm nation" album and listened to it today (for the first time). I was curious as in another thread someone pointed out this video on youtube (Michael dancing to "The Knowledge" - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_1mzkh5ARo).

Anyway, there were three times I thought "boy does that sound similar" (to stuff of Michael). First, there was a song that has the same beat timing that Michael used for "Scream". Second, there was some sample that sounded very similar to one used in "Escape".
And third, in "Rhythm nation", the lines
"People of the world today
Are we looking for a better way of life?"
etc. sound very similar to
´"Every hot man is out taking a chance it's not about love and romance and now you do regret it"
(Blood on the dance floor).

No surprise someone made a RN-BOTDF-mix!

Do you think it's possible Michael took some of Janet's music as inspiration? Might be coincidences, but I can hardly believe that at least regarding the third point.

Michael's been writing about world peace since Can You feel it...

However, as for the sound, I'm not sure. I heard Janet was one of the first to do the new-jack sound... but I'm not sure if Mike sampled anything of hers.

I think a lot of Janet's music reminds me of Michael's. Even the way she sings. They are almost like twins. I think that "Ghosts" sounds a lot like "Rhythm Nation" actually. Very similar bass-line. Listen to both of them and you'll see what I'm talking about.

Yep, there are quite a few MJ-Janet similarities.

She asked him for permission as the Rythm Nation video used the same technology as Captain EO, and also, if if I remember rightly (from Private Home Movies, I think), if she was allowed to make the Rythm Nation choreography military-inspired as Mike had used it just before.

The Rythm Nation song is very similar, in my opinion, to Jam - an up-tempo, military-inspired song about making a change to the world. The black-and-white video with lots of dancers also reminds me of Dangerous (performances like 1995 VMAs) and Bad.

Many of her other songs and videos are similar to MJ's - especially Make Me/DSTYGE!!

Mike had planned on using the military style as his next style for BAD when Janet asked if should could use this style and of course he said yes.

One big similarity I found in their songs was in "Lady In My Life" and "Funny How Time Flies" they are singing the same way towards the end of both songs.

How I love them both:)

One big similarity I found in their songs was in "Lady In My Life" and "Funny How Time Flies" they are singing the same way towards the end of both songs.

How I love them both:)
ive always noticed that!!! EXACTLY!!

-Dal

Yep Michael talks about Captain EO and Janet wanting to use the Military style dance for R.Nation another I think is alot alike is Janets Black Cat & Michael's Dirty Diana the white shirt and black pants,rock style concert setting.. Plus the black Panther as well from Michael's Black or White there's a lot of things alike with Janet from Michael.

Dirty Diana Video:
[youtube]bdjqcSCObuc[/youtube]

Black or White Full Video: (Panther)
[youtube]YVoJ6OO6lR4[/youtube]

Black Cat Video:
[youtube]qH-rPt1ftSo[/youtube]

Last edited:
Interesting, thanks.

BTW am I mistaken or does "State of the world" rock like hell? :D Just listening to it and it makes me want to dance forever - I love it! (especially the bass theme)

I'm actually surprised Michael did not mention this song when he liked the bass lick of "Rhythm nation" and "The Knowledge"...

I mean, what kind of artist are you if you can’t draw inspiration from the art you see and feel around you. rhythm nation itself was inspired by Bad. And it inspired Dangerous.

I've always felt like they mirrored each others work. Not to mention their albums were always released no later than a year apart

Control and Bad - Both taking control of themselves. Control saw Janet step away from Joseph and find her own sound while Bad saw Michael producing and writing more on the album

Rhythm Nation and Dangerous - Both introducing NJS into their music and also being socially aware of world events we were facing during that time

Velvet Rope and HIStory - Both deemed as their most personal albums

All for You and Invincible - Both being sort of a reintroduction to those that forgot the Jacksons run this shit

I mean for Michael's latter albums, he told the producers to listen to Rhythm Nation as one of their inspirations so that explains why.

Rhythm Nation was the biggest inspiration for Dangerous.
Jam and Lewis worked on HIStory.
Jerkins was given Rhythm Nation to listen to for Invincible.
Rhythm Nation feels better than New Jack Swing at this point. To me.

Are we looking for a better way of life?"
etc. sound very similar to
´"Every hot man is out taking a chance it's not about love and romance and now you do regret it"
(Blood on the dance floor).
Yea the whole beat reminds me of BOTDF

Back