sananda maitreya aka terence trent d'arby

the solar return was just a working title though right? or were there demos floating around?....man i'm watching some of his old stuff on youtube now because i have most of his videos and live stuff on vhs....killer stuff! love symphony or damn, one of my desert island discs 4 shu! ;)

it's also sad that his follow-up efforts through wildcard didn't get the exposure they were worthy of, since they're more solid!

Soular was a two disc set, most of which ended up being release in various versions of Wildcard. There are 3 or 4 songs that never made it out though

Soular was a two disc set, most of which ended up being release in various versions of Wildcard. There are 3 or 4 songs that never made it out though

thanks, i have 5 of the outtakes from the cd :) some of which are free downloads on his site!

Sweet :) .. SHadows is still one of my fave songs of his ever. Loved the Soular material

Re: terence tent darby

This guy has amazing voice, very strong and sensual)))
Love his music and his songs, this one especially
To my mind he is one of the best singers )))

'Delicate' is such a wonderful song! I'm afraid I am not so familiar with Sananda Maitreya's / TTdA work after "Introducing..."

'Delicate' is such a wonderful song! I'm afraid I am not so familiar with Sananda Maitreya's / TTdA work after "Introducing..."

then you should definitely check the stuff out after, especially Symphony or Damn, TTD started to experiment a lot more and put out so much great music.

Re: terence tent darby

he still records and is in italy these days and he made a album a year or so ago which was available on the internet only.

I read that about him. If he still is there, in my next Italian stop i'll go and pay him a visit as well lol.

I may not be as knowledgeable of his music as some of u guys and gals in here, but i do know a couple of things, three actually - him and INXS together = killer combo, he has three of my favorite songs of all time

with wonderful Des'ree

and that masterpeace wit that more than awesome oath bout them 'best years' :D

aaand also i remember that open letter of his to Michael from back in 1988 or somethin'. I tried to find it online, but it wasn't anywhere. If anyone can pull it off from some dusty folder on their comp, i'd much appreciated. I remember it had some great advice for Mike - to stop foolin' around with chimps and stuff and go and find himself a real girl and get married or somethin' like that. I remember readin' it about a decade or so ago lol

Of course at that time Michael was far too busy entertaining the world and winnin' awards to think of such silly stuff, but like Someone put your hand out obviously showed, he was indeed havin' that need, but he burried it very deep inside of himself. He must've had his sour grapes moments as well - who gives an ish about true love when you can have the screams and shouts of millions, chicks faiting over you, press headlines and tons of record sells, right? Hopefully, in his later years he found out how critical the 'silly things' were in order to have a fulfilled life, not only a stratospheric career.

Sananda/TTD is one of my favorite singers. George Michael covered 'Let Her Down Easy' on his new album too. For Sananda fans, I definitely recommend 'Wildcard' one of his best IMO.

Blanket On The Ground / I Wanna Breathe

Here's a couple of songs from his newest album The Rise Of The Zugebrian Time Lords

videos

They finally posted some more videos on his VEVO channel recently, They're not music videos, but performances on TV shows

One of my favourites for sure, but really only up to wildcard.
His singing and vocal range were incredible, If you all get to heaven just gives me goosebumps every time I hear it. Incredible for the first song on his first album. Dance Little sister, Wishing well, Sign your name and Delicate were all very accessible pop hits. Oh Divina is beautiful and so is Billy don't fall - Let her down easy is just beautiful and a very emotional song.

Sadly he never recovered the heights of his first album, although albums 2,3,4, and 5 were all perfectly good. Probably his best song not on Introducing the Hardline, would be Holding on to you - again he just sings the living ____ out of that song.

Someone said on another forum board that he disappeared up his own ass, and I tend to agree. I even watched some interview he did a few years ago where he was going on about being Irish and pretty much denying his own blackness - which annoyed me a lot. His new music I just find very hard to get into - there are moments of brilliance but its like Prince at his worst in the late 90s/early 00s - self indulgent babble a lot of it. Still big props for him leaving the labels and making it all himself and putting free music on the net for us to digest.

At the end of the day, an incredibly gifted singer and songwriter and one of the most important to come out of the 80s.

Here's Terence / Sananda Maitreya in his first UK tv appearance on The Tube. Live performance. 1987

(RIP Paula Yates)

If You Let Me Stay

3m 37s

Sananda / Terence Trent D'Arby interviewed by Terry Wogan in 1987. Performs Sign Your Name.

9m 12s

Back