She was loving me (Chicago)

Originality ≠ Quality.

It's true, they're not all hits through to through like Thriller or Bad, but there's more good songs than not. And the highs are way higher than the highs.

There's also Silk Sonic's debut record, Tom Misch's debut record, and so much other music I doubt you've ever heard of.

Truth is, I prefer less mainstream choices anyway. Why limit to what you're exposed to, find some for yourself.

Like, Benny Sings has so outclassed your standards of what's good music.

I’ve heard every album you listed and my same complaints holds for Silk Sonic. Moreso than 24K. It’s an album that revisits old ground. I rather listen to the real authentic funk music from the 70s than to listen to a replica. In no way is Silk Sonic’s album a truly great, and I’ll also add masterpiece, to me.

Regarding Benny sings, that’s not my type of music and I wouldn’t personally classify what I’ve just heard as a great, masterpiece.

I’ve heard every album you listed and my same complaints holds for Silk Sonic. Moreso than 24K. It’s an album that revisits old ground. I rather listen to the real authentic funk music from the 70s than to listen to a replica. In no way is Silk Sonic’s album a truly great, and I’ll also add masterpiece, to me.

Regarding Benny sings, that’s not my type of music and I wouldn’t personally classify what I’ve just heard as a great, masterpiece.
It's not a replica... It's real instruments and everything.

Idk, you want entirely modern, digital production, or you want not that?

It's not a replica... It's real instruments and everything.

Idk, you want entirely modern, digital production, or you want not that?
You misunderstand. It’s a replica of what has already been done. It’s taking the pre existing blue print of soul, funk and RNB music and adding nothing. The best way to describe it is like a lab experiment. It offers nothing new, it takes no risks, it’s basically recreating something without adding anything significant except for their vocals

You misunderstand. It’s a replica of what has already been done. It’s taking the pre existing blue print of soul, funk and RNB music and adding nothing. The best way to describe it is like a lab experiment. It offers nothing new, it takes no risks, it’s basically recreating something without adding anything significant except for their vocals
That's the exact opposite of an experiment. It's literally as conventional as can be. So, it's more like you don't like how it's not reinventing the genre or something.

20/20 Experience, isn't as avant garde as you think. It's electronic and not analog but musically it's not that far away from modern R&B. It actually has a lot in common with, Invincible, let's be real. Heartbreaker and Tunnel Vision, both sound very similar.

Man of the Woods, ironically, sounds more like the album you want. It's totally new, risky, and actually outsife of the norm. Country/blue eyed soul and hip-hop/trap

That's the exact opposite of an experiment. It's literally as conventional as can be. So, it's more like you don't like how it's not reinventing the genre or something.

20/20 Experience, isn't as avant garde as you think. It's electronic and not analog but musically it's not that far away from modern R&B. It actually has a lot in common with, Invincible, let's be real. Heartbreaker and Tunnel Vision, both sound very similar.

Man of the Woods, ironically, sounds more like the album you want. It's totally new, risky, and actually outsife of the norm. Country/blue eyed soul and hip-hop/trap
Maybe I should have chosen my words more wisely. What I really meant is not like a lab experiment but more like a science project. It’s a term that gets used in music whenever something is replicated without the actual soul of the music and that’s how I feel a lot of these retro, throwback songs and albums are made.

I have to disagree with your points about 20/20. It’s all subjective of course but I feel like Timberlake is always trying to push the boundaries with his albums such as Future/sex and 20/20. Just reducing it to “electronic” is a bit unfair because at the end of the day genres as a whole have certain characteristics that cannot be bypassed whether that is soul, pop, rock RnB etc. 20/20 is very avant-garde in the field of pop music from one of the most popular recording artist working today. The production, the length of songs, the vocal arrangements, it’s far more ambitious than any other pop album I’ve heard since. I’m not saying that there aren’t good pop albums being made today but to me 20/20 was just something else and a truly great modern pop masterpiece.

Man Of The Woods was also a very ambitious effort from JT but the execution was not there as it had been on previous albums.

Maybe I should have chosen my words more wisely. What I really meant is not like a lab experiment but more like a science project. It’s a term that gets used in music whenever something is replicated without the actual soul of the music and that’s how I feel a lot of these retro, throwback songs and albums are made.

I have to disagree with your points about 20/20. It’s all subjective of course but I feel like Timberlake is always trying to push the boundaries with his albums such as Future/sex and 20/20. Just reducing it to “electronic” is a bit unfair because at the end of the day genres as a whole have certain characteristics that cannot be bypassed whether that is soul, pop, rock RnB etc. 20/20 is very avant-garde in the field of pop music from one of the most popular recording artist working today. The production, the length of songs, the vocal arrangements, it’s far more ambitious than any other pop album I’ve heard since. I’m not saying that there aren’t good pop albums being made today but to me 20/20 was just something else and a truly great modern pop masterpiece.

Man Of The Woods was also a very ambitious effort from JT but the execution was not there as it had been on previous albums.
Well, when you put it like that. I guess that's true. But that's of course, subjective, you said as much. Maybe it's a basic record but Bruno and Abel do know how to sing. They sing the heck out of whatever they do. They could easily be right next to JT as performance goes.

And there have been plenty of masterpiece songs. Maybe not albums, but that era has long been gone, even MJ knew that. It just isn't as necessary.

Well, when you put it like that. I guess that's true. But that's of course, subjective, you said as much. Maybe it's a basic record but Bruno and Abel do know how to sing. They sing the heck out of whatever they do. They could easily be right next to JT as performance goes.

And there have been plenty of masterpiece songs. Maybe not albums, but that era has long been gone, even MJ knew that. It just isn't as necessary.
Of course. I have no objections regarding that. In my opinion, Bruno is the best performer alive right now. Bruno is easily my favorite artist to come out of the 2010s and I always attend his concerts whenever he’s performing in Sweden.

Haven’t read the entire thread but I see mention of 20/20 experience. I played this album a lot when it came out, I thought it sounded fantastic, very fresh sound. Loved how all the tracks were extended and stretched, it was unpredictable. It remains one of my favorite albums to this day.

I also enjoyed Silk Sonic a lot, a great throwback album but I tired of it rather quickly.

Either way I wanna check both of them out again now, this is the power of discussing music lol

Last edited:
Outside of just pop music, hip-hop has some of the best. Tyler the Creator is a great a producer. Kendrick's last album was immaculate, as was Mac Miller's last completed Circles.

Didn't think I'd be considered heretic for saying Supplies is a good song. I've just relistened to it and it still hits hard, geez. Pharrell did one hell of a job once again.

Didn't think I'd be considered heretic for saying Supplies is a good song. I've just relistened to it and it still hits hard, geez. Pharrell did one hell of a job once again.
Not the biggest fan of it tbh but the bridge is incredible!

Montana , Higher Higher , Say Something and even the title tracks are the ones I enjoy most.

Unfortunately I think I loved the dramatic album teaser trailer than I did the actual album itself . It's amazing

It's a good instrumental, it's quite groovy.

But the chorus is so stupid. It's like D*ck in a box but played straight. It embarrassed me.

But hes always been a lil cheesy so idk. It's no secyback, is all.

But the chorus is so stupid. It's like D*ck in a box but played straight. It embarrassed me.

The bridge is cool. Reminds me of N-Sync actually.

Honestly, never paid attention to the lyrics. Don't mind me, but I choose to often ignore the lyrics of more recent pop songs for obvious reasons.

T
Go ahead, brother. I've recently given Filthy a relisten cuz of you and it felt less worse. The futuristic sfx are still odd to me.
The computer parts are the best part. It's very engaging sonically. It's the breathing in the background I don't like.

Back