She was loving me (Chicago)

Blues_Away2023

Proud Member
Does anyone find this song rather sexy? There's something about the opening of the song that I find very very nice šŸ˜‚

It reminds me of the late 90s and gives off Jennifer Lopez, if you had my love type of production vibes.

I love it

Ooooh I do! Itā€™s very moody, like Dirty Diana. I love his songs that envelope you in these types of moody, seductive-type vibes.

Itā€™s a shame that remixed version on Xscape lost that vibe completely (the duck sounds, wtf) But Iā€™m glad we got Michaelā€™s version as well. I also love the guitar version, it gives it even more of a sexy vibe.

Also, I love the way he says/sings ā€œwomanā€. Mmmmm hmmm.

I like the sound but I find the original boring. It loses steam halfway through. Mostly because of the lack of ad-libs at the end. There's no progression emotionally. Most Invincible songs have much stronger climaxes.
I've always thought the same and now that you said it, Xscape was the immediate follow-up to 20/20 in Timbaland's work timeline. Who knows if he recycled some unused ideas and sounds for his remixes.
Loving You sounds a lot like Suit & Tie actually. Slave to the Rhythm sounds like the original song mashed up with some Missy Elliot elements, and Chicago kinda sounds like Are You That Somebody by Aaliyah.

Agree with this. I loved the 20/20 experience btw, especially part 1 , it was a great album.
Mine was part 2, still listen to it after all these years.

Loving You sounds a lot like Suit & Tie actually. Slave to the Rhythm sounds like the original song mashed up with some Missy Elliot elements, and Chicago kinda sounds like Are You That Somebody by Aaliyah.
In other words, Timbaland's signature sound is all over his remixes. That's not bad (besides DYKWYCA, of course).

I just wish Timbalands remix sounded a bit less like his Justin Timberlake production "Electric Lady". The production is almost identical. Could've been a bit more unique and "MJish"

I love both the 20/20 Part 1 and 2 albums btw.

I just wish Timbalands remix sounded a bit less like his Justin Timberlake production "Electric Lady". The production is almost identical. Could've been a bit more unique and "MJish"

I love both the 20/20 Part 1 and 2 albums btw.
I WAS GONNA MENTION THIS SONG IN MY PREVIOUS POST. You've read my mind.

This song is absolutely FIRE. Such a shame most people still don't even know there were bonus tracks on 20/20 II.

I WAS GONNA MENTION THIS SONG IN MY PREVIOUS POST. You've read my mind.

This song is absolutely FIRE. Such a shame most people still don't even know there were bonus tracks on 20/20 II.
Yeah. She Was Lovin Me Timbo remix is like a faster production of Electric Lady.

I used to blast this song non stop back in the day in my car and even named my car Electric Lady after the song. Good stuff

Looking back at the time, it seems to me that Timbo and J-Roc were chosen due to 20/20 (both parts) being the hottest pop album(s) in 2013 and the fact that JT's music was the closest reference to MJ's music they had. Stargate had also produced a string of hits in the 2-3 years prior to Xscape, mainly Rihanna's biggest hits between 2010 and 2013.

Looking back at the time, it seems to me that Timbo and J-Roc were chosen due to 20/20 (both parts) being the hottest pop album(s) in 2013 and the fact that JT's music was the closest reference to MJ's music they had. Stargate had also produced a string of hits in the 2-3 years prior to Xscape, mainly Rihanna's biggest hits between 2010 and 2013.
Yeah, that was the peak of Pop music at the time. Bieber in his middle age years, Swift had not quite crossed over, and Bruno was not yet on Uptown Funk with Mark Ronson. I appreciate Xscape's hip-hop oriented style over just 2010 pop, which has aged far worse. Listening to the 20/20, it does sound very good 10 years later.

Ye, his follow up to them is quite trash imo.
I enjoyed it a lot and feel it's underrated. Enough good songs actually. But it's not nearly as timeless, or as "hard".

This is a great song the whole way through.

I enjoyed it a lot and feel it's underrated. Enough good songs actually. But it's not nearly as timeless, or as "hard".

I remember losing the excitement at every new single that dropped. Gotta say, Man of the Woods is not a good album. Supplies is the best song, hands down (thanks Pharrell).

Ye, his follow up to them is quite trash imo.
Man of the woods , yeah that was pretty poor, the country vibe was not good at all.

JT has a new album on the way apparently so hopefully a return to what he is good at.

On 20/20 experience part one, there's a song called blue ocean floor which I loved , so different.

JT has a new album on the way apparently so hopefully a return to what he is good at.
Well, that is exciting. A bit worrying. JT is the only modern artist I have that excitement for. I don't want a sequel to his best records though. I like when artists go out of their way. Even if Man of the Woods is uneven, at least it's different. My idea is staying with Timbo is completely unengaging, no risks. That's boring. I appreciate experimentation. Like MJ leaving Quincy of course.

I remember losing the excitement at every new single that dropped. Gotta say, Man of the Woods is not a good album. Supplies is the best song, hands down (thanks Pharrell).
Filthy was a song I really enjoyed. I don't remember the other singles either, true.

We definitely do not see eye to eye. Supplies is the most unlistenable bit of noise I've ever heard.

I do wish they would have polished the song more in line with what the demo set out.

The demo sounds dark and moody, like Stranger In Moscow meets Give In To Me. Whereas Timbaland's version sounds like a hangover from Justin Timberlake's 20/20 experience
You put it so perfectly my brother and I agree! That's been my main gripe with Xscape to be honest.

Yeah, that was the peak of Pop music at the time. Bieber in his middle age years, Swift had not quite crossed over, and Bruno was not yet on Uptown Funk with Mark Ronson. I appreciate Xscape's hip-hop oriented style over just 2010 pop, which has aged far worse. Listening to the 20/20, it does sound very good 10 years later.

There was actually some good songs on that album like Montana, Higher Higher, Say Something and I even liked songs like Supplies and Filthy, but oh boy does that album include some of his absolute worst songs in his entire discopgrahy (Nsync included)

Imo, 20/20 experience is the last, truly great pop album released. Especially from a male singer.

You know, I don't think he's bad, but his albums sound all the same to me.
He's not diverse exactly but there's like two tiers to this.

The Trilogy Era Weeknd, that not even most casual Weeknd fans know about:

And the entirely modern, popular Weeknd the general public judge based off what they hear on radio.

24K Magic by Bruno Mars, from Nov 2016.
This is interesting because I thought about this album when I wrote this. I do not consider 24k Magic to be a truly great album. Itā€™s good donā€™t get me wrong but it really doesnā€™t bring anything new or interesting that we havenā€™t already heard before. New Jack swing, funk songs and 80s music, weā€™ve already had that exact same music by artist who in my opinion did it better than him like Bobby Brown, New Edition etc.

20/20 sounded and still sounds unlike anything that has been produced in the latest 10-15 years. Suit and Tie, mirrors, blue ocean floor, Straweberry bubblegum, spaceship coupe, let the groove get in (or what itā€™s called). This is just a masterpiece all across the board and 24K, imo,, does not even come near the brilliance of that album. Neither does any the weekend album imo

The Weeknd's last several albums.
I think his albums are good but not truly great albums. Iā€™m also sick to death of the nostalgia baiting with the 80ā€™s and even 70s retro sound. Doesnā€™t anyone want to push boundaries anymore?

Last edited:
I think heā€™s albums are good but not truly great albums. Iā€™m also sick to death of the nostalgia baiting with the 80ā€™s and even 70s retro sound. Doesnā€™t anyone want to push boundaries anymore?
Originality ā‰  Quality.

It's true, they're not all hits through to through like Thriller or Bad, but there's more good songs than not. And the highs are way higher than the highs.

There's also Silk Sonic's debut record, Tom Misch's debut record, and so much other music I doubt you've ever heard of.

Truth is, I prefer less mainstream choices anyway. Why limit to what you're exposed to, find some for yourself.

Like, Benny Sings has so outclassed your standards of what's good music.

This is interesting because I thought about this album when I wrote this. I do not consider 24k Magic to be a truly great album. Itā€™s good donā€™t get me wrong but it really doesnā€™t bring anything new or interesting that we havenā€™t already heard before. New Jack swing, funk songs and 80s music, weā€™ve already had that exact same music by artist who in my opinion did it better than him like Bobby Brown, New Edition etc.

20/20 sounded and still sounds unlike anything that has been produced in the latest 10-15 years. Suit and Tie, mirrors, blue ocean floor, Straweberry bubblegum, spaceship coupe, let the groove get in (or what itā€™s called). This is just a masterpiece all across the board and 24K, imo,, does not even come near the brilliance of that album. Neither does any the weekend album imo
That's the thing: 24K is Bruno's bow to his references. It's meant to be like that, a homage.
24K Magic is a bow to Zapp, Chunky sounds like Baby Be Mine, Perm is James Brown, Finesse is NJS...

Back