Should Michael be recognised as a poet/writer and an artist (art) more?

JM77

Proud Member
Other than a performer and a musician, I think that Michael should be seen more as a poet/writer and an artist regarding art, as well. I thought about this after reading 'Dancing the Dream' and looking at his artwork. I created this discussion because I think that his poems/reflections and artwork should be recognised more and be more famous than it is/has been as it looks so professional. A lot of the time, I think that Michael's gift of writing is not recognised nearly as much as his music side (even though he wrote songs) as the music and performing side of him is what MJ is known for most. But if he never performed or wrote music and wasn't called the King of Pop, I feel strongly that his writing would have taken that role for what he would be known for instead - no matter how famous or recognised it could/would have been if this was his career instead. This is because he was so amazing at it. This also applies to his talent regarding artwork and drawing and painting.

I know that Michael had a deep love for and interest in writing/reading as he says in his book, 'Moonwalk'

Extract from 'Moonwalk': “I’ve always wanted to be able to tell stories, you know, stories that came from my soul. I’d like to sit by a fire and tell people stories – make them see pictures, make them cry and laugh, take them anywhere emotionally with something as deceptively simple as words. I’d like to tell tales to move their souls and transform them. I’ve always wanted to be able to do that. Imagine how the great writers must feel, knowing they have that power. I sometimes feel I could do it. It’s something I’d like to develop. In a way, songwriting uses the same skills, creates the emotional highs and lows, but the story is a sketch. It’s quicksilver. There are very few books written on the art of storytelling, how to grip listeners, how to get a group of people together and amuse them. No costumes, no makeup, no nothing, just you and your voice, and your powerful ability to take them anywhere, to transform their lives, if only for minutes.” –Michael

(Like Michael's favourite subjects as a kid) - as a person who loves English and Art at school as well, I read his poems and look at his artwork in awe, thinking how someone could write and draw that well. I also thought that Michael's poems and reflections should be taught in English lessons at school because they look so professional, for when poems are taught in English. His way of writing has inspired me to write too and make better of my writing - think deeper I guess. One of my favourite written pieces of his include, 'The Fish That Was Thirsty' in 'Dancing The Dream', where I originally had to really think about this extract to understand it's meaning by its metaphorical use:

"It means that we are looking for Him in the wrong places," the old whale explained. "We look high and low for God, but somehow He's not there. So we blame Him and tell ourselves that He must have forgotten us. Or else we decide that He left a long time ago, if He was ever around."

"How strange," the little fish said, "to miss what is everywhere."
"Very strange," the old whale agreed. "Doesn't it remind you of fish who say they're thirsty?"

This just shows that Michael's mind was so complex, 'deep' and intelligent that it could create amazing written pieces like above. I would be extremely interested if his writing was ever considered to be used in schools.

I was happy to know that the extract above from 'Moonwalk' was used in an English lesson at school recently.

You can tell Michael liked to 'show off' his artwork (in a good way) and seemed really proud, from watching this early interview around 5:20: [video=youtube;OoxIBO8O-Zg]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OoxIBO8O-Zg[/video] and also at 11:00 where they talk about school and favourite subjects

Meanwhile, who knows what Michael's career would have been, had he not become a musician - he may have become a film director instead as I know that he had a deep interest in that too and was going to direct films as a profession anyway.

Do you think Michael would have been a successful/well known writer or artist (art) if his music side hadn't 'become' his life?

Last edited:
Very interesting to hear your thoughts JM.

I agree Michael was such a huge artsy person! I think if he hadn't done music, he would have been in some other form of art. He had a talent for a variety of things.

Perhaps it may have been challenging as alot of success comes from luck but with pure talent like Michael's it couldn't have gone long with being recognised!

Last edited:
That's the reason I really think he is the greatest ARTIST of all time. Not just the greatest singer or dancer.

Yes he definitely should be. His Dancing The Dream book is to me. The most greatest book ever made. Well other besides the bible. I just so totally L.O.V.E. the Dancing The Dream book. It is still one of my most cherished MJ items.

I think if his musical work and dance wasn't so incredibly over the top great I think his talents that go beyond that would have gotten more attention... It overshadows anything else because it is so unique and different.. While he was a great poet, artist, writer - it's the sound of his music, his vocals, and his dance, and what people came to know of MJ that surpassed the traditional view of a person and naturally casts a shadow on everything else. (other talents, his humor, his feelings etc)..

When someone is SO great at something, the 'other' things that make the person special is often forgotten..

I would say a wholeheartedly "YES" cause Michael's songs contained like little stories in them 'hidden' behind the Baseline and the Melody :D For instance, take 'Little Suzie' or 'A place with no name' just to name 2 of 'storyline' songs :blush:

I was exactly quite amazed when I saw how beautiful Michael could draw and paint :wild:

Then of course, people only see the outershell. The Music, the dance though I think the whole 'creative process' is important too. What people do in their 'free' time tells you a lot about what 'kind' of person they really are.

Back