Small but hard Q/A about "Invincible stuff" for true fans

Rodney Jerkins spoke about the sound of the 'Invincible' album, and he strongly implied that the album would have sounded cleaner if they used Pro Tools (which is a digital way of recording), instead of using Analog (which is a analog way of recording).

But Michael Jackson insisted on using Analog, because he was not only uncomfortable with Pro Tools but also he was a little scared of this technique.

"I like digital because it's a lot cleaner, but I love the warmth of Analog. Sometimes I use both. We record everything in Pro Tools. The last time I used Analog was on Michael Jackson in 2000. He was a little scared of Pro Tools. We tried to get him to use it, but he didn't want to go that route yet and I understand: He came from the school of Analog" (Rodney Jerkins, Mixonline.com)

Also, many fans want the 'Invincible' album to be produced and mixed again but using this time real musical instruments because they like the sound of the 'Threatened' song (with real musical instruments) that is played in the 'This Is It' film.
MJ already recorded the whole "Bad" album in digital.

MJ already recorded the whole "Bad" album in digital.
The whole 'BAD' album was recorded in Analog, as both Michael Jackson and Bruce Swedien did not like digital recording.

"I developed a thing called the Acusonic Recording Process … Quincy [Jones] wanted a name for the process that I used when I recorded Michael's stuff, because what I did was record all of the tracks analogue first … The sound of pure analogue 24-track, 2-track, or even mono is very warm and musical … So I recorded it in analogue … I decided to use all of the analogue tracks in pairs to create stereophonic recordings" (Bruce Swedien, reverb.com)

Then, Bruce Swedien reproduced the whole 'BAD' album in digital, and he also decided to preserve it in digital.

The whole 'BAD' album was recorded in Analog, as both Michael Jackson and Bruce Swedien did not like digital recording.

"I developed a thing called the Acusonic Recording Process … Quincy [Jones] wanted a name for the process that I used when I recorded Michael's stuff, because what I did was record all of the tracks analogue first … The sound of pure analogue 24-track, 2-track, or even mono is very warm and musical … So I recorded it in analogue … I decided to use all of the analogue tracks in pairs to create stereophonic recordings" (Bruce Swedien, reverb.com)

Then, Bruce Swedien reproduced the whole 'BAD' album in digital, and he also decided to preserve it in digital.
Can you post a link, where we can listen digital BAD album?

The vinyls aren't as compressed as the other formats.

The Invincible vinyl from 2001 is using the exact same master as the one intended for the CD versions, literally no changes were done to it, so it sounds just like the CD but worse because a CD master isn't meant to be on an analog record.

The story is different with the Music On Vinyl reissue from 2009, though.
That one is still using a digital master that's heavily compressed, but at least this time they did master it properly for playback on LP.

The Invincible vinyl from 2001 is using the exact same master as the one intended for the CD versions, literally no changes were done to it, so it sounds just like the CD but worse because a CD master isn't meant to be on an analog record.

The story is different with the Music On Vinyl reissue from 2009, though.
That one is still using a digital master that's heavily compressed, but at least this time they did master it properly for playback on LP.
I didn't know that. I'll check out my copies this weekend.

Back