Small but hard Q/A about "Invincible stuff" for true fans

1. That was the sound of Michaels stomach growling run through a modulator.

2. They overlaid my voice over MJs.

3. We don't know. Michael loved to tour.

4. It's genuinely one of the coolest dances ever. It goes viral all the time.
How to dislike that

It's not weird.
Weird. It's the only weird MJ's move i have ever seen. But frankly saying YRMW video has the worst choreography (comparing with others music videos) in MJ's music video history... Even One More Chance, where Michael mostly just improvises, has better choreography

Wasn't it that MJ still owed Sony 1 more album back then? Hypothetically speaking he could've made an album to promote the tour.
Michael Jackson himself stated in the Killer Thriller Party (London, 2002) that he just owes Sony 1 more album, and more specifically a box set with 2 new songs.

But even if he owed Sony 1 more new studio album (with new songs), that would again have been practically impossible.

Note that Michael Jackson's practice was to make and release a new studio album roughly every 4-5 years.

This means that making and releasing a new studio album in less than 1 year (after the previous 'Invincible' album) was something out of the question for him.

Michael Jackson himself stated in the Killer Thriller Party (London, 2002) that he just owes Sony 1 more album, and more specifically a box set with 2 new songs.

But even if he owed Sony 1 more new studio album (with new songs), that would again have been practically impossible.

Note that Michael Jackson's practice was to make and release a new studio album roughly every 4-5 years.

This means that making and releasing a new studio album in less than 1 year (after the previous 'Invincible' album) was something out of the question for him.
Eventually Sony was tired of waiting and just forced him to release box set with lots of new songs.... But as far as i know, new album (after TII tour) would be released without Sony's involvement... But what label could release his new album? Maybe that is the main reason why he always delayed his new album (starting from 2006), because he didn't find label to cooperate with?

Eventually Sony was tired of waiting and just forced him to release box set with lots of new songs.... But as far as i know, new album (after TII tour) would be released without Sony's involvement... But what label could release his new album? Maybe that is the main reason why he always delayed his new album (starting from 2006), because he didn't find label to cooperate with?
The main reason why Michael Jackson always delayed his new studio album (starting from 2006) was because he could not find a big label to co-operate with.

Two Seas Records label proved to be too small and too insufficient for his new studio album and comeback (Two Seas Records label was suitable for newbie artists, not for established artists like Michael Jackson).

Only a big label could undertake all these big costs of his new studio album and comeback (such as, album production costs, marketing costs, distribution costs).

His new studio album (during or after the 'This Is It' tour) was reportedly going to get release under AEG (via the Interscope Records label), just like the case of Madonna's 'MDNA' album (2012).

BOTDF came out less than 2 years after HIStory so it would've been possible, especially considering that there were plenty of outtakes from Invincible that were pretty much done at that time.

Weird. It's the only weird MJ's move i have ever seen. But frankly saying YRMW video has the worst choreography (comparing with others music videos) in MJ's music video history... Even One More Chance, where Michael mostly just improvises, has better choreography
There is no way the Fred Astaire walk is weirder than crotch grabbing.

BOTDF came out less than 2 years after HIStory so it would've been possible, especially considering that there were plenty of outtakes from Invincible that were pretty much done at that time.
The 'Blood On The Dance Floor' album does not count in this regard because it was a strange hybrid album and it came as a result of a strange compromise.

As author Lynton Guest writes, this strange hybrid album was part of Sony's campaign to manipulate the singer (to Sony's advantage).

In the end, Sony managed to outsmart and manipulate the singer, and the author explains why:

At first, Sony made it clear to Michael Jackson that they were demanding 10 new songs and they knew that he would resist (because he did not want to release a new studio album with 10 new songs at that time).

Michael Jackson was forced to compromise in the end (5 new songs plus 8 remixes), which was also seen by certain analysts as Sony's victory.

The 'Blood On The Dance Floor' album does not count in this regard because it was a strange hybrid album and it came as a result of a strange compromise.

As author Lynton Guest writes, this strange hybrid album was part of Sony's campaign to manipulate the singer (to Sony's advantage).

In the end, Sony managed to outsmart and manipulate the singer, and the author explains why:

At first, Sony made it clear to Michael Jackson that they were demanding 10 new songs and they knew that he would resist (because he did not want to release a new studio album with 10 new songs at that time).

Michael Jackson was forced to compromise in the end (5 new songs plus 8 remixes), which was also seen by certain analysts as Sony's victory.
So in the end Sony could and did force MJ to make a new album to promote his tour? Honestly why even have this discussion about an album and a tour that never even existed lol

So in the end Sony could and did force MJ to make a new album to promote his tour? Honestly why even have this discussion about an album and a tour that never even existed lol
Yeah, he said they couldn't force MJ to release music, except for that time they did force him to release music lol.

Itā€™s an interesting one though isnā€™t it, as much as we all think he wouldnā€™t put out sub material, and then Invincible came out which just wasnā€™t up to the standard but I think thatā€™s because itā€™s bloated with deadweight rather than having no good songs. I canā€™t see him throwing out any old shit just to fulfill a contract. He wanted those songs on that album because he liked them.

Maybe this will be useful. This is from Frank's book: "I've seen Michael experiment with these kinds of sounds himself. He would record the rumble of a door closer's spring and then play with it, mixing it with a snare drum to create a completely unique and original sound. One day Michael put the microphone in a bag with rocks and toys and bits of metal, strapped it to the outside of a DAT machine wrapped in cushioning cushions, and threw the whole thing down the stairs, then took the sounds from the bag, laid them out on the console, and mixed them in harmony.On the Invincible album, these unusual effects are heard in the songs "Invincible", "Heartbreaker", "Unbreakable" and "Threatened""

This framing is so weird. Evil Sony forcing MJ to release music lol. MJ had a contract and a compromise was made which made both parties happy enough.

Maybe this will be useful. This is from Frank's book: "I've seen Michael experiment with these kinds of sounds himself. He would record the rumble of a door closer's spring and then play with it, mixing it with a snare drum to create a completely unique and original sound. One day Michael put the microphone in a bag with rocks and toys and bits of metal, strapped it to the outside of a DAT machine wrapped in cushioning cushions, and threw the whole thing down the stairs, then took the sounds from the bag, laid them out on the console, and mixed them in harmony.On the Invincible album, these unusual effects are heard in the songs "Invincible", "Heartbreaker", "Unbreakable" and "Threatened""
EXACTLY! I always imagine some kind of rocks or stones, while listen "threatened" song. It even reminds me some old movies with tombs excavation and so on

One day Michael put the microphone in a bag with rocks and toys and bits of metal, strapped it to the outside of a DAT machine wrapped in cushioning cushions, and threw the whole thing down the stairs, then took the sounds from the bag, laid them out on the console, and mixed them in harmony.
So he COULD play an instrument after all! šŸ˜

Wasn't the dance from 'Rock My World' also inspired by 'The Bandwagon'..? I've definitely seen those moves before

This framing is so weird. Evil Sony forcing MJ to release music lol. MJ had a contract and a compromise was made which made both parties happy enough.
Evil Sony wouldn't force him to release music until at least 2001 lol. 1997 is too soon on the timetable.

The whole album badly needs a new mix to open it up, or at least an uncompressed master.

Production-wise, some of these songs might be amongst the most intricate in Michael's career, but you can't hear anything properly. We need a version that sounds as clean and open as HIStory & Dangerous.

The only project Michael oversaw himself that I think would be improved by someone else, now that he's no longer here.

The whole album badly needs a new mix to open it up, or at least an uncompressed master.

Production-wise, some of these songs might be amongst the most intricate in Michael's career, but you can't hear anything properly. We need a version that sounds as clean and open as HIStory & Dangerous.

The only project Michael oversaw himself that I think would be improved by someone else, now that he's no longer here.
True, but I had the same feeling with Dangerous in comparison to the previous albums: his voice felt muffled away and unclear

the sad reality is MJ was going through a bad patch in life, he could have made it work and gone on tour but other matters played a part. Sony and the only ones to blame

A Made for Apple Music Tier Remaster would be so nice.

Rodney Jerkins spoke about the sound of the 'Invincible' album, and he strongly implied that the album would have sounded cleaner if they used Pro Tools (which is a digital way of recording), instead of using Analog (which is a analog way of recording).

But Michael Jackson insisted on using Analog, because he was not only uncomfortable with Pro Tools but also he was a little scared of this technique.

"I like digital because it's a lot cleaner, but I love the warmth of Analog. Sometimes I use both. We record everything in Pro Tools. The last time I used Analog was on Michael Jackson in 2000. He was a little scared of Pro Tools. We tried to get him to use it, but he didn't want to go that route yet and I understand: He came from the school of Analog" (Rodney Jerkins, Mixonline.com)

Also, many fans want the 'Invincible' album to be produced and mixed again but using this time real musical instruments because they like the sound of the 'Threatened' song (with real musical instruments) that is played in the 'This Is It' film.

Reactions: xam
Back