Smooth Criminal and Who Is It: Alternate music videos

Elton-Cetera

Proud Member
Do any of you remember when MTV and VH1 used to play a sped up version of the Smooth Criminal music video?

Do you remember the original music video for Who Is It, which just showed clips of Michael Jackson from all of his other music videos?

I can't find these on youtube.

Do any of you remember when MTV and VH1 used to play a sped up version of the Smooth Criminal music video?

Do you remember the original music video for Who Is It, which just showed clips of Michael Jackson from all of his other music videos?

I can't find these on youtube.

The Who Is It one was only shown in the USA I think, because the single came out earlier there than in the rest of the world, because of Michael doing Who Is It beatbox in the Oprah interview. But at that time the proper video had not been made yet.

There was even an edit with the beatboxing in the intro on US single CDs:

The Who Is It one was only shown in the USA I think, because the single came out earlier there than in the rest of the world, because of Michael doing Who Is It beatbox in the Oprah interview. But at that time the proper video had not been made yet.

Yea he didn't finished it because of scheduling conflicts & when they used an impersonator he was just like no..... no release for that.

Electro;4276553 said:

wonderouzmj;4276562 said:
Yea he didn't finished it because of scheduling conflicts & when they used an impersonator he was just like no..... no release for that.

His beat box of the ‘Who Is It’ song at the Oprah Winfrey interview is quite irrelevant.

Shana Mangatal (Michael Jackson’s secretary at the Gallin Morey company during that period) set the record straight when she revealed some years ago the real reason why the ‘Who Is It’ music video eventually came out with two different versions.

Because of her access to many exclusive areas at that time, Shana Mangatal can be considered a reliable source when it comes to such information.

So, what really happened was this:

Michael Jackson was not satisfied at all with the way he looked on the ‘Who Is It’ music video, while the shooting of that video was still in process.

He phoned Shana Mangatal immediately and he asked from her if it was possible to change the way he looked on that video (in the post-production stage, or, even by re-shooting it from scratch).

Shana Mangatal then contacted Sandy Gallin about Michael Jackson’s urgent request.

Sandy Gallin, in turn, contacted Sony Music.

But Sony Music refused to re-shoot that video (or, at least, to make changes in the post-production stage) because its shooting had already cost a fortune to the record company.

So, Michael Jackson decided not to shoot the rest of that music video’s scenes, resulting in the use of an impersonator by David Fincher (the director) for those remaining scenes.

Michael Jackson also asked from Sony Music to re-shoot his first scenes but executives of the record company refused again.

These conflicts also led to that version of the ‘Who Is It’ music video that first aired in the USA (which was a mixture of some of his previous music videos and his live performances).

Do we know exactly when the "Who Is It" Fincher video shooting and Michaels requests to edit things took place?

If not, then Shana's story doesn't necessarily contradict the impression that the "Who is It" single was rushed in the USA anyway, because of the beatboxing at Oprah.

The fact that the special beatboxing single edit (see video above) was on "Who Is It" USA single CDs with a reference to Oprah in the title and stickers on the CDs shows that Sony for some reason saw an important sales pitch in that.

During the Oprah TV interview the music video for "Give In To Me" was also premiered. "Give It To Me" was then the new single globally, apart from USA, where "Who Is It" was released with that montage video.

In mean if Michael was unhappy with Fincher's Who Is It video prior to the Oprah interview, why would the "Who Is It" single be rushed, and, even more strange, only in the USA? Doesn't make sense really.

On the other hand it also doesn't make much sense that "Give In To Me" with Slash (of Guns n'Roses - a huge rock group at the time) was not released as a single in the USA at all. Why was the video premiered during Oprah then and not the "Who Is It" montage video?

I guess there were some more things that went on behind the scenes to properly expain all that.

Edit...
I got the timeline a little wrong, don't mind my 2 previous posts.
uglyroll.gif

Who Is It actually came out as a single in the Europe long before the USA. So by the time of the US single release and the Oprah interview the Fincher video was definitly available.

Juli/August, 1992
Who is it single in Europe (with Fincher video)

February 10, 1993
Oprah interview with Give In To Me video premiere

Februar 10, 1993
Give In To Me single Europe, Australia, New Zealand

March 29, 1993
Who is it single USA (with montage video)

Remains the question, why the Give In To Me single was not released in the USA as well in Februray 1993. It couldn't have gotten a better boost. According to Wikipedia, the Oprah interview "became the fourth most-watched event in American television history as well as the most watched interview ever, with an audience of 36.5 million.". Instead: no single, and then "Who Is It" almost 2 months later.

Last edited:
yes i remember that WII version. As others have said SC have been uploaded to M 's channel. Which is cool.

Last edited:
mj_frenzy;4276594 said:
His beat box of the ‘Who Is It’ song at the Oprah Winfrey interview is quite irrelevant.

Shana Mangatal (Michael Jackson’s secretary at the Gallin Morey company during that period) set the record straight when she revealed some years ago the real reason why the ‘Who Is It’ music video eventually came out with two different versions.

Because of her access to many exclusive areas at that time, Shana Mangatal can be considered a reliable source when it comes to such information.

So, what really happened was this:

Michael Jackson was not satisfied at all with the way he looked on the ‘Who Is It’ music video, while the shooting of that video was still in process.

He phoned Shana Mangatal immediately and he asked from her if it was possible to change the way he looked on that video (in the post-production stage, or, even by re-shooting it from scratch).

Shana Mangatal then contacted Sandy Gallin about Michael Jackson’s urgent request.

Sandy Gallin, in turn, contacted Sony Music.

But Sony Music refused to re-shoot that video (or, at least, to make changes in the post-production stage) because its shooting had already cost a fortune to the record company.

So, Michael Jackson decided not to shoot the rest of that music video’s scenes, resulting in the use of an impersonator by David Fincher (the director) for those remaining scenes.

Michael Jackson also asked from Sony Music to re-shoot his first scenes but executives of the record company refused again.

These conflicts also led to that version of the ‘Who Is It’ music video that first aired in the USA (which was a mixture of some of his previous music videos and his live performances).

bet It was the stuffy suit. i bet he hated being all strussed up in that that yellowy shirt and black tie on his neck.

edit - for some reason i remember it being a wide yellow kipper tie ?

Last edited:
Electro;4276607 said:
Do we know exactly when the "Who Is It" Fincher video shooting and Michaels requests to edit things took place?

If not, then Shana's story doesn't necessarily contradict the impression that the "Who is It" single was rushed in the USA anyway, because of the beatboxing at Oprah.

The fact that the special beatboxing single edit (see video above) was on "Who Is It" USA single CDs with a reference to Oprah in the title and stickers on the CDs shows that Sony for some reason saw an important sales pitch in that.

During the Oprah TV interview the music video for "Give In To Me" was also premiered. "Give It To Me" was then the new single globally, apart from USA, where "Who Is It" was released with that montage video.

In mean if Michael was unhappy with Fincher's Who Is It video prior to the Oprah interview, why would the "Who Is It" single be rushed, and, even more strange, only in the USA? Doesn't make sense really.

On the other hand it also doesn't make much sense that "Give In To Me" with Slash (of Guns n'Roses - a huge rock group at the time) was not released as a single in the USA at all. Why was the video premiered during Oprah then and not the "Who Is It" montage video?

I guess there were some more things that went on behind the scenes to properly expain all that.

Edit...
I got the timeline a little wrong, don't mind my 2 previous posts.
uglyroll.gif

Who Is It actually came out as a single in the Europe long before the USA. So by the time of the US single release and the Oprah interview the Fincher video was definitly available.

Juli/August, 1992
Who is it single in Europe (with Fincher video)

February 10, 1993
Oprah interview with Give In To Me video premiere

Februar 10, 1993
Give In To Me single Europe, Australia, New Zealand

March 29, 1993
Who is it single USA (with montage video)

Remains the question, why the Give In To Me single was not released in the USA as well in Februray 1993. It couldn't have gotten a better boost. According to Wikipedia, the Oprah interview "became the fourth most-watched event in American television history as well as the most watched interview ever, with an audience of 36.5 million.". Instead: no single, and then "Who Is It" almost 2 months later.

It was reported back then that the ‘Give In To Me’ single was actually scheduled to get a release in USA at that time (around February - March 1993).

But eventually it was cancelled in favour of the ‘Who Is It’ single USA release in the same period.

That was an odd decision because these two songs were of different musical genres, and they could have easily been released simultaneously in USA, and charting also on different USA chart categories at the same time.

wendijane;4276731 said:
bet It was the stuffy suit. i bet he hated being all strussed up in that that yellowy shirt and black tie on his neck.

edit - for some reason i remember it being a wide yellow kipper tie ?

It was not the stuffy suit that he was wearing in the ‘Who Is It’ music video, nor was it the shirt and black tie on his neck.

Right after watching a rough cut of that music video, Michael Jackson did not like at all how his face looked in that video.

He thought that he looked like a monkey.

Here are Michael Jackson's exact words about that:

“… I look like a monkey… Is there any way we can change it in post-production?...” (Michael Jackson)

His very bad reaction regarding that video also shows how deeply his insecurities (about his physical appearance) were rooted in him, because even when he looked beautiful (like, in these first scenes of that video) he still was not satisfied.

Yes, I remember when those used to play on Vh1 and stuff. I liked when they had a whole day marathon around the time he passed away.

Yes, I remember when those used to play on Vh1 and stuff. I liked when they had a whole day marathon around the time he passed away.

Oh yeah me too. I wish they still do it at least on his birthday or the day he passed. it doesn't have to be long though. at least an hour or two long. but most people use YouTube now so. I get what you mean. they was showing a lot stuff and stuff we never saw online. though that was the end of the 2000's so things changed since then.

wait. I have Smooth Criminal Moonwalker version 8:28, but only mp3 file. Is that from vh1 or MTV?

Back