Smooth Criminal

matthewlowe1980

Proud Member
Hi all :) Is there a difference between the original "Bad" album version of Smooth Criminal and the 7" single version?!

matthewlowe1980;4094512 said:
Hi all :) Is there a difference between the original "Bad" album version of Smooth Criminal and the 7" single version?!

There are different, officially released mixes of the 'BAD' album, so it depends on what version of the album you are referring to.

In any case, the 7’’ edition is available here:

http://nix.fm/michael-jackson-smooth-criminal-7-version

Personally, I find more interesting the full, original version of the song (uncut second verse plus two choruses):

[video=youtube;RscEFwvUPKo]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RscEFwvUPKo[/video]

The official 2nd verse goes like this:
So they came into the outway
It was Sunday, what a black day
Mouth to mouth resuscitation
Sounding heartbeats intimidations

But in this the MJ's Vision version:

From 3:29 to 3:37 there seems to be a few extra verse lines.

But in this the MJ's Vision version:

From 3:29 to 3:37 there seems to be a few extra verse lines.

The extra lines (3:29 - 3:37):

"Every time I tried to find him
He's leaving no clues left behind him
And they had no way of knowing
Of the suspect or what to expect"

Last edited:
The extra lines (3:29 - 3:37):

"Every time I tried to find him
He's leaving no clues left behind him
And they had no way of knowing
Of the suspect or what to expect"

Also, Michael did sing this extra lines when he sang it Live at MSG 1988.

mj_frenzy;4094567 said:
There are different, officially released mixes of the 'BAD' album, so it depends on what version of the album you are referring to.

Personally, I find more interesting the full, original version of the song (uncut second verse plus two choruses):

It sais it leaked in 2013?
I dont have it, where can i find it in good quality?

It sais it leaked in 2013?
I dont have it, where can i find it in good quality?

There are better versions around, mostly fanmade but the one above doesnt sound that good, the music was clearly taken from Moonwalker. I'm sure you can find the extended version if you search the forum, I think I downloaded it from here

There are better versions around, mostly fanmade but the one above doesnt sound that good, the music was clearly taken from Moonwalker. I'm sure you can find the extended version if you search the forum, I think I downloaded it from here

So was real demo with those second verses leaked or is it fanmade?

is it so hard to hear? :)
that first video with the "original recording from 1986" is a fanmade edit/reconstruction, cutting parts of different versions together.
there are big diffrences in the audio quality and mixdowns of the different versions.

this edit is probably mainly based on the moonwalker version but replacing the parts where in the movie there
are overdubs (sounds, effects etc). so a full version hasn't leaked.

i can't remember any more... is that "lost" verse actually included in the official extended dance mixes?

Last edited:
Thanks :) It's the original U.K./European CD of "Bad" I have from 1987, pressed in Japan. As far as I know that has all the original mixes doesn't it? Is that the 7" version of Smooth Criminal on there then?

mj_frenzy;4094567 said:

innuendo141;4094616 said:

I hope an official, uncut version of ‘Smooth Criminal’ will come to light someday.

matthewlowe1980;4094686 said:
Thanks :) It's the original U.K./European CD of "Bad" I have from 1987, pressed in Japan. As far as I know that has all the original mixes doesn't it? Is that the 7" version of Smooth Criminal on there then?

So, you are referring to the first pressings (original U.K./European CD, Japanese pressing, 1987) of the ‘BAD’ album that include the breathing part of ‘Smooth Criminal’ (& also the spoken intro of ‘I Just Can’t Stop Lovin’ You’).

The 7’’ edition of ‘Smooth Criminal’ is most likely to be on this album version.

Psychoniff;4094691 said:
Why'd he leave it out?

Many tracks on the ‘BAD’ album had to undergo a lot of shortenings due to CD time limits. So, they removed also those few lines from ‘Smooth Criminal’.

1nn5;4094714 said:

Pretty rare, live vocals of ‘Smooth Criminal’.

Thank you very much!

mj_frenzy;4094731 said:
I hope an official, uncut version of ‘Smooth Criminal’ will come to light someday.

So, you are referring to the first pressings (original U.K./European CD, Japanese pressing, 1987) of the ‘BAD’ album that include the breathing part of ‘Smooth Criminal’ (& also the spoken intro of ‘I Just Can’t Stop Lovin’ You’).

The 7’’ edition of ‘Smooth Criminal’ is most likely to be on this album version.

Yep it's the original with the breathing part. Is that exactly the same as the 7" version then? And yes the version of IJCSLY with the intro (also the 7" version I believe!), as well as the full-length version of Dirty Diana and the original mix of Bad (with the horns still in tact).

The 12" and CD versions of SC were the first maxi singles Mj brought out.

I loved buying 12" singles in those days. The Bad long version with the fade out and the great mixes of SC.

Was always surprised the full version with extra lines weren't in it though. I had to make do with recording it off my VHS tape (ask your Dads)!

matthewlowe1980;4094788 said:
Yep it's the original with the breathing part. Is that exactly the same as the 7" version then? And yes the version of IJCSLY with the intro (also the 7" version I believe!), as well as the full-length version of Dirty Diana and the original mix of Bad (with the horns still in tact).

I think this specific 7’’ single version of 'Smooth Criminal' (1988) was taken from the original version of the ‘BAD’ album (1987).

But, as you may know, this did not apply necessarily to all the other songs (of the ‘BAD’ album) that were released as singles, because when a single version of the song was released it would then (usually) take the place of the album’s version (of that song). As a result, there are 8 -10 different versions of the ‘BAD’ album.

The 12" and CD versions of SC were the first maxi singles Mj brought out.

hmm.. nope. There were 6 Singles released from the BAD album before Smooth Criminal, and they all also came as 12" maxis.
There were also 12" maxis for the singles from Thriller and Off The Wall.
"Ease On Down The Road" and several "The Jacksons" singles had 12" maxis too with extended mixes.

Back