Songs that only just missed out on inclusion on an album?

It was more or less the same. Some additional overdubs were done in Switzerland in early 1997.
I believe the devils are in the details. Riley’s early demos were always groovier, and funkier than what actually made it onto the record (In the closet is a good example). I bet the groove of BOTDF has enough subtle differences that makes it feels really different, not to mention that he sung the verses from sunset driver in the demo.

It was more or less the same. Some additional overdubs were done in Switzerland in early 1997.
To my understanding, Brad Buxer literally had to recreate the music from scratch, since MJ didn’t have the multitrack on hand. I’d imagine it stayed much the same, with some general differences.

To my understanding, Brad Buxer literally had to recreate the music from scratch, since MJ didn’t have the multitrack on hand. I’d imagine it stayed much the same, with some general differences.
Seems like the multitrack was lost from Teddy and Brad did a real miracle ro recreate that

Last edited:
To my understanding, Brad ended up utilizing the original recording of the track (a copy he was given to use as a reference, since, well, no multitracks.) as part of the final version, because MJ wasn't satisfied with how Buxer's recreation of the drums and other instruments sounded like.
So 1991 BOTDF is quite literally the exact same track but without Brad's overdubs and MJ vocals, iirc that same track that was used as a reference is a part of the leaked stems.

To my understanding, Brad ended up utilizing the original recording of the track (a copy he was given to use as a reference, since, well, no multitracks.) as part of the final version, because MJ wasn't satisfied with how Buxer's recreation of the drums and other instruments sounded like.
So 1991 BOTDF is quite literally the exact same track but without Brad's overdubs and MJ vocals, iirc that same track that was used as a reference is a part of the leaked stems.

It is part of the stems yeah

The 'Dangerous' album would not have benefited from the inclusion of the 'Someone Put Your Hand Out' song.

'Someone Put Your Hand Out' is a mundane, dull and prosaic ballad, and the fact that Michael Jackson sings in falsetto makes the song even more unbearable for the listener.

Besides, 'Someone Put Your Hand Out' could not coexist with 'Will You Be There' on the same album (they resemble even to their background vocals).
That is why Teddy Riley became very angry when Michael Jackson released that song in 1997 without asking him first.

Teddy Riley would have given the 'Blood On The Dance Floor' song a more current sound (for the 1997 release), and that it would have made the song more appealing and more successful.

The 'Dangerous' album would not have benefited from the inclusion of the 'Someone Put Your Hand Out' song.

'Someone Put Your Hand Out' is a mundane, dull and prosaic ballad, and the fact that Michael Jackson sings in falsetto makes the song even more unbearable for the listener.

Besides, 'Someone Put Your Hand Out' could not coexist with 'Will You Be There' on the same album (they resemble even to their background vocals).

That is why Teddy Riley became very angry when Michael Jackson released that song in 1997 without asking him first.

Teddy Riley would have given the 'Blood On The Dance Floor' song a more current sound (for the 1997 release), and that it would have made the song more appealing and more successful.
Someone put your hand out is one of MJ’s greatest ballads. I rank it among his greatest love songs.

I don't care for She Drives Me Wild but I am glad to have the inclusion of Keep The Faith and Heal The World on Dangerous.
Honestly She Drives Me Wild and Can't Let Her Get Away are two of my favorite tracks on Dangerous, ironically enough those two are always the ones that get kicked out of the album when people ask "how would you change the tracklist of Dangerous?" haha

While I would have loved SPYHO to be on Dangerous I just cannot leave out any of the 14 tracks that many of us point out as weak. I can not imagine Dangerous without gone too soon, she drives me wild or keep the faith.

Michael was on a creative roll since the mid 80s till the release of Dangerous. It is clear to me that his confidence as a songwriter after Thriller grew substantially.

Quite a few of the best tracks of the HIStory era for example were already (partly) recorded in the late 80s or even earlier (little Susie, TDCAU, Earth Song, BOTDF and of course the very inspired Beatles cover come together).

out: SDMW, CLHGA, GTS
in: BOTDF, SPYHO, FAT

replace BoW w/ its single version & WYBT with Free Willy version

is it just me or did the topic of the initial thread completely change by now? thread got so off-topic..

I am sorry but I really do not care what every individual fan wishes to be included or excluded. That was not the purpose to discuss here!

I love Dangerous too much to change it but I love SPYHO, it's such a fantastic song and it stands out from most of Mike's songs because it's so raw and honest lyrically.
His falsetto is fantastic

IMO Dangerous is his best album, but if changes were to be made, I would have cut Why You Wanna Trip On Me, She's Driving Me Wild and Can't Let Her Get Away-(my fav between these 3), in favor of stronger tracks. Keep The Faith was fantastic and IMO would have been a hit had it been a single.

Going back to the topic of this thread... does Much Too Soon count? was it actually considered for release on HIStory?
'Much Too Soon' originally belongs to the 'Thriller' album sessions, when Michael Jackson wrote it and he apparently recorded it for the first time (for inclusion on the 'Thriller' album).

But he did not appear to be satisfied with that song at that time.

He re-recorded 'Much Too Soon' in 1994 (for the 'HIStory' album), but again he did not appear to be satisfied with that song.

As a result, although the song was considered also for the 'HIStory' album, it was not a strong contender for that album.

I always wonder how they decided which songs to work on with the "A Team"?

When you look at the demo's we have from the Bad era they're all pretty strong, but it seems that they worked on the 11 tracks that made the record and Streetwalker.
Did the other demo's not get worked on by the "A Team"?

I believe the devils are in the details. Riley’s early demos were always groovier, and funkier than what actually made it onto the record (In the closet is a good example). I bet the groove of BOTDF has enough subtle differences that makes it feels really different, not to mention that he sung the verses from sunset driver in the demo.
Source?

Interesting! This is totally different from the version that’s been going around over the years, but nothing new there.

I agree that SPYHO wouldn’t fit on Dangerous on a musical standpoint, but I couldn’t disagree more about its quality. It’s stunning. I don’t think Teddy Riley was as groundbreaking as MJ seemed to, but he did a phenomenal job taking the mediocre demo and elevating it.

It was Shout that was cut from Invincible last second. A huge loss tbh.

On The Line and Morphine both were contenders for HIStory as well, were they not?

Buffalo Bill was kept off Victory. As was State of Shock with Freddie Mercury.

There were also several songs left off Michael & Xscape.

Buffalo Bill was kept off Victory. As was State of Shock with Freddie Mercury.

There were also several songs left off Michael & Xscape.
Michael and Xscape doesn't really makes sense to include, cause MJ was dead and did not record any songs for those albums... So there are no leftover from those albums.

There are many songs from the Invincible sessions.

Back