Spike Lee BAD 25 Documentary- DVD / Blu Ray [available on iTunes Nov 19]

Re: The Spike Lee BAD 25 Documentary [Discussion]

There is still no word when it will be released in theatres?

131 minutes !!!

GREAT - And when released on Blu-Ray hopefully a lot of extra material too !! :)

Schedule announced August 21

Film Information

Director:Spike Lee
Year:2012
Language:English
Runtime:131 minutes
Exec. Producer:John Branca, John McClain, Antonio L.A. Reid
Producer:Spike Lee
Production Co.:Optimum Productions
Cinematographer:Kerwin DeVonish
Editor:Barry Alexander Brown

:woohoo:
kermit.gif
:timer:

Spike Lee revisits Jackson's 'Bad' at Toronto fest
By By DAVID GERMAIN | Associated Press – 3 hrs ago

•Associated Press/Toronto International Film Festival - This film image released by the Toronto International Film Festival shows Kanye West in a scene from the Spike Lee documentary "Bad 25."

LOS ANGELES (AP) — Music is highlighting the Toronto International Film Festival with a Michael Jackson documentary from Spike Lee and a closing-night film featuring Vanessa Redgraveas a terminally ill choir singer.

Organizers announced Tuesday that Redgrave's "Song for Marion" will close next month's Toronto festival, which runs Sept. 6 to 16 and is one of the key cinema gatherings that kick off Hollywood's fall movie lineup and Academy Awards season. The film directed byPaul Andrew Williams co-stars Terence Stamp and Gemma Arterton.

Lee's documentary "Bad 25" also is playing the festival, marking the 25th anniversary of Jackson's 1987 album "Bad." The film features footage shot by Jackson himself along with interviews with such stars and music producers as Mariah Carey, Kanye West, Sheryl Crow and L.A. Reid.

Toronto planners announced dozens of other films to round out its 11-day run, among them Peter Webber's "Emperor," starring Tommy Lee Jones as Gen. Douglas MacArthur in the aftermath of Japan's defeat in World War II; Dante Ariola's "Arthur Newman," a romance with Colin Firth andEmily Blunt centered on a former golf hot shot who became a notorious choker on the pro circuit; and Brian De Palma's "Passion," an erotic thriller featuring Rachel McAdams and Noomi Rapace.

Other Toronto highlights include Lee Daniels' "The Paperboy," a murder tale set in 1960s Florida that stars Nicole Kidman, Matthew McConaughey, John Cusack and Zac Efron; Harmony Korine's "Spring Breakers," with James Franco, Selena Gomez and Vanessa Hudgens in a tale of college girls on a wild vacation; Paul Thomas Anderson's "The Master," starring Joaquin Phoenix, Amy Adams and Philip Seymour Hoffman in the story of a World War II Navy veteran drawn into a cult by a charismatic leader; and Scott McGehee and David Siegel's "What Maisie Knew," with Julianne Moore and Steve Coogan in an adaptation of a Henry James tale about a girl caught in a custody battle.

Among previously announced films at Toronto are the opening-night premiere "Looper," a sci-fi thriller starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis and Blunt; Keira Knightley's Leo Tolstoy adaptation "Anna Karenina," featuring Jude Law and Aaron Taylor-Johnson; [lexicon]Ben[/lexicon] Affleck's Iran hostage rescue saga "Argo," co-starring Bryan Cranston and John Goodman; and Robert Redford's fugitive manhunt tale "The Company You Keep," co-starring Shia LaBeouf, Susan Sarandon and Terrence Howard.

Along with the Venice and Telluride festivals that precede it, Toronto typically is a prime launch spot for many Oscar contenders. Among past Oscar winners that played the Toronto festival were "The King's Speech," ''The Hurt Locker," ''Slumdog Millionaire" and "Crash."

Required source link added by MJJC Staff
http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap...PU6HUA?docId=0691ee9b027947e19ab7fced7064e15a

And when released on Blu-Ray hopefully a lot of extra material too !!

I hope the extras will consist of actual unedited footage of Michael without voice-over, not just outtakes from the interviews.

And I will re-post what I posted in another thread...

How cool would it be if they edited all the concert footage they filmed for The Chase to make a full concert video with it? Something like Come Together or Man In The Mirror... That would make a nice bonus for the Spike Lee blu-ray.

[youtube]60bXzdHWAng[/youtube]

[youtube]60bXzdHWAng[/youtube]

Awe...some!! Starting to get really hyped! Had no expectations to this. Imagine if they show Michael working on unreleased songs as well.

Can't wait.

When is it coming out on Bluray? May have already been mentioned, but too lazy to check through the thread :fear:

When is it coming out on Bluray? May have already been mentioned, but too lazy to check through the thread :fear:

Nothing's been said, we've had no information where releases are confirmed unfortunately!

Expecting a HD rip of the documentary on MJJC as soon as it has aired on TV! :D

Nothing's been said, we've had no information where releases are confirmed unfortunately!

Ah, ok...I thought so...I'm super stoked it'll at least be on Bluray, doesn't really matter to me about a theatrical release, although that's pretty cool too :D

I think what I'm most excited about this feature is seeing the behind the scenes footage of them shooting "Bad" and "Smooth Criminal". Man, this is gonna be good. :)

I would really REALLY love to see the '88 Grammys performance in full - with no interruptions, that would be amazing. If not they surly have to talk about it and show snippets of it!!!
It is Michael's best TV performance I think. Yes even better than Motown25.

Or TWYMMF, Michael flirting with Tatjana :kiss_hand:

I think it will be pretty disappointing if it doesn't get a theatrical release - even if only a limited run in selected theatres. I've seen many music related docus and concerts appear at my local cinema, sometimes only a one-off showing. Bad 25 needs to be seen this way. If there's a showing on US TV way before other countries I will just find a torrent and watch it on my computer. Not as exciting.

I would really REALLY love to see the '88 Grammys performance in full - with no interruptions, that would be amazing. If not they surly have to talk about it and show snippets of it!!!
It is Michael's best TV performance I think. Yes even better than Motown25.

Nah i reckon motown 25 was the best it just had that cosmic atmosphere bout it that made it special

Expecting a HD rip of the documentary on MJJC as soon as it has aired on TV! :D

I know DEFINITELY for sure that will happen. Fans on MJJC is always on top of that :)

Nah i reckon motown 25 was the best it just had that cosmic atmosphere bout it
that made it special

Yea I hear what your saying, the magic of Motown25 and the timing of the show with Billie Jean and the first Moonwalk - But in terms of what Michael was doing on stage at the '88 Grammys - the singing the dancing the whole performance was above Motown25, and remember it was 1988 Bad era Michael's peak IMO.

Ok so Spike said around Thanksgiving. Is it November yet?

That's a great idea.

The major channels often air these special concerts on Thanksgiving. If it airs then, it will be great & should get amazing ratings.

That's a great idea.

The major channels often air these special concerts on Thanksgiving. If it airs then, it will be great & should get amazing ratings.

Sounds great!

I've got all the European channels including the paid packages, just need to know when it will air....

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1692141/michael-jackson-bad-25-thriller.jhtml

[h=1]Michael Jackson Wanted Bad To Outsell Thriller[/h][h=2]MJ was determined 'even though it was an impossible task,' Spike Lee tells MTV News ahead of his 'Bad 25' documentary.[/h]By Rob Markman (@RobMarkman)

There was no one who could compete with the King of Pop, so Michael Jackson looked to best himself. That's one of the things that Spike Lee learned about his friend MJ when putting together "Bad 25," a documentary centered on the making of Jackson's top-selling 1987 LP.

"I learned that, number one, he was very self-motivated," Spike recently told MTV News. "Even though it was an impossible task, Michael wanted Bad to outsell Thriller. And everywhere he'd go, he'd put up signs, write on mirrors in bathrooms: '100 million.' "

No doubt, Thriller was the crowning jewel in Jackson's awe-inspiring catalog, recognized as the best-selling album of all time. After Jackson's death in 2009, his album sales shot through the roof, with the RIAA estimating that Thriller had moved 29 million additional copies, not counting international sales. Since its 1982 release, it's estimated that Thriller has sold more than 110 million copies across the globe. Not that Bad was a slouch on the charts: The Thriller follow-up lands at #5 on the all-time list, believed to have sold at least 30 million copies worldwide.

"He always wanted to surpass what he had done previously and 100 million albums sold," Lee said. "He was determined to do that."
August 31 will mark the 25-year anniversary of Mike's Bad, and to celebrate, Epic Records will release Bad 25, a repackaged version of the album, on September 18. The collection will include Lee's documentary, unreleased demo songs, remixes, concert footage and, of course, the original LP.

http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1692141/michael-jackson-bad-25-thriller.jhtml

August 31 will mark the 25-year anniversary of Mike's Bad, and to celebrate, Epic Records will release Bad 25, a repackaged version of the album, on September 18. The collection will include Lee's documentary, unreleased demo songs, remixes, concert footage and, of course, the original LP.

God I hope so!!!! :yes: I might have to buy me a record player lol. Oh well, at least I can play my collection of LP's again haha.

Back