Spike Lee’s Annual Michael Jackson/Prince Block Party NY on August 26!

Paris78

Proud Member
Donations
$240.00
michael-jackson-spike-lee-block-party-august-bed-stuy-385x357.jpg

Whaddup Party People. It’s Finally OFFICIAL. I’m Elated To Announce That After A 4 Year Break ‘Cuz Of Covid We Are Having Your MICHAEL JACKSON💜PRINCE BLOCK PARTY On Saturday August 26th In Da Year Of Our LAWD 2023 From High Noon To 7pm At Fort Greene Park In Da People’s Republic Of Brooklyn. On Da Wheels Of Steels Da Mighty @DJSPINNA And Ya Already Know He’s A WINNER. Dis Will Be Da Party Of Da Year. It’s Gonna Be A L💜VEFEST For MJ And PRINCE. Come Dressed To Da Nines. Who You Reppin’❓Either Way It’s All L💜VE. We Gonna Sing And Dance So LOUDMichael And Prince Gonna Hear US. ‘Cuz Y’Know Spreadin’ 💜 Iz Da Brooklyn Way. And I’m Gonna Be Sippin’ Dem NUTCRACKERS😜😜

I don’t understand why prince is involved in this at all. the two of them were completely different artists and people. they were far from friends, and their birthdays are in different months.

I'm trying so hard to figure out a way to go to this. it is horrible timing in my life, but I NEED TO GO...

I don’t understand why prince is involved in this at all.
DJ Spinna has been doing Mike vs Prince parties since both were still alive. Spike Lee wasn't involved though. Spike did later have his own Mike & Prince NYC parties, usually separate. Here's an old thread started in 2008 about one. Anyway Mike & Prince have been linked together by the media since the 1980s. Like in the 1960s it was The Beatles vs Rolling Stones.

DJ Spinna has been doing Mike vs Prince parties since both were still alive. Spike Lee wasn't involved though. Spike did later have his own Mike & Prince NYC parties, usually separate. Here's an old thread started in 2008 about one. Anyway Mike & Prince have been linked together by the media since the 1980s. Like in the 1960s it was The Beatles vs Rolling Stones.
michael & prince are not a two-for-one deal. I didn’t like or understand the comparisons in the eighties, and I don’t like or understand them now.
spike used to have birthday celebrations for michael where he was only one being honoured on that particular day. I don’t see why that had to change.

michael & prince are not a two-for-one deal.
How bout a 3-4-1 then? 🤣 Since sometimes it was Mike, Prince, & Madonna linked together. They were all born in the same year, and Mike & Madonna in the same month. I even remember that Terence Trent D'Arby was said the be the new Michael Jackson/Prince or James Brown. If TTD's popularity had lasted longer, he probably would be put with them too and he might not have changed his name to Sananda.

How bout a 3-4-1 then? 🤣 Since sometimes it was Mike, Prince, & Madonna linked together. They were all born in the same year, and Mike & Madonna in the same month. I even remember that Terence Trent D'Arby was said the be the new Michael Jackson/Prince or James Brown. If TTD's popularity had lasted longer, he probably would be put with them too and he might not have changed his name to Sananda.
there are many artists past and present who are/were compared to michael. should we lump them all in the same category, and have michael relegated to being just another guest at his own celebration? they have their own legacies and can have their own parties in their honour.

there are many artists past and present who are/were compared to michael. should we lump them all in the same category, and have michael relegated to being just another guest at his own celebration? they have their own legacies and can have their own parties in their honour.
I don't care one way or the other. It's not a big deal to me. It's music, not a competition like sports where there is a winner or loser. At least some older music is still being celebrated & promoted today. Most older artists are mostly forgotten by the general public or ignored by the record labels and/or radio. If you listen to oldies or classic rock, they play the same 4 or 5 songs by the same singers/groups over and over. Also a lot of people listen to both Mike & Prince, that's why they're played together.

On a similar note, there is the Swizz Beats "Versus" battles in which 2 veteran artists actually participate in. It's just a fun thing for the audience.

F4QBKfNXEAALh5F

"PAR-TEE PEOPLE Asked For It And We Heard YA. Dis BK MJ/PRINCE PAR-TEE Will Be LIVE-STREAMED. Go To My BIO For Details On Friday. YA-DIGHO-NUFF. And Dat’s HOT THANG-HEE HEE HEE,Truth,Ruth. "- Spike Lee on Instagram.

Live stream link is here:
https://www.youtube.com/live/WEqqcOx5xXM?si=3B45MG37nZkK2nR0

Started 20 minutes late and it's buffering like crazy, so not a great start...

EDIT: The buffering issues got fixed. Come on in!

EDIT 2: The Youtube stream keeps getting suspended for copyright, so here's a link to DJ Spinna's Twitch to watch the stream:

Last edited:
Wow! This looks like the biggest crowd for this party since 2009!

I was able to go to the 2015 and 2018 block parties, and they were held in the middle of the streets. There were a lot of people back then, but this looks ten times bigger than either one! To be fair, since this year is the first celebration since pre-pandemic, and the people probably couldn't wait to get together again and celebrate the King!

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but he didn't have the block party in 2019, right?

That was the year after Black Klansman came out and Spike won his Oscars, so he was probably too busy to do it that year. In fact, I even remember him selling Black Klansman posters and merch at the 2018 party since it had JUST came out at the time.

Back