Stories in the Room: Michael Jackson's Thriller Album

mj_frenzy

Proud Member
most of us were aware that Michael danced as he recorded. did you know that engineer Bruce swedien build a wooden platform in the booth for him to do so? Michael would dance in between takes in the lobby as well.
That is true, but there is an exception to that.

The only time that Michael Jackson did not dance in the booth (as he recorded his up-tempo songs) was during the 'Invincible' album recording sessions.

"For the first time working on any album, I put a halt to dancing" (Michael Jackson, 2001)
Michael recorded his vocals at night. according to his vocal coach Seth Riggs, the voice opens up more after the body has been in a variety of positions during the day.
Yet, he also used to record his vocals at noon, ignoring in that way Seth Riggs' advice.

"If his vocals were scheduled for noon, he was there at 10 am with his vocal coach Seth [Riggs], singing scales" (Brad Sundberg)

zinniabooklover

Proud Member
Oh, that was fantastic! Just listened. Really enjoyed it. I'm not familiar with these guys so it was nice hearing these stories from a slightly different perspective. Once they hit their stride they did a really good job of painting a picture of what it was like working with Michael. Lovely!

laconcombremasque

Proud Member
@zinniabooklover i found the video
Thank you ! Will watch for sure !

83magic

Proud Member
That is true, but there is an exception to that.

The only time that Michael Jackson did not dance in the booth (as he recorded his up-tempo songs) was during the 'Invincible' album recording sessions.

"For the first time working on any album, I put a halt to dancing" (Michael Jackson, 2001)

Yet, he also used to record his vocals at noon, ignoring in that way Seth Riggs' advice.

"If his vocals were scheduled for noon, he was there at 10 am with his vocal coach Seth [Riggs], singing scales" (Brad Sundberg)
this is specifically about the ‘thriller’ sessions. the information provided by the people who were around to witness it, is correct.