Stories in the Room: Michael Jackson's Thriller Album

1nn5

Proud Member
MV5BYTkzNTVjNWMtYTVjYS00NDRlLWFmOTYtMThmNmY3OGJlNzAwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjU2OTU1Ng@@._V1_.jpg

COMING SOON
Releases November 30, 2022

• Stories in the Room: MICHAEL JACKSON's THRILLER ALBUM, is the first season of the podcast series where the musicians, engineers, and producers of iconic albums, share their making-of stories from the studio. In season one, join film composer Anthony Marinelli, who programmed synthesizers for 7 songs on Thriller, AND A&R veteran film producer Steven Ray who assisted Quincy Jones, and was there, every day, in the studio with Quincy and Michael. As we approach the 40th anniversary of the iconic Michael Jackson Thriller album, long time friends Marinelli and Ray re-unite the surviving participants from the album that speak directly from the heart about their shared camaraderie and experience. Much is known about the cultural phenomena that happened after the album's release, but these untold first-hand stories will illuminate the unexpected journey that led to these infectious melodies and beats hitting the streets. Season One guests: Greg Phillinganes, Steve Porcaro, The Waters Family, Paul Jackson Jr., Larry Williams, Matt Forger, Steve Lukather.

Alright looking interesting. Someone should explain me how to watch that when it arrives though, I know nothing of podcasts

MV5BYTkzNTVjNWMtYTVjYS00NDRlLWFmOTYtMThmNmY3OGJlNzAwXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMjU2OTU1Ng@@._V1_.jpg

COMING SOON

• Stories in the Room: MICHAEL JACKSON's THRILLER ALBUM, is the first season of the podcast series where the musicians, engineers, and producers of iconic albums, share their making-of stories from the studio. In season one, join film composer Anthony Marinelli, who programmed synthesizers for 7 songs on Thriller, AND A&R veteran film producer Steven Ray who assisted Quincy Jones, and was there, every day, in the studio with Quincy and Michael. As we approach the 40th anniversary of the iconic Michael Jackson Thriller album, long time friends Marinelli and Ray re-unite the surviving participants from the album that speak directly from the heart about their shared camaraderie and experience. Much is known about the cultural phenomena that happened after the album's release, but these untold first-hand stories will illuminate the unexpected journey that led to these infectious melodies and beats hitting the streets. Season One guests: Greg Phillinganes, Steve Porcaro, The Waters Family, Paul Jackson Jr., Larry Williams, Matt Forger, Steve Lukather.

Sorry, meant to say - thanks so much for sharing this. I've been in shock ever since you posted this. I am delirious with excitement.

I always thought it was a bass guitar !
"Greg Phillinganes is the best-known of the Michael Jackson keyboard bassists, starting with his propulsive piano-and-synth bass line on “Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground)” [from the Jacksons’ Destiny] through his teaming with Michael Boddicker on “Don’t Stop ’Til You Get Enough” [Off the Wall], and “Wanna Be Startin’ Something,” “P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing),” “Billie Jean,” and “Thriller” [all on Thriller]."

Stories In The Room: “Michael Jackson’s Thriller Album” will be distributed worldwide on major podcast channels such as iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, iHeart, TuneIn, Amazon, Google and YouTube.

This is fabulous that it will be broadcast on many platforms, fab that it is going to be on you Tube as an " easy" platform - im grateful for the choice though.

Hear from the players behind the best selling album of all time, Michael Jackson's Thriller Album. Stories In The Room is a new series that features conversations with Steve Porcaro, Paul Jackson Jr., the Waters family, Larry Williams, Greg Phillinganes, Matt Folger and more! You’ll not only learn how the songs were written, performed and recorded, but you’ll also hear the untold back stories about the people behind the studio magic. Hosts Anthony Marinelli (Thriller musician) and Steven Ray (Thriller production assistant) speak with the talented people that contributed to the creation of the songs, performances and recording process in the room with Michael Jackson and Quincy Jones at Westlake Studios.
Season 1: Greg Phillinganes, Steve Porcaro, The Waters Family, Paul Jackson Jr., Larry Williams, Matt Forger, Steve Lukather.
Hosts: Anthony Marinelli + Steven Ray
Produced by: David Wolf / Audivita Studios
Directed/Produced by: Christian D. Bruun

https://linktr.ee/storiesintheroom

COMING SOON

Bumping. It's getting closer. :D

Please, please bump this when it's officially released! I am worried I will forget about it. I need not to forget about it!
I will and you won't.

I will absolutely be bumping this. Unless @1nn5 or someone else does. What I mean is, I have it bookmarked and, if no-one else does it, then for sure I will give it another nudge.

I listened to their instagram live yesterday. they had some interesting stories to share.

my main takeaways were:

there were no live drums used on ‘wanna be startin’ somethin’, ‘p.y.t (pretty young thing), or ‘thriller’. this makes me appreciate those songs even more. ‘thriller’ was made just on the cusp of the electronic wave. the album has that perfect balance between natural and synthesised sounds.

apparently Quincy came up with the title of ‘p.y.t (pretty young thing) whilst driving by some women on the way to a party. he called James Ingram at around 1am to write the song. they also claim the Michael thought that james’ vocals were so amazing on the demo, that he doubted that he could measure up. he tried to emulate them. I would like to know where the demo that Michael wrote with Greg phillinganes fits into all of this? Quincy denies it’s existence for some reason..

most of us were aware that Michael danced as he recorded. did you know that engineer Bruce swedien build a wooden platform in the booth for him to do so? Michael would dance in between takes in the lobby as well.

Michael came up with the famous ‘why oh why’ refrain on ‘human nature’. they let the tape run towards the end, so he could freestyle the sound effects.

Michael recorded his vocals at night. according to his vocal coach Seth Riggs, the voice opens up more after the body has been in a variety of positions during the day.

there’s a lot more, but those are just some things that stood out off the top of my head. it’s definitely worth a listen.

I listened to their instagram live yesterday. they had some interesting stories to share.

my main takeaways were:

there were no live drums used on ‘wanna be startin’ somethin’, ‘p.y.t (pretty young thing), or ‘thriller’. this makes me appreciate those songs even more. ‘thriller’ was made just on the cusp of the electronic wave. the album has that perfect balance between natural and synthesised sounds.

apparently Quincy came up with the title of ‘p.y.t (pretty young thing) whilst driving by some women on the way to a party. he called James Ingram at around 1am to write the song. they also claim the Michael thought that james’ vocals were so amazing on the demo, that he doubted that he could measure up. he tried to emulate them. I would like to know where the demo that Michael wrote with Greg phillinganes fits into all of this? Quincy denies it’s existence for some reason..

most of us were aware that Michael danced as he recorded. did you know that engineer Bruce swedien build a wooden platform in the booth for him to do so? Michael would dance in between takes in the lobby as well.

Michael came up with the famous ‘why oh why’ refrain on ‘human nature’. they let the tape run towards the end, so he could freestyle the sound effects.

Michael recorded his vocals at night. according to his vocal coach Seth Riggs, the voice opens up more after the body has been in a variety of positions during the day.

there’s a lot more, but those are just some things that stood out off the top of my head. it’s definitely worth a listen.
So who was on this? Was it a preview of the podcast that is slated for Nov 30th? Was Matt Forger on this IG live thing?

the walters family who provided backup vocals for ‘wanna be startin’ somethin’, posted this to the instagram page. i wanted them to do the chant lol. fun fact: they also featured on the captain eo song ‘we are here to change the world’.

Interesting ! Is it available to listen again somewhere, as audio-on-demand, or did someone recorded it for us to catch up ?
@zinniabooklover i found the video

my main takeaways were:

Actually there were live drums on P.Y.T.. Not on the others, though, that is correct.

@zinniabooklover i found the video
Fabulous! Thank you so much. I tried to find it myself, failed utterly, lol. Ngl, not familiar with the name Anthony Marinelli so am super interested to find out what this is all about. Just watched the first few minutes, looking good. :D

Back