The Bad Tour Wembley concert vs the concerts in Dangerous Tour and HIStory Tour

And also this one is really perfect costume, but didn't wear on tour;

michael-visits-his-old-school-gardner-street-elementary-school%2845%29-m-2.jpg

Without reading any other posts, this is my opinion:

The Bad tour is probably my favorite tour. Michael's showmanship was at peak form, not to mention that, of the entire tour, only FOUR songs were overdubbed (although Bad was performed live a number of times). His interaction with the audience was a little low early on in the tour, which never REALLY improved. Not to mention that this was the only/last tour where a LOT of fan favorites were performed (Dirty Diana, Another Part of Me, Shake Your Body, Heartbreak Hotel, the full version of Rock with You, Lovely One, etc). I also can't forget to mention his performances of Human Nature and She's Out of My Life, which were MILES above the Dangerous tour, IMO.

The Dangerous tour is tied with the Bad tour for me. Most people think that Michael's dancing improved, but I wouldn't say that. I would say that it was about the same, if not a little worse. For this tour (and later the Dangerous tour), Michael dropped out of the end of Thriller and had a stand-in (a bad one at that) perform the rest for him. But this is the time where lip-synching started expanding; counting through every single song Michael ever performed during the tour, 50% had pre-recorded vocals (including The Way You Make Me Feel, Bad and Dangerous). Of course, I don't mind lip-synching at all; there's a limit that needs to be upheld though.

The HIStory tour was disappointing in every way. I haven't seen a single performance from that tour where Michael is truly putting soul into it. He just seems to be going through the motions just to get it over with. Not to mention that, of EVERY song that was performed during that tour, only two songs (Wanna Be Startin' Somethin' and Jackson 5 Medley) were done live. I feel duped whenever I watch a HIStory tour concert because I'm not getting the true Michael Jackson experience.

Without reading any other posts, this is my opinion:

The Bad tour is probably my favorite tour. Michael's showmanship was at peak form, not to mention that, of the entire tour, only FOUR songs were overdubbed (although Bad was performed live a number of times). His interaction with the audience was a little low early on in the tour, which never REALLY improved. .

He did interact with the crowd one time:

That is awesome!

Love that clip, it seems so out of character for him, its great to see him feeling so in the moment!

Bad Tour - TONS of Energy, Amazing live vocals, 90% live, great costumes!
Dangerous Tour - Less energy, great live vocals, more precise and smoother dancing, 75% live, great setlist.
HIStory Tour - Good setlist (except no MITM :() , Mostly lip-synced, great visuals, less energy than previous tours but moves are more precise and smooth, live vocals were very rough.

So far DWT because it has a bit of everything. I think the only reason he didnt sing live at the end of the show (WYBT, BOW, HTW and MITM) is simply because he was exhausted! Try singing live, while dancing, after doing it for 2 hrs! However I havent seen the Wembley DVD yet so ill wait till then :)

Bad Tour - TONS of Energy, Amazing live vocals, 90% live, great costumes!
Dangerous Tour - Less energy, great live vocals, more precise and smoother dancing, 75% live, great setlist.
HIStory Tour - Good setlist (except no MITM :() , Mostly lip-synced, great visuals, less energy than previous tours but moves are more precise and smooth, live vocals were very rough.

So far DWT because it has a bit of everything. I think the only reason he didnt sing live at the end of the show (WYBT, BOW, HTW and MITM) is simply because he was exhausted! Try singing live, while dancing, after doing it for 2 hrs! However I havent seen the Wembley DVD yet so ill wait till then :)
He didn't sing Jam either and that was the first song. Thriller was also lip-synced on Dangerous Tour.

Bad Tour, Dance & Vocalwise he on form and firing by far my favourite Tour Instrumenatation and the Interludes are perfection

Dangerous Tour, Great engergy Vocals are good in parts Dancing fine tuned to a fault I think WDAN was a bit over the top.

HIStory Tour, Slower but more precise than the Dangerous Tour not a huge fan of the Instrumentation for the songs but still an enjoyable Tour.

HIStory World Tour is the best especially Munich 1997 performance
Haha, in my opinion Munich isn't even the best HIStory concert, let alone best of all. It's probably the best recorded show (video and audio wise) out there, but performance wise not by a long shot.

BAD Tour Vocally was best First Leg Sept - November 1987
Dangerous Tour Was best first leg - basically all of 1992
History tour [NO Comment] - Billie Jean was best in terms of dance...

I always gonna prefer BAD than others, everyone has your opinion, and of course I like the others, but the BAD era it's just magic to me.

And I like the both legs, in first leg his voice is absolutely amazing since he had recently begun the tour, and then the second with the others songs was even more perfect.

I hope that another whole show from BAD Tour in USA gonna be released or a show filmed with quality and editing like "MITM" in "Moonwalker", and also a whole concert from the first eight shows from Dangerous Tour where "TWYMMF" and "BAD" was in setlist and Michael's voice and breath were still fresh.

I really like this thread :)! Reading everyone's posts was very interesting. Well, for me it's difficult to decide but i probably agree with the general consensus that the Bad tour had the best live vocals, the dangerous tour had the best dancing/overall performance, and the history tour had the best stage theatrics. But I must say, I probably love the energy of the dangerous tour the most.

But there is one thing I'm curious about. I've generally considered the History tour to be a great tour with the downside of having alot of playback. But reading alot of these posts made me realize how siginifcant it is for Michael to have performed 82 shows without singing live on any song other than wanna be startin something and the J5 medley..and even when he did it was horrible. So this got me wondering, does anyone know why this was the case? I've heard in the past that Michael had laryngitis, but was this something that came up after he had set up the shows so he couldnt do anything about it and had to resort to playback? I mean it just doesnt seem like Michael to go through an entire set list of like 17-18 songs all playback..

Billie Jean is da best in the Dangerous tour.
1. It is still live
2. Dancing is way better and more perfected than Bad tour
3. He has still Bad tour energy

Bad tour Billie Jean just for the sake of live, but hey, DWT is live too. HWT is the most perfected dancing but tempo is slower (okay, not THAT much bad thing. But I prefer Royal Brunei and 1993 DWT tempo). And it is playback which makes me boring to watch it. He does less of improvs too - there's more of a routine (except the ending dance which always is a bit different).

He did interact with the crowd one time:

That is awesome!

I think that @AlwaysThere, by saying 'interaction with the audience' ment something like he tried to do on HIStory Tour. Before the J5 Medley he was always trying to say something to the audience, to get a little talk. I would say that it was a nice try to create something new but to be honest it's really missing in Mike's shows for me. I think it was mainly caused of his character as he was very shy :) As he once said 'I don't like to talk that much, really' with a smile at his face. He felt very confident at the stage but only when performing :) You have to agree that there was no such interaction during Bad Tour and even Dangerous Tour. But it would be sooo cool to see MJ smiling, talking, singing along with the audience more often during all his tours :)

HIStory Tour:
+ Michael's dancing
+ Earth Song
+ Good at first glance

- Lip-syncing
- Bad direction
- Finale sucks

The first MJ-concert I watched was the HIStory-concert in Auckland, and I was totally blown away. Then I finally got a hold of Munich, and I was even more blown away. But as time went by and I watched it over a bunch of times, it dawned on me that I was basically watching Michael dance to his CDs. I actually hate this tour now. I wouldn't care if they never released a full HIStory concert. The totally out-of-control lip syncing is one thing. The live parts don't even sound that good in most shows. I am f***ing perplexed as to why he would sing WBSS live, when it was THE hardest song to sing live in the entire set list. That's just stupid.

I also don't like what MJ and Kenny Ortega did in terms of direction. Way too many video interludes, way too long breaks in between songs (especially in the 2nd half of the set list) and waaay too many costume changes. I think this would have been an issue in This Is It as well. There's way too many gimmicks that ultimately just detract from the main attractions; Michael and his talent.

Dangerous Tour:
+ Great opening, amazing finale
+ Michael was in great shape, especially in 92
+ Mostly live
+ Will You Be There, Man in the Mirror

- 2nd leg vocals kinda suck
- TWYMMF and Bad weren't performed a lot

Great show. Feels like a healthy mix of the Bad Tour's simplicity and the HIStory Tour's production value. Michael was in great form, especially in the first leg. If you watch clips and amateur recordings of the early shows, it seems like he was as good vocally as he was in the Bad Tour. Quality of vocals on WBSS and Human Nature kind of declined during August and September 1992, especially on WBSS. I loooove the Dangerous versions of Beat It, WDAN and Man in the Mirror though!

I would love to see them re-release a Dangerous concert properly. Bucharest is a great show, and Michael's performance is really good, but the audio on that DVD makes me want to vomit.

Bad Tour:
+ All about the man and his music
+ Great band and dancers
+ Fast-paced
+ Almost entirely live

- Dancing not as dazzling as in the 90's

Michael + great band + no stupid gimmicks = success.

Bad Tour wins in my book.

Last edited:
Do you think maybe Michael just couldn't perform and sing live at 38-39 years old during the HIStory tour? I mean it's very possible. Also I think his weight was a little heavier then as well and adding laryngitis and all. I just feel like maybe age, health, and weight just didn't allow him to really move and sing as swiftly as he did on Dangerous or Bad. But then again there are other artists out there that sing and perform like Madonna for example who continued to do in their 40s and 50s. Sure they don't have the same energy as an MJ concert, but they're still pretty amazing (or so i've heard). So maybe MJ just needed to tone down the dancing a little bit and focus more on ballads. I don't know..it was all about expectations really. Cuz I mean when you listen to his vocals in This Is It..they're beautiful. Human nature, I just can't stop loving you, etc. He even sang Black or white live for the first time ever and it sounded straight out of 1991. So he couldve done that back then but maybe it's the laryngitis that popped out and got in the way..

Also, with regards to MJ interacting with his audience, it's not just the HIStory tour..he was very interactive with his audience pre-Bad tour as well, like in Victory, Triumph, Destiny tours. Very much so in fact. I just think during that time period (Bad/Dangerous) he was maybe trying to be more theatrical..

Billie Jean is da best in the Dangerous tour.
1. It is still live
2. Dancing is way better and more perfected than Bad tour
3. He has still Bad tour energy

Bad tour Billie Jean just for the sake of live, but hey, DWT is live too. HWT is the most perfected dancing but tempo is slower (okay, not THAT much bad thing. But I prefer Royal Brunei and 1993 DWT tempo). And it is playback which makes me boring to watch it. He does less of improvs too - there's more of a routine (except the ending dance which always is a bit different).

I like Bad Tour Billie Jean more. Michael's voice was better in my opinion and it sounded stronger. I also like more how the music sounded on BWT than on DWT. Of course Billie Jean was always amazing! :)

Last edited:
Do you think maybe Michael just couldn't perform and sing live at 38-39 years old during the HIStory tour? I mean it's very possible. Also I think his weight was a little heavier then as well and adding laryngitis and all. I just feel like maybe age, health, and weight just didn't allow him to really move and sing as swiftly as he did on Dangerous or Bad. But then again there are other artists out there that sing and perform like Madonna for example who continued to do in their 40s and 50s. Sure they don't have the same energy as an MJ concert, but they're still pretty amazing (or so i've heard). So maybe MJ just needed to tone down the dancing a little bit and focus more on ballads. I don't know..it was all about expectations really. Cuz I mean when you listen to his vocals in This Is It..they're beautiful. Human nature, I just can't stop loving you, etc. He even sang Black or white live for the first time ever and it sounded straight out of 1991. So he couldve done that back then but maybe it's the laryngitis that popped out and got in the way..

Also, with regards to MJ interacting with his audience, it's not just the HIStory tour..he was very interactive with his audience pre-Bad tour as well, like in Victory, Triumph, Destiny tours. Very much so in fact. I just think during that time period (Bad/Dangerous) he was maybe trying to be more theatrical..

Madonna does lip-synching too.

Bad tour Billie Jean is more boring for me to watch. I don't like the instrumental as much as DWT. Munich 1992 is one of the best BJ's. DWT's instrumental is so much better to me plus there ain't no Sheryl Crow with her screams, yells around chorus which I always find annoying. Bad BJ has constant dark stage through the song. That's minus to me. Bucharest instrumental I didn't like that much though. But other shows sound great. DWT BJ is the best intro ever. Take a look at Bucharest, he's just standing in that light, it's just pure dang epic. Plus the adlibs are better. He even added Dogonne Lover in 1993 same as he does in HWT. I love that. Yet he has still Bad tour energy (and tbh he sometimes even trumps it in BJ hands down. Maybe less in 1993 but def in 1992). Also it has longer and better ending dance than Bad tour. Lol it is just so much damn better.
Also a reason why I became a fan. After watching BJ Bucharest I thought I've never seen anything that spectacular.

Last edited:
HIStory Tour:
+ Michael's dancing
+ Earth Song
+ Good at first glance

- Lip-syncing
- Bad direction
- Finale sucks

The first MJ-concert I watched was the HIStory-concert in Auckland, and I was totally blown away. Then I finally got a hold of Munich, and I was even more blown away. But as time went by and I watched it over a bunch of times, it dawned on me that I was basically watching Michael dance to his CDs. I actually hate this tour now. I wouldn't care if they never released a full HIStory concert. The totally out-of-control lip syncing is one thing. The live parts don't even sound that good in most shows. I am f***ing perplexed as to why he would sing WBSS live, when it was THE hardest song to sing live in the entire set list. That's just stupid.

I also don't like what MJ and Kenny Ortega did in terms of direction. Way too many video interludes, way too long breaks in between songs (especially in the 2nd half of the set list) and waaay too many costume changes. I think this would have been an issue in This Is It as well. There's way too many gimmicks that ultimately just detract from the main attractions; Michael and his talent.

Hate is a very strong word. I agree that History as an overall show lacked the intensity and energy of the previous tousr but this was a MJ Tour after all. It had the best dancing of any tour, great cinematic visuals and great stage outfits.

The popping and locking in Stranger In Moscow and Billie Jean, the end adlibs for YANA and HTW, the performance of Earth Song, Im even gonna add The Off The Wall Medley as high point even though it was lipsynched.

Overall the tour is not at all what you make it out to be.

Last edited:

I Agree :)

The ending, great interaction there :)
[youtube]SCDFwBOem10[/youtube]

He even sang Black or white live for the first time ever and it sounded straight out of 1991. So he couldve done that back then but maybe it's the laryngitis that popped out and got in the way..

Just to keep that straight :D Michael did perform Black or White live during Dangerous Tour at some shows :) You can even find Wembley and Munich on YT :)

Hate is a very strong word. I agree that History as an overall show lacked the intensity and energy of the previous tousr but this was a MJ Tour after all. It had the best dancing of any tour, great cinematic visuals and great stage outfits.

The popping and locking in Stranger In Moscow and Billie Jean, the end adlibs for YANA and HTW, the performance of Earth Song, Im even gonna add The Off The Wall Medley as high point even though it was lipsynched.

Overall the tour is not at all what you make it out to be.

The dance that Michael did at the end of Don't Stop Til You Get Enough during Off The Wall medley was fantastic

Slightly off topic but I really believe the best live concert overall would have been 'One Night Only HBO Special'

Exclude opening/set/elaboration of lighting and pyro etc... (We don't know what the set was going to be like so we cannot say much)

BUT pure performace I really do think it would have been amazing..

We would have gotten the great aspects of both Dangerous and HIStory combined..
From Dangerous to HIStory his dancing became more precise and cordinated, yet he did get a bit slower and less energetic.. So if we would meet in the middle I think it would have brought the best overall performance.

Every performance I saw in 1995 of him he was the crispest he ever was physically dance wise. MTV 1995 is a perfect example, that was his first performance since the allegations and had something to prove.. He did!! and in that concert he would have really showed such great work.

What were the dates of the BAD Tour Los Angeles shows? I saw him at the Sports Arena in 1988 and then he cancelled I think it was the following night because of problems with his vocal chords. The tour went to Japan and then returned to the US and made up the missing Los Angeles shows in early 1989. I remember he didn't perform Dirty Diana in the second return show I saw. Are there set lists of these specific shows anywhere?

**EDIT** Ahh...I googled it and found my answers. Sorry...tee hee

Back